• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

tsp_gatmog said:
when walking into a new area, shit stutters like a mad man. sometimes pauses for 2 seconds.

btw, it's on a non hdtv, which might have something to do with it.
jump animations are laughable.
looks great in some areas, but pitiful in others. lighting is top notch.
I'm sorry, but when you are ragging on the graphics and use load stutters and jump animations as your reasoning...well, that's pretty tame criticism. I think the visuals are indeed rough around the edges (I don't refute either of those points) but a poor visual experience they do not make. The game is overwhelminly detailed and yet the scale is massive. I end each of my gaming sessions floored by the juxtaposition of the detail and the scope. It's just staggering overall.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The animations for the player character are absolutely horrible, you can't deny that. But you also can't deny that the game was clearly meant for first person.

GhaleonEB

Archaix said:
The animations for the player character are absolutely horrible, you can't deny that. But you also can't deny that the game was clearly meant for first person.
I agree on both points. It really makes me wonder if adding 3rd person came late in the development - you just float over the environment and move in a totally artificial way. But I also find this kind of game easier and more natural at 1st person. If there was no 1st person option then it would be a disaster.

Archaix said:

granted, it could look A LOT better in fpv if the animations were better.

but whatever, im just saying that all the hype i've been hearing about the games visuals didn't match up with what I saw my friend playing/

I do agree that the animations in the third person view leave a lot to be desired, but I NEVER play in 3rd person. I've done it once or twice way back when I bought the game, but haven't touched it since.

I finished up the main quest, and thought it ended very well.
I was shouting holy shit when I saw Dagon wandering around the city. The fight with him in the Dragon was awesome!
The ending was very satisfying, and I think it had some foreshadowing at things to come in the expansions or Elder Scrolls V.

Of course, it wasn't really the ending. It was just the closing of the main quest. Now I can move on to other ventures, like the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. So many things yet to explore and quests yet to complete. I'm not done with the game yet. Not be a long shot! At least I shouldn't have to face those damn Clannfears any more! :)

GhaleonEB

New weapons:

Healthy Death - 20pt health regeneration, 30pts health boost on strike (24pt claymore)
Flamemare - 20pts fire damage on strike (29pt claymore)

The names are step up from my first weapon (Freeze-Mace). :lol

I gotta say - closing Oblivion gates is a lot more enjoyable now that I know there's a stone I can use to enchant weapons/stuff with at the end. :lol

I was going to gripe that the other Oblivion Gates are just floating out there, not tied into the story at all when I went to Layowiin (sp?) to
ask for their help defending Bruma. I'm like, hey guys, there's TWO gates in front of your city! No one seemed to notice. Then I talked to the mayor or whatever. They noticed.
:lol

Random act of violence: I smashed a random town person from behind to test out a new sword. I was fully expecting to get busted, and saved ahead of time, but everyone was looking the other way; it was the middle of the day in town! :lol The kicker is she had castle keys - interior and exterior -on her. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them.

I went on the most spectacular rampage, just for fun. I started just trespassing on the guard barracks. When I resisted arrest, I heard AT LEAST 8 swords get drawn in there. Oh, shit, time to run! So I'm sprinting around town, mauling random town folk. I decide to head for the castle.

I get there and carnage erupts instantly. Guards everywhere come charging, the guests and workers start running for the hills screaming. I summon a clannifer to help and we dive in, with my best claymore. I take out a few guards, then run up to the balcony above the throne. I swat a guard so hard he flies - on fire - off the side in a glorious arc. :lol :lol

Then, luck strikes. A stray arrow nails an orc mauler who was wandering by. Now it's three on, oh, about a dozen but he's a total badass, so it's actually more even than that.

It all winds down. My orc companion has fallen, but so has at least 15 guards and scores of random bystanders. I use my keys to explore the castle (a disappointing lack of booty) and come out upstairs. I look down on the scene of the battle and find the most glorious, carnage-strewn battlefield I've ever seen in a game. One of the maids landed on a table, face down, knocking everything on it off. There's a guard draped over the side railing of the stairs. That dude I swatted of the balcony? He landed in the chandelier. Bodies everywhere, arrows stuck in walls, all the clutter from tables blasted around from my fireballs.

I reloaded, since my bounty was, um, high.

Sorry if this is old-school to everyone, but it was my first bout of really going crazy with the rules.

So. Awesome.

snaildog

ElyrionX said:
Well, it sounds good except for the fact that I'm only level 6 and have like 100 gold left after spending on the Imperial City house and buying the storage furniture for it. And I have never held more than 2500 gold at any point in time.

What's the fastest way to gain gold legitimately in the game? Don't suggest alchemy because that is one of my major skills and I sort of screwed myself over when I chose Alteration, Destruction and Restoration (all Willpower-related) for my major skills. This means that when levelling up, I have to spend all ten major skill levels on any of the three aforementioned skills in order to obtain a +5 for my Willpower when leveling. So for now, I've held off levelling alchemy until I have maxed out my Willpower.

There's a free house of sorts:
Do the Leyawin quest to become a knight (go to the castle); you get a neat little shack that you share with a female Orc. I use it for all my storage, because unlike other houses you can auto-travel there since it's not in a city.

bengraven

ElyrionX said:
What's the fastest way to gain gold legitimately in the game? Don't suggest alchemy because that is one of my major skills and I sort of screwed myself over when I chose Alteration, Destruction and Restoration (all Willpower-related) for my major skills. This means that when levelling up, I have to spend all ten major skill levels on any of the three aforementioned skills in order to obtain a +5 for my Willpower when leveling. So for now, I've held off levelling alchemy until I have maxed out my Willpower.

Honestly, I didn't worry about gold until I started leveling up. For the first 10 levels, gold is scarce, but soon you'll start finding enchanted weapons EVERYWHERE. At level 33, which I'm at, everyone has either glass or daedric weapons, or enchanted ones.

If you don't want to wait, thieve. Steal everything. Break into big, nice houses. For starters, take silver items, they add up. If you don't have much security skill, try casting Unlock spells. The Imperial City has two nice areas, Talos Plaza and the Temple District, which have a LOT of rich people's houses. Also, try the Guilds, especially the ones you're not in currently (so you can't get kicked out if you get caught).

Warning! Sometimes, you'll find Nirnroots, Varla Stones, and Welkynd stones. Um. Don't sell those; as tempting as it is. EspeciallyESPECIALLY the Nirnroots.

GhaleonEB said:
I was going to gripe that the other Oblivion Gates are just floating out there, not tied into the story at all when I went to Layowiin (sp?) to
ask for their help defending Bruma. I'm like, hey guys, there's TWO gates in front of your city! No one seemed to notice. Then I talked to the mayor or whatever. They noticed.
:lol

This was one of my problems with that quest.
Gates are open everywhere...why is Bruma so important? Yes, it could be argued that it's near Cloud Ruler Temple and Martin, but no one every actually says that. For someone paying less attention, it looks like we're almost bullying people into going to Bruma, even while their cities are wide open for destruction. I know a big battle happens there, but maybe it says somewhere in a text or such that I missed?

GhaleonEB said:
Random act of violence...

Reminds me of the being in Leyawiin during a DB mission where I had to sneak into the barracks. I tried to off someone there, but there was always 9-10 guys there. I once just fired an arrow from the stairs, but couldn't get to the bottom of the stairs before being completely eliminated. It's good I reloaded as that Redguard woman and Orc male that wander around hunting were there and stood up for me (I think they're Fighter's Guild) and ended up getting killed. I LIKED finding those two wandering around.

Quick question guys...

Would a GeForce 6200 card run this game well? If not, what kind of card could I get that would run the game nice at a good price ($80-150)?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
bengraven said:
This was one of my problems with that quest.
Gates are open everywhere...why is Bruma so important? Yes, it could be argued that it's near Cloud Ruler Temple and Martin, but no one every actually says that. For someone paying less attention, it looks like we're almost bullying people into going to Bruma, even while their cities are wide open for destruction. I know a big battle happens there, but maybe it says somewhere in a text or such that I missed?

The journal from the spies quest mentions that all of the other gates are just distractions, that the only one which matters is the one at Bruma.

PhoenixDark said:
Quick question guys...

Would a GeForce 6200 card run this game well? If not, what kind of card could I get that would run the game nice at a good price ($80-150)?

I'm playing on the 360, so it's hard for me to say for sure, but I think it depends on your definition of "well". I think that card will run the game, but you'll probably have to turn details down quite a bit to make it run at a decent framerate. Perhaps someone can offer you a better indication of how it actually runs on that card though.

Not sure what to recommend for an upgrade in that price range. Maybe an ATI 850? That would be the high end of your price range.

ElyrionX

bengraven said:
Honestly, I didn't worry about gold until I started leveling up. For the first 10 levels, gold is scarce, but soon you'll start finding enchanted weapons EVERYWHERE. At level 33, which I'm at, everyone has either glass or daedric weapons, or enchanted ones.

If you don't want to wait, thieve. Steal everything. Break into big, nice houses. For starters, take silver items, they add up. If you don't have much security skill, try casting Unlock spells. The Imperial City has two nice areas, Talos Plaza and the Temple District, which have a LOT of rich people's houses. Also, try the Guilds, especially the ones you're not in currently (so you can't get kicked out if you get caught).

Warning! Sometimes, you'll find Nirnroots, Varla Stones, and Welkynd stones. Um. Don't sell those; as tempting as it is. EspeciallyESPECIALLY the Nirnroots.

Nope, I don't wish to steal. I'm roleplaying my character and he's supposed to be this kickass noble high mage, not some thief.

Anyway, I've got the Nirnroot quest already but what are the stones used for? I've got a couple of Welkynd stones as well. No idea what they're for.

gsarjeant

ElyrionX said:
Nope, I don't wish to steal. I'm roleplaying my character and he's supposed to be this kickass noble high mage, not some thief.

Anyway, I've got the Nirnroot quest already but what are the stones used for? I've got a couple of Welkynd stones as well. No idea what they're for.

Welkynd stones regenerate your Magicka. Varla stones recharge enchanted items.

ElyrionX said:

Don't worry, you'll get plenty of gold soon enough. I'm level 37, bought the manor house in Skingrad, have it fully decked out, and still have 240k+ in gold. That's without having my mercantile high enough to invest in anyone yet. :D

GhaleonEB

gsarjeant said:
Welkynd stones regenerate your Magicka. Varla stones recharge enchanted items.
What makes Varla stones so great is they recharge ALL enchanted items in your inventory. I usually recharge 4-5 items at once with them.

GhaleonEB said:
What makes Varla stones so great is they recharge ALL enchanted items in your inventory. I usually recharge 4-5 items at once with them.

Yeah, very useful. I always have one of them with me at all times, on top of all the soul gems I carry around. I also have 25+ Varla stones in a chest in my house, so I can easily re-stock when I need one.

raYne

BenjaminBirdie said:
HAY, Theives Den is available on Marketplace! There's a Pirate Ship in the pictcha!
:O!

*downloads*

150 points for those who care.

edit: I'm done already! ...and half that time was setting up the 360. The servers are blazing!

gsarjeant

GhaleonEB said:

Ah, that's really nice. I didn't realize that. Curse my horrible weapon skills!

GhaleonEB

gsarjeant said:
Ah, that's really nice. I didn't realize that. Curse my horrible weapon skills!
Don't feel bad, I'd closed 3 Oblivion gates before I learned (from this board) what you use the stones for. :(

Features:

-A fully detailed enviroment for your character to own and explore

-Free sleeping space: never pay for an inn again!

-Five upgrades for your lair

-Hire vendors designed especially for thieves, rogues, and assassins

-As you upgrade your lair new pirates will join your crew and provide you with income

-Over 45 new items

-15 new spells

Sounds pretty nice!

Is there a quest to go with it?

Didn't know there were going to be new items and spells included. Although considering how easy it is to create new items, I guess it should be a surprise.

Confidence Man said:
Features:

-As you upgrade your lair new pirates will join your crew and provide you with income

-Over 45 new items

-15 new spells

Sounds pretty nice!

Holy shit, all of that is in there??

I guess I'll have to wait until I get done with all the Good Guy stuff with my Nord to enjoy this one.

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
Features:

-Over 45 new items

-15 new spells

Sounds pretty nice!

I thought I read you had to clear the place out first. It's not in the description, though.

http://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductView.aspx?ProductId=5

TES4-Thievesden01.jpg

TES4-Thievesden03.jpg

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
I thought I read you had to clear the place out first. It's not in the description, though.
Yeah, you do. I just finished clearing it out. You have to kill all the ghost pirate's (or pirate ghosts!) skeletons inhabiting the cave, eventually making your way to the captain's quarters on the ship.

After that's done you have to go meet someone to help you get things back into shape.

The funny thing is that I already found it's location while playing normally, but you couldn't acess the ship cave itself yet.

edit:
After you find the person you need, she gives you the options for a bunch of stuff.

-Hire a fence (1000)
-Fletcher (1000)
-Upgrade your quarters (500)
-Hire a security expert (1000)
-Hire a spymaster (1000)
-Hire a supplier (1000)

After you're finished upgrading you can send your new crew on missions and they'll give you your share of the plunder on a weekly basis.

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
While that sounds cool, one of the things I'm not in need of is more gold. :lol
Yeah, I still have over 300,000 after all of this and buying (and fully upgrading) the Skingrad House, Anvil Mansion etc.

In any case, out of your new crew of seven or so, only three can be sent plundering.. and they always go together. The others are trainers/barterers. Sneak, Security, Speechcraft, Marksmanship etc They'd be pretty handy if my skill levels weren't already over theirs... :lol

As stated in the description, you do get acess to a lot of higher level spells with them, but overall it seems like something that should've been released earlier in the game's life cycle.

raYne

Vark said:
Hey its out finally, yay!
What the?! No time for posting.. get back to work!
Good job! ;)

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't know. I'm nowhere near having the money or magica to fully utilize all that stuff.
Well I'm obviously talking about me personally. The game's been out a while though, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people feel the same. Probably not the majority, but a lot nonetheless...

gsarjeant

siamesedreamer said:
I started the game this weekend. Should I download both add-on patches before I play any further?

I wouldn't. Play it for a while and see if you like it. There's more than enough in the base game to keep you occupied for months; the add-ons aren't critical to the game.

If you get to a point where you feel like you're running out of things to do, or would like to throw a little more support Bethesda's way, or would just like to see how the add-ons function, then go ahead and try them out.

Vark

Yea, just play and find a character you like. The Add-ons are pretty class specific so if you're like, total thiefy Stabbity McKillem from behind then you can add more thiefy goodness.

You won't run shy of things to do with the base content as is.

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:
I started the game this weekend. Should I download both add-on patches before I play any further?
I'm 105 hours into the game and have done about 1/3 of the content. So I still don't feel the rush to buy the new stuff; they're mostly locations to hang out in, when what I would be interested in buying is quests, personally.

coldvein

Banned
Sorry if this has already been answered in the thread but I'm afraid of going through it thoroughly in fear of spoilage:

I've got a thief-ish character, if I download this Thieves Den thing, is it just magically inserted into my game world? Does it only work from a fresh new game, or can it be inserted in a game that's been going for 40 hours? Will it interfere with any other quests I'm working on, etc etc?

raYne

coldvein said:
Sorry if this has already been answered in the thread but I'm afraid of going through it thoroughly in fear of spoilage:

I've got a thief-ish character, if I download this Thieves Den thing, is it just magically inserted into my game world? Does it only work from a fresh new game, or can it be inserted in a game that's been going for 40 hours? Will it interfere with any other quests I'm working on, etc etc?
It's additional content. As with all downloads it gets automatically inserted into your current game and any future new game you'll start.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yay, the first worthwhile Oblivion download thing is perfect for my Stabbity McKillem character.

Edit: Oh, third. I thought that the only other thing that they made was the horse armor thing for some reason.

God has smiled upon me, this day.

I'm 105 hours into the game and have done about 1/3 of the content. So I still don't feel the rush to buy the new stuff; they're mostly locations to hang out in, when what I would be interested in buying is quests, personally.

I've wondered about that. Like, if they added more quests they'd probably have to rehire some of the generic race voice actors, which made me wonder how probable it is that new quests are eventually going to be up for grabs.

Eh, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard though.

GhaleonEB

Lost Fragment said:
Yay, the first worthwhile Oblivion download thing is perfect for my Stabbity McKillem character.

God has smiled upon me, this day.

I've wondered about that. Like, if they added more quests they'd probably have to rehire some of the generic race voice actors, which made me wonder how probable it is that new quests are eventually going to be up for grabs.

I suspect we'll have to wait until the expansion for that. My #1 reason for wanting an expansion: "You cannot go that way. Turn back." Especially when you can see for a ways...

raYne

Lost Fragment said:

Well you don't exactly need new voice audio at all if they were to create new quests. Everything could either be given to you or the quest could be advanced by scroll. Meaning all text anyway.

If they felt the need to, they could just reuse some of "thank you" voice statements that already exist to end the quest upon competion. That wouldn't be too bad since the npcs share voices anyway.

Still, I agree with Ghaleon. Actual quests should be saved for the expansion.

Sirolf

Merci quand même !! ^^
Sais tu simplement si on n'aura jamais rien ou si c'est reporté à une date ultérieure ?
Encore merci :)

[/FRENCH OFF]

Top Bottom