• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

raYne

Scalemail Ted said:
This thread got restickied? That doesnt happen often.
It was only de-stickied in the first place because of E3 (Evilore posted in the thread saying so). Hell, it'd probably have more posts right now if people were "distracted" by it. Curse you E3! *shakes fist*

PhatSaqs said:
Yeah. I'm playing as a Conjurer/Marksman and only have real problems when there's 4+ enemies on the screen. Anything less is cake and tea at this point (level 24). Shadow Wraiths are mean mofos
That's pretty much what my character is, but she leans towards the Archer route more. I have my other stats pretty high though, so if need be (or if I get bored) I can switch to Blade/melee and be just as effective.

Get an invisiblilty spell asap. I can usually take out 3 out of 4 baddies before I even get spotted by the fourth. Even after being spotted you can just turn invisible, find another vantage point or let the remaining target's alert status return to normal and take them out real quick. Sneak bonus ftw!

gsarjeant

Kung Fu Jedi said:
On a different note, what is your least favorite creature to fight? For me, it's pretty much always been the Clannfears. Those lunging head butt attacks the rip off are nasty. And when you fight those damn Xivilli(sp) they always summon them.

Clannfears were mine for a while, too (hi, Kvatch!), but now it's Lichs for me. Not Nether Lichs, just the plain old Lichs. The ones that love to absorb my spells and summon Skeleton Champions to beat on my wimpy Healer. They drive me nuts.

I fricking swear. This is the 3rd time i've been just STUCK in combat with some invicible mob somewhere. I ran around for like 30 minutes now this time and it still hasn't cleared up [the last few times after about 15 minutes it would just reset aggro or something]. WTF can i do to reset my combat state? This is ef'in retarted ... is only option to get stuck in jail by stealing something now?

gsarjeant said:
Clannfears were mine for a while, too (hi, Kvatch!), but now it's Lichs for me. Not Nether Lichs, just the plain old Lichs. The ones that love to absorb my spells and summon Skeleton Champions to beat on my wimpy Healer. They drive me nuts.

Lichs have never been a major problem for me. They can certainly be nasty, and tough, especially with other creatures around them, but I have good combat skills. (Master in Blade, and Destruction, Expert in Marksman)

For some reason, those damn Clannfears with their jumping/lunging head butt attack seem to give me fits! :lol

gvandale

Help me build a new character, please.

I'm rampaging through the game right now as an orc fighter. I just run in, bash the sh*t out of everyone, repair my armor, make potions, rinse / repeat.

That worked well in Morrowind. It's working PERFECTLY in this game.

I'm thinking I want to do some stealth work. My guy CAN, but he's not too awesome at it (even with the ultimate dark brotherhood gear).

What are some builds you guys use that have the following:

blade
sneak
marksmen
destruction

gsarjeant

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Lichs have never been a major problem for me. They can certainly be nasty, and tough, especially with other creatures around them, but I have good combat skills. (Master in Blade, and Destruction, Expert in Marksman)

For some reason, those damn Clannfears with their jumping/lunging head butt attack seem to give me fits! :lol

Ah, yeah, that would probably help me. I went for a pure caster, so I let my blade skill and my strength languish. Now when the Lichs throw that shield up, all I can do is pull my sword and sort of shove them around with it for a few seconds until the shield drops and I can go back to nuking them. :lol

I've found that the clannfears go down pretty quickly if I
hit them a with a combo 60 point frost damage / 20% weakness to frost spell that I made. It usually takes three shots, as I recall.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:

My character is fast enough now that I can dodge those lunges, thank god. For me, the least fun enemy to fight are the Storm Archronos (spelling)? They're big and slow, but they also have high magic resistance, deal massive amounts of melee damage and do so at a good long range. I find fighting them just tedious.

The MOST entertaining is spellcasters. Especially when I tag them with an arrow of Silence, followed by an arrow of Paralysis. Then I whip out a claymore and beat them up while they can't get to me with their dagger. :D

gsarjeant

gvandale said:

I'm rampaging through the game right now as an orc fighter. I just run in, bash the sh*t out of everyone, repair my armor, make potions, rinse / repeat.

I'm thinking I want to do some stealth work. My guy CAN, but he's not too awesome at it (even with the ultimate dark brotherhood gear).

blade
sneak
marksmen
destruction

Hm. You could take the default Healer build and swap out Alchemy, Mercantile and Speechcraft for Blade, Marksman and Sneak. I think that I've been able to do well with just the default build, but I'm very magic-heavy. Making that change would have allowed me to be a much better hybrid character. You would then have:

Alteration
Destruction
Illusion
Restoration
Blade
Marksmen
Sneak

I like the look of that. Maybe swap Illusion out for Conjuration, though Illusion is probably a better magic school for a stealth character.

GhaleonEB said:
My character is fast enough now that I can dodge those lunges, thank god. For me, the least fun enemy to fight are the Storm Archronos (spelling)? They're big and slow, but they also have high magic resistance, deal massive amounts of melee damage and do so at a good long range. I find fighting them just tedious.

The MOST entertaining is spellcasters. Especially when I tag them with an arrow of Silence, followed by an arrow of Paralysis. Then I whip out a claymore and beat them up while they can't get to me with their dagger. :D

The Strom Atronachs are fairly slow though, so I usually conjur a Wraith and then nuke them. Moving around behind them as well. My Wraith does a ton of damage to them, and they usually go after the Wraith first. I've found the Clannfears, especailly the conjured ones, like to bolt past my Wraiths and make a b-line directly for me! :lol

The best part about kililng the Storm Atronachs though is watching them explode and having their rocks fly everywhere!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kung Fu Jedi said:
The best part about kililng the Storm Atronachs though is watching them explode and having their rocks fly everywhere!

One of the most memorable Havok physics moments for me was killing a storm atronarch on a hill, and watching all the rocks roll down the hill independently into a big pile at the bottom. It was awesome :lol

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The Strom Atronachs are fairly slow though, so I usually conjur a Wraith and then nuke them. Moving around behind them as well. My Wraith does a ton of damage to them, and they usually go after the Wraith first. I've found the Clannfears, especailly the conjured ones, like to bolt past my Wraiths and make a b-line directly for me! :lol

Yeah, I usually start casting fireballs at them when they are on their way out. Havok physics FTW!

Speaking of which - I took someone's advice from earlier in the thread and began wreaking havok (haha) for fun with fireballs. I toss a Weak Fireball (blast radius of 5') at book shelves whenever possible. The Mage's Guilds are usually packed with them, in rooms with no one around. I had a pile of 200-300 books in one corner. Nailing that with a big fireball was spectacular.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
On a different note, what is your least favorite creature to fight? For me, it's pretty much always been the Clannfears. Those lunging head butt attacks the rip off are nasty. And when you fight those damn Xivilli(sp) they always summon them.
Has to be between Clannfears and damn Zombies. Seems like some of them have 999999 HP or something. Not that they're hard to fight. Just takes me forever to kill those fuckers :lol.

GhaleonEB

PhatSaqs said:
Has to be between Clannfears and damn Zombies. Seems like some of them have 999999 HP or something. Not that they're hard to fight. Just takes me forever to kill those fuckers :lol.
The Dread Zombie continually regenerates its health. When I first met them, I could deal melee damage EXACTLY as fast as they could regenerate. :(

Luck for me I discovered they have a weakness to fire. I have a flame-enchanted sword just for zombies now, cuts them down pretty good.

PhatSaqs

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
The Dread Zombie continually regenerates its health. When I first met them, I could deal melee damage EXACTLY as fast as they could regenerate. :(

Luck for me I discovered they have a weakness to fire. I have a flame-enchanted sword just for zombies now, cuts them down pretty good.
Ah ha. I had no idea. I figured they had a weakness to fire it's just not something i've been concentrating on at all thus far. Looks like i'll be in the market for a fire enchanted bow :D

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Some buggy Oblivion fun here. I was finally doing the Battle for Kvatch quest at level 22 after much ado. After the fierce battle just outside the chapel I was running around when suddenly I heard a huge bang (think the sound of a body falling on the ground times 100) and went to investigate.

Turns out it was one of the Imperial Guards, that had somehow had gone a little haywire post mortem.
The little video I recorded of the event was done on my cellphone so the image quality is of fantastic quality:lol , but anyway it was all I had to work with.

Basicly the corpse got very elastic on the ground and started to live a life of its own (constant ear piercing body-falling-on-ground sound), you see me first moving around the chainmail (which later turned into a sail and blew in the wind:lol ), shooting fireballs at the head, which is the long orange limb. The bit I pick up afterwards is the torso.

You then see me a while later turning around after hearing a insanely loud crack, the blue corpse that goes flying there is a Strom Atronach that appeared to be sucked into the ever expanding guard corpse, I ran back just in time and saw the end of it.:lol

The vid is a 4.29mb wmv file.

wmv

I'll have to take your word for it, as the video quality is beyond bad! ;) Mostly I see something stretchy, like someone got taffy all over Kavatch or something. :lol

firex

gvandale said:

blade
sneak
marksmen
destruction
here's my assassin template, though he doesn't use destruction:
Argonian Male

Alchemy
Athletics
Acrobatics
Illusion
Marksman
Blade
Light Armor

Stealth specialization, agility/endurance for preferred attributes
Sneak is really easy to raise up on the PC version, so I just kept it as a minor skill and raised it to 100. I don't even have invisibility or chameleon spells and I can sneak past nearly anything. Sneak + Marksman works damn well if you get a lot of agi and a good bow. I don't even have mine enchanted (glass bow) and it deals equal damage to a sneak attack with my best weapon (glass longsword I think, though I am going to get one of the daedric artifact weapons as soon as I get my armorer up to 50).

The only bad part is I honestly kill things so quickly that there's really no need for repairing much, so armorer has kinda lagged behind and I'd really like to get it to 50 so I could start making enchanted weapons/armor.

firex said:
The only bad part is I honestly kill things so quickly that there's really no need for repairing much, so armorer has kinda lagged behind and I'd really like to get it to 50 so I could start making enchanted weapons/armor.

Does your armorer skill actually effect your ability to make enchanted weapons/armor? I've always used the enchanting alters in the Mage Guild and have had no issues with making weapons or armor.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Does your armorer skill actually effect your ability to make enchanted weapons/armor? I've always used the enchanting alters in the Mage Guild and have had no issues with making weapons or armor.
It only affects your ability to repair them yourself, not make them.

gsarjeant

Kung Fu Jedi said:

You can make them, but it can get pretty expensive to have them repaired. It became a lot more cost-effective for me to use enchanted armor once I got Armorer to 50 and could repair it myself.

(EDIT: Quicker than I, GhaleonEB.)

gsarjeant said:
You can make them, but it can get pretty expensive to have them repaired. It became a lot more cost-effective for me to use enchanted armor once I got Armorer to 50 and could repair it myself.

(EDIT: Quicker than I, GhaleonEB.)
I always find it cheaper to take it to be repaired mainly because my repair axe's suck and it takes about 10 of them to repair one piece of armor. Is this only in lower armorer levels? because so far the repair axe's have been pretty useless for me

Oh, yeah, I knew you had to be rank 50 or better to repair magical items, just thought that the implication was that you couldn't create them before then, or that it had some other impact on the creation of magic armor or weapons.

gsarjeant

SupaFlySoccerMom said:
I always find it cheaper to take it to be repaired mainly because my repair axe's suck and it takes about 10 of them to repair one piece of armor. Is this only in lower armorer levels? because so far the repair axe's have been pretty useless for me

Yes. After you get to 25 armorer, your hammers last twice as long. I'm pretty sure that the duration continues to increase as you level up, too. I can repair an entire set of armor now with one or two hammers.

It is tough to level it at first, because of what you said. It's cheaper to have someone fix your armor than to buy the hammers until your armor starts to improve (which increases the cost to repair) and the hammers start lasting longer(which decreases the cost of using hammers). I ended up paying for 10-15 levels of armorer training to speed the process up.

SupaFlySoccerMom said:

As your ranks increase, your repair hammers will last longer as well. Eventually to the point where they won't wear out at all.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
As your ranks increase, your repair hammers will last longer as well. Eventually to the point where they won't wear out at all.
Yup. It took a while, but I'm at level 55 armoror and I can use one about 6-7 times before it breaks. Even early on it's more cost effective to buy a ton of repair hammers and use them than to pay somone else to repair them.

I might've ran into a glitch within the Thieves Guild quest.

During the Boots of Springheel Jak mission, I killed his servant, and after completing the mission and handing the boots over, I paid the blood price and tried to get the next mission to no avail.

The
Gray Fox
just sits there telling me he's not ready, and I don't know of a way to continue. I've fenced over 2000 in stolen goods, and have waited in nearly every city to be contacted again.

I'm fuckin befuddled. Thankfully, this is my second time through the game, so it's not too big of a deal.

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. It took a while, but I'm at level 55 armoror and I can use one about 6-7 times before it breaks. Even early on it's more cost effective to buy a ton of repair hammers and use them than to pay somone else to repair them.
hmm, thanks guys. btw, where can i get lock picks? besides the guy from the thieves guild. i've been looking for them and can't find any :(

SupaFlySoccerMom said:
hmm, thanks guys. btw, where can i get lock picks? besides the guy from the thieves guild. i've been looking for them and can't find any :(

Only place to get them are from the Thieves Guild fences. 5 GB each. I'd buy them 100 at a time until
I found the Skeleton Key

GhaleonEB

SupaFlySoccerMom said:
I'm not in the guild yet, so I get all of mine from bandits and treasure chests. usually have 20 or so on hand.

KFJ: The what?

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Unbreakable lockpick.
Allow me to make a follow-up: Is this something you get through the theive's guild, or something I could, say, go and get right now? Christmas is a ways off but I'd pretty much skip it for one of those right now.

raYne

Yeah, you can get it whenever you want.

I think there's a level requirement, but I'm sure you've passed it already (maybe 10 or so). You get it from the
Shrine of Nocturnal
Quest. I think the shrine is right outside of
Lleyawin on the east road.

Gives you +40 security as well, making lockpicking that much easier.

gsarjeant

Alternately, you could level Alteration to 75 and make an "Open Very Hard Lock" spell, but the
Skeleton Key
route is likely much quicker.

raYne

gsarjeant said:
Alternately, you could level Alteration to 75 and make an "Open Very Hard Lock" spell, but the
Skeleton Key
route is likely much quicker.
Since I never bothered to make a lock spell (S. Key ftw!) don't you need access to the Arcane University to make the hard lock spell?

In which case, you'd not only have to level your Alteration all the way to 75 (apparently) but go through the whole Mages Guild questline as well? In which case.. yeah.. the S. Key method is easier.

gsarjeant

raYne said:
Since I never bothered to make a lock spell (S. Key ftw!) don't you need access to the Arcane University to make the hard lock spell?

In which case, you'd not only have to level your Alteration all the way to 75 (apparently) but go through the whole Mages Guild questline as well? In which case.. yeah.. the S. Key method is easier.

You can get up to Hard from vendors. For very hard, yes, you need access to the Arcane University. But that doesn't require the entire Mages Guild questline, just the initial gathering of recommendations. Granted, that's still a lot more effort than the
Skeleton Key quest
. I suppose you could avoid that by buying the Wizard's Tower, but I'm not about to suggest that someone spend real money to open virtual doors. :)

I went through the Mages Guild a while ago, so now I sometimes assume that Arcane University access is a given. But I agree that even with it, the
Skeleton Key
route is easier. I was just offering an alternative on the chance that someone might be interested in that option.

bengraven

Anyone having any time-related issues in the game because of the Wait command? During many of the quests where I have to wait one day for something (Thieves Guild:
the forger for the Lex reassignment mission
, Mages Guild:
Count Skingrad coming down to meet me in one day
), it's never one day. It ends up being many days. I continuously hit "Wait", "24 hours", and then wait for the 24 to count down, but when I'm done, the characters don't acknowledge time going by. In fact, sometimes I can't get the quest to go on unless I physically sit there for the entire 24 hours OR MORE.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
bengraven said:
Anyone having any time-related issues in the game because of the Wait command? During many of the quests where I have to wait one day for something (Thieves Guild:
the forger for the Lex reassignment mission
, Mages Guild:
Count Skingrad coming down to meet me in one day
), it's never one day. It ends up being many days. I continuously hit "Wait", "24 hours", and then wait for the 24 to count down, but when I'm done, the characters don't acknowledge time going by. In fact, sometimes I can't get the quest to go on unless I physically sit there for the entire 24 hours OR MORE.

the timeline gets screwed up by waiting. I had to sneak in somewhere for a thieves guild mission to steal something at night while a character slept, so I tried "waiting" until like 1 AM, at which point I noticed the character walking in. When I just sat there for a couple game hours though, she went to bed at the normal time. So yeah, wait is definitely screwed up with NPCs.

firex

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Like other people said, it only affects repairing them. But considering it's expensive to pay for repairs, I'd rather be able to do it myself.

raYne

firex said:
Like other people said, it only affects repairing them. But considering it's expensive to pay for repairs, I'd rather be able to do it myself.
You should also note that once you reach master amorer status, you can make your armor/weapons better than they are. 125% effectiveness in either offense or defense (depending on the item of course).

Just got the new EGM and they have the scoop on the next three DLC add-ons.

The first was mentioned earlier by 1up: Dunbarrow Haven, the thieves cave. Cool Feature, it says, is Your own personal gang of thieves.

The second is Dragonfire Castle. Cool feature is a taxidermist who makes stuffed trophies for you.

The third is Deepscorn Hollow. Cool feature is A venomous garden that grows only items with negative effects (poisons galore).

Oh, and the rumor mill says a full-fledged expansion is coming in the Fall. :)

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
GhaleonEB: The Collectors Quest is epic. To trigger it
You need to sell of one of those Alyied statues you find in their ruins. I got my first one in the first dungeon I saw after exiting the prison way back at the beginning of the game. Sold if off for like 200 gold, and shortly there after I was visited by a messenger who invited me to meet with his boss back in the Imperial City. From there, the quest begins. Go talk to him, and he'll get things started for you. It's a fairly long quest line, lots of dungeons to explore, and an Indiana Jones vibe to it, especially near the end.
Wooooo I just found and sold the first one. Got the contact made, just need to go back to Imperial City and kick it off. :D

The three artifacts I had were the stones from the Oblivion gates.

I just cleaned out
The Mythic Dawn sactuary. I started to do it nicely, going in and talking to everyone, playing make-pretend. Then I decided, fuck it, I just got this awesome new flamesword and a bunch of full grand soul gems. Why not use them? I started that place over and when in swinging.
There had to have been a good 40 guys in there to fight, and my sword took them out like they were made of butter. Of course, having a Blade skill of 100 helps. :)

Every night I sit down with a plan in mind, and I NEVER follow that plan. I'm just drifting from place to place, doing some random dungeons in between and quests as they come up in those areas. Nearly 100 hours in, still having a ball.

What a great fucking game.

firex

raYne said:
You should also note that once you reach master amorer status, you can make your armor/weapons better than they are. 125% effectiveness in either offense or defense (depending on the item of course).
Yeah, I did that on my level 40 guy, and it's very nice. But that's actually at expert! Master has a really awesome perk itself: you never break repair hammers, so you only need one.

GhaleonEB said:
Every night I sit down with a plan in mind, and I NEVER follow that plan. I'm just drifting from place to place, doing some random dungeons in between and quests as they come up in those areas. Nearly 100 hours in, still having a ball.

What a great fucking game.

I'm often the same way, but I'm forcing myself to focus on the main quest now and get it out of the way. I want to finish it, then take my time exploring and finishing off of other things. I'm currently inside The Great Gate, so I'm making progress, but I've had less time to play lately, so hopefully the weekend will get me back on track.

I agree. Great fucking game!

LakeEarth

raYne said:
That alone makes building up armorer completely worth it. Its so awesome having my sword have 8 more strength just by being good at fixing it.

raYne

Vyse The Legend said:
Just got the new EGM and they have the scoop on the next three DLC add-ons.

The first was mentioned earlier by 1up: Dunbarrow Haven, the thieves cave. Cool Feature, it says, is Your own personal gang of thieves.

The second is Dragonfire Castle. Cool feature is a taxidermist who makes stuffed trophies for you.

The third is Deepscorn Hollow. Cool feature is A venomous garden that grows only items with negative effects (poisons galore).

Oh, and the rumor mill says a full-fledged expansion is coming in the Fall. :)
:O

As I said before, the Dunbarrow Haven (pirates baby!) is a definite purchase. Dragonfire Castle sounds cool as well, so I'm definitely interested in that! It'd be hilarious if npcs reacted to the trophies... Like I could break into someone's home and place a mountain lion in the middle of their bed. Hilarity ensues!
I know it won't happen, but it's cool nontheless

Gonna pass on Deepscorn though...

*dreams about possible expansion* Mmmmm...

Top Bottom