• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

omgkitty

For anyone here who has seen Tangled, what Disney movie would you compare it to? I keep hearing everyone gush about it, but I have not really been impressed by the trailer. I might check it out, but was wondering what other Disney movies it is like and also what some of your favorite Disney movies are to help me get a sense of your tastes.

MrEnglishPanda said:
For anyone here who has seen Tangled, what Disney movie would you compare it to? I keep hearing everyone gush about it, but I have not really been impressed by the trailer. I might check it out, but was wondering what other Disney movies it is like and also what some of your favorite Disney movies are to help me get a sense of your tastes.
Hmm.

I'd say it's a combo of Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty with a dash of The Emperor's New Groove.

omgkitty

Hmm...Beauty and the Beast really wasn't my favorite. Also, am I the only one who thought Beauty and the Beast's art looks like crap? It looks cheap to me when watching on Blu-ray.

MrEnglishPanda said:
Hmm...Beauty and the Beast really wasn't my favorite. Also, am I the only one who thought Beauty and the Beast's art looks like crap? It looks cheap to me when watching on Blu-ray.
I heard the exact opposite. A friend of mine was really impressed by the animation. I'd love to see it for myself though.

Jeff Albertson said:
I'd say Tangled also has Aladdin tones about it, it's so so much better than the Shrekesque trailers would let you believe

indeed i got the blu ray on recommendations after passing over the movie for looking shrekesque non-disneyish. watched it yesterday and loved it, it really is a lot like the old disney princess movies, i can't really do the whole comparison to other movies thing well.

linkboy

Flo_Evans said:
This reminds me... having a kid in a matter of weeks! I need to pick some of these up.

Congrats on the baby.

My 3 month old son (and my 14yr old stepdaughter if we get custody) is the reason why I've been picking these up. He'll get to grow up with all of the Disney classics in high def (as opposed to me with VHS).

see5harp

MrEnglishPanda said:

I personally think it looks good, but it does look a bit "sketchy" compared to some of the classic Disney films.

So is $24.99 the cheapest you'll find Tangled 3d?

omgkitty

icarus-daedelus said:
I think all of the CAPS movies of the 90s have an overly 'clean' look to them compared to the completely hand-drawn/painted/inked movies of the 30s - 50s, plus some poorly integrated CGI. I wouldn't necessarily call it cheap, but I do like the style of older films much better.

Yeah I remember reading some stuff on the animation on Wikipedia.

Production of Beauty and the Beast had to be completed on a compressed timeline of two years rather than four because of the loss of production time spent developing the earlier Purdam version of the film.
Beauty and the Beast was the second film produced using CAPS (Computer Animation Production System), a digital scanning, ink, paint, and compositing system of software and hardware developed for Disney by Pixar.

So yeah, this could be part of the reason why I think it doesn't look as good. I personally think the later CAPs films look better and also believe that Beauty and the Beast is probably one of the most overrated Disney movies ever.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Tron Legacy coupon isn't active yet, but it seems like it'll be $5 according to the Target ad. It's actually cheaper to get both movies separately it seems.

Tron: Legacy (2 Disc)- $19.99
Tron (2 Disc Classic)- $19.99
Tron: Legacy 3D (4 Disc)- $24.99
The Ultimate Tron Experience (5 Disc)- $64.99

*Save $8 Instantly When You Buy Any Tron: Legacy AND Tron Classic Together.
* Get A $5 Off Coupon For Tron: Legacy @ Target.com/Movies.. (DISNEY COUPON!!!)

Tron Legacy 4-disc set: $24.99
Tron Classic 2-disc set: $19.99
$5 DMR coupon: -$5.00
$8 off combined purchase: -$8.00

Total = $31.98 AC.

omgkitty

Wario64 said:
Tron Legacy coupon isn't active yet, but it seems like it'll be $5 according to the Target ad. It's actually cheaper to get both movies separately it seems.

Total = $31.98 AC.

Technically, the 5 disc they are showing could be the one with the identity disk, but who knows. Also, chances are, the coupon probably wont work with the $8 off because normally the Disney coupons are not active with other coupons, or the coupon could be just for the 5 disc set....maybe I should just wait for the coupon to come out. Then again, I will probably just pay $50 for the set on Amazon.

Wario64 said:

Total = $31.98 AC.

Sounds like a deal for me, though I was planning on getting the 5-disc set, so that I don't have to deal with 2 separate cases for the movies. Just ordered Tangled 3D for in-store pickup at Best Buy so I'll just give them the $5 off coupon once I get it tonight.

Man Tangled is beautiful in 3D. It's a damn shame I have an eye for framerate so I think that's causing me to see the active sutter working so it feels like a constant flicker. Too bad since the depth looks really good.

mrkgoo

Been thinking about getting tangled on iTunes, but not sure I can handle the 7GB download this month.

anyone know about the SD-HD versions on iTunes? I know they download and sit together in the folder, but can I just delete the standard version and have iTunes just 'recognise, only the hd version is present?

MrEnglishPanda said:

Maybe not the only one, but a minority for sure. I'm not sure what effect is making it seem that way to you. Did you see it on blu-ray? If not, the DVD was compressed to all hell, especially in the backgrounds.

On another note, I watched Sleeping Beauty with my daughter. Now that is some detailed multi-layered art.

mrkgoo said:
Been thinking about getting tangled on iTunes, but not sure I can handle the 7GB download this month.

anyone know about the SD-HD versions on iTunes? I know they download and sit together in the folder, but can I just delete the standard version and have iTunes just 'recognise, only the hd version is present?

Get the DVD, comes with digital copy.

You can delete the standard version if you want, just make sure if you sync to tell your device to allow HD versions.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Wario64 said:

Total = $31.98 AC.

That's the best deal that I can see (besides even the price.) I wanted to get the 3D version of Legacy just for future purposes, but I also wanted to get a DVD copy of the original Tron. With the Tron 5 Disc set at Amazon (preordered for $45) I wouldn't get a DVD copy of Tron as far as I can tell.

isny

napkin dispenser
DJ_Tet said:
That's the best deal that I can see (besides even the price.) I wanted to get the 3D version of Legacy just for future purposes, but I also wanted to get a DVD copy of the original Tron. With the Tron 5 Disc set at Amazon (preordered for $45) I wouldn't get a DVD copy of Tron as far as I can tell.

You would not. It would be the only thing missing.

No idea what I'm doing yet personally, as being in Canada makes it hard to find deals like the above one.

I have a five disc preordered at Amazon for $42 and some change, so I'm thinking it may be best to just keep that and then try to get them to give me an additional $5 credit for the coupon.

Guess we'll see next week...

Magnus

Goddamn, only a $5 coupon, and only for the 3D edition? That'll still be $29.99 up here. I'll wait, as awesome as I hear this film is. Not paying $30 for it blindly.

Dead

well not really...yet
Picked up Tanled 4 disc at Target, also took advantage of their $10 gift card offer and finally got Snow White as well.

Jintor

Ok so i don't actually have a Blu Ray player. But given that it's pretty much a certainty we'll get one eventually, and that the vault opens and closes like clockwork, is it absolute madness to just go out and grab the Blu Rays while they're still available?

Jintor said:
Ok so i don't actually have a Blu Ray player. But given that it's pretty much a certainty we'll get one eventually, and that the vault opens and closes like clockwork, is it absolute madness to just go out and grab the Blu Rays while they're still available?
Do it.

They're all combo packs, so you'll get a DVD you can watch for now with the Blu-ray you can watch once you've upgraded.

People in your situation are the reason Disney started making them.

BertramCooper said:
Do it.

They're all combo packs, so you'll get a DVD you can watch for now with the Blu-ray you can watch once you've upgraded.

People in your situation are the reason Disney started making them.
Tempted to do just this but in the end it's spending alot of money I shouldn't really be spending in the first place.

Jintor

Sweet, I think I get paid this week too.

/edit Man, I think Beauty and the Beast has the most amount of disney songs I absolutely love. Belle, Gaston, Tale as Old as Time, Something There, Be Our Guest, the Mob Song... madness!

AbsoluteZero said:
Tempted to do just this but in the end it's spending alot of money I shouldn't really be spending in the first place.
For most of them, you've still got a bit of time. But if you want to get all of them, you'll need to go after the ones that are disappearing soon (Fantasia, Snow White, Pinocchio). Bambi, Alice, and Beauty and the Beast will be around for quite a while, so worry about those ones later. Sleeping Beauty might be tricky at this point - Amazon is already out of stock.

Do what you can. If you miss out, they'll come back around eventually, but it will take a while.

Jintor said:

go for it, funds allowing, it's exactly what i'm doing. watching the dvds will do for now, can't wait to upgrade!

natasi

Neo Member
I thought, after comparing scenes from both the DVD and Blu-ray of Beauty & the Beast on my 52" HDTV, that the blu-ray was pretty awesome. My only complaint is that it made the digitally animated scenes look extremely outdated.

omgkitty

icarus-daedelus said:
The Lion King is probably the best looking of that bunch, as that's when they really got the hang of that system of production, although Mulan and Hunchback are damn fine as well. I'm not really the biggest fan of that style myself, though I don't blame them for using it. I just miss the olden days of going for broke to make a beautiful, seamless hand-drawn film even when they went way the hell over budget and failed to make profit back until several decades and re-realeases later (Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi, and Sleeping Beauty being the main offenders.)

I completely agree with everything you just said.

Here's a question that I've been pondering: What is your overall opinion of the Vault policy?

My first reaction is that it's annoying, inconvenient and promotes piracy (all three are true).

But at the same time, I respect Disney for doing it and understand their reasons for doing so. Furthermore, it's hard to be angry at them for it when they've done such an amazing job restoring the films (with a couple notable exceptions).

And also, they really do offer some tremendous deals for people who buy the films close to release. Plus, it's just kind of fun to talk about.

I'm really glad this thread has been such a success. I'm a certified Disney animation freak, so I've enjoyed some really good discussion in this thread.

Dead

well not really...yet
Im pretty sure I found the last copy of Sleeping Beauty in the vicinity of where I live when I bought it. Though its too bad theres a cut across the front of the slipcover :\

AirBrian

VisionaryQuest0 said:
Do it, it's so worth it. I picked it up blind too based on all the good will that was shown towards the movie.
Watched it tonight -- definitely glad I picked it up (BB for $25 - $5 coupon = $20). My goodness it looks awesome on Blu-ray. And I know it's already been discussed, but what the hell was the Disney marketing department thinking in creating the previews for it. It does the movie no justice at all.

AirBrian said:
Watched it tonight -- definitely glad I picked it up (BB for $25 - $5 coupon = $20). My goodness it looks awesome on Blu-ray. And I know it's already been discussed, but what the hell was the Disney marketing department thinking in creating the previews for it. It does the movie no justice at all.
The lukewarm box office success of The Princess and the Frog got Disney worried that Tangled wouldn't appeal enough to boys, so they went overboard in de-emphasizing the whole princess stuff in the marketing. I was extremely concerned that Disney's pandering was going to adversely affect the quality of the film itself, but thankfully that was not the case.

Tangled is a tremendous achievement in almost every respect. And given its extremely turbulent and protracted development, it is about a hundred times better than I thought it would be.

Magnus

You guys are definitely hyping this one up like crazy; I think I'm going to have to blind-buy. Maybe next week.

Magnus said:
You guys are definitely hyping this one up like crazy; I think I'm going to have to blind-buy. Maybe next week.
Don't let our hyping hurt your opinion when you finally watch it or anything. :lol

Just keep in mind how hellish the development process was for this film, and how amazing it is that such a great film came out of it.

This film should have been shit. But it's fantastic.

see5harp

I got home, walked my dog, casually printed both coupons and drove to Target. 5 Targets in the Sacramento area were completely sold out of the 3D version. Insane but I finally grabbed one of 9 remaining copies for $14.99. Thank you Disney whores for pointing out the coupon extravaganza!

see5harp

Jintor said:
Sweet, I think I get paid this week too.

/edit Man, I think Beauty and the Beast has the most amount of disney songs I absolutely love. Belle, Gaston, Tale as Old as Time, Something There, Be Our Guest, the Mob Song... madness!

I was humming Gaston at work all last week. By the end of the week I overheard other random people singing it and asking "I wonder why I'm thinking about that Beauty and the Beast song?" Completely serious.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Apparently the Target ad for Tron Legacy says that you can't combine $5 coupon with the $8 promo. That sucks.

Top Bottom