• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Can anyone go on record why all PAL users from non English speaking countries cannot still get ANY of the DLC content ?

It seems like you want to be silent and forget about the fact many users cannot even purchase your DLC if they wanted to. SteveMeister ? Vark ? What is holding everything back ? Please someone give us some sort of answer, anything.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Panajev2001a said:
Can anyone go on record why all PAL users from non English speaking countries cannot still get ANY of the DLC content ?

It seems like you want to be silent and forget about the fact many users cannot even purchase your DLC if they wanted to. SteveMeister ? Vark ? What is holding everything back ? Please someone give us some sort of answer, anything.

In defense of those guys, that probably has more to do with Take-Two and MS than it does the actual developers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nerevar said:
In defense of those guys, that probably has more to do with Take-Two and MS than it does the actual developers.

Oh really, MS and Take2 involved with releasing DLC's to the U.K. and other places outside Europe that casually have the release of Oblivion with the original English voices and text, but not in Italy and many other non English speaking PAL countries ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SteveMeister said:
I'm working on a different project and am not involved in DLC at all, so I have no idea Panajev2001a. Sorry.

Thank you for answering me directly, I thought I was on your ignore list or something because of my insistence on this subject ;).

I will keep asking, just not to you then :lol.

Vark

Panajev2001a said:
You are twisting the proverbial knife :p.

DLC is bound by the same legal rights and hang ups that full games are. I honestly don't know who owns the rights to DLC in other territories so I can't comment on it. Whomever put the game out in your territory I suppose :|

yay laws!

Nerevar

Vark said:
DLC is bound by the same legal rights and hang ups that full games are. I honestly don't know who owns the rights to DLC in other territories so I can't comment on it. Whomever put the game out in your territory I suppose :|

yay laws!

Thanks for saying it more precisely than I ever could :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
GhaleonEB said:
That's the first batch of DLC content that interests me. I hope the cave is H-U-G-E.

As long as they have a chubby servant in there who does the Truffle Shuffle, I'm happy.

Oh, and a restroom. The lack of facilities in Cyrodiil is disturbing. My Orc has been holding his water for 140 hours. He needs to blast a wicked dookie! (He won't go in the woods like those uncooth Nords)

gvandale

bah! someone help. I'm on the daedric quest
Hercindus (sp?) where you get the umbra sword...

well everytime I go to return it, or even NOT give him the sword back, my 360 locks up. I really want the +personality maks this quest gives, and I can't flippin get it!!!

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how do I get around it?

raYne

gvandale said:

well everytime I go to return it, or even NOT give him the sword back, my 360 locks up. I really want the +personality maks this quest gives, and I can't flippin get it!!!

I had the same issue. I wanted to see the different outcomes so I saved beforehand. If I told him I wanted to keep it it'd lock up. If I gave it back he'd give me the reward.. I'd start to walk and THEN it'd lock up.

I planned to keep it anyway, so I just kept it without saying anything to him. :lol

No clue how to get around it if you want the stat bonus.. I'd try a few times, if it's still a no go hopefully it gets patched (along with the Siren's Quest) in the future.

gvandale

well that sucks. i'm a blunt master and dont use swords, so the umbra is useless to me. oh well. at least it doesn't weigh anything since it's now perma-stuck in my backpack (can't remove quest items bulls**t)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Vark said:

yay laws!

Edit: thanks to you too Vark for answering.

The game is published by Take2 in all Europe, it is in Italy and the DLC passes through Bethesda and Microsoft. Also, while not taking part in the unification of the currency the U.K. are still part of the European Community... I really do not know who to complain to, it seems like a perfect infinite blame game scenario where it is no-one's fault.

I do not get why legal hang-ups did not affect the retail version of the game (compared to the U.K. release for example), but are only affecting the release of DLC in all the countries in which the game was localized and not just left with the original voices and text.

It does seem a bit strange... you can give me that I hope.

I wish I had known that before hand as well as that all text in all the game's books was going to be localized, but I will not hate on you or Steve because people were a bit misled (about what would and would not be localized which Bethesda never made it pretty clear...). You made a great game regardless. I would have just ordered the U.K. version instead of buying it in Italy.

I have a question about levels. I'm fighting in the arena and I'm on the last battle. I was getting my ass kicked. So I decided to go level a bit and go back and fight. But the fight seems just as hard, what gives? do the NPC's level up with you to make it just as difficult?

SupaFlySoccerMom said:
I have a question about levels. I'm fighting in the arena and I'm on the last battle. I was getting my ass kicked. So I decided to go level a bit and go back and fight. But the fight seems just as hard, what gives? do the NPC's level up with you to make it just as difficult?

Yes. NPC's level up, to a certain extent, with you in order to ccontinue giving you a challenge throughout the game. There has been a ton of discussion on it, with some people feeling that it breaks the game and make it unimportant to level, while others (such as myself) argue that the continued challenge is good, and helps to keep the game fresh.

It should be noted that when you level up, you do outpace, and eventually pass the NPC's, it just takes longer then it would in other games. For me, it forced me to try new and different tactics, improve my equipment, and learn new ways to approach things. I never saw it as an issue, and my character fights battles much differently now, at 36th level, then he did at the early levels.

gvandale said:

That's a pretty prevalent bug. I luckily got around it by fast traveling immediately as soon as I gained control after the daedra lord stopped talking. I fast traveled to Bruma, so I don't know if it works by fast traveling anywhere else.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yes. NPC's level up, to a certain extent, with you in order to ccontinue giving you a challenge throughout the game. There has been a ton of discussion on it, with some people feeling that it breaks the game and make it unimportant to level, while others (such as myself) argue that the continued challenge is good, and helps to keep the game fresh.

It should be noted that when you level up, you do outpace, and eventually pass the NPC's, it just takes longer then it would in other games. For me, it forced me to try new and different tactics, improve my equipment, and learn new ways to approach things. I never saw it as an issue, and my character fights battles much differently now, at 36th level, then he did at the early levels.
To toss in my $0.02:

I love the leveling. It does keep the game 'fresh' as you go. And really, it's the only way to make a game like this work. If they didn't level, and certain areas had monsters that only a high-level character could beat in any reasonable way, then it would restrict the way the game is played. As KFJ said, you do outpace enemies gradually; I'm killing mountain lions in a couple of smacks now.

What you can do is leverage your increased skills to offset the leveling. For example, I was getting whomped in the Arena early on. I leveled a bit, and in so doing bought some pretty powerful spells and began mixing poisons. So when I went to battle in the Arena the next time, I used a mix of combat, poisons and destruction spells to WHOMP everyone. Had I just fought the same way, without taking advantage of my new skills, it would have been just as hard.

In short, it forces you to use new tactics as you go to make the battles easier. I find it quite satisfying.

GhaleonEB said:
love the leveling. It does keep the game 'fresh' as you go. And really, it's the only way to make a game like this work. If they didn't level, and certain areas had monsters that only a high-level character could beat in any reasonable way, then it would restrict the way the game is played. As KFJ said, you do outpace enemies gradually; I'm killing mountain lions in a couple of smacks now.

If only that was all the levelling system affected. It's a good idea, but the heavy-handed application pretty much ruins some of the more fundamental aspects of the genre.

Shops are all but useless in the game because merchants never have equipment better than what your level dictates, and in fact what they have is usually several notches below what you find equipped on bandits and in dungeons. Saving up for that nice weapon or piece of armor you've got your eye on is a staple of the genre, but it's completely absent here, which in turn devalues money and the arts of thievery.

So the cycle of saving up for better equipment to help you survive more dangerous places which gets you more loot to buy even better equipment to survive even more dangerous places etc... is all but gone. The world should be a dangerous place, but in Cyrodiil there's no need to fear because you will never encounter anything beyond your level.

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
If only that was all the levelling system affected. It's a good idea, but the heavy-handed application pretty much ruins some of the more fundamental aspects of the genre.

Shops are all but useless in the game because merchants never have equipment better than what your level dictates, and in fact what they have is usually several notches below what you find equipped on bandits and in dungeons. Saving up for that nice weapon or piece of armor you've got your eye on is a staple of the genre, but it's completely absent here, which in turn devalues money and the arts of thievery.

So the cycle of saving up for better equipment to help you survive more dangerous places which gets you more loot to buy even better equipment to survive even more dangerous places etc... is all but gone. The world should be a dangerous place, but in Cyrodiil there's no need to fear because you will never encounter anything beyond your level.
Perhaps I come from a different perspective on this; I'm a console-only gamer and have never played a PC RPG (or port of one) before.

With that said, I've never played an RPG before that gave you access to uber-weapons from the get-go. Either the weapons, armor and items got better gradually as to move from one town to the next and as areas become available, or the shops got new "shipments" of supplies in with stuff that corrosponded nicely to where you were at in the game and the enemies you were fighting. I take that back - the first Phantasy Star let you buy the diamond armor at the start. It took until half way through the game to afford it though, if you bought nothing else.

I think having that kind of access would not be good, especially since the game is so open-ended. I use a weapon on average for a few hours only, before finding something new. On occasion, I find (or create) something awesome that gets longer use.

I think being able to power-save for something that you could use to blow through a huge chunk of the game with both breaks the balance and the entertainment factor of the game. Oblivion is all about exploration. What's the point of that exploration if you can buy better stuff in the shops from day one? Looking for that next badass claymore is what keeps me exploring dungeon after dungeon, and I love it. I have yet to encounter any issue with the leveling.

It seems to me that when new enemies are introduced, they come in just above what you can reasonably handle. I used to, um dread the Dread Zombies because they could kill me in three hits. Ditto these new goblins I just ran into last night - extremely hard, killing me several times. I ran into Umbra at level 7 or so (OUCH); many of the dungeons have either bosses or boss-like climactic battles. (the King of....hmm, forgot the name of the place, but he and his four zombies made for one awesome boss battle)

What I'm sayhing is, I live in constant fear of the new enemies that come up, since they are consistantly dangerous. That's no different than any other RPG I've ever played.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Panajev2001a said:
Edit: thanks to you too Vark for answering.

The game is published by Take2 in all Europe, it is in Italy and the DLC passes through Bethesda and Microsoft. Also, while not taking part in the unification of the currency the U.K. are still part of the European Community... I really do not know who to complain to, it seems like a perfect infinite blame game scenario where it is no-one's fault.

I do not get why legal hang-ups did not affect the retail version of the game (compared to the U.K. release for example), but are only affecting the release of DLC in all the countries in which the game was localized and not just left with the original voices and text.

It does seem a bit strange... you can give me that I hope.

I wish I had known that before hand as well as that all text in all the game's books was going to be localized, but I will not hate on you or Steve because people were a bit misled (about what would and would not be localized which Bethesda never made it pretty clear...). You made a great game regardless. I would have just ordered the U.K. version instead of buying it in Italy.
Just to correct something you said. The lack of DLC's affect all areas in Europe outside the UK (and France/Spain was it? or was that for the PC version only..), even those who did not have the game localized in any way whatsoever. Take Sweden for example (or the whole of Scandinavia for that matter), we got the exact same version the UK got, english cover, voice, text, the works, distributed by MS/2K.

Yet we get gimped on the DLC's just because our passport/gamertags are linked with our country of origin, and cant be re-linked.

Personally, if I knew the marketplace would be country dependant and not region based I would've never mentioned to MS that I was living where I was.
The whole thing stinks. :(

GhaleonEB said:
Perhaps I come from a different perspective on this; I'm a console-only gamer and have never played a PC RPG (or port of one) before.

With that said, I've never played an RPG before that gave you access to uber-weapons from the get-go. Either the weapons, armor and items got better gradually as to move from one town to the next and as areas become available, or the shops got new "shipments" of supplies in with stuff that corrosponded nicely to where you were at in the game and the enemies you were fighting. I take that back - the first Phantasy Star let you buy the diamond armor at the start. It took until half way through the game to afford it though, if you bought nothing else.

I think having that kind of access would not be good, especially since the game is so open-ended. I use a weapon on average for a few hours only, before finding something new. On occasion, I find (or create) something awesome that gets longer use.

I think being able to power-save for something that you could use to blow through a huge chunk of the game with both breaks the balance and the entertainment factor of the game. Obvlivion is all about exploration. What's the point of that exploration if you can buy better stuff in the shops from day one? Looking for that next badass claymore is what keeps me exploring dungeon after dungeon, and I love it. I have yet to encounter any issue with the leveling.

Well, the point of exploration and dungeon delving would be to get treasure with which to go and buy those powerful items you've got your eye on. Of course you'd hope to find some nice items in the process, but that shouldn't be the exclusive means of obtaining them.

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
Well, the point of exploration and dungeon delving would be to get treasure with which to go and buy those powerful items you've got your eye on. Of course you'd hope to find some nice items in the process, but that shouldn't be the exclusive means of obtaining them.
Hmm. It's not, for me at least. I still buy some things at shops, especially to enchant with. But the tilt is far towards dungeons/enemies. I guess I don't mind it since that's one more reason to keep exploring. to each their own.

GhaleonEB said:
Hmm. It's not, for me at least. I still buy some things at shops, especially to enchant with. But the tilt is far towards dungeons/enemies. I guess I don't mind it since that's one more reason to keep exploring. to each their own.
I don't think I've bought any equipment from a shop. I always have better equipment than what they're trying to sell me. I always get it off of dead bandits or other NPC's. That kind of makes me mad. The only thing I buy from shops is refilling my enchantments, repairing weapons and spells

GhaleonEB

I'm at the end of The Night Watchman quest.
I'm at the very end, going after his treasure chest in the water. I'm swimming up to the marker on my map when I get the "Quest Completed" message - there's a treasure chest! Wooooo! Except I can't see it yet. It's REALLY murky water, even at noon on a bright day. And THE GAME TAKES THE MARKER AWAY before I can see the treasure chest. So I've spent 20 minutes swimming around the area where I THINK the treasure chest is, but I can't see it.
So I'm fucked, and don't get the booty on the quest. Thanks a lot! :(

TheWolf

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm at the end of The Night Watchman quest.
I'm at the very end, going after his treasure chest in the water. I'm swimming up to the marker on my map when I get the "Quest Completed" message - there's a treasure chest! Wooooo! Except I can't see it yet. It's REALLY murky water, even at noon on a bright day. And THE GAME TAKES THE MARKER AWAY before I can see the treasure chest. So I've spent 20 minutes swimming around the area where I THINK the treasure chest is, but I can't see it.
So I'm fucked, and don't get the booty on the quest. Thanks a lot! :(

options > video > crank up brightness

xabre

Banned
I was having somewhat of an undeclared competition with my mate about who could get the most gold. Thanks to Bethesda and their shitty bug squatting practices he's up to 19 million while I'm stuck on a lowly 40,000.

GhaleonEB

TheWolf said:
options > video > crank up brightness
It worked! Yay.

Thanks.

I killed Umbra. The wench didn't stand a chance in the face of 110pt shock and 120pt fire scrolls. Four of'em and down she goes. The sword was a MASSIVE let down, though. I swapped it at the shrine and got an even MORE massive let down. Seriously, I've been plotting her demise for 60 of the 90 hours I've played, and I'm really bummed. Worst. Reward. Ever.

Nutter

GhaleonEB said:
It worked! Yay.

Thanks.

I killed Umbra. The wench didn't stand a chance in the face of 110pt shock and 120pt fire scrolls. Four of'em and down she goes. The sword was a MASSIVE let down, though. I swapped it at the shrine and got an even MORE massive let down. Seriously, I've been plotting her demise for 60 of the 90 hours I've played, and I'm really bummed. Worst. Reward. Ever.
That is why i killed her within the first 10 hours.. it was hard but damn was it rewarding. (well at that stage atleast)

firex

GhaleonEB said:
It worked! Yay.

Thanks.

It's true, Umbra's sword is quite overrated (Don't anyone read this if they don't want an artifact name spoiled:
I prefer Goldbrand
) but I'm still going to use it on one character I'll make, purely for roleplay purposes. It does have decent utility, but I guess if you were going to use it exclusively to soul trap things, you'd probably hotkey a stronger weapon to switch out with it. Oh, and while the sword itself isn't all that powerful, it is cool looking.

GhaleonEB

firex said:
It's true, Umbra's sword is quite overrated (Don't anyone read this if they don't want an artifact name spoiled:
I prefer Goldbrand
) but I'm still going to use it on one character I'll make, purely for roleplay purposes. It does have decent utility, but I guess if you were going to use it exclusively to soul trap things, you'd probably hotkey a stronger weapon to switch out with it. Oh, and while the sword itself isn't all that powerful, it is cool looking.
Heh, I've been using that sword (your spoiler tagged one) for quite a while. It's NICE.

I'm on a quest where I have to
goad someone into killing me with a mace. I can kill him, and get him to kill me, but I can't figure out how to give him the mace. Anyone know?
Nevermind, I figured it out. :lol

SupaFlySoccerMom said:
I don't think I've bought any equipment from a shop. I always have better equipment than what they're trying to sell me. I always get it off of dead bandits or other NPC's. That kind of makes me mad. The only thing I buy from shops is refilling my enchantments, repairing weapons and spells

This is where I approach things a little differently. In most RPG's, beyond the first few levels, I never expect to buy things from the stores that are better than what I can find by defeating enemies. I use the shops to sell off my goods, and purchase things like new spells, healing potions, etc. This is the way I approach things in NEARLY EVERY RPG that I play, so Oblivion is no different, and perhaps that's why it doesn't bother me much that the shops don't have any high end gear. In fact, the only high end gear they do have, is what I've sold them. I just always expect that I'm going to either find better stuff on my own, or create my own stuff through enchantments.

Just different appraoches and expectations I suppose.

Nerevar

I think the most important thing to stress to people new to the game is:

make sure you have at least 1 damage-dealing magic ability you use (destruction or conjuration)
as you level, make sure you buy the best spells you can cast in those schools (I can't emphasize this point enough).

Seriously, from my experience those two schools are far and away the best skills in the game. If you can get up to expert level in either monsters won't ever really be a challenge, as you'll always have a daedroth (or stronger if you're a master) fighing by your side or you'll be too busy nuking the enemies to notice how much stronger their weapons and armor have gotten. I thought the game was scaling up WAY too fast until I bought my summon daedroth / clannfear / frost atronarch spells and started using them. Those spells pretty much made mountain lions and grizzly bears easy to dominate.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Nerevar said:
I think the most important thing to stress to people new to the game is:

make sure you have at least 1 damage-dealing magic ability you use (destruction or conjuration)
as you level, make sure you buy the best spells you can cast in those schools (I can't emphasize this point enough).

Seriously, from my experience those two schools are far and away the best skills in the game. If you can get up to expert level in either monsters won't ever really be a challenge, as you'll always have a daedroth (or stronger if you're a master) fighing by your side or you'll be too busy nuking the enemies to notice how much stronger their weapons and armor have gotten. I thought the game was scaling up WAY too fast until I bought my summon daedroth / clannfear / frost atronarch spells and started using them. Those spells pretty much made mountain lions and grizzly bears easy to dominate.
Yeah. I'm playing as a Conjurer/Marksman and only have real problems when there's 4+ enemies on the screen. Anything less is cake and tea at this point (level 24). Shadow Wraiths are mean mofos :D

PhatSaqs said:
Yeah. I'm playing as a Conjurer/Marksman and only have real problems when there's 4+ enemies on the screen. Anything less is cake and tea at this point (level 24). Shadow Wraiths are mean mofos :D

Yep, I tend to use the Wraiths as well. They kick many and all forms of ass. :) Although I do have people in the cities saying "Ooooo..you smell of death!" to me a lot now. :lol

On a different note, what is your least favorite creature to fight? For me, it's pretty much always been the Clannfears. Those lunging head butt attacks the rip off are nasty. And when you fight those damn Xivilli(sp) they always summon them.

Top Bottom