• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

Brazil said:
It's not in the mines. It's in the cave with the first Spelunker quest, to the east of the village. It's called Eye-something Cave, and it has those Lazy Eye monsters in it. And it's not his body - it's just his journal.

woow thanks..!! it drove me crazy lol!!

Now I'm trying to get the trophies..

one is Resurrect in an Outhouse and the other is the "kill 100 chicken" one..

I tried doing both but nothing!! btw I've completed the game, if that makes any difference

Kevtones

Just wanted to pop in and say I loved this game. I got 200/200 and would love some DLC or a raise in the level cap.

Loved the writing too.

Apparently there's a bug in the chicken trophy.. maybe I should've killed the 100 before they turn grey to me?

also the "just die" trophy is not working..

sucks

nli10

almokla said:
Apparently there's a bug in the chicken trophy.. maybe I should've killed the 100 before they turn grey to me?

sucks

On the 360 those are the two you get first.

Can't you start a new game on a different save area (like memory stick on 360 - not sure how PS3 works) and just:

die once

kill the chickens behind the witches house 100 times.

If not you might be glitched out. Check yr stats for chicken kills in the stats book item.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
almokla said:

sucks
Backup your save file and start a new one. It shouldn't be long before you get both Trophies.

I had to do something similar for a PixelJunk Shooter glitched Trophy.

J-Roderton

I Push Fat Kids said:
Just wanted to pop in and say I loved this game. I got 200/200 and would love some DLC or a raise in the level cap.

Loved the writing too.

Totally agree. Picking up where it left off with DLC would be fantastic.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I just wanted to pop in and say that I played the demo a couple weeks ago and found the writing offensively juvenile and repulsive in the worst of ways. It was like playing a video game parody by the guys behind Scary Movie 2. The voice acting and lines read by it made me want to cut myself and I literally was embarrassed to play it while my roommates were around.

I hope for your all's sakes that the whole game isn't like that.
[/troll]

BobsRevenge

That troll had been repressed and boiling inside of me since I first played the demo. :lol

It needed to come out in the most offensive way I could pose it.

bon

BobsRevenge said:
I just wanted to pop in and say that I played the demo a couple weeks ago and found the writing offensively juvenile and repulsive in the worst of ways. It was like playing a video game parody by the guys behind Scary Movie 2. The voice acting and lines read by it made me want to cut myself and I literally was embarrassed to play it while my roommates were around.

[/troll]
I don't care for your opinion, sir.

nli10 said:
On the 360 those are the two you get first.

Can't you start a new game on a different save area (like memory stick on 360 - not sure how PS3 works) and just:

die once

kill the chickens behind the witches house 100 times.

If not you might be glitched out. Check yr stats for chicken kills in the stats book item.

Not sure about XBL, but on PS3 I was able to start a new game and got the two trophies :)

it's a glitch ..

Back to playing RDR after teh PSN mayhem I had last week.. I still have around $15 to spend, and I didn't like Joe Danger at all (don't shoot me please :p)

BobsRevenge said:

[/troll]

I would say that writing is more like Monty Python than Scary Movie.

Sqorgar

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
[/troll]
Scary Movie 2? Aw, man. I was aiming for Scary Movie 3. Ah well. There's always next time...

BobsRevenge

CecilRousso said:
I would say that writing is more like Monty Python than Scary Movie.
If that's true, then Monty Python is a lot worse than I remember it being when I saw their movies 7 years ago when my friends went through that phase. :lol

Kevtones

eznark said:
Just saw that. Hmmm. I was hoping for an expansion.

Same. I kind of wanted them to raise the level cap and have a more fleshed out endgame but I like the fact it's changing things up.

Plus, it's a sequel 2 months later and that's just awesome :)

eznark

Banned
I have a hard time with the $15, personally, especially when it's coming out. 6 weeks ago or whatever was perfect timing. September? get outta here.

I Push Fat Kids said:
I'm more curious why the original wasn't part of the Summer of Arcade? Probably would've helped sell better :/

Microsoft requires all Summer of Arcade games to be "exclusives". Lara Croft PSN has a delayed release to qualify, and that's why Scott Pilgrim wasn't released during the SoA.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm looking forward to Thongs of Virtue. Considering the cliffhanger at the end of the first one...

Kevtones

HadesGigas said:
Microsoft requires all Summer of Arcade games to be "exclusives". Lara Croft PSN has a delayed release to qualify, and that's why Scott Pilgrim wasn't released during the SoA.

That makes sense.

Also, DeathSpank is a 10-15 hour game.

J-Roderton

thetrin said:
I'm looking forward to Thongs of Virtue. Considering the cliffhanger at the end of the first one...

Some of the screenshots I've seen suggest they do pick up where DS left off. Exactly what I was hoping for.

MrDaravon

I Push Fat Kids said:
That makes sense.

Also, DeathSpank is a 10-15 hour game.

I don't understand how anyone could spend more than 7-8 hours on DeathSpank. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but I got stuck like a total dumbass on a part for probably 45 minutes, and STILL got 200/200 in 8 hours at the very most (started after breakfast, finished before dinner). People need to stop inflating the hour count to try to sell people on the game.

BlueSummers said:
What's the best way to get to level 20? I'm at 19 with 1 more quest to do and my bar isn't moving at all. Just grind Unicorns?

I found that the turtles were really quick to kill and gave you a lot of experience points if you have the game set on Hard.

BeeDog

BlueSummers said:
What's the best way to get to level 20? I'm at 19 with 1 more quest to do and my bar isn't moving at all. Just grind Unicorns?

Grinding Unicorns is the best; goes much faster than you might think.

Atomski

Crazy the next game is out already... pretty sure I have to much else to play. Won't probably touch it till next year some time.

Yeah, I bought it because the two DLC packs (a co-op character & a dungeon) are bundled for free this week only, but I really don't have the time to play it at the moment. Completed the first major quest though, seems like it's exactly more of the same (but that's no bad thing, imo).

Sqorgar

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Completed the first major quest though, seems like it's exactly more of the same (but that's no bad thing, imo).
It's exactly more of the same. The original DeathSpank was broken into two parts some time between the PAX announcement and the first game's release (I can say that much because Ron already said it on his site). In fact, the first couple dialogues I wrote were from the section that became the second game. It isn't a sequel or episode or spinoff or anything like that. It is the second half of a single gaming experience - the half with all the plot and puzzles.

Shurs

Sqorgar said:
It's exactly more of the same. The original DeathSpank was broken into two parts some time between the PAX announcement and the first game's release (I can say that much because Ron already said it on his site). In fact, the first couple dialogues I wrote were from the section that became the second game. It isn't a sequel or episode or spinoff or anything like that. It is the second half of a single gaming experience - the half with all the plot and puzzles.

A single game broken up into two $15 products? This is the worst possible advertisement for the game(s).

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I think I'll grab this tonight as my wife and I loved playing Deathspank Part 1.

Is the co-op character much in the same vein as the wizard in part 1?

Sqorgar

Banned
Shurs said:
A single game broken up into two $15 products? This is the worst possible advertisement for the game(s).
Wasn't my decision, and I won't pretend that I like it. If it makes you feel better, I doubt it was ever the whole game for $15. More likely it was intended to be a $30 game (and easily worth the money) that got broken into two $15 games. You aren't getting screwed. It just divides and dilutes the impact of each individual half. I'm afraid the break between games and unexpectedness of the divide affected expectations negatively for the second half - which, for all intents and purposes should be a better, more complete experience (it has an ending).

Sqorgar

Banned
Witchfinder General said:
Is the co-op character much in the same vein as the wizard in part 1?
Similar in that he doesn't level and shares health, but Steve is a man's man. Voice of an angel, riding a unicorn, shooting rainbows, and attacking with katanas and throwing stars. Chuck Norris is half the man Steve is. There's a third DLC character, free this week, which is an orque. Haven't tried him out yet. All I need is Steve.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Sqorgar said:
Similar in that he doesn't level and shares health, but Steve is a man's man. Voice of an angel, riding a unicorn, shooting rainbows, and attacking with katanas and throwing stars. Chuck Norris is half the man Steve is. There's a third DLC character, free this week, which is an orque. Haven't tried him out yet. All I need is Steve.

Cool. I loved having my wife play as the wizard as his damage seemed to go up depending on the level I was and wasn't dependent on any resistance, which meant my wife managed to beat the crap out of ghosts while I ran in fear. Good times.

Sqorgar said:
Wasn't my decision, and I won't pretend that I like it. If it makes you feel better, I doubt it was ever the whole game for $15. More likely it was intended to be a $30 game (and easily worth the money) that got broken into two $15 games. You aren't getting screwed. It just divides and dilutes the impact of each individual half. I'm afraid the break between games and unexpectedness of the divide affected expectations negatively for the second half - which, for all intents and purposes should be a better, more complete experience (it has an ending).

Theres never been a $30 XBLA game, perhaps they'd been planning to release it at $20. There's a handful of games at that price (mostly godawful games ironically enough).

loving the new one so far. game seems to run a little less smooth than the first, but no biggie.

does anyone else feel like he reads his lines slower in this than the first game?

burgerdog

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, I bought it because the two DLC packs (a co-op character & a dungeon) are bundled for free this week only, but I really don't have the time to play it at the moment. Completed the first major quest though, seems like it's exactly more of the same (but that's no bad thing, imo).
On xbl you don't need to buy the game to get the free dlc. They are separate downloads so you can get the free dlc and buy the game later.

Sqorgar

Banned
HadesGigas said:
Theres never been a $30 XBLA game, perhaps they'd been planning to release it at $20. There's a handful of games at that price (mostly godawful games ironically enough).
I am not privy to those discussions or decisions. If it were up to me, DS would be a full priced disc game with snazzy holographic limited edition packaging. Also, my name in big, shiny letters, blinding in it's purity and awesomeness. Regardless of who wants to get who's money, I think DS is a steal at $30. I've bought far worse, shorter games for far more money. If only gamers could get that screwed with all their games.

burgerdog

Sqorgar said:
I am not privy to those discussions or decisions. If it were up to me, DS would be a full priced disc game with snazzy holographic limited edition packaging. Also, my name in big, shiny letters, blinding in it's purity and awesomeness. Regardless of who wants to get who's money, I think DS is a steal at $30. I've bought far worse, shorter games for far more money. If only gamers could get that screwed with all their games.
Is ToV around 5 hours, too? That would be a $30 10 hour game! I paid $60 for a 5 hour mw2 campaign run :( Not big on mw mp.

Sqorgar

Banned
burgerdog said:
Is ToV around 5 hours, too? That would be a $30 10 hour game! I paid $60 for a 5 hour mw2 campaign run :( Not big on mw mp.
If you won DS in 5 hours, you had to be skipping all my glorious dialogue. Shame on you!

TOV should be longer than the first one. Most people peg the first game at around 7-8 hours for a typical 100% run through. ToV should probably hit about 12-13 hours for those same people. I haven't won it yet, and none of the reviewers have mentioned time yet, so I can't say for sure. But DeathSpank has enough quirky characters for ten lesser games.

burgerdog

Sqorgar said:
If you won DS in 5 hours, you had to be skipping all my glorious dialogue. Shame on you!

TOV should be longer than the first one. Most people peg the first game at around 7-8 hours for a typical 100% run through. ToV should probably hit about 12-13 hours for those same people. I haven't won it yet, and none of the reviewers have mentioned time yet, so I can't say for sure. But DeathSpank has enough quirky characters for ten lesser games.
I'll have to check my completion time tomorrow. If it was indeed 5 hours, I still got my money's worth, loved every second of it.

ToV seems to be quite lengthy, then! I'll buy it tomorrow.

Top Bottom