• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
how does one use the azura's star thing from the azura shrine quest? Just got it earlier, dunno what to do with it now. stores one grand soul or what?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
A hundred hours in and I am now only just getting into the collectors and mages guild quests!

For anyway complaining about the balance of the game when you reach a high level just turn the difficulty up a few clicks and problem solved. Three clicks up on the difficulty and I am treating enemies with respect again.

Pellham

Banned
Can someone explain to me how soul traping works? I have tried casting soul trap on monsters but it just doesn't work. I've gotten it to succeed once, but I don't remember what I did to get it done right. Do I have to weaken the monster at all? Is there a way to make a weapon that soul traps automatically?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Pellham said:
Can someone explain to me how soul traping works? I have tried casting soul trap on monsters but it just doesn't work. I've gotten it to succeed once, but I don't remember what I did to get it done right. Do I have to weaken the monster at all? Is there a way to make a weapon that soul traps automatically?
I think it only works on undead creatures (Skeletons, ghosts, etc.)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Speevy said:
That's not true at all. You can soul trap daedroth, atronaches, minotaurs, whatever.
Really? Do you have to be a certain level or something? I also can never seem to ST my own conjurations even tho I see the damn message telling me I can do it like every other load screen :(.

Speevy

Banned
I'm not sure about levels, as I power-leveled before even starting.

But the way you do it is make sure you have a large enough soul gem (I'm sure there's a guide somewhere) cast soul trap for X seconds, where X is more than the amount of time you need to kill the thing, then it will trap the soul.

Some souls require greater or even grand soul gems.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Ok soul trap 101

- Cast soul trap on the creature or use a weapon with the effect (black soul gems are needed for humanoids)
- Make sure your soul gem has enough room for the soul (this comes with experience)
- Kill the creature before the soul trap spell runs out
- Bang the soul is yours

If the creature stops being a shade of purple the spell has run out so cast it again.

C4Lukins

Pellham said:

To soul trap a creature, you basically have to do it right before you kill it. I think there are different durations the spell will last, but in general it is good to cast it right before you hit them with the killing blow. You can also put a 1 second soul trap on a weapon, so basically it will do it automatically if you kill them with that weapon and it still has charges left. You of course also need empty soul gems for it to work.

Soul trap is great once you get the mechanics down, and it sure comes in handy when recharging those weapons in the middle of a dungeon. I've probably got more than 2 dozen fully charged gems of various levels on me at all times.

I started concentrating more on the main quest over the weekend. I'm thinking it's time to finish it off and then focus on some of the other elements. I still haven't completed the THieves Guild or Brotherhood questlines, so I'm sort of saving those until after the main quest. Right now, I'm
going after the Grand Welkyand Stone.
The game just continues to hold my attention and give me new things to do.

What's the largest amound of gold you've found in one chest? Over the weekend when I was playing I found several chests with 750 gold in them. Generally I'm finding 75-100, but occasionally I'd hit a bigger score, but this was the first time I found anything that large.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I just finished the collector’s quest line; it was hard but definitely worth the effort. I just can’t believe how fresh this game is after 100+ hours of gameplay.

I think it definitely the quality of the quests that puts this game above morrowind.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Do The Mario said:
Wow I just finished the collector’s quest line; it was hard but definitely worth the effort. I just can’t believe how fresh this game is after 100+ hours of gameplay.

I think it definitely the quality of the quests that puts this game above morrowind.

couldn't agree more. The quests themselves are just generally a LOT more interesting. I think the compass actually adds a lot too, because the quests become more about the dialogue and story and less about hunting for random magic object X in the middle of a field of ashy mountains (God I hated that quest so much ....)

jarosh said:
i found one chest with a very random (but high) amount of gold. something like 682.

Yeah, the ones I found weren't 750 exactly, the were like 753 abd 758 or something fairly random as well.

Do The Mario: I agree, the quests are excellent, and some of them, like The Collector, are very deep, long, and challenging. That one gets pretty insane at the end. :D

jarosh

honestly, i would NEVER have expected to play any game for more than 70 hours. what's surprising is that i'm still having a blast with oblivion. i just can't believe that it never gets boring.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Nerevar said:
couldn't agree more. The quests themselves are just generally a LOT more interesting. I think the compass actually adds a lot too, because the quests become more about the dialogue and story and less about hunting for random magic object X in the middle of a field of ashy mountains (God I hated that quest so much ....)

Not to mention dense fog that plagued the xb version of morrowind!

I am finding myself choosing to walk to some quests points because the environments are so beautiful and the draw distance so dam impressive.

I am desperately waiting for the patch so I can cure my vampirism (got to get cured for the expansion packs whenever they come!)

jarosh said:
honestly, i would NEVER have expected to play any game for more than 70 hours. what's surprising is that i'm still having a blast with oblivion. i just can't believe that it never gets boring.

Agreed. I'm 80+ hours in, and still loving it. And the funny thing is, I keep thinking there is still so much I want to do! :lol

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Agreed. I'm 80+ hours in, and still loving it. And the funny thing is, I keep thinking there is still so much I want to do! :lol

I haven’t touched the mages guild yet, plus I have some interesting quests that I picked up while exploring (one involving two warring goblin tribes in the middle of what is going to be a new farming estate).

I think this game will be knocking on the 200 hour mark buy the time I am done, something that hasn’t happened to me since BG2.

Originally Posted by Eel O'Brian:
What do you guys name your enchanted items that you create from the Sigil Stones?

A few of mine:

Shocka Khan (shock damage silver sword)

Magic in my Pants (fortify magic greaves)

Electric Green Ballslap (shocking glass sword)

Emerald Blade of Fuckstomp (health damage glass sword - the bloodspray is awesome)

I created an enchanted shield. It's name is Minimus Maximus. It has a constant Feather enchantment.

A chamelion ring I made is named Theveil only with a small "t" (theveil).. get it, the veil? :lol

A night-eye ring is named Sammy's Choice (inspired by Sammy Fisher, ya know, the silent-killer type?)

My character, Evelyn Waugh (do the research) is actually based on Galadriel (LOTR: http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/Land/9730/lotrsite.html )

If you will remember, when tempted to take the One Ring, she said she would want to use the power of the ring for good, but would become a horrible and magnificent queen? Well, I thought of that and wanted to experience the dark side as an uber powerful queen altmir elf wizard with extreme magical powers. Plus she looks totally hot in that special DB suit of armor.

She is an Altmir Elf and her class is Nightblade. She is tall and has short red hair. She looks awesome in the new suit the Dark Brotherhood gave to me. I have joined the Dark Brotherhood rather early in my career and now own the fully upgraded Wizard's Spire - Frostcrag. I also bought the Horse Armor so now my black horse has Elvin armor when she helps me fight.

I love that world. I love not fast traveling and using my horse a lot. Riding her all over the place is a super fun to get your map all decked out. I am just having too much fun. :D :lol

I spent the better part of a day just moving my inventory from the ghetto waterfront pirate ship to Frostcrag. I intend to rename Frostcrag, if possible, to Isengard, unless someone here has an uber sweet name. Is it possible to rename Frostcrag in the world?

Ahh... Home at last.....
Frostcrag.jpg

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
80hrs is childs play for an ES game. I remember when 200hrs was required just to be strong enough to beat the game without power leveling. You can easily play for 400+ hours without doing the same thing twice.

Shaheed79 said:
80hrs is childs play for an ES game. I remember when 200hrs was required just to be strong enough to beat the game without power leveling. You can easily play for 400+ hours without doing the same thing twice.

I've played both Daggerfall and Morrowind before this, so I knew what I was getting myself into. :D

Question: I think I have a curse, but it doesnt show up as a curse. My luck is listed at 16 and I know its suppose to be 60 (yes its red). I figure to get rid of it I go to a church but they all say Im a sinner.

Any idea why Im a sinner or how to get rid of this curse?

PS: I am in the thief and Dark Brotherhood guilds, and I have no bounty but have been jailed.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Me too. I've got 30 active quests, I'm not yet fully in the Mage's Guild (still doing recomendations), I'm 2-3 quests into the Fighter's and Dark Brotherhood quest lines and I just started the main quest. I have not even joined the Thieve's guild. 0_o

And I'm 82 hours in. I keep telling myself I'm going to focus on questing when I run into random ruins or caves, and just go exploring. "I wonder what's in there...." probably sucked up a good 40 hours of my playtime so far. :lol

raYne

GreenNight said:
Any idea why Im a sinner or how to get rid of this curse?
It's related to your current fame/infamy. If your infamy is (much)higher than the former, you'll be considered evil ie a sinner by the populous.

Also, it's doesn't have to be a "curse". You could've fought an enemy who used a drain luck weapon against you.

Since you can't pray it away, the best choices would be either:
a) mix a potion to restore your luck.
b) eat the ingredients themselves to restore said luck.

Thanks man, I didnt even see that info in the manual. Thats exactly it with the fame. I knew I shouldnt have killed all those people in prison.

GhaleonEB said:
Me too. I've got 30 active quests, I'm not yet fully in the Mage's Guild (still doing recomendations), I'm 2-3 quests into the Fighter's and Dark Brotherhood quest lines and I just started the main quest. I have not even joined the Thieve's guild. 0_o

And I'm 82 hours in. I keep telling myself I'm going to focus on questing when I run into random ruins or caves, and just go exploring. "I wonder what's in there...." probably sucked up a good 40 hours of my playtime so far. :lol

Yeah, I keep getting sucked into exploring ruins and dungeons as well. :) Can't help myself. I especially like the Aleyid ruins as they always offer up some nice loot. I think I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 Welkyand stones, and probably another 30-35 Varya stones. :lol

firex

Kung Fu Jedi said:
What's the largest amound of gold you've found in one chest? Over the weekend when I was playing I found several chests with 750 gold in them. Generally I'm finding 75-100, but occasionally I'd hit a bigger score, but this was the first time I found anything that large.
Just reading through this thread again since I missed some of it due to all the E3 topics:
I've found chests with like, 1k-1200 gold on my Breton (level 40, but I honestly stopped playing him because I just didn't like the way he was turning out at that high level).

and in general: I must be near the end of the thieves' guild... and it's really awesome so far. The last quest I complicated was for the head of a certain arrow (don't want to spoil anything) and now I'm after some boots. I get the feeling I'm gearing up for an ultimate heist! This is by far the most fun I've had with a major questline in oblivion. Honestly, once I'm done with this, I'm focusing on the DB, and then I'll do the fun side dungeon raiding quests.

Also, I've got a question for anyone out there: I've come across this one elven ruin that's completely blocked off by a giant stone in front of it. I can't remember the name, but it's a bit northwest of the Roxey Inn/majorly northwest of the Imperial City in the Great Forest region of the world map. But anyway, this dungeon gave me a map location, yet I can't see any way to enter it. Is this related to some quest that opens it later on? I'll come back to this thread soon with a name for the area, since that should help.

snaildog

Quick tip to anyone with the PC version that might be obvious: defragment the harddrive with Morrowind on it! My average computer now runs it nice and smoothly.

Edit: Oblivion! Don't know why I typed Morrowind :lol

snaildog said:
Quick tip to anyone with the PC version that might be obvious: defragment the harddrive with Morrowind on it! My average computer now runs it nice and smoothly.

You still have Morrowind on your machine? With Oblivion out?? :lol

But seriously, it took E3, and all the PS3/Wii announcements to kick our Oblivion thread off the stickies. That's pretty impressive. :D

Brannon

Sooooooo.... any word on when the real patch for Oblivion comes out? And have you considered making lockpicking and body/chest looting real-time?

Sho Nuff

Banned
FUCKITY FUCK FUCK!!!

I can't get all the XBL achievements for the game because of the Swampy Cave bug that makes the fighters guild quests impossible to finish.

Talk about a turd on top of my birthday cake

GhaleonEB

Sho Nuff said:
FUCKITY FUCK FUCK!!!

I can't get all the XBL achievements for the game because of the Swampy Cave bug that makes the fighters guild quests impossible to finish.

What is this bug? I'm starting to do some Fighter's Guild quests now.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Sho Nuff said:
FUCKITY FUCK FUCK!!!

Same, I am just hoping the patch sorts this out!

If you have been into swampy cave and killed some trolls it bug’s a fighters guild quest.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Ash Housewares said:
what is the bug? if you go to swampy cave too soon it messes up a later quest?

if so could you make another character to do it over?

Essentially if you go into the cave and kill some trolls, after you get the quest and return it removes a journal you need (IIRC).

LakeEarth

I just did the "Whodunnit?" Dark Brotherhood quest (spoilers!), I gotta tell you that was the most fun I've in this game in a while. I didn't even kill half the guys, they kept killing each other, right in front of each other. It was hilarious, the one guy runs up to the girl and kills her, then goes "Oh my god there's a MURDERER amongst us!"

Even if that didn't happen, it wouldn't make any sense. Which one of us is the killer? The rich debutant? The smith? The shopkeep? Or the guy in full daedric armor and a giant sword? WHODUNNIT!??!

firex

I seem to have a bug too, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I recently completed the Thieves Guild and decided to try out the reward right where I got it. I took it off soon after but now I can't fast travel, because "You can't fast travel when there are guards chasing you."

Despite this message, there are no guards after me and I can do out of combat stuff like repairing and alchemy. Can I just fence my stolen goods and talk to a guard and pay a fine to get rid of this bug, or what?

bengraven

Sho Nuff said:
FUCKITY FUCK FUCK!!!

That brings to mind why I don't explore caves and mines much in this game. Because I never know when I'll have to go in there for something during a quest. It scares me to know I could have fucked up that quest.

Anyway, status so far:

112 hours in, all four guilds finished (just ended the Mage's Guild yesterday), all the misc. townspeople/Count/Countesses sidequests done, one Daedric quest (Sheogorath!), two Master Trainer quests done, one Settlement quest done, no collector quests, and I just finished the
Daedric Artifact (see: Sheogorath above)
part of the main quest. I may once again (like I did 100 hours earlier) put off the MQ and do the rest of the side quests. :)

I loved Morrowind, but my god, I predict a LOT of Oblivion for a very long time. I've only played with one character for fuck's sake! There's still a lot left! I want to make a Khajiit and an Argonian and a female Breton! I WANT MORE...:lol

I think one thing I'd like Beth to do with downloadable content, though, is more sidequests. Just more random people walking up to you "ohmygawd, my sister fell down a well plaqued by undead rats".

BTW, I hate GameFAQs. You hate GameFAQs. We all hate GameFAQs. But how irritating are those reviews over there? Fucking kids... :lol

/stops ranting on this fantastic fucking game

oldboy1

Banned
Developer Ashley ACheng Cheng showed off the upcoming Thieves Den download for Oblivion behind closed doors today, but I got a chance to check it out.

"Basically, it's Goonies," he said. "That's what we really wanted."

In the downloadable mission, which will be released in two weeks, you battle for control of a massive cave, complete with a haunting pirate ship. Once you conquer the lair, it forever belongs to your character.

You can start a band of pirates. You can plunder. And you can decorate your captain's chamber with furniture.

Cheng also hinted at further content on the way.

"We're going to keep on releasing content every three to four weeks as long as people keep playing," Cheng said. "We've got six or seven in the queue—one is a huge and epic dungeon."

Sourced from a trusted source on another forum.

Pimpbaa

Shouldn't that be:

"We're going to keep on releasing content every three to four weeks as long as people keep PAYING," Cheng said.

Hope they are working on an expansion too rather than just nickle and diming us every three to four weeks :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
bengraven said:
BTW, I hate GameFAQs. You hate GameFAQs. We all hate GameFAQs. But how irritating are those reviews over there? Fucking kids... :lol

/stops ranting on this fantastic fucking game

:lol

That review is hilarious, though the be fair the vast majority of the reviews on GameFAQs are positive.

Still, I have to admit a fair number of people who I know personally that are younger, console and Final Fantasy-centric RPG fans have been utterly baffled by it and think it "sucks" because of all that unfair stuff like level scaling, and the lack of epic CGI battles and summon spells and stuff...

Top Bottom