• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Poona

Mistle said:
I was hoping to pick up the Tangled Bluray, but then realised it has a mid-May release in Australia. Bummer... Is it because they have to translate it into many PAL languages?

Just order it from Amazon.com

It is region free, and it is cheaper than the RRP it will be in Australia too.

vazel

Banned
Matthew Gallant said:
They could, but there'd be a big skip when the laser switches layers, because idiot/cheapass players can't buffer away the skip.
Dual layer switch pauses aren't an issue with Blu-rays. According to blu-ray.com the Tangled discs are dual layer.

Mistle

Poona said:
Just order it from Amazon.com

It is region free, and it is cheaper than the RRP it will be in Australia too.
Good idea, I might just do that.

Sorry if this has been talked about in this thread already, but how decent are the Tangled special features? Mostly the "Making of.." aspect that I'm curious about. I love how extensive a lot of Pixar movies get, so I'm hoping this got a similar treatment.

EDIT: Just read that the "Making of.." is only 12 minutes long. Pretty disappointing imo :/ I'll still buy it for the movie though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mistle said:
Good idea, I might just do that.

Sorry if this has been talked about in this thread already, but how decent are the Tangled special features? Mostly the "Making of.." aspect that I'm curious about. I love how extensive a lot of Pixar movies get, so I'm hoping this got a similar treatment.
The special features on Tangled are terrible actually. Huge disappointment compared to Dreamworks Blu-Ray offerings

devildog820 said:
Hellish development? I love reading about that stuff. Can you point me towards any articles?

If you are talking about Rapunzel/Tangled that movie is basically the Duke Nukem Forever of Disney animated films. A quick google search will probably get you a ton.

So...

I wanted to complete the current Disney Blu-Ray collection for my mom. She's a huge, huge fan and it's one of the few things we can watch as a family.

So I purchased her Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, Ratatouille, Monster's Inc., The Incredibles, Ponyo, Nausicaa, Tangled, and Toy Story 3. We have practically everything else, except for Dumbo. I dunno if I should wait for a domestic release.

I am actually quite excited for Tangled now.

mrkgoo

Just watched my downloaded copy of Tangled. It's awesome. It really does capture the charm from the earlier Disney movies had. It has elements of Snow White, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and many others.

It's a Disney Princess movie through and through.

FlightOfHeaven said:
So...

I wanted to complete the current Disney Blu-Ray collection for my mom. She's a huge, huge fan and it's one of the few things we can watch as a family.

So I purchased her Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, Ratatouille, Monster's Inc., The Incredibles, Ponyo, Nausicaa, Tangled, and Toy Story 3. We have practically everything else, except for Dumbo. I dunno if I should wait for a domestic release.

I am actually quite excited for Tangled now.

Well if you want a complete collection you will have to wait since several of these films havent been released on bluray yet as far as I know:

http://www.disneyanimation.com/aboutus/history.html

Duderz

Banned
Duderz said:
BertramCooper, I'm picking up Tangled tomorrow because of your praise for the movie. It had better be good! *shakes fist*

...and it was! Holy crap, I would say the movie almost hangs with the likes of Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid, certainly the best Disney film since The Lion King. I thought it was moving along well up until after the pub scene when it just skyrocketed for me and I knew I was watching something really special. If I had a criticism against it, I thought some of the songs fell flat (Mother Knows Best, although
that ties back pretty well later in the film
) which continues to point out how pivotal Howard Ashman was for the 90s Disney films. The visuals were outstanding, probably even above Pixar quality, but maybe not quite up there with Rango, the characters were great, and the designs of the props and towns, locations....oh man, this really was Disney at their A game.

If Princess and the Frog was a step in the right direction for Disney (and it was, that was a good film, I'd put it with Mulan or Tarzan), then this just blows the doors open. Very highly recommended for fans that grew up on Disney movies.

Such a great movie. Loved it even more the second time (and seeing it in 2D also made me realize that the 3D was actually pretty good). Can't believe it didn't get nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars, but between this, HTTYD, Toy Story and Illusionist, I would have been happy with any of them winning. 2010 was a goddamn excellent year for feature animation.

My only problem with Tanged was also the only problem I had with HTTYD: unnecessary and kind of lame opening/closing narration.

Duderz

Banned
Yeah, after the lantern scene, I'm definitely kicking myself for not having gone see it in 3D. And the only movie in 3D that impressed me was, of course, Avatar.

omgkitty

So what version of Tron is everyone getting? I know if you use Targets deal and buy them separately, it comes out to around $40 with tax instead of the $50 for the whole set on Amazon. I think I kind of just want to get the full set, seeing as the artwork is better anyways.

Saw tangled last night and it was really good, the animation was well done especially on the hair. Same for the BG and the lighting in each scene. The songs are forgettable but overall i enjoyed it and glad i blind bought it.

MrEnglishPanda said:
So what version of Tron is everyone getting? I know if you use Targets deal and buy them separately, it comes out to around $40 with tax instead of the $50 for the whole set on Amazon. I think I kind of just want to get the full set, seeing as the artwork is better anyways.

Getting the 4 disc 3D Tron Legacy and the 2 disc Tron. It's the only way to get the full package since the bundle is missing a couple things.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that certain Disney movies were going to be re-released in 3D down the road. Is there a list of those movies? I'm thinking I should pick up Sleeping Beauty before it really gets hard to find but if a more feature version is coming out I may hold off.

isny

napkin dispenser
Marty Chinn said:
Getting the 4 disc 3D Tron Legacy and the 2 disc Tron. It's the only way to get the full package since the bundle is missing a couple things.

The Five Disc is only missing a DVD of Tron: The Original Classic.

VGChampion said:
I think I remember hearing somewhere that certain Disney movies were going to be re-released in 3D down the road. Is there a list of those movies? I'm thinking I should pick up Sleeping Beauty before it really gets hard to find but if a more feature version is coming out I may hold off.
I HOPE that means more recent movies and not older traditionally animated ones.

Although, there are some parts in Pinocchio that would look good in 3D.

VGChampion said:

Beauty and the Beast is going to be re-released in 3d the same day as Lionking 3-d. Same with Bolt , Chicken Little, G-FORCE, Meet the Robinsons and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Source: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5679

Macam

Banned
For what it's worth, Sleeping Beauty on Blu Ray has just skyrocketed in price online in the last few days, as it now retails for upwards of $50 at most shops. The Vault hath spoken.

Macam said:
For what it's worth, Sleeping Beauty on Blu Ray has just skyrocketed in price online in the last few days, as it now retails for upwards of $50 at most shops. The Vault hath spoken.

Wow i better get fantasia ASAP....

Morn said:
The Beauty and the Beast 3D conversion is apparently stunning based on people who saw it in theaters.

This shit pisses me off. I don't have a 3D TV yet but when I do I'll want the 3D versions and I just bought the freaking movie. Ugh, I guess I shouldn't be complaining as I've been around the industry long enough.

MMaRsu

So hey guys, I should pick up the Fantasia blu ray + dvd set?

Beauty and the beast too..?

I mean, I don't REALLY have the money for them, but if they are gonna go back into the vault sooner than later..

And if they could be worth some real cash, I might buy two Fantasia blu ray sets and sell one. Or is that just being an ass?

Sleeping Beauty - Special Edition 24,99 euro's at Free record shop ( dutch shop ), and they have a buy one get one free action going on as well.

I wish that Tron 1+2 set had the Tron 1 DVD. I'm planning on getting at least Legacy for my sister's birthday, but she still prefers to have DVDs since she doesn't have a BD player at her dorm yet. I guess getting the two sets separately isn't really any more expensive.

isny

napkin dispenser
MMaRsu said:
So hey guys, I should pick up the Fantasia blu ray + dvd set?

Beauty and the beast too..?

I mean, I don't REALLY have the money for them, but if they are gonna go back into the vault sooner than later..

And if they could be worth some real cash, I might buy two Fantasia blu ray sets and sell one. Or is that just being an ass?

Sleeping Beauty - Special Edition 24,99 euro's at Free record shop ( dutch shop ), and they have a buy one get one free action going on as well.

The Vault stuff works different in the UK/Europe. Not sure if any or which titles are/will be vaulted.

Having seen parts of the 3D version of Beauty and the Beast, I don't know if I'd call it stunning. It was a very, very odd visual effect... looked kind of like a pop-up book.

You have to remember, the characters are drawn in 2D. So they add depth to the scenery, and suddenly you have 2D characters moving in 3D space. They look like paper cut-outs. Obviously that looks strange, so they went another step further and added depth to the characters themselves, so that when say Belle puts her hand in front of her chest, you can tell there's actual 3D space between her hand and her chest. But it's still a flat 2D hand-drawn image, just now with depth added to it and around it. It looks like paper folding around on itself.

Maybe they've tweaked it or taken a different approach to it since I saw it, but... I wouldn't double-dip for it, and I wouldn't call it stunning.

isny

napkin dispenser
WordAssassin said:
Having seen parts of the 3D version of Beauty and the Beast, I don't know if I'd call it stunning. It was a very, very odd visual effect... looked kind of like a pop-up book.

You have to remember, the characters are drawn in 2D. So they add depth to the scenery, and suddenly you have 2D characters moving in 3D space. They look like paper cut-outs. Obviously that looks strange, so they went another step further and added depth to the characters themselves, so that when say Belle puts her hand in front of her chest, you can tell there's actual 3D space between her hand and her chest. But it's still a flat 2D hand-drawn image, just now with depth added to it and around it. It looks like paper folding around on itself.

Maybe they've tweaked it or taken a different approach to it since I saw it, but... I wouldn't double-dip for it, and I wouldn't call it stunning.

The Ballroom scene was done in 3D originally though, hence why it's an easy sell in 3D because they can say it was rendered originally that way.

isny said:
The Ballroom scene was done in 3D originally though, hence why it's an easy sell in 3D because they can say it was rendered originally that way.
I was thinking about that as I was writing my post, I don't remember if they showed the ballroom scene when I saw it, but they did show the entire opening song. And since only one part of the movie is done in the way the ballroom scene is, and the entire rest of the movie is done like the opening song, well...

Also, the ballroom scene looks fine as it is now because it's 2D characters in a 3D space, but we're seeing it in 2D. You add the extra depth to it and it's going to look just as I described it, originally rendered that way or not. 2D characters in a 3D space is going to look like Paper Mario no matter what.

But, again, it's been well over a year, possibly even two, since I saw the footage. (I think it's been two, it was supposed to hit theaters last fall) so they could have changed their technique to make it look more natural. I dunno, we'll have to wait and see!

B.K.

icarus-daedelus said:
Man, I wish Disney would hurry the hell up and release Dumbo on blu-ray in the US already. :-/ They keep teasing me by advertising it as coming in "2011" in the inserts that come with these movies.

Buy an imported Mexican copy?

isny

napkin dispenser
icarus-daedelus said:
Man, I wish Disney would hurry the hell up and release Dumbo on blu-ray in the US already. :-/ They keep teasing me by advertising it as coming in "2011" in the inserts that come with these movies. The Lion King at least has a season attached - fall - and they specify September for The Fox & the Hound. Jerks.

The Pink Elephants on Parade sequence is so good.

I'm beginning to think that if/when we do get it, it's not going to be a copy paste job from the Mexican/UK release. Guess we'll see though. I'm still holding out for getting it this year =D

AirBrian

icarus-daedelus said:
Man, I wish Disney would hurry the hell up and release Dumbo on blu-ray in the US already. :-/ They keep teasing me by advertising it as coming in "2011" in the inserts that come with these movies. The Lion King at least has a season attached - fall - and they specify September for The Fox & the Hound. Jerks.

Definitely this! Dumbo was always one of my favorites growing up. It can't get here fast enough, but I know it'll look good once it's released.

Anticitizen One said:
Well if you want a complete collection you will have to wait since several of these films havent been released on bluray yet as far as I know:
http://www.disneyanimation.com/aboutus/history.html

Are you sure?

f3xeyt.jpg

Because I got these in on Friday. I just returned home and watched Tangled.

I'm watching Sleeping Beauty (family requested it) right now. I am shocked, SHOCKED at the lack of Spanish subtitles. My mom doesn't speak English at all, but fortunately she doesn't mind at all.

Personally, I can't wait to revisit Monsters, Inc.

---

Also, Ponyo shipped without its sleeve. I am slightly bothered by this.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, Ive watched Tangled on blu-ray about twice now

Theres no words for how astoundingly beautiful it is. Its like it was made in another decade in comparison to something like How to Train your Dragon. Absolutely incredible work.

The movie itself is just soooo good as well. Probably the best pure Disney film of the past 15 years, it really brought back memories of the good old days. Amazing movie through and through.

So I take it the Tangled Blu-ray is totally worth it? The last Disney animated film I got was Tarzan back in '99 on VHS. I think it's time for me to come home.
KuGsj.gif

I have one other question. I might pick up Tron: Legacy too but I don't know which version to get since there's like four. I just want the movie and whatever behind the scenes/special features there are. Already have Tron on DVD.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Crewnh said:
So I take it the Tangled Blu-ray is totally worth it? The last Disney animated film I got was Tarzan back in '99 on VHS. I think it's time for me to come home.
KuGsj.gif

I have one other question. I might pick up Tron: Legacy too but I don't know which version to get since there's like four. I just want the movie and whatever behind the scenes/special features there are. Already have Tron on DVD.

Yeah, Tangled is def worth it. Although the SKU-situation is totally FUBAR:
- DVD: yeah, you don't want this. Tangled needs to be on BluRay.
- DVD/BluRay-combo: a good option, BluRay for the principal Home Entertainment Set, a DVD for the kids' room or in the car
- BluRay/BluRay 3D combo: also good, even if you're not down into 3D-land, Tangled IMHO works in 3D

Here's the kicker though: 3D isn't standardized yet. There are at least 3 standards out there (Panasonic, Samsung and Sony IIRC) for goggle3D and god knows what will happen to current 3D titles once glassless 3D rears it's head (and let's face it, we know that's coming).
I went for safe: the DVD/BluRay-combo was 20 euro, while the BluRay/3DBluRay-combo was 28 euro. I'm pretty sure that once goggle-less 3D is introduced, all Disney classics, or at least the CG-animated movies, will get a rerelease anyway.

Tangled is very much worth it.

I'm holding off on 3D until it's standardized. Even then I'm only getting it for films which will benefit the most from it. Why the hell would you want to watch Beauty and the Beast in 3D? It wasn't meant for that.

The standards thing shouldn't matter though. As long as its not red/blue version on the Bluray and its just the two camera angles for each frame of the film stuff, you should be fine no matter what type of tv you have. Even if TVs go glasses less.

icarus-daedelus said:

B.K. said:
Buy an imported Mexican copy?

Listen to Bk its was totally worth the $30(i think) i spent for a great movie and yes its in English but the back of the case is in spanish.

Dead

well not really...yet
You know, watching that Disney 50 Animated films countdown on the Tangled Blu-Ray, I almost wanted to gag when Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons popped up, :lol

Its like, they could have easily replaced those two films on the list with the Duck Tales movie and A Goofy Movie.

Also, it reminded me of the movie Brother Bear. Did anyone here ever see it?

neorej said:
Here's the kicker though: 3D isn't standardized yet. There are at least 3 standards out there (Panasonic, Samsung and Sony IIRC) for goggle3D and god knows what will happen to current 3D titles once glassless 3D rears it's head (and let's face it, we know that's coming).
I went for safe: the DVD/BluRay-combo was 20 euro, while the BluRay/3DBluRay-combo was 28 euro. I'm pretty sure that once goggle-less 3D is introduced, all Disney classics, or at least the CG-animated movies, will get a rerelease anyway.
FlightOfHeaven said:
Tangled is very much worth it.

I'm holding off on 3D until it's standardized. Even then I'm only getting it for films which will benefit the most from it. Why the hell would you want to watch Beauty and the Beast in 3D? It wasn't meant for that.

Yeah, I think I'll just go with the BluRay/DVD combo. It's only a couple of bucks more anyway. Plus I doubt I'll be getting a 3D TV anytime soon.

Dead said:
You know, watching that Disney 50 Animated films countdown on the Tangled Blu-Ray, I almost wanted to gag when Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons popped up, :lol

Its like, they could have easily replaced those two films on the list with the Duck Tales movie and A Goofy Movie.

I've seen Brother Bear. I thought it was pretty good though I hear the reception wasn't so warm.

Also thought Meet the Robinsons was alright, although the whole time travel story isn't very consistent.

Crewnh said:
Yeah, I think I'll just go with the BluRay/DVD combo. It's only a couple of bucks more anyway. Plus I doubt I'll be getting a 3D TV anytime soon.

Blu-Ray is an excellent standard, and I think it'll be around for a while. To get use out of anything larger than 1080p you need a ridiculously large living room OR it'll be used for glasses-less 3D.

And I'm still stunned by Tangled. I watched Sleeping Beauty and Monsters, Inc. right afterward and... well, Monsters, Inc. holds up really well, but damn if it didn't look dated in some ways when compared to Tangled.

Dead said:

Yeah. I kind of SMH'ed at some of the ones after The Lion King, too.

FlightOfHeaven said:
And I'm still stunned by Tangled. I watched Sleeping Beauty and Monsters, Inc. right afterward and... well, Monsters, Inc. holds up really well, but damn if it didn't look dated in some ways when compared to Tangled.

Just goes to show Pixar's level of quality. Inc is 10 years old which is crazy. Still blows me away that Toy Story is 16 years old.

Top Bottom