• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai (XBLA) Official Thread

Baker

Banned
Man, fuck achievements that aren't in multiples of 5.

At least there are enough here that maybe I can get mine back to "normal."

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I got online a lot later than I had hoped...

Just bought the game and messed around in the first level ala the XNA demo - first super-quick impression is that the controls are TIGHT, and the 60fps is impressive and makes the game look even more fluid...

Time to go play! :D

-PXG-

Downloaded the demo just to try it out. I was already gonna buy it, but hey, just try it out just in case...

HOLY SHIT!!!

FUCK WIN!

So awesome!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Played up till level 5 in Story Mode, but I gotta head out to some friends this evening - the game is awesome.

Any Ninja Gaiden/DMC/huge action fan owes it to themselves to buy this game!

Will the online components not work for anyone else? It's says I'm not signed into live even though I am...I got this to play co-op with some people, but I can't!

I noticed in the options it's got a controller setup for using an arcade stick too, I didn't even think about using my street fighter stick for this!

Rlan

I was getting those "not online" messages too. Load into another game quickly (via the quick change thing in the Xbox button menu) and go back in afterwards, should be fine then.

This game is full of win, controls are slick, combat system is deep enough, loving the damn TELEPORTATION BLADE! Way better than Castle Crashers, where combat is basicly Jump+Swing. Love the setting, comic rolls as a plot device work nicely as well.

Just finished the story (on normal) a few minutes ago. So far my only real complaint with the game is the graphics. Sometimes the game is just a visual mess, and you can lose track of where you are pretty easily, especially if you're teleporting around. Other than that, it's awesome.

Arcade mode seems pretty good too. Just tried out the first level and got 2nd on the leaderboard. :D

I'm sure that won't last too long though

Grecco said:
yeah the shift sword blows. I just use it when i have to use the warp to get places and then back to cleavers.

Nah, the shift sword is awesome.. you can take out those armed mercenaries super easy with it, when they yell "Grenade!" just right analog stick up twice and destroy them at the top of their tether.

Llyranor

Demo was a good challenge on Ninja. The room just before you get to the boss got me killed a whole bunch of times. Core gameplay is enjoyable.

Is the co-op for arcade mode only? That mode is pretty fun, but from the 3 maps I've played, it is much much too easy. The main reason I'd get this game would be for the co-op, and having unchallenging maps to go through, even if there's a good number of them, makes me hesitant.

AkuMifune

Banned
Rei_Toei said:
Fun but difficult. Haven't played much yet but definitely challenging. But I suck with these kind of games so that doesn't help :)

Agreed. I made it to level 5 in the story mode, but some parts were pretty tough. I just hope I can make it through. I can see where some people criticize the sprites, but the visual style is so awesome I don't even care.

Anyone wanna break down some weapon strategies or good combos they've found? I find the cleavers to be absolutely brutal but get my ass kicked when I'm trying to use the sword. It just leaves too much of an opening for the enemies. Maybe if you upgrade it?

ultim8p00

Banned
Ok what's the most damaging weapon in the game? I'm using the shift sword and that thing does shit-damage.

I'm currently stuck at the axe boss. How the hell to I beat this guy. Fucking zombies keep coming at me.

Also I hate those machine gun assholes. They keep spamming that grenade shit goddamn.

Amir0x

Banned
I really should have played the trial before buying this one outright. The style is fucking ugly, and IGN is actually right about the incoherent, blurry story parts. It's so bad it does create a little distracting blackhole of awful.

As for the combat itself... it's ok, lots of mind numbing juggling and combo repetition, but enemies are pretty fucking stupid and you can pretty much subdue the horde using a few well honed techniques.

I don't like this game. Damn the no refunds :(

Llyranor said:
Demo was a good challenge on Ninja. The room just before you get to the boss got me killed a whole bunch of times. Core gameplay is enjoyable.

Is the co-op for arcade mode only? That mode is pretty fun, but from the 3 maps I've played, it is much much too easy. The main reason I'd get this game would be for the co-op, and having unchallenging maps to go through, even if there's a good number of them, makes me hesitant.
There's an item in the second level or somewhere that let's player two play as the guy's shadow. Don't know if that's co-op, but sounds like it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Baker said:
Man, fuck achievements that aren't in multiples of 5.

At least there are enough here that maybe I can get mine back to "normal."
Look on the bright side. If you're 1310 or under and you get a 13 and a 14 pt achievement you can have an 1337 gamerscore.

rinker

Just finished the story. Was pretty tough until I started using the chainsaw. I liked it overall though.

Kum0

One of the best download titles I have played.

The game is massive, and for 800MSP I think it's well worth it.

Considering the garbage that comes out for more!!!

More people need to buy it, it's one of XBLA stand out games. For me it can easily hold it's own against other high end XBLA titles like Geo Wars and SSF2HDR.

Go buy it!:D

border

Does it get any better than the demo?

I was hoping this would be an actual sidescroller, but all it does is lock you on one screen and spawn the same 2 enemies again and again.....then let you move to the next screen where you fight the same enemies again.

Jube3

border said:
Does it get any better than the demo?

I was hoping this would be an actual sidescroller, but all it does is lock you on one screen and spawn the same 2 enemies again and again.....then let you move to the next screen where you fight the same enemies again.

It kinda reminded of Symphony of the night, atleast the graveyard level did. But yea you move to a screen but its not left to right the whole time, you get choices up down left right etc.

bengraven

Amir0x said:
I really should have played the trial before buying this one outright. The style is fucking ugly, and IGN is actually right about the incoherent, blurry story parts. It's so bad it does create a little distracting blackhole of awful.

As for the combat itself... it's ok, lots of mind numbing juggling and combo repetition, but enemies are pretty fucking stupid and you can pretty much subdue the horde using a few well honed techniques.

I don't like this game. Damn the no refunds :(

As much as it pains me, I agree. I applaude the effort to combine Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Afro Samurai, but that doesn't forgive the flaws.

The art style tries hard too hard to look like Slave Labor Graphics but is very inferior to the black and white Goth comics those books are - this is not Roman Dirge and Jhonen Vasquez as much as it tries to be. This is one case I can honestly say I COULD do a better job drawing this.

The gameplay is fast and furious and I wouldn't complain too much about it if it didn't feel familiar in every aspect. The "kill" concept at the end is satisfying, but not satisfying enough to purchase it.

And as much as I hate to say this, because my son has seen me play RE5, Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood quests and GTAIV, but this is way too fucking violent for my 2 year old to catch Daddy watching. This is the first time I've actually felt almost conservative while playing a game in front of my kid. :/

I thought it was cool. I don't understand why the story parts are so blury and I would rather have the option to use the D-pad (even as bad as it is) instead of the left stick but the action is good. I like the visual style as well.

I would have worked on pacing though. The first level is a little too hard and I beat Ninja Gaiden and NGII, so I know hard. Difficult games are fine, but not within the first few parts of the game. Other than that, I have no other complaints so far.

I'm still on the fence about it but I'll play the demo a few more times before I decide if I want to spend my time and get really into it.

bengraven said:
And as much as I hate to say this, because my son has seen me play RE5, Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood quests and GTAIV, but this is way too fucking violent for my 2 year old to catch Daddy watching. This is the first time I've actually felt almost conservative while playing a game in front of my kid. :/
It's ok for your kid to watch realistic huge 3D images of heads getting blown off and monsters jumping out of the bodies, but not ok for him to see violence from small blury cartoon sprites that look like they were hand drawn in a note pad?

Gowans

just got my internet on after the move, first thing is buy and download the game.

its done! impressions later.

Gowans

Bloody hell my fingers hurt, got killed just into the second level, love the teleporting sword I've been going nightcrawler on peoples arses.

bengraven

Dark Octave said:
It's ok for your kid to watch realistic huge 3D images of heads getting blown off and monsters jumping out of the bodies, but not ok for him to see violence from small blury cartoon sprites that look like they were hand drawn in a note pad?

It never bothered me until I saw sprays of blood that literally cover the entire screen and his eyes watching it, going "WTF is this?".

NG28

Damn should I buy this for $10 or DMC4 for $17? (I have DMC3SE which I heard was better, so that makes the decision harder)

bengraven said:

This makes zero sense.

bengraven

SNUG REVOL said:
This makes zero sense.

It was just an observation, not a review of the game. My review was earlier.

Just a personal moment reflected, not some jab at the game. The jab at the game was how shitty it is.

Mik2121 said:
You've got to be fucking kidding me.

I even made a thread saying this, but I'll say it again. This game is just way too UGLY.

newicongaf2.png

f3gm8i.jpg

2jc65bq.jpg

j/k, I agree with you, game is fugly as hell

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The peter moore achievement is awesome. :lol

I got to the level 5 boss and lost all my continues and have to redo it(normal), pretty tough game at points, but it's awesome. I also got 11 million on the second arcade level and it actually put me at rank 44, doesn't seem to have all that many people on it yet. Still, how the hell is 100 million possible(for the one achievement)?

Mamesj

Banned
bengraven said:

what the fuck

bengraven

Mamesj said:
what the fuck

For the last time, my kid has happened to be in the room when I was playing games with friends. I'm not purposely exposing him to this kind of thing.

Jesus, GAF begs for drama. And none of you probably have kids.

bengraven said:
For the last time, my kid has happened to be in the room when I was playing games with friends. I'm not purposely exposing him to this kind of thing.

I think everyone means this: assuming your kids sees all those games by accident how can you have a problem with Dishwasher but not with zombie ppl with GIANT TENTACLE ON THEIR HEADS, Silent Hill-wannabes, or running ppl over in GTAIV?

Trust me, he's going to be scared shitless by tentacle guy than by a bit of red color on the screen (doubt he can piece it together at the age of 2).

Back on topic: I don't get why some ppl find this game ugly. It's hand-drawn 2D graphic with unique style. I prefer it way over bad 3D animation (and 3D animation in general lol). Game has it's style which fits the theme.

mrWalrus

Banned
I knew I left 800 points in my account for a reason. This game looks superb!
Where would we be without Independent developers?

Mamesj

Banned
bengraven said:

it's just a little ridiculous. Realistic violence plus all the cursing in the world in GTA vs. cartoony blood that the kid probably doesn't connect with the tiny drops of red stuff that come out when he scrapes his knee. Though at 2 years old, maybe the kid wouldn't connect anything with anything.

I'm not claiming to be a kid expert, it's just pretty odd. also it has nothing to do with having kids or not.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wheeliedude said:
Game is hard, even on Normal.
I hate those gas-mask guys that parry your attacks and spam the grenades.

Yeah, they always get me with that. Sometimes 2-3 will do it nearly at the same time and you can barely see what's happening. :lol

I'm on level 6 now and ever since the end of 5 I've been struggling a lot. That fucking boss got me in that charge attack and killed me before I knew it, I had to redo that whole level atleast 3 times. Now I got to another boss fight on 6 that keeps killing me after I do the B attack, it lobs missiles all over the place.

Gowans

Wheeliedude said:
Game is hard, even on Normal.
I hate those gas-mask guys that parry your attacks and spam the grenades.

Yeah that's the guys that were softening me up far to much last night, my health would drop quicker than a chavs knickers.

Love when you get into a good run in the combat, massive combo, blood everywhere including your character who is dripping in it. Tonight I'm hoping to get a good few hours to put into it.

Top Bottom