• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

linkboy

I picked up the 3D version today (even though I don't have a 3D TV, I figure I'll put the 3D disc for sale, I don't need it). Watching it right now and I totally love this movie. Especially the horse, such a great character.

Easily the best Disney movie they've released in years.

Picked up my copy of Tangled 3D from Best Buy yesterday, though I had to buy it outright at the store to use the coupon rather than pick up my online order. Couldn't beat paying $19.99 plus tax for the 4-disc set.

Called BB Customer Service and they cancelled the order with no problems, so everything goes back to paypal.

And yes, I find myself humming songs from Beauty & the Beast more often than not. Belle, in particular, is always hummed at least once a day.

Watched Tangled last night for the first time and I really enjoyed it. The music was a bit eh, kind of forgettable but serviceable, the only real standout was "I've Got a Dream". The story and the animation was top notch though and I ended up really liking it. Much better and more in line with Disney's other princess movies than the advertising made it seem.

isny

napkin dispenser
I had opened up a chat with Amazon this morning to find out why my Price Guarantee didn't kick in when Tangled dropped to $24.99. The rep first played stupid, and then when pushed said he would do the adjustment.

This evening I've now received two emails. One saying my adjustment would be done. This was the standard email that I had been waiting for and never received due to the price drop, and then another email from the rep saying he was also adjusting $5.00 as a refund for me.

Item(s) Subtotal: $29.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Promotion Applied: -$10.00
Your Coupon Savings: -$8.00
-----
Total Before Tax: $11.99
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00
-----
Grand Total: $11.99

Refund date: March 30, 2011
Refund Amount: $5.00
Refund date: March 30, 2011
Refund Amount: $5.00

My total cost for this ended up being $1.99 >.> (Too bad we'll never get a Disney deal as good as this again with these silly $5.00 coupons)

BertramCooper said:
Don't let our hyping hurt your opinion when you finally watch it or anything. :lol

Just keep in mind how hellish the development process was for this film, and how amazing it is that such a great film came out of it.

This film should have been shit. But it's fantastic.

Hellish development? I love reading about that stuff. Can you point me towards any articles?

Bought this yesterday, took out the disc, fired up my PS3... which chose that exact moment to re-YLOD on me.

Rage.

Hopefully reflowing with flux works a second time, I've been dying to watch this again.

It was in Story for a long time, and they spent awhile working on it with Keene's sculptural drawing idea. Probably a lot of money spent that didn't go into the final product.

Morn

Banned
They also developed an all new and proprietary tablet technology that allowed Keane to draw as if he was doing a traditional animated movie and have it translated into 3D.

Magnus

Holy shit, second-most expensive film production of all time? And 3/4 of a fucking billion dollars raked in worldwide? I had no idea Tangled was so successful.

I seriously mentioned it to almost everyone I talked with (family, friends, classmates) over the last few days to gauge things, and I swear, not a single person had even heard of the film. I didn't even know when it was in theatres, and only realized it was released when its run was ending, thanks to GAF. How in the world did this slip everyone by?

And yeah, I blind-bought it yesterday ($29 for the 4-disc...AFTER the coupon :( Fucking Canada), and am looking forward to it this weekend.

Magnus said:
Holy shit, second-most expensive film production of all time? And 3/4 of a fucking billion dollars raked in worldwide? I had no idea Tangled was so successful.

I seriously mentioned it to almost everyone I talked with (family, friends, classmates) over the last few days to gauge things, and I swear, not a single person had even heard of the film. I didn't even know when it was in theatres, and only realized it was released when its run was ending, thanks to GAF. How in the world did this slip everyone by?

And yeah, I blind-bought it yesterday ($29 for the 4-disc...AFTER the coupon :( Fucking Canada), and am looking forward to it this weekend.

Apparently we were in the minority. Just never got around to seeing it in theatres, wish I had. Watched it yesterday for the first time - starts a little slow, picks up quick after they leave the tower and doesn't stop. Even teared up a bit - I'm getting to be such a pushover in my old age.

LogicStep

I want to get them all just for the sake of having them and showing them to my kids in the future when I do have kids.

BTW how annoying is it that now they have 3d sets and non 3d sets, the 3d set being more expensive? I don't care to buy them since I don't have a 3d set but eventually I'm guessing 3d will be a normal thing to have so what then? I'm going to have to re-buy the damn movies for the 3d? =\

Magnus

zazrx said:
I want to get them all just for the sake of having them and showing them to my kids in the future when I do have kids.

Man....this sensation sweeps over me every time I buy one too, and I don't plan on having kids old enough to watch any of these for at least six or seven years, haha.

I feel like Bluray can be the best, most glorious archival edition of these classics that I can make sure my 'family' will have in the future. I have no idea where this notion is coming from. Obviously, the movies will be available via whatever version of Netflix is available then, ready to stream right into their 3D contact lenses fused to their eyeballs, circa 2020.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Magnus said:
Man....this sensation sweeps over me every time I buy one too, and I don't plan on having kids old enough to watch any of these for at least six or seven years, haha.

I feel like Bluray can be the best, most glorious archival edition of these classics that I can make sure my 'family' will have in the future. I have no idea where this notion is coming from. Obviously, the movies will be available via whatever version of Netflix is available then, ready to stream right into their 3D contact lenses fused to their eyeballs, circa 2020.
But Disney loves their vault.. can you imagine certain titles only being streamable at certain times?

Owning the blu-rays might be the only legit way to watch them when you want?

Mistle

I was hoping to pick up the Tangled Bluray, but then realised it has a mid-May release in Australia. Bummer... Is it because they have to translate it into many PAL languages?

Magnus

BocoDragon said:
But Disney loves their vault.. can you imagine certain titles only being streamable at certain times?

This is true!

Are any Disney animated features currently available via any streaming services?

BocoDragon said:

Seriously. I missed out on Lion King's DVD run, and until it comes out on Blu-Ray I have NO WAY of watching it without finding a VHS player. It's not on iTunes, not on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, not available for rent, not available to buy. The only way I could watch it right now would be to torrent it.

Edit: Mangus - no, they aren't. Only live-action stuff and Pixar movies.

DJ_Tet

Banned
ImperialConquest said:
My wife became a Disney Movie Club member a few months back.

Good shiz.

Love the 3D cards, got about 4 of them.

When you join DMC can you make your qualifying purchases from the whole movie catalog? Or are you limited to what's shown on the join sheet (where you pick your cheap/free movies?)

mrkgoo

Mistle said:
I was hoping to pick up the Tangled Bluray, but then realised it has a mid-May release in Australia. Bummer... Is it because they have to translate it into many PAL languages?

Not really - that's just the excuse. It's PAL. It comes later. There probably was never a chance the home version would come out in PAL regions 2 months after it came out in theatres.

Anyway, I just downloaded Tangled. Obviously not as good as Blu-Ray, but hopefully it'll be mostly fine enough for me. Will sit down tonight and watch it.

Dead

well not really...yet
its fucking stupid just how good this movie looks

nDqSV.jpg

Puts to shame every other CGI flick

Yeah, Tangled is stunning.

And one of the things I love about it most is that it almost doesn't feel like CGI. The artistic design and character movement just seems like a natural evolution from hand-drawn animation.

Morn

Banned
Song of the South Rejection 2011 from the annual Stockholder's Meeting (this year in Utah):

And - of course - it just wouldn't be a Disney shareholders meeting unless someone brought up "Song of the South." But Bob stuck to his guns when it came to this 1946 Walt Disney Productions. Insisting that - just as he did at last year's annual meeting - that after personally reviewing this motion picture, it would be harmful to the Company's overall reputation if this live-action / animated feature were to ever be released on Blu-ray or DVD.

"Sometimes you have to make financial sacrifices in order to do what's right," Iger said. "So remember 'Song of the South' for what is was and don't expect to see it again anytime."

DJ_Tet

Banned
For the DMC members I got an email today saying if you register Tron Legacy on launch day (4/5/11) you'll get double points.

SUPREME1

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
When you join DMC can you make your qualifying purchases from the whole movie catalog? Or are you limited to what's shown on the join sheet (where you pick your cheap/free movies?)

Don't know. The wife is the one that knows the details.

I just stand in the background and look at the pretty pictures in the catalogue and yell:

"Get Nightmare Before Chrsitmas!! Oh, Toy Story 3?!?! James and the GIANT PEACH!!!!!"

We get a package it seems, weekly now. She's really having fun getting the ones we didn't already have. We had a decent start, now we're gonna go as far as we can with this.

Lol.

Im still angry that "tangled" was supposed to be called Rapunzel and it was supposed to be 2D (originally). The CG art style and the trailers make this movie look so dumb like a dreamworks film or something but since everyone says its good and im a big disney fan ill get it tomorrow.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
Im still angry that "tangled" was supposed to be called Rapunzel and it was supposed to be 2D (originally). The CG art style and the trailers make this movie look so dumb like a dreamworks film or something but since everyone says its good and im a big disney fan ill get it tomorrow.

Yeah I don't care for the art-style either but I'm going to grab a copy tomorrow too. Glad that the coupon hasn't disappeared yet.

Is the cheapest/best deal still Target? (except for Amazon of course lol wish I had that one)

edit: Looks like the 3D set is still $20 with coupon at Target, sweet

Mistle

Anticitizen One said:
Trailers were horrible, doesn't do it justice at all. The choice to use that Boys Like Girls song was absurd, specially when the movie has a brilliant sound track. It's a shame, as I loved it and it's my favourite Disney movie since the classics. Definitely worth checking out.

It really does look stunning, best CGI I've seen in a film yet. The colours were so vibrant, and as stated, it really does seem like a progression from hand-drawn. The characters show heaps of emotion and the landscapes are breathtaking, there's nothing wrong with the art style imo. I've always preferred hand-drawn over CGI but Tangled changed my mind. I've got the official art book and it's great seeing all the design concepts. The original 2D painted look they first had did seem really cool, I have to admit.

isny

napkin dispenser
Morn said:
Song of the South Rejection 2011 from the annual Stockholder's Meeting (this year in Utah):

Man Iger kills me sometimes. I hope he gets replaced ASAP.

linkboy

isny said:
Man Iger kills me sometimes. I hope he gets replaced ASAP.

Iger isn't going to be replaced anytime soon. After the whole debacle with Eisner, Iger's done a fantastic job steering the company.

I'll be really surprised if Song of the South ever gets a release. There's just to much controversy with the movie (which I think is a load of horse crap, but hey) and Disney doesn't want to deal with it

iNvid02

my thoughts exactly, tangled surprised the shit outta me. looks incredible and i ended up loving the story.

isny

napkin dispenser
linkboy said:
Iger isn't going to be replaced anytime soon. After the whole debacle with Eisner, Iger's done a fantastic job steering the company.

I'll be really surprised if Song of the South ever gets a release. There's just to much controversy with the movie (which I think is a load of horse crap, but hey) and Disney doesn't want to deal with it

Lasseter would probably release it if given the chance. =(

DJ_Tet

Banned
Zippity doo dah zippity ayyy :(

edit: Used to sing that song with my mom every night before bed. She's passed away now and I'd really like to have that song on bluray.

see5harp

One thing that really sucks is that apparently my PS3 doesn't play nice with my barely 2 year old Denon receiver. Starting to think that buying these 3d glasses was a waste of money if I also need to spend another $500 on a new receiver. I hate technology sometimes.

Jintor

Oh damn, Tangled isn't out here until Mid-May? Lame. I'll just pick up whatever Disney Bluray/DVD packs I can find then

Duderz

Banned
BertramCooper, I'm picking up Tangled tomorrow because of your praise for the movie. It had better be good! *shakes fist*

Anticitizen One said:
I hate this train of thought that 2D is automatically better than 3D. Just finished Tangled and it's a solid movie. I wouldn't say on par with the Classics or the 90s Renaissance, I enjoyed it a lot. Better than Princess & the Frog, too.

Morn said:
Boo. Just release it online only, Disney. I want to see it.

Might have to get Tangled tomorrow. I can't believe these FOUR disk boxes. I think they are quite generous. But can't they fit the 3d on the 1st bluray? Can't they get those suckers up to 50Gb?

Guardian Bob said:
Might have to get Tangled tomorrow. I can't believe these FOUR disk boxes. I think they are quite generous. But can't they fit the 3d on the 1st bluray? Can't they get those suckers up to 50Gb?
They could, but there'd be a big skip when the laser switches layers, because idiot/cheapass players can't buffer away the skip.

Top Bottom