• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Kung Fu Jedi said:
The sword I mentioned is called Soul Stealer. Seems fitting. My enchanted bow, is the Bow of Lightning. I actually would like to change up my Bow, as I like to have a mix of damage types, so I will probably create a new one when I get the chance. Having electrical damage on both my Bow and Sword is bothersome. :lol But I enchanted the bow with one of the spheres from the Oblivion Gates, which gave it more power and charges for essentially no cost to me. Of course, I have plenty of good destruction spells to use as well, although Wizard's Fury is the one I use most often.

wizard's fury rocks :D

My current bow I call Blood Drinker due to its health draining. Before that I had a Fire + shock + soul trap one which I called Firebolt of souls :lol

I had some elven boots I enchanted with feather too and named them Elven Winged Heels!!

I love enchanting stuf, I've started collecting spare bows and swords rather than selling just in case I want to make new stuff.

Whats your equipment set jarosh? or did you already tell us?

GhaleonEB

Yaaaaaay I'm back in the Mage's Guild. I got kicked out after getting only one recomendation. Now to cure my vampirism and I can focus on the questline. I'm a battle mage but thanks to getting booted and then bitten I'm 70% battle 30% mage now. Time to re-balance.

Citizen K

Nerevar said:
do you have a fortify strength spell in your spellbook?

Nope, I assume if I did then that'd 'unlock' a fortify strength option at the enchanting altar?

Do you know where I can get/buy such a spell?

jarosh

kaizoku said:
wizard's fury rocks :D

My current bow I call Blood Drinker due to its health draining. Before that I had a Fire + shock + soul trap one which I called Firebolt of souls :lol

I had some elven boots I enchanted with feather too and named them Elven Winged Heels!!

I love enchanting stuf, I've started collecting spare bows and swords rather than selling just in case I want to make new stuff.

Whats your equipment set jarosh? or did you already tell us?
well, as mentioned above i primarily use the "rage of tartarus" bow. i also have some other bows i use for specific situations.

the spell i use the most is "fire glacier" which i also made myself. again it's a combination of fire, ice and shock.

i use rings and amulets to increase strength so i can carry more stuff. i wear enchanted gloves: "hands of darkness" - should be obvious what they do.

i focus on sneaking, all kinds of magic, marksmanship (i LOVE my bows) and alchemy. i'm not very good with swords and stuff like that but that's okay - i'm pretty quick and oftentimes invisible. i have one close range weapon. it's a small enchanted dagger and it's pretty effective as it drains a lot of hp. i carry lots of souls gems and potions.

i used to be a "proud magician" (lol) but now i like to stay in the shadows, sneaking around, mostly unseen.

i murder, but i don't steal. :)

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Citizen K said:
Nope, I assume if I did then that'd 'unlock' a fortify strength option at the enchanting altar?

Just looked at the "Balanced character creation guide" on gamefaqs, and it says Orag gra-Bargol: Chapel of Stendarr in Chorrol.

Richiban

Cripes, I'm never going to finish this game. I'm currently in the middle of the Mage's Guild quest, and I've decided to walk to each towns (I'd ride my horse, but two bears came racing out of the woods and killed it. Stupid fucking bears. I would attack them so they would leave my horse alone, but they just ended up chasing it down until it died. Only then they would pay any attention to me.)

Anyways, I'm finding that I'm really uneven at the moment. Dust Eater Goblins will completely rape my ass, but fighting spriggans and the like are no problems.

Has any definitive answer been given on obtaining the house in Skingrad? Does the Orc have a room in the castle or what?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Citizen K said:

just in case you missed it, it comes under fortify attribute, I didnt have to own any spell for it to appear, at least not that I was aware of, and certainly not fortify strength.

Citizen K

So can anyone answer my earlier question?

If my shield has a 20% spell reflection does this mean 20% of a spell cast at me will be reflected back at the attacker or does it mean there is a 20% chance that the spell will be reflected???

Citizen K said:
So can anyone answer my earlier question?

If my shield has a 20% spell reflection does this mean 20% of a spell cast at me will be reflected back at the attacker or does it mean there is a 20% chance that the spell will be reflected???

20% chance.

There's a cave north of
Leyawiin
called
Rock Milk Cavern
. What's so great about this place is that it's the site of a battle between two rival bandit clans. If you wait around long enough one side will kill off the others and then it's a simple matter to take care of the rest. Doing so provides you with a HUGE supply of valuable armor and weapons as well as quite a bit of gold. And they keep respawning!! I've cleaned the place out twice and gotten a ton of stuff.

Ecrofirt

Steve: might want to check the top of page 142 for a bug I found. Apparantly it's in the 360 version as well, but crashes the game.

belgurdo

Banned
Just another day around Cyrodiil, when OH MY GOD

An imperial watchman locked in mortal combat with a Spriggan...and he's bout to git bear-raped! Yikes!

(I was obviously too frightened to run to his aid, so I decided to cheer him on from the sidelines instead.)

Mr. Guard fights valiantly (he even fights off the threat of bear-rape so effectively that the bear is atomized before I could take a screenshot of his body!)

But his steely will is no match for the mossy, cold heart of leafy feminity.

The icy maiden saunters off laughing, not caring about the guard's identically dressed friends and family must feel concerning his loss...

...perfect qualities, I figure, for someone whose imminent future was to become a battery for my Umbra sword and magic staff.

Rest in peace, guard dude. T_T

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I just did a great quest that was a challenge for my level 33 vampire assassin,

I was out exploring and came across a small farm, the owners wife had been killed by goblins from a near by cave and he wanted vengeance (and a necklace).

While my character is evil murdering a cave full of goblins is fair game.

Well the cave was full of Goblin warlords and shamans, one battle had two warlords and two shamans and these guys are hard fucking core! One had a strength draining axe.

After working my way down three levels I finally found the necklace I needed and returned to the farmer to quench my thirst for blood and a reward.

But dam those warlords are probably the most powerful monsters in the game.

This was probably the most challenging quest I have done since I was level 20.

firex

I think goblins count as humanoids, so they scale up exactly to your level. Cause otherwise they would be completely gone by now for my guy at level 15.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
This is so fucking weird. My uncle was getting dirty disc errors when playing Oblivion. He tried clearing the cache more than once hoping that would fix the issue, it didn't. We swapped out the game, same deal. So he had his Xbox 360 replaced with a new one at Target. Now he's complaining to me that the load times are abominable and he's cleared the cache more than once to no avail. WTF?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Do The Mario said:
Wow I just did a great quest that was a challenge for my level 33 vampire assassin,

I was out exploring and came across a small farm, the owners wife had been killed by goblins from a near by cave and he wanted vengeance (and a necklace).

While my character is evil murdering a cave full of goblins is fair game.

Well the cave was full of Goblin warlords and shamans, one battle had two warlords and two shamans and these guys are hard fucking core! One had a strength draining axe.

After working my way down three levels I finally found the necklace I needed and returned to the farmer to quench my thirst for blood and a reward.

But dam those warlords are probably the most powerful monsters in the game.

This was probably the most challenging quest I have done since I was level 20.

Really? I did that quest and I whooped ass the whole way through. The game is getting pretty boring now that I can Chameleon myself 100%. The only enemy I have ran into that could see me when Chameleoned 100% I believe was some Necromancers so far. I think I might start the main quest since the game is getting insanely easy for me at this point.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Dr_Cogent said:
Really? I did that quest and I whooped ass the whole way through. The game is getting pretty boring now that I can Chameleon myself 100%. The only enemy I have ran into that could see me when Chameleoned 100% I believe was some Necromancers so far. I think I might start the main quest since the game is getting insanely easy for me at this point.

I don’t use chameleon because I don’t want to make the game too easy, I just wear the special imperial dragon armor or my black hand robes.

LakeEarth

I just finished the Thieves Guild last mission, that shit was fun as hell. A great sense of adventuring I hadn't felt in a while. Totally worth all the boring thieves missions to get to this one.

Vark

LakeEarth said:
I just finished the Thieves Guild last mission, that shit was fun as hell. A great sense of adventuring I hadn't felt in a while. Totally worth all the boring thieves missions to get to this one.

'w00t'

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
LakeEarth said:

Capital! It is a grand heist, definitely one of the games most memorable missions.

Nerevar

After putting a hell of a lot of time into Oblivion, I must say that this game has exceeded all my expectations for the next game in the TES series. Everything has been improved upon from past games, but there are a couple points that bug me about it.

1) Enemy scaling. I personally find it problematic that they scale directly to your level. On my first playthrough, I was a warrior / mage type character who just levelled naturally and didn't try to maximize my skill modifiers at level up. By level 8, I was getting the crap kicked out of me by regular enemies, and I had to turn down the difficulty. My second time I made sure to get at least 2 +5 modifiers every level (plus 1 point for luck), and the game difficulty is just right. I don't think you should be forced to plan out your skill modifiers to get a natural progression of difficulty. On top of that, I also wished there was some more division with high-level areas and low-level areas. I don't like how a stroll to Lleyawin is a life-or-death ordeal from the imperial city, with me fighting spriggans, will-o-wisps, and other nasties on the route (guards go down in like 2 seconds against these enemies, so they don't help). It just doesn't seem to make sense, roads should be challenging for low level characters but easy for higher level ones - scaling in the backwoods of the wilderness alone would make more sense. I just wish a little more thought had gone into this, because it definitely is a good idea that I hope they keep in future games, but it really does need a more balanced implementation.

2) Payoffs of being a thief. There isn't anything of value in people's houses, period. Sometimes you find a book worth a bunch of gold, but for the most part houses are filled with clothes worth 1 or 2 gp and worthless flatware and plates. The risk/reward just isn't there, plus the fact that you get no combat benefits aside from the initial sneak damage bonus makes being a thief damn near unplayable. I'm sorry, constantly running backwards while firing arrows at enemies as they charge you is not that fun. There should be tangible benefits to breaking into people's houses (stealing better weapons/armor than for your level) and the combat for a stealth type character should be more fleshed out (stagger options on sneak attacks and the like? I don't know, just trying to come up with ideas). Also, I hate how the "lock-on" mentality for enemies works - once they see you, you can't disappear into the shadows or something, they know you're there. You should be able to lose enemies. I know that would take a big leap in AI, but without it stealth combat is basically "get critical bonus damage then run to an unreachable place for the enemy and fire an endless volley of arrows until the enemy dies".

3) Magic is WAY too strong in this game. With comparable skill levels in destruction and blade and a decent enchanted sword with high base damage, I can take down just about anything with a few casts of touch damage spells, but I have to whack long and hard on the same creature to have the same effect. I think a few magic-immune type base enemies would have really made the game better, because as it stands now being a magic-user is far and away more beneficial than any other type.

These complaints are pretty small, but nonetheless I really do think addressing them would make this game better. Considering that this game has already leapfrogged to the top of my "favorite games of all time list", I am nitpicking, but hey, that's why we have message boards, right?

Good post Nerevar. The one thing I disagree with you on, is the idea of changing the items in an average person's house in the game. Most of the people in the game are mere peasants, and shouldn't have anything of major value. As a good thief, you should be looking at the castles and manor houses for good loot. They should be tougher to break into, which they are, and they should offer better loot, which they do. As a "Master Thief" your challenge should be for the big payoff in these places, not looting some random peasants place for his trousers and shirt. When I've hit up these richer homes, I've often found very good stuff to loot.

As for a Thief's combat abilities, well it's always been a trade off in an RPG. They gain stealth abilities at the expense of straight up combat, so I don't think they should have the ability to stand toe to toe in the same way as a fighter type character. However, on top of stealth attacks, a backstab option might be nice for even more damage. Or the ability to hide in shadows more allowing for more stealth attack. Right now, once you get that one stealth shot in with an arrow, most of the time the enemy finds you right away. Not always, but often. Higher stealth skills should make it less likely that they do so.

Really? I thought all of the dungeon crawling before it really killed the mission. But the actual stealing part was really fun. I don't know why, but the
idea of blind monks detecting me freaks me out
. They never saw me, but I was walking about as slowly as the game will allow.

It took me so long that I actually *gasp* didn't feel like playing the game yesterday.

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Good post Nerevar. The one thing I disagree with you on, is the idea of changing the items in an average person's house in the game. Most of the people in the game are mere peasants, and shouldn't have anything of major value. As a good thief, you should be looking at the castles and manor houses for good loot. They should be tougher to break into, which they are, and they should offer better loot, which they do. As a "Master Thief" your challenge should be for the big payoff in these places, not looting some random peasants place for his trousers and shirt. When I've hit up these richer homes, I've often found very good stuff to loot.

I agree, but there's not really much to do until you become that master thief. At the very least stealing someone's shit should net you more than a few GP and a bunch of worthless flatware and potion ingredients. You make more money joining a guild and taking everything there and selling it back to them. It should balance out a bit more. Plus, even when you do rob castles and manors, the rewards are mediocre at best. I remember lockpicking and sneaking my way past a bunch of guards in one of the castles (Cheydinhal, I think?) to the owner's bedroom, finding a chest with a very hard lock and successfully picking it ... only to be rewarded with 100 gold. That's just dumb. I hate to compare, but when you busted into the high level character's places in Morrowind you got good loot (like high level weapons and armor), you should expect the same in Oblivion.

As for a Thief's combat abilities, well it's always been a trade off in an RPG. They gain stealth abilities at the expense of straight up combat, so I don't think they should have the ability to stand toe to toe in the same way as a fighter type character. However, on top of stealth attacks, a backstab option might be nice for even more damage. Or the ability to hide in shadows more allowing for more stealth attack. Right now, once you get that one stealth shot in with an arrow, most of the time the enemy finds you right away. Not always, but often. Higher stealth skills should make it less likely that they do so.

Yeah, I'm not asking for Splinter Cell in dungeons, but stealth combat is still kind of stale. I mean, they added all this cool shit for fighters to do (power attacks, disarm attacks, knockdowns), but beyond the stealth sneak bonus there isn't really much for thief type characters. I would like dungeon crawls as thiefs to really feel like sulking through the shadows and silently eliminating the enemies in there, and you really don't get anywhere near that right now.
Edit: In Morrowind, being a good thief meant you had really good gear, because the only way to find it was to buy it or steal it. Since enemies scale in Oblivion, pretty much every character type will have the same gear, which makes being a thief kind of worthless. I don't think they balanced out stealth combat to really balance it out. That's all I'm saying.

Nerevar: Yeah, I agree with you for the most part. I'm also a HUGE fan of the Thief games. The first one is amongst my top two or three favorite games of all time, and I would have liked the stealth characters to behave more like that game. The one shot kills were awesome in Thief too, but that would be a bit unbalancing. Maybe next time, we can have damage mapped to a certain part of the body, so a headshot will take out a humanoid creature of certain levels.

Stealth abilities did come along way this time, as I like the eye icon to indicate when you are or aren't hidden, sort of Thief-ish. But they can improve a lot more in the next version for sure.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Screw the next version I want expansion packs full of high level character challengers! Hopefully they will take in some of the surrounding countries.

ElyrionX

Is the difficulty really that bad if I don't watch my levelling? I had read about maximising the amount of stats increase per level but it all sounds like a huge hassle and plenty of grinding which I don't really want to go through in my first playthrough.

LakeEarth

Nerevar said:
Also, I hate how the "lock-on" mentality for enemies works - once they see you, you can't disappear into the shadows or something, they know you're there. You should be able to lose enemies.
The most annoying is when you're in a dark corner, not moving at all in sneak mode and 100% camoflaged, just to see a soldier run up from the other side of the town, run up to you and start hitting you with arrows with pinpoint accuracy. Come on!

Nerevar

one last tiny gripe - training limits per level. I know why they put it in (it was easy to max a character fast in Morrowind using cheap tactics for gold + exploits), but I don't think it was necessary. By making it so expensive, and having all the extra gold sinks in Oblivion (houses, selling items at a low cost due to mercantile skill differences, caps on vendor gold, etc), plus taking out all the methods for "cheap" gold (lack of easily obtainable loot like ordinator armor, no more alchemy exploits), made training cost-prohibitive enough. At higher levels training is great for catching up on your weaker skills and i feel like only being able to train 5 times a level really hampers that. Thankfully, I can mod it out on the PC, and I don't feel it's made anything unbalanced. You simply don't have the money to exploit it early on, and later on in the game there are tons of other things you can do to "break" the game (like 100% chameleon gear) that training a lot isn't really a big eal.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nerevar said:
one last tiny gripe - training limits per level. I know why they put it in (it was easy to max a character fast in Morrowind using cheap tactics for gold + exploits), but I don't think it was necessary. By making it so expensive, and having all the extra gold sinks in Oblivion (houses, selling items at a low cost due to mercantile skill differences, caps on vendor gold, etc), plus taking out all the methods for "cheap" gold (lack of easily obtainable loot like ordinator armor, no more alchemy exploits), made training cost-prohibitive enough. At higher levels training is great for catching up on your weaker skills and i feel like only being able to train 5 times a level really hampers that. Thankfully, I can mod it out on the PC, and I don't feel it's made anything unbalanced. You simply don't have the money to exploit it early on, and later on in the game there are tons of other things you can do to "break" the game (like 100% chameleon gear) that training a lot isn't really a big eal.

Can't agree at all. I am richer beyond belief and could max all my skills out easily right this very moment if there was no cap.

belgurdo

Banned
I agree wtih Nerevar that magic is way too strong in this game. I own a staff I bought from Rindir that does like 100 damage spread across the three elements, and using it I cleared the arena in two hours. Then if you bother to do the mage's guild, your reward for getting into the university is the chance to make a custom staff that shoots 80 damage bolts. On the flipside, it takes me like 5-10 full-power swings to kill things like goblins and clannfears using Umbra, and my Blade stat is about 65 or so. Ridiculous. And let's not forget about 100% chameleon enchanted equipment turning you into a Master Ninja. :lol

I noticed on the beta patch that pretty much mostly what they did was just fix a handful of bugged quests and got rid of money cheat glitches. But they really should have focused on scaling and damage instead...

Dr_Cogent said:
Can't agree at all. I am richer beyond belief and could max all my skills out easily right this very moment if there was no cap.

Same here. I'm swimming in gold. And really don't have anything else to do with it at the moment. I only just started training on certain skills that are hard to level on their own though.

belgurdo said:
I noticed on the beta patch that pretty much mostly what they did was just fix a handful of bugged quests and got rid of money cheat glitches. But they really should have focused on scaling and damage instead...

I don't agree with this. The first patch, imo, should be about squashing bugs and fixing exploits. If they plan to do any balancing, it should come later in other patches. That's far less important than making the game run correctly.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Dr_Cogent said:

Ditto I think I have 160k+

I use to rob mages guilds at a low level to fund my training (those were the days).

Training is done very well imo

Nerevar

Dr_Cogent said:

what level are you at though? My point is that you can't abuse training in the early levels (due to the high cost), and at the later levels (when you have the gold) is the time you want to use it to catch up in your weaker skills. I'm at level 15 in my PC game and still don't have all the money in the world, even with alchemy at 100 and a steady stream of cash from potions.

Edit: Wait, didn't you admit earlier in the thread to having a full set of 100% chameleon armor?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nerevar said:
what level are you at though? My point is that you can't abuse training in the early levels (due to the high cost), and at the later levels (when you have the gold) is the time you want to use it to catch up in your weaker skills. I'm at level 15 in my PC game and still don't have all the money in the world, even with alchemy at 100 and a steady stream of cash from potions.

Can't remember what level exactly. In the 30s. I was rich in the 20s though, and it's easy to get rich real quick with Alchemy maxed out. And had I known what I know now, I probably could have been pretty rich in the teens like 17, 18 or 19 or so. Then I could have had all my stats maxed out without a cap and the game would have been unbalanced.

Nerevar

Dr_Cogent said:
Can't remember what level exactly. In the 30s. I was rich in the 20s though, and it's easy to get rich real quick with Alchemy maxed out. And had I known what I know now, I probably could have been pretty rich in the teens like 17, 18 or 19 or so. Then I could have had all my stats maxed out without a cap and the game would have been unbalanced.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. As I said, I'm playing on PC with uncapped training per level, I've maxed my alchemy, and I'm at level 15, and the game certainly isn't unbalanced. As I said earlier, I could just go make a full chameleon armor set and totally break the game if I wanted to, breaking it via training every skill would be ten times more difficult and time consuming. The training problem was more a result of the fact that tons of gold was readily available early on in Morrowind, something they fixed in Oblivion. IMO, you wouldn't be able to abuse training in Oblivion until the game was already pretty unbalanced in your favor anyway.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Nerevar said:
I guess we'll just have to disagree. As I said, I'm playing on PC with uncapped training per level, I've maxed my alchemy, and I'm at level 15, and the game certainly isn't unbalanced. As I said earlier, I could just go make a full chameleon armor set and totally break the game if I wanted to, breaking it via training every skill would be ten times more difficult and time consuming. The training problem was more a result of the fact that tons of gold was readily available early on in Morrowind, something they fixed in Oblivion. IMO, you wouldn't be able to abuse training in Oblivion until the game was already pretty unbalanced in your favor anyway.

Once you get to level 30+ it starts to become much harder to level up due to your primary skills already being maxed or high. If you took away the training cap I could go max out every single skill right now.

At the start of the game you don’t have the gold to fully exploit training

At the end of the game you can’t level up often enough to exploit training.

Its very well done IMO.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Panajev2001a said:
Steve, do you know when the DLC content (Horse Armor, Orrery, Wizard's Tower) will be available for Xbox 360 in non english speaking countries (Italy, France, Spain, etc...) ?

Vark, if you can please do answer... anyone :(.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nerevar said:
Edit: Wait, didn't you admit earlier in the thread to having a full set of 100% chameleon armor?

I have 60%, and a spell that when used in conjunction with that - 100%.

I'm not always using the spell though or the rings and amulet that get me to 60%.

That being said, like I said before, chameleon isn't a sure fire way to avoid combat. There are enemies that can see you even with it on (probably using detect life spells or detect life equipment).

Dr_Cogent said:

Thanks to your advice, I am finding it easy to make about 1000 gold now and I am only Level 10.

I also raided the guilded carafe. I cleaned her out of everything. Then I made tons of potions to sell her! I love that.

Top Bottom