• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Grath

Actually it requires at least level 10.

But if you are a member of the thieves guild, you can buy lockpicks from the fences.

firex

well, damn. The quest description says it only requires level 2, but I personally use a mod that removes those restrictions on the daedra shrine quests anyway (because for the most part, I think quests being limited like that is... well, stupid).

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
firex said:
well, damn. The quest description says it only requires level 2, but I personally use a mod that removes those restrictions on the daedra shrine quests anyway (because for the most part, I think quests being limited like that is... well, stupid).

agreed, I went to the Shrine of Clavicus Vile and got rejected ("Clavicus Vile demands a Hero of greater power!" or something stupid like that), the wandered over to the Ayleid Shrine nearby,
waltzed in and found Umbra at the end. I killed her and barely broke a sweat (thanks to being loaded with potions due to maxing out alchemy), and immediately I get the quest update that I've killed Umbra for the Clavicus Vile quest. After a brief "wtf?" moment, I laughed about how dumb it was.

Regardless, I should install that mod too. The level limits are pretty dumb.

belgurdo

Banned
Nerevar said:
agreed, I went to the Shrine of Clavicus Vile and got rejected ("Clavicus Vile demands a Hero of greater power!" or something stupid like that), the wandered over to the Ayleid Shrine nearby,
waltzed in and found Umbra at the end. I killed her and barely broke a sweat (thanks to being loaded with potions due to maxing out alchemy), and immediately I get the quest update that I've killed Umbra for the Clavicus Vile quest. After a brief "wtf?" moment, I laughed about how dumb it was.

Regardless, I should install that mod too. The level limits are pretty dumb.

Hircine and some other dude (Molag Bal, I think) require me to be level 17 to start their quests, even though I killed the unicorn at level 6 and did the other requirement a million years ago too. When I did Hircine's quest on the 360 there was no level requirement. What gives?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Just got into the Dark Brotherhood.
That set of armor you get is HOT shit. It covers a lot of different parts of the body, but the defense bonus is high enough to where it actually gives me more than my old setup. The only sacrifice I really had to make was taking off my +agility greaves. I'm sure I'll find something soon that'll be too hard for me to resist wearing in lieu of the Dark Brotherhood robe thing though.

raYne

Lost Fragment said:
Just got into the Dark Brotherhood.
That set of armor you get is HOT shit. It covers a lot of different parts of the body, but the defense bonus is high enough to where it actually gives me more than my old setup. The only sacrifice I really had to make was taking off my +agility greaves. I'm sure I'll find something soon that'll be too hard for me to resist wearing in lieu of the Dark Brotherhood robe thing though.
Hmm yeah, I don't think you had to spoiler tag any of that. :lol

One thing I really dislike about the clothing setup is that you can't wear clothes under a cloak. They could've eliminated the potential overpowering by just having "overcoats" with no possibility of enchantment or other stat bonus.

My bro used to do this badass routine while he was fighting in the Arena: At the beginning of every battle he'd be wearing a black cloak and be crouching while the gate was closed. As soon at the gate opened he'd rush forward and launch a fireball into the opponent's chest, then he'd jump to the side/over them and hit them with a "lightning hand strike" in mid air.

Still in the air he'd bring up the menu, drop his coat on the ground and put on the Dark Brotherhood garb so it looked like he had the BD suit on underneath the whole time. Then he'd turn around in mid-air and pull out his sword to finish the battle.

:lol

ocelittle

Banned
My game is so glitched up it's almost impeded me from going anywhere on nearly all of my quests.

I have a bunch where I'm supposed to get someone and take them with me, but they're frozen in place, no matter how long I wait, no matter the time of day.

I have people that I need to get information from, but even with their Disposition Maxxed, I can't get anything.

All I can do is close gates and do the main quest.

It's fucking bullshit. I haven't touched the game in awhile (super glad I bought the CE).

LakeEarth

I think I'm finally starting to get burnt out on Oblivion at about 72 hours. I just need to do the Dark Brotherhood missions (last of my achievement missions) and I can take a break.

GhaleonEB

I'm having a good time mixing it up. I'm basically rotating through the various missions, with 2-4 random dungeons in between. I've gotten three Mage's Guild recomendations, done three Dark Brotherhood assignments, one Fighter's Guild, become the Arena Champion and closed the first Oblivion gate in the main quest. I still have most of the quests ahead of me (only 23 completed) and I'm 62 hours in. I'm taking my own sweet time.

Loving it. As soon as I'm cured of Vampirism I'm off to do some more Dark Brotherhood quests, then join the Thieve's Guild. Then maybe, just maybe, advance that main storyline a bit.

I think I ran into my first bugged quest. It's called Paranoia.
I can't meet the guy the second night behind the chapel. I wait from midnight to 2am, then he teleports in, refuses to talk to me, and goes home.
Done this three times now. Anyone else run into it?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Scarry how this thread is quickly reaching the World of Warcraft thread :lol

On another releated note, i've taken a break from the game.. I regret having leveled intentional, which has kinda turned me off from the game, maybe i'll restart.

firex

I haven't been playing as much, but I blame that on getting some new games and not having enough free time... if I had less of a life I'd probably be done with at least one of the characters I plan on playing.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've finished the thieves' guild, the dark brotherhood, and the main quest...and i think that completes my stay in tamriel. i'd progressed pretty evenly through those three questlines, and finished them all over the last couple days -- their aggregate conclusions felt something like an end, though of course oblivion is open-ended. i may go back for a desultory quest or two. and i never did find a daedric helmet!

if i decide to do the arena and the other guilds, i think i'll start a new character...though i'm not crazy about the prospect of doing those mages' guild recommendations again.

firex

I'm intentionally leaving some stuff out actually! like, for example, I'm leaving out most of the major cities' quests (the ones you can get from the counts/countesses), and I've yet to do the fighter's guild. I'm saving that for my third character. I'll actually beat the main quest with my current (2nd) character though. and I've got an idea for a 4th character that's going to be a lot of fun (gonna try to replicate a death knight from warcraft 3 basically). I'm really liking my assassin guy though (well, he's an assassin because I'm in the DB and thieves' guild, but he's actually a custom class I made - ALL my characters are custom classes actually). I also have different goals with each one, too, I suppose: for my current guy it's to clear the DB and thieves' guild, then do as many side dungeons as I can think of, and be as infamous as possible (so far so good, infamy's way higher than fame). when I play through again I'm going to be as famous as possible (which is honestly a bit too easy in this game) and clear as many oblivion gates as I can. and the last character I'll make will pretty much be focused on killing as many people as I possibly can. it's funny, I'm approaching this game almost like it's an MMO, but it's way more fun and the usual grinding tedium isn't so bad (only in a few cases, like building up armor/block off a mud crab).

I'm closing in on 80 hours of game play, and I'm still loving it, although I'm thinking about focusing on the main quest now and maybe finishing it up before I complete the thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood. I'm about half-way through the thieves guild quests at the moment.

I rotate around the things I do. Sometimes I will work ong guild quests, other times I will go after some of the many side quests, and still other times I'll just go exploring and tomb raiding. And then every once in awhile, I'll go after some of the main quest. It keeps things very fresh, and it's fun to just take a peek at the map, see some open spots, then go there and explore to see what you've been missing. Still so much to do and see.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm closing in on 80 hours of game play, and I'm still loving it, although I'm thinking about focusing on the main quest now and maybe finishing it up before I complete the thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood. I'm about half-way through the thieves guild quests at the moment.

I rotate around the things I do. Sometimes I will work ong guild quests, other times I will go after some of the many side quests, and still other times I'll just go exploring and tomb raiding. And then every once in awhile, I'll go after some of the main quest. It keeps things very fresh, and it's fun to just take a peek at the map, see some open spots, then go there and explore to see what you've been missing. Still so much to do and see.
Yeah. I'm at around 50 hours now and still loving every minute of it with no sign of the lovefest ending. So much to do, see and explore. It'll take something really special to remove this game from GOTY for me.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Nerevar: Yeah, I agree with you for the most part. I'm also a HUGE fan of the Thief games. The first one is amongst my top two or three favorite games of all time, and I would have liked the stealth characters to behave more like that game. The one shot kills were awesome in Thief too, but that would be a bit unbalancing. Maybe next time, we can have damage mapped to a certain part of the body, so a headshot will take out a humanoid creature of certain levels.

Stealth abilities did come along way this time, as I like the eye icon to indicate when you are or aren't hidden, sort of Thief-ish. But they can improve a lot more in the next version for sure.

I totally LOVED the first Thief, and I agree, the one shot kills were most awesome. I would give up all combat to be able to back-stab or stick an arrow in someones head or heart. Then I could be a true thief.

I would really rather be playing a real Thief game on the 360 if the truth be known.

I would love more Thief, but sadly, I doubt it will ever happen. They really nailed the stealth elements in that game and did such a nice job of creating a consistent world to explore. The NPC's felt alive, and it seemed like everything was there for a reason. The Thief world also had a nice background and history to it, and it gave you a sense that you were in a world that was rich with possibilities. The first Thief game was way ahead of it's time in so many ways.

Feeling a bit bored with doing the usual quests? Here's something fun that you can do instead!

Travel to all the stores in Tamriel and use a fireball with a range of 5-10 to make all of the owner's inventory fly through the air and become scattered about on the floor. It's a blast!

GhaleonEB

Is there a level cap? I just realized I'm level 18 and have done about 15% of the quests. So many extra dungeons/caves/ruins/Oblivion Gates.....

Gonna start focusing on quests for a bit now. I did a couple of the shrine quests last night - fun stuff.

Oh - and thanks for the lockpick advice. I can do some of them by hand now. What I didn't see mentioned is that there is an audio cue when you hit the slowest tap, not just visual. The normal sound is single, "teek" noise. When you can lock it in place you get a two-tone, "teek, tweek". I did four locks with my eyes closed, just focusing on the sound.

Alright, so I finally got around to getting Oblivion for the PC. The "intro" dungeon was pretty cool and whet my appetite for finally getting out into the field, was pissed when the guard took the awesome katana away from me. I did the first quest by bringing the Amulet of Hearts to the dude in that one town, but now I think I'm fucked:

-I stole one of the horses from the stable in that town and I rode it all the way to the Gold Coast. When I talked to one of the guards at the castle, he arrested me. This has me absolutely flabbergasted. I traveled something like 20 fucking miles on that horse, there is no way they could've known it was stolen. Anyway, do I have to start over?

-Picked the archer class for my desire to become a bow-hunter, is mounted archery possible?

-Also can I change the voice of my character? I modeled him after myself, and it's a little strange to see such a youthful fellow sport such a heavy warrior voice.

raYne

Red Blaster said:
-I stole one of the horses from the stable in that town and I rode it all the way to the Gold Coast. When I talked to one of the guards at the castle, he arrested me. This has me absolutely flabbergasted. I traveled something like 20 fucking miles on that horse, there is no way they could've known it was stolen.
If you commit a crime word spreads pretty instantaneously.

Anyway, do I have to start over?
Why would you?

-Picked the archer class for my desire to become a bow-hunter, is mounted archery possible?
No, no battling while on horse back at all.

-Also can I change the voice of my character?
Your character has no voice.

GhaleonEB

Sho Nuff said:
I got my first "Adoring Fan"! I wanted to see if he was dedicated enough to follow me into Oblivion. He did. He died. :lol
I told mine to piss off and haven't seen him since. I plan to kill him as often as necessary - and pay the fines - to keep him gone.

Vark

Fanboy rocks. :p

My favorite is when you steal something in front of him he does his 'wha.. I.. I didn't see anything!' speech.

firex

Great Rumbler said:
Feeling a bit bored with doing the usual quests? Here's something fun that you can do instead!

Travel to all the stores in Tamriel and use a fireball with a range of 5-10 to make all of the owner's inventory fly through the air and become scattered about on the floor. It's a blast!
I remember doing some quest in the imperial city where I had to deal with a super bitch unkillable NPC. She pissed me off, so since I couldn't kill her, I got back at her by jumping on her desk and kicking everything off! (not literally, but I did run around until I knocked over every single object she had)

firex

GhaleonEB said:
Is there a level cap? I just realized I'm level 18 and have done about 15% of the quests. So many extra dungeons/caves/ruins/Oblivion Gates.....

Gonna start focusing on quests for a bit now. I did a couple of the shrine quests last night - fun stuff.

Oh - and thanks for the lockpick advice. I can do some of them by hand now. What I didn't see mentioned is that there is an audio cue when you hit the slowest tap, not just visual. The normal sound is single, "teek" noise. When you can lock it in place you get a two-tone, "teek, tweek". I did four locks with my eyes closed, just focusing on the sound.
Level cap = whatever it takes for you to reach 100 with all of your major skills. Usually that's somewhere in the 40s at least, while the highest I've seen possible is like level 53/54.

I think if you took every single skill your race has a bonus with as a major skill, and then specialized in a category that would bring most of them up even higher, you'd possibly have a max level of like 38 or something.

actually, I just tried oblivionmods.info and the lowest I think I could make was a level cap of 45 by going with an orc, all combat skills, and combat specialization. But anyway, just go to http://oblivionmods.info and put in your character's specialization, race, preferred attributes and major skills and you can find out your level cap.

Edwood

Sho Nuff said:
I got my first "Adoring Fan"! I wanted to see if he was dedicated enough to follow me into Oblivion. He did. He died. :lol

Adoring Fan was my Torch Boy following me into ruins and such. But he's dead.

So he'll never come back?

Oh well. At least I have my Orchish Bride now. :p

-Ed

Lince

Banned
Adoring Fan was my Torch Boy following me into ruins and such. But he's dead

QFT, I just got mine

oblivionfan.jpg

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Anyone else both a PC AND xbox 360 player like me? What mods from the PC version do you think should somehow be included in the xbox 360 version because they dramatically improve the gameplay experience? My thoughts:

1) Illumination within: Adds light textures and shutters to windows at appropriate times of night (guild halls and taverns stay lit up longer, etc). Adds a ton to the atmosphere of towns at night, and has virtually no overhead as far as I can tell. After playing with it and going back to the xbox, the towns feel dead at early evening, which sucks.

2) Plant Alchemy ingredients removed: (I'm using it as part of the auto-harvesting mod, so I'm not 100% sure of the name). Basically, this mod removes the model of the plant after you try and harvest an ingredient from it. It certainly makes a lot more sense from a gameplay perspective, and helps you when you go out on ingredient harvesting missions.

3) Vagabond's better gold: Retextures the gold coins to actually make them look like gold coins, rather than little yellow blobs. Once again, definitely adds to the atmosphere.

4) Oblivion Color Map Mod: It adds color to the overworld map which is a really nice effect. Makes the default map look boring.

5) almost forgot this one: Better water mod. It reduces the murkiness in water and makes it harder to see into the water from outside it. It's a little unrealistic on default how you can see pretty clearly from dry ground into water, but once you get in you can't see more than an inch in front of your face.

Any other great mods that people have used that just add significantly to the gameplay, that you find it hard to play without? I love BTMod, but I don't know if that would work with the distance you sit from a TV versus a computer monitor. Regardless, the above mods add a lot to the game, and Bethesda should figure out some way to let xbox users enjoy them.

raYne

Citizen K said:
Anyone know of any items that boost armourer skills? Mine is well below the 50 I need to repair magical items...
Hmm.. I don't really remember finding armorer boosting items (If I did, they're probably at home locked in my cabinet with my other 1000+ things I never use :lol). If you've finished the Mages Guild, you could just go to the Arcane University and make your own.

There's also the fact that you could use a fortify armorer spell (adds 20 points), so you could repair magical items at level 30.

Or you could do what I did and just put on some non-enchanted armor, get a bunch of repair hammers and journey into the wilderness and find something to beat you up (Bandits/boars/wolves etc work best). My defenses and stats were high enough that I could restore myself consistently. So I just stood there and let them go to work. Jumping up on a nearby boulder to recharge magica when needed.

This way you get:
+Armor skill stats (heavy/light depending on what you're wearing)
+Restoration skill stats
+Armorer skill stats (when you repair what you're wearing)
etc.

Should only take you a game day or so. Keep in mind though, if you do my method you'd need to kill them in order to actually repair your stuff. Of course you'll should have a LOT of hammers depending on just how low your skill currently is...

LakeEarth

Lince said:
QFT, I just got mine

oblivionfan.jpg
I can't get rid of him! One time I went into a troll infested cave and told him to 'wait right there', and just left him there. I thought I got rid of him, but 30 hours later I found him running from me while I was being attacked by the guards. Go away you fucker!

What do you guys name your enchanted items that you create from the Sigil Stones?

A few of mine:

Shocka Khan (shock damage silver sword)

Magic in my Pants (fortify magic greaves)

Electric Green Ballslap (shocking glass sword)

Emerald Blade of Fuckstomp (health damage glass sword - the bloodspray is awesome)

LakeEarth said:
I can't get rid of him! One time I went into a troll infested cave and told him to 'wait right there', and just left him there. I thought I got rid of him, but 30 hours later I found him running from me while I was being attacked by the guards. Go away you fucker!

I told my fan to wait in my house and he's been there ever since. I've had him follow me when I moved into bigger digs but then told him to stay put once in my new place. I've never had him follow me without being told. I think he will run off when attacked (or respawn if killed) so it's possible that cave repopulated and he was evicted. I've never tried to dismiss him so don't know how that works.

GhaleonEB

I'm not a vampire anymore, and I'm back in the Mage's Guild. 25 freaking hours later! Wooooooooo.

Back to questing now. Going to advance the main story a notch or two, then finish up my recomendations for the Arcane University. Then back to being a dastardly SOB for the Dark Brotherhood.

So much to do, so little time.

82 hours in, making it about 20 hours longer the the longest RPG I've ever played. Loving it.

snaildog

raYne said:
Should only take you a game day or so. Keep in mind though, if you do my method you'd need to kill them in order to actually repair your stuff. Of course you'll should have a LOT of hammers depending on just how low your skill currently is...
I did one big cheesey levelling session after the When Gods Annoy quest:
Those four little imp things live in the cave afterwards, and you can just run around killing them while they respawn. Good thing is they won't attack you until you attack them first, so you can just rest whenever you want.

firex

One thing that's funny is, there are a lot of traps/poisons/random diseases I'm sure I haven't gotten with my assassin, because I made him an Argonian (best damn thief race, I swear, and good for all-around exploration) so even if I wanted to become a vampire, I'm not sure I could do it without either letting some vampire NPCs beat me up for awhile, or the other spoilerish way. Anyway, in my time when I'm not working I've been doing the thieves' guild, and it's awesome. Way way way better than the Mages' guild (only other guild I've done, aside from being on the third or fourth contract with the DB on this same thief character). I've got to say, the thieves' guild feels shorter, but way way way better done than the mages' guild did. Maybe it's just that with the thieves' guild, individual missions are longer (unless my memory's fooling me, I don't remember a lot of mage guild quests taking too long) and you get to see much more interesting locations, and a more interesting story (IMO, though at least the mages' guild eventually picks up some). Though maybe I just took awhile to get through the mages' guild, I know I got sidetracked with some other sidequests that dealt with related NPCs (garridan's tears being one of them, and I think part of the main quest).

Zensetsu

firex said:
One thing that's funny is, there are a lot of traps/poisons/random diseases I'm sure I haven't gotten with my assassin, because I made him an Argonian

:lol Yeah. My first two characters were an Argonian assassin and a Altmer mage...diddn't catch a single disease with either....caught my first one just the other day when I started a nord warrior-type. It was like "oohh yeah, there ARE diseases"...I had totally forgotten. Though they seem to be less of a pain than they were in Morrowind....the npc's don't seem to shun\yell at you anymore.

Crow

Eel O'Brian said:
What do you guys name your enchanted items that you create from the Sigil Stones?

A few of mine:

Shocka Khan (shock damage silver sword)

Magic in my Pants (fortify magic greaves)

Electric Green Ballslap (shocking glass sword)

Emerald Blade of Fuckstomp (health damage glass sword - the bloodspray is awesome)

lol creative. I went for boring names

Wills Well (amulet that fortifys magicka. The 'Well' concept stolen from Wheel of Time and 'Will' is the term for magic in Fable)

Robe of Preservation (Robe enchated with 20% resist weapon)

Boots of Light Foot (Feather 200pts)

Funny thing is when I use Feather spell, it doesn't make me faster it just allows me to carry more. But when I enchanted my boots with feather, it makes makes me run so much faster as if I had enchanted them with fortify speed. It's wierd.

GhaleonEB

Zensetsu said:
:lol Yeah. My first two characters were an Argonian assassin and a Altmer mage...diddn't catch a single disease with either....caught my first one just the other day when I started a nord warrior-type. It was like "oohh yeah, there ARE diseases"...I had totally forgotten. Though they seem to be less of a pain than they were in Morrowind....the npc's don't seem to shun\yell at you anymore.
Oh just wait until you're a vampire.

firex

yeah, when I was playing my breton guy about a month ago, I contracted vampirism about 5 times but since I had cure disease, I just fixed it right then and there.

GhaleonEB

I never noticed that I had contracted it. The message popped up in combat and I missed it. I didn't realize I was one until I had the first dream message.

:(

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sorry guys, gonna unsticky this until after E3. Don't worry, you'll get to 10,000 replies!

GhaleonEB

EviLore said:
Sorry guys, gonna unsticky this until after E3. Don't worry, you'll get to 10,000 replies!
And here I was coming in to say goodbye to everyone.

I'm only 20% done with the quests, I'm gonna need these guys. :)

Top Bottom