• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GreekWolf

Ok, for those of you playing Shivering Isles, and wondering how in the heck to get to that secret hallway in Xeddefen (the Grummite dungeon in the Fringe), one of the devs gave a hint -

Lots of things change in the Shivering Isles. Keep exploring the world, and you'll probably have your answer later.
Apparently, the entire continent is like a constantly shuffling puzzle box. Your actions in one area of the realm can have repercussions in the others, like a chain reaction. I know this to be true, as I've compared my in-game map of Xeddefen with someone else who is currently in the same dungeon, and our maps are almost completely different.

Interesting.

Oh boy.
Last night I dl Shivering Isles before Live goes down. Finally get home today, ready to give the new material a run. I load up my last save (from just 2 days ago) and the 360 tells me that some download content is missing so items in the game might be missing. Okay...
I start it up anyway, and my guy is nekkid. Most of his armor, weapons, spells, etc. are gone. This is a character I have put 140+ hours into, so imagine my reaction. I check all the saves, turn the 360 off and back on, and I still have the same message.

So, fellow 360 Oblivion people, I need help before I panic. Any chance this is somehow linked to Live being down? Worst case scenario, can I just dl all the content again (UGH) from marketplace so my stuff will show up?

I was so ready for an afternoon of new content. I am not a happy camper.

CousinLump said:
Oh boy.
Last night I dl Shivering Isles before Live goes down. Finally get home today, ready to give the new material a run. I load up my last save (from just 2 days ago) and the 360 tells me that some download content is missing so items in the game might be missing. Okay...
I start it up anyway, and my guy is nekkid. Most of his armor, weapons, spells, etc. are gone. This is a character I have put 140+ hours into, so imagine my reaction. I check all the saves, turn the 360 off and back on, and I still have the same message.

So, fellow 360 Oblivion people, I need help before I panic. Any chance this is somehow linked to Live being down? Worst case scenario, can I just dl all the content again (UGH) from marketplace so my stuff will show up?

I was so ready for an afternoon of new content. I am not a happy camper.

You're required to be connected to Live to play the expansion.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776209p1.html

This is such bullshit. I'm glad I traded in the 360 version.

FrankT

Sp3eD said:
That is a complete lie. I have been playing all morning without being connected to live in any way.

Indeed, shens on this shiz, been playing all day. As long as you are logged into the console (not XBL) with the profile you used to download the content it will work.

Wario64 said:
IGN reporting false news stories? This is noooz

True enough, but how is my current situation explained? Maybe you need to have a Shivering Isles save on the system before you can play w/o being connected? I did the dl last night, but did not play. My 360 claims I do not have any Oblivion dl content.

GreekWolf

Just to be clear - your gamer tag is a validation system that allows the 360 to load certain content. That's why some of your items will be missing if you try to continue a previously saved game without being connected.

The expansion pack is NOT part of the validation system. You can start a new game, create a new character and not be affected.

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
Well apparently it happened to CousinLump above, so it's not a total lie.
He must have had some kind of other issue. Several of us played today when Live was down, so it's definately not true.

FrankT

CousinLump said:
True enough, but how is my current situation explained? Maybe you need to have a Shivering Isles save on the system before you can play w/o being connected? I did the dl last night, but did not play. My 360 claims I do not have any Oblivion dl content.

As long as you are logged into the console (not XBL) with the profile you used to download the content it will work.

Been playing like this all day.

CousinLump, do u have only one save? If you have other saved game, try to load that? If works, then it might be that your last save is corrupted.

Jtyettis said:
As long as you are logged into the console (not XBL) with the profile you used to download the content it will work.

Been playing like this all day.

While I do have multiple profiles on my system, my XBL profile auto signs in every time. I'm going with Greekwolf's Line validation system answer. Sounds like a winner to me! I suppose we shall see soon enough.

MirageDwarf said:
CousinLump, do u have only one save? If you have other saved game, try to load that? If works, then it might be that your last save is corrupted.

Yeah, I tried all my old saves. :( I'm thinking Greekwolf hit it on the head. Hopefully, when MS finishes their 14 hour update sometime next week (zing!), I can test it out.

GhaleonEB

CousinLump said:
Yeah, I tried all my old saves. :( I'm thinking Greekwolf hit it on the head. Hopefully, when MS finishes their 14 hour update sometime next week (zing!), I can test it out.
Well, it has been delayed.

Major Nelson said:
This season’s Xbox Live Maintenance is almost complete. The engineers have begun the final testing and preparation to bring the service back online. We have one outstanding issue before we can flip the switch, so that means that we’re not back yet. I’ll post another update when I have more details. I don’t have an exact time when the service will be back online, and I’ll post an update when I do.
Waiting is fun.

GreekWolf

CousinLump said:
It sucks man, I know... but rest assured that your items are still there. :)

I went through the same situation about a month ago, and nearly had a conniption when my level 30 warrior appeared on screen in his underwear.

Kewk

Banned
Man I have a 100% crash when I try to enter the Crucible doors :/ Sucks because that is where the next quest objective is so my progression is halted.

Kabouter

Meh I have crashes all the time, after about an hour my Oblivion becomes ridiculously unstable because of RAM issues (I have too little and Oblivion wants over 1,5GB after all these mods). It's the reason I press F5 all the time :p. Luckily though it doesn't stop my progress. Maybe you could try going back one save and trying again?

Kewk

Banned
Kabouter said:
Meh I have crashes all the time, after about an hour my Oblivion becomes ridiculously unstable because of RAM issues (I have too little and Oblivion wants over 1,5GB after all these mods). It's the reason I press F5 all the time :p. Luckily though it doesn't stop my progress. Maybe you could try going back one save and trying again?

Yeah, but im crashing on 360 :(

I'm at work now and got the crash in the morning right before I left for work. I intend to try multiple saves once I get home.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kewk said:
Man I have a 100% crash when I try to enter the Crucible doors :/ Sucks because that is where the next quest objective is so my progression is halted.

I had a hard lock crash when entering the Crucible doors for the first time from outside as well. I reloaded a previous save, and I got through fine the second time. I think the game is just generally unstable. I had another crash in the first dungeon. My 360 has only crashed on buggy games before, so it's not my (our hopefully your) 360 dying.

Kabouter

Kewk said:

I'm at work now and got the crash in the morning right before I left for work. I intend to try multiple saves once I get home.

Yeah, you should, I had the same problem once before, I couldn't finish a quest because it kept crashing when I went into a cabin. Went back a save (luckily made only 5 minutes earlier), and it worked again. It's a shame, but it's hard to make a game this massive bugfree.

Some of the bugs are plain hilarious though, I once had a bug where objects wouldn't clip anymore. And this was on a bridge, so I just fell through as soon as I tried walking over it. Also all the AI characters and such, so there were guards patrolling through the water :lol. Was pretty damn awesome :D.

Branduil

So does anyone have suggestions for a good budget graphics card to improve my Oblivion performance? I've got a Radeon x800 GT currently.

pilonv1

I had a stupid issue last night (non-Shivering Ilse related since I didn't get the expansion yet). Over the weekend and on Monday night I was running through the Fighters guild quests, and made my way up to Warder, and picked up the Skeleton Key. Last night I hit continue and loaded up my last game, and it was just after I finished the main quest. Somehow I'd lost my save that I'd used for about 4-5 hours over 3-4 days. Yet I still had the achievements :( Now I have to run through the boring first half of the fighters guild again.

Kewk

Banned
Kewk said:

Yep, rolling back to an older save got me past this crash.

anyone know how this works with unofficial mods? i'll pick it up either way, but i don't super want to have to start a new character because the game doesn't like oscuro.

neuroticphil said:
anyone know how this works with unofficial mods? i'll pick it up either way, but i don't super want to have to start a new character because the game doesn't like oscuro.
There are so many mods that you never know which one works which doesn't. Over at official forums, people are saying that oscuro works with SI.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Still having fun in Oblivion. Completed a Fighter's Guild and Mage's guild quest so far. Other random stuff as well. I do wish my main skills would level up a bit quicker. Than again, I really don't know the system of progression too well yet. Oh yeah, also hit the Arena. Rock on, I'm already a Bloodletter. The arena is too damn fun.

Whew.
Now that Live is back up, the 360 is kind enough to agree that yes, indeed, I do have some extra content. All of my guy's stuff is back. Couldn't have made it through this crisis without the loving support of the GAF Oblivion thread members. Special thanks to GreekWolf for letting me believe in myself.

raYne

Uncle said:
How could IGN make such a mistake? Sale delayed. For now.
It isn't. I've been playing SI for six hours straight without signing into Live at all. You only need to be signed into the profile.

Anyway, I'm having a blast so far. Did the entire first section and entered Mania where I cleared out all the dungeons from the south leading up to the first real city. Helping out the ghosts trapped in the time loop was interesting. It seemed bugged (in a good way) for me though, 'cause I completed one of the objectives without the needed item. :lol

Re: that quest. The guy that keeps putting people on "The List" was hilarious. As was the female archer that kept repeating numbers periodically while she spoke.

Been reading grave stones along the way as well. My favorite so far being:

"Here lies Helene the Deaf, She never heard it coming."

rofl. :lol

danwarb

From IGNs review:

First off, this expansion is download only, so an internet connection is required to grab the sizable file. Second, once the content is sitting on your hard drive, you still need to be connected to Live in order to access it, so it can run an identity verification check. Note that this only applies to situations where you're playing on a console that isn't the one you originally downloaded the content on. If you keep the same hard drive on the same console all the time, it shouldn't be a problem. This was the case will all previously released Oblivion downloadable content and Xbox Live Arcade games as well

raYne

danwarb said:
First off, this expansion is download only, so an internet connection is required to grab the sizable file. Second, once the content is sitting on your hard drive, you still need to be connected to Live in order to access it, so it can run an identity verification check. Note that this only applies to situations where you're playing on a console that isn't the one you originally downloaded the content on. If you keep the same hard drive on the same console all the time, it shouldn't be a problem. This was the case will all previously released Oblivion downloadable content and Xbox Live Arcade games as well
Edited for emphasis.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, Live is back, and once again nothing is changed. I CANNOT download Shivering Isles. Seriously, this may be the straw that breaks the proverbial camel's back. I've sent my launch 360 back twice now for repair, I've bought hundreds of dollars worth of games, over 20 Live Arcade titles, every single Oblivion DLC (yes, even horse armor).

And now this. So far, around 5 or 6 hours of straight download attempts, constantly checking progress, seeing it freeze at 51/52%, keep downloading (i see the activity on my dsl modem), then give me an incomplete file at the end.

A big F-U to MS right now. Wow, am I pissed.

Sorry for the rant, enjoy SI you guys.

Lord Sheogorath and Haskill are by far the two best characters in Oblivion. Sheogorath because he's absolutely insane and Haskill because he's exactly the way you imagine someone who has to wait day and night on someone who's absolutely insane.

"Oh, I see Lord Sheogorath has given you the ability to summon me. How wonderfuly for me."

:D

Top Bottom