• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

PhatSaqs

Banned
Do you guys always get "caught" for a crime when you talk to a guard while having something stolen in your inventory?

Seems I do :lol

PhatSaqs said:
Do you guys always get "caught" for a crime when you talk to a guard while having something stolen in your inventory?

Seems I do :lol

Yeah, and it's happened to me a few times when I haven't even realized I have something stolen. I would like to see a better, more realistic "justice" system in ES: V.

Something that lets you get away with crime not so much easier, but more realistically. Why would every guard every where know about the crime so quickly? They also shouldn't pursue you forever either. I've had them come find me in a dungeon. They should have a radius around their city that they will pursue you in and not any further. You should have the ability to sneak back in if you are skillful enough. They could also have NPC Bounty Hunters who come searching for you in other regions. As it stands right now, it just seems so restrictive.

LakeEarth

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Lake: What's your sneak skill level?
Its only 46, so I understand it not working out. But I can't get away with it even when they're sleeping, I'm 100% invisible and not wearing anything. Oh well.

firex

oh, I misunderstood and thought you said 100 sneak. despite it not saying so, I think sneak skill influences your success at pickpocketing. and also for some reason you can be "spotted" while invisible, as I've had that happen to me a couple times (I think one was scripted but I'm not sure).

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Well, I'm officially obsessed with this game. It has almost everything I wished Daggerfall had (never played Morrowind). I wish that putting on dark clothing helped you sneak around in the shadows though. It always pissed me off that there was such an abundence of useless clothing in Daggerfall. Well, they're good for RP purposes I guess...

I have a 1.8 ghz processor and a radeon 9600 card so I'm surprised my computer can play it so well. I did have to install another 512 stick of RAM (needed to do that anyway though), and the framerate is less than desireable, but it doesn't really hinder my ability to play.

As far as sneak fortifying gear goes...

I plundered this house in Burma the other night, where I found a hood that fortified nearly all of your standard sneaky bastard skills by 11, and a hood that enhanced them by 6.

Has anyone else done the Sheogorath Shrine quest yet? I just got through it a few minutes ago and it's easily the craziest thing I've ever seen in this game.
There's a town called Border Watch that's full of Khajiit and Sheogorath wants you to stage the fulfillment of some of their ancient prophecies. These include a plague of rats, their sheep dying and something called "The Time of Madness". Okay, so I got some pugnent cheese and threw it in a cooking pot which caused about a dozen rats to show up in town. I stole the town elders rat poison and put it in the sheep's trough, which killed them in a mysterious manner. Having done this, then came the Time of Madness. Okay here's what happened: dozens of flaming wolves fell out of the sky onto the town. Flaming wolves. Hitting the ground. Dead. Funny stuff really.

No, I constantly carry around stolen goods. They'll only "catch" you if someone saw you doing something illegal.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Forgive me if this has already been asked; it's a long thread. Does anyone have some basic advice on specific items and potions to use in order to efficiently boost your magicka pool if your character is a bit weak in the magic department? Also, around what class level should equipment that's especially useful for that become available?

I'm level 18 and don't want to fruitlessly wander around searching for gear that ain't gonna pop until I'm 30.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm level 22 now and its funny when you attack a huge enemy through a door like a Lord Minotaur and he tries to come for you but he struggles to get through the door :lol

Come to think of it whats the biggest enemy in the game? and whats the hardest/scariest you have faced so far?

I kill will o wisps with ease now, like 2 or 3 shots. dread zombies are irritating.

not done any of the main quest so oblivion gates are still unknown. I guess its this Umbra everyone talks about - where is this person???

GhaleonEB

Kaijima said:
Forgive me if this has already been asked; it's a long thread. Does anyone have some basic advice on specific items and potions to use in order to efficiently boost your magicka pool if your character is a bit weak in the magic department? Also, around what class level should equipment that's especially useful for that become available?

I'm level 18 and don't want to fruitlessly wander around searching for gear that ain't gonna pop until I'm 30.
I strongly recommend mixing potions that damage health or burdon. I just got into mixing potions (I have something like 400 ingredient items :lol ) and it makes a HUGE difference in combat. To improve the overall pool, mix potions that boost Magika (not restore - that just heals it up. I can't think of the word offhand but it makes your Magika restore faster for a period. Very handy.)

Even just a few tweaks at leveling can help. Boost your Intelligence at leveling to increase your total Magika, and your Wisdom to increase how fast it regenerates. A couple of notches will make a big difference.

firex

kaizoku said:
I guess its this Umbra everyone talks about - where is this person???
Umbra:
There's some ayleid ruins just off the road running southwest of the Imperial city, but she's unkillable until you get the quest from a Daedric Shrine (at least I think so). She's not big, but she's definitely the toughest fight I've had in the game... and then I found some super cheesy way to beat her that was just sad.

btw, when I say the road going southwest, I mean the main road on the world map.

Rhindle

LakeEarth said:
Its only 46, so I understand it not working out. But I can't get away with it even when they're sleeping, I'm 100% invisible and not wearing anything. Oh well.
You need to get your sneak skill up pretty high before you can start pick pocketing. It's one of the easiest skills to train though - just walk around in sneak moe a lot.

You get a mega-sneak enhancer at the end of the Thieves Guild quest (best item in the game IMO). I also have sneak-enhancing rings and amulets, but I don't recall where I got them.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Great Rumbler said:
No, I constantly carry around stolen goods. They'll only "catch" you if someone saw you doing something illegal.
I really dont think this is true but i'll take you're word for it for now.

raYne

PhatSaqs said:
He's right, I have quite a few stolen goods in my inventory as well as some of the clothes I'm currently wearing and I never get stopped... even while talking to guards.

On the off chance that you get caught stealing something, they only confiscate the item(s) you were seen taking (maybe more if you took a few things at once) and you keep the rest of the stolen goods in your possession.

firex

PhatSaqs said:
He's right for sure... I've personally spoken to guards with stolen items in my inventory and not been caught. How the guards react to you is determined by whether you have a bounty or not.

GhaleonEB

firex said:
Umbra:
There's some ayleid ruins just off the road running southwest of the Imperial city, but she's unkillable until you get the quest from a Daedric Shrine (at least I think so). She's not big, but she's definitely the toughest fight I've had in the game... and then I found some super cheesy way to beat her that was just sad.

btw, when I say the road going southwest, I mean the main road on the world map.
Is the the super-fast phycho-bitch waiting at the end of a ruin, in a room? I nailed her with an arrow, pulled out my sword and put up my shield, waiting for her to bounce off it. First hit: I'm knocked back 20 feet, staggered and take 80% damage. Second hit came about one second later. I spent an hour trying to wear her down - got her half way once.

:(

The stats for my character are just plain ridiculous. I've got an Agility of 111, a Speed of 129, my Sneak is 116, and I have a constant Chameleon of 60% [80% if I move some things around. I can pretty much steal anything I want to.

Is there any way to make your horse stay in town when you fast travel? It's really inconvenient when you travel to some bandit camp and your horse ends up getting killed.

PhatSaqs

Banned
raYne said:
He's right, I have quite a few stolen goods in my inventory as well as some of the clothes I'm currently wearing and I never get stopped... even while talking to guards.
Oh ok. Kinda weird since I usually go into sneak mode to make sure i'm unseen before pilfering anything, entering houses, etc.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
PhatSaqs said:
Oh ok. Kinda weird since I usually go into sneak mode to make sure i'm unseen before pilfering anything, entering houses, etc.

You'll want to go into sneak mode before doing any pickpocketing or lockpicking, certainly. But if you haven't been spotted doing the deed, then once it's done, you're scott-free.

However, if you get caught in the act for any crime, then an automatic search will turn up any stolen loot, of course.

raYne

Great Rumbler said:
The stats for my character are just plain ridiculous.
Same here.

Even though I put in a crap load of time into the game I feel like I'm missing out 'cause everything dies really quick when I fight them. Hell, I killed Umbra in maybe 5 attacks... :/

PhatSaqs

Banned
Mejilan said:
You'll want to go into sneak mode before doing any pickpocketing or lockpicking, certainly. But if you haven't been spotted doing the deed, then once it's done, you're scott-free.

However, if you get caught in the act for any crime, then an automatic search will turn up any stolen loot, of course.
Yeah this is the thing i'm confused about. I'll handle my business thinking i'm unseen, no guards chase me, etc. But then I can talk to a guard, even in a different town and get "Stop right there you varment!!!!" and get arrested.

Guess I just need to start paying more attention when stealing shit :lol

Great Rumbler said:
Is there any way to make your house stay in town when you fast travel? It's really inconvenient when you travel to some bandit camp and your horse ends up getting killed.

That would be a pretty cool mod, actually. Just have the Dr. Who police box travel with you...oh wait, you meant horse? :lol

firex

GhaleonEB said:
Is the the super-fast phycho-bitch waiting at the end of a ruin, in a room? I nailed her with an arrow, pulled out my sword and put up my shield, waiting for her to bounce off it. First hit: I'm knocked back 20 feet, staggered and take 80% damage. Second hit came about one second later. I spent an hour trying to wear her down - got her half way once.

:(
It sounds like her. She's also got a unique dark glowing sword and armor (it really is unique armor too, despite being Ebony).

firex

oh, btw, for anyone who hasn't noticed this detail yet: Killable NPCs have a face icon when you get close enough to talk to them (it's basically the same icon they use for your gold on the inventory screen, I believe), unkillable NPCs have a crown icon. Anyone with a crown will be "unconcious" if they hit 0 health.

and I just got a nice unique dagger from a DB quest. it's not daedric artifact quality, but it does have some useful effects on it, and it deals a good load of damage at level 15.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there anyway for me to be able to carry more stuff besides leveling up my strength?
2. Where is
that Dark Brotherhood guy that initially recruited you fort at? He gave me Shadowmere but I already had a horse so I didn't bother to use him. But now that my horse was killed I want Shadowmere!

GhaleonEB

Synbios459 said:
I have 2 questions:

1. Is there anyway for me to be able to carry more stuff besides leveling up my strength?
I just found some gauntlets that boosted my strength by 8 (I'm level 17), which was very nice for the massive cave I just cleared out. Hopefully there are other items with similar effects.

firex

At various perk levels of Alteration, you can get Feather spells too. I think the best one I've bought adds like 240 weight for 3 minutes or something.

kaizoku

I started off trying to use feather enchanted items and so on, but then I realised that using strength enchanted items are just as effective plus improve your attacking etc so I have like 3 or 4 items enchanted with strength :D

Also carry around rings and necklaces of strength boost in case I find myself encumbered in a dungeon. No matter how high I raise it I always seem to fill it with ease, gets abit annoying trying to juggle the items I want to take back and which to sacrifice :(

My encumberance max is currently 600+ and my 'normal' gear weighs in at about 430. I guess I have tonnes of potions and ingredients weighing me down or something.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
What exactly does feather do anyway?

I think it both makes what you are carrying lighter and allows you to carry more weight as well. I thought it was just that it allowed you to carry more weight, but I checked and I am pretty sure what you are carrying ends up weighing less too.

Oh, and btw - I think it's always best to enchant stuff with strength instead of feather since strength lets you carry more stuff and do more melee damage while feather only helps in how much you can carry. Seems like there is more of a benefit with a buff to strength.

For those dealing with Umbra, she can definitly be killed without having the quest, as I have done so. I've been carrying her sword around for some time now. She is tough as hell though, and at earlier levels, you'll need to break out every trick in the book to beat her.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
For those dealing with Umbra, she can definitly be killed without having the quest, as I have done so. I've been carrying her sword around for some time now. She is tough as hell though, and at earlier levels, you'll need to break out every trick in the book to beat her.

Or just run away like I did :D

Although where I am at now I bet I could beat the living shit out of her easy.

ElyrionX

So I just started the game and I'm pretty lost. I only just delivered the Amulet of Kings to Jauffre at the Weynon Priory and just got my first horse.

I created a High Elf character born under Thief (for the luck) with the following major skills:

Alchemy
Alteration
Destruction
Illusion
Restoration
Light Armour
Blade

I've got a couple of questions:

1) How do I learn new spells? I got a couple of scrolls that I can apparently equip but is it possible to learn spells off scrolls?

2) Do gems serve any purpose at all? Or should I just sell them off for gold?

3) What do you think of my character? Since my character is kind of centred around magic, did I make a mistake by taking Light Armour and Blade? I kind of wanted a character that can use the blade fairly well when the need arises but is mainly centred around Destruction magic.

4) How does alchemy work? How do I go about creating potions and such? Also, are potions any good? They're worth quite a bit so I was thinking of selling them all off.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ElyrionX said:
So I just started the game and I'm pretty lost. I only just delivered the Amulet of Kings to Jauffre at the Weynon Priory and just got my first horse.

I created a High Elf character born under Thief (for the luck) with the following major skills:

Alchemy
Alteration
Destruction
Illusion
Restoration
Light Armour
Blade

I've got a couple of questions:

1) How do I learn new spells? I got a couple of scrolls that I can apparently equip but is it possible to learn spells off scrolls?

2) Do gems serve any purpose at all? Or should I just sell them off for gold?

3) What do you think of my character? Since my character is kind of centred around magic, did I make a mistake by taking Light Armour and Blade? I kind of wanted a character that can use the blade fairly well when the need arises but is mainly centred around Destruction magic.

4) How does alchemy work? How do I go about creating potions and such? Also, are potions any good? They're worth quite a bit so I was thinking of selling them all off.

1) You have to buy new spells. Get the easy ones and start using them to boost your level in the particular magic type. You can buy them from mages guild people and from some people in the churches I believe.

2) Gems with souls are used to recharge weapons and enchant items. You need to get into the arcane uni if you want to enchant weapons (you can't repair them yourself unless you are a certain level in armorer)

3) There are no mistakes, have fun with it

4) Alchemy requires at the very least a mortar and pestle and ingredients. You select the mortar and pestle in your inventory by hitting A (assuming you have the 360 version) and then start making potions.

If this isn't descriptive enough - read the manual :D

Cogent answered most of your questions, but I'll add that if you join the Mage's Guild you will learn some spells as you go along for free. They'll add some basic spells to your book to help you in some of the quests. I'd recommend joining the guild not only for those, but you'll gain some other benefits as well, and have access to the alters of enchanting and spellmaking. (In case you want to make your own spells)

I am playing a similar character that uses destruction magic and blade skills and it's a good combo. Sometimes I just use my blade to block while I hit a foe with magic, and other times I use it to deal out damage. Blade and magic working together can be fairly potent.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Dr_Cogent said:
I think it both makes what you are carrying lighter and allows you to carry more weight as well. I thought it was just that it allowed you to carry more weight, but I checked and I am pretty sure what you are carrying ends up weighing less too.

feather definitely does not make what you're carrying lighter, it only increases your max encumberance. I've also noticed that if you have a high-level feather enchantment you move really fast, although I'm not certain if that's just a side effect of having a big disparity between your current encumberance and max encumberance or whether the feather spell actually makes you faster. It's something I've been meaning to try.

kaizoku

So what enchanted items are currently topping the bill for you guys?

Sword currently not enchanted as I'm not a journeyman armourer yet. Currently using Chorral honourblade still.

Bow - soul trap 1 second, shock damage 10, drain health 26 for 1 sec. (experimental set up, seems ok, still playing around with how I can use drain health to my advantage as it keeps your charge value quite high)

glass shield, boots and greaves all enchanted with strength giving me an extra 30 strength points and boosting my encumberance level by 150.

Jewellry I rotate depending on need. I have stuff for night eye, resist disease and magic and 2 feather items should I find treasure I simply cant do without. Next time I will probably make more stregnth items instead of feather. (is there a cap on how high your attributes can go?)

Hmm...lets see. What items am I using.

Sword: +35 electrical damage, Soul Trap 5 seconds. (Daedric Longsword)
Bow: +30 electrical damage

Helmet: 50% Magic Resistance, 35% spell reflection
Gloves: +8 on casting Illusion/Mysticism/Alteration
Boots: Nighteyes
Robes: +5 on casting Destruction/Conjuration/?? (something else too)

Jewlery: Mundane Ring, and Ring of Protection (100% protectino from disease/poison/paralization)

I'm fairly well protected from spells and effects for the most part. :)

jarosh

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Sword: +35 electrical damage, Soul Trap 5 seconds. (Daedric Longsword)
isn't 5 seconds unnecessarily long? i use 1 second soul trap on my bow. why should it be any longer? the enemy dies from the weapon you use and its soul is instantly trapped. so it could theoretically be like 0.001 seconds.

jarosh said:
isn't 5 seconds unnecessarily long? i use 1 second soul trap on my bow. why should it be any longer? the enemy dies from the weapon you use and its soul is instantly trapped. so it could theoretically be like 0.001 seconds.

I still trap the soul, even if the sword doesn't deliver the fatal blow. I hit him with the sword, then throw a fireball to finish him off, and still get the soul.

For reference:
Umbra's sword is Soul Trap 120 seconds.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
.....Or you could do what I did and be REALLY weaksauce by moving the difficulty slider to the easiest setting.

Another fun thing to do is to lead her to the IC, where the guards will see her as a threat and kill her for you.

Synbios459 said:
.....Or you could do I what I did and be REALLY weaksauce by moving the difficulty slider to the easiest setting.

Another fun to do is to lead her to the IC, where the guards will see her as a threat and kill her for you.

Those are weaksauce! :lol

jarosh

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I still trap the soul, even if the sword doesn't deliver the fatal blow. I hit him with the sword, then throw a fireball to finish him off, and still get the soul.

For reference:
Umbra's sword is Soul Trap 120 seconds.
well, in my book it's still a little unneccessary. it's a waste of precious soul gems. soul trap eats a lot of energy/magic. instead of those 4 seconds you could have enchanted your weapon with quite a bit of additional fire or ice damage and just settle with your sword for the final blow.

Citizen K

A couple of things...

1. If I have a shield that reflects spells 20% does this mean that the spell cast at me is reflected back at the attacker by 20% (eg I'm hit with a fire attack, it normally does 20 fire damage but 20% is now reflected back at the attacker or is the damage is 20% less to me) or does it mean that there is a 20% chance that the spell will be reflected? ie 1 in 5 chance of it reflecting back (which sounds pretty lame)?

2. How do i enchant my gear with +strength. I know the place to go in the university but I don't see a fortify strength option when I use the enchanting altar thing.

Thanks!

jarosh said:
well, in my book it's still a little unneccessary. it's a waste of precious soul gems. soul trap eats a lot of energy/magic. instead of those 4 seconds you could have enchanted your weapon with quite a bit of additional fire or ice damage and just settle with your sword for the final blow.

Perhaps, but this gives me lots of leeway. Not sure how it's a waste of soul gems exactly. I have tons of gems in my inventory at all times, and it's way easy to fill them up, so not an issue for me. And at the level I'm at, with 100+ Destruction Magic, Blade Skill at 95 or so, I have no problems dishing out magic. Besides, the sword does +35 Electrical as it is. That's a healthy dose of bonus damage, and more than most things I've seen in the game so far. Combine that with a stealth attack, and I'm doing plenty of damage.

Just different approaches I suppose.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Citizen K said:
2. How do i enchant my gear with +strength. I know the place to go in the university but I don't see a fortify strength option when I use the enchanting altar thing.

do you have a fortify strength spell in your spellbook?

kaizoku

kung fu jedi that sword is kinda insane - how many uses do you get out of it before it needs charging?? I like keeping my bow above 72 charges so my enchantments are abit weaker than yours. With a sword I would like even more swings so I have held off enchanting that for now. Just assessing my options.

With my soul trap bow, while I'm also trying to boost up my sneak and marksmanship I find myself killing everything with the bow which sometimes ends up filling grand soul gems with lesser or common souls for example, thats a waste of soul gems I guess.

btw does anyone know what enemies give off grand and greater souls? Is there some kind of list online or anything?

ElyrionX

I just got into the mage guild and have completed the Teekeus quest where I had to retrieve the Fingers of the Mountain book and thus have got his recommendation. I'm thinking of pushing straight ahead to complete the mage guild quests (obtaining all the recommendations) to gain access to the Arcane University. Would this be a wise course now? Or am I better off doing other subquests first?

Also, I just finished the Killing Fields quest where I had to help a farmer's kids kill some goblins. I got a sword called Chillrend from him that deals +5 frost damage and another magical effect which I can't recall now. The sword has 80 charges. I'm wondering whether the charges apply to the other magical effect, the +5 damage or both magical effects? What happens when the charges run out?

jarosh

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Perhaps, but this gives me lots of leeway. Not sure how it's a waste of soul gems exactly. I have tons of gems in my inventory at all times, and it's way easy to fill them up, so not an issue for me. And at the level I'm at, with 100+ Destruction Magic, Blade Skill at 95 or so, I have no problems dishing out magic. Besides, the sword does +35 Electrical as it is. That's a healthy dose of bonus damage, and more than most things I've seen in the game so far. Combine that with a stealth attack, and I'm doing plenty of damage.

Just different approaches I suppose.
yeah, that's probably true.

i just like to sneak and use an absurdly over-enchanted bow (at least for my level) plus poison. 10 ice, 10 fire, 10 electrical, -25 hp, 1 second soul trap. it's called "rage of tartarus". tartarus is the most vile deity in the underworld of greek mythology. he's even lower than hades. his purpose is to punish the souls of those who have sinned. i thought it was quite fitting.

actually i'm pretty curious about everyone's enchanted weapons and their names. anyone interested in sharing their creations?

kaizoku said:
kung fu jedi that sword is kinda insane - how many uses do you get out of it before it needs charging?? I like keeping my bow above 72 charges so my enchantments are abit weaker than yours. With a sword I would like even more swings so I have held off enchanting that for now. Just assessing my options.

I think I get about 30-35 charges out of it, so yes, I need to recharge regularly. However, with plenty of Soul Gems, it's no big deal to recharge it, plus I always carry at least one Varya stone with me in case I need a quick charge of everything. (I have over 25 Varya stones in storage at my house), and with about 125k in gold, I don't mind paying to recharge my items before I head out so I can save my Soul Gems for when I'm in the field. For reference, I think I have probably 20+ Soul Gems on my character, most of which are Grand in value, and most of which are filled with Grand souls, although I think I have a few that are Greater.

I find most of Soul Gems in the ruins, along with the Varya stones, and Welkiand stones, of which I have about 150 of those, and keep 5 on me at all times.

jarosh said:
yeah, that's probably true.

i just like to sneak and use an absurdly over-enchanted bow (at least for my level) plus poison. 10 ice, 10 fire, 10 electrical, -25 hp, 1 second soul trap. it's called "rage of tartarus". tartarus is the most vile deity in the underworld of greek mythology. he's even lower than hades. his purpose is to punish the souls of those who have sinned. i thought it was quite fitting.

actually i'm pretty curious about everyone's enchanted weapons and their names. anyone interested in sharing their creations?

The sword I mentioned is called Soul Stealer. Seems fitting. My enchanted bow, is the Bow of Lightning. I actually would like to change up my Bow, as I like to have a mix of damage types, so I will probably create a new one when I get the chance. Having electrical damage on both my Bow and Sword is bothersome. :lol But I enchanted the bow with one of the spheres from the Oblivion Gates, which gave it more power and charges for essentially no cost to me. Of course, I have plenty of good destruction spells to use as well, although Wizard's Fury is the one I use most often.

Top Bottom