• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

XSamu

Banned
eXistor said:
That's exactly the kind of thing I want to hear, I love Oblivion to death but the environments do tend to repeat themselves a bit too often. Are the dungeons also different graphically?
GhaleonEB said:
Wow. Dungeon designs got a BIG overhaul. I'm in Xaselm and the Flesh Atronoch + Skinned Hounds are raping my sorry ass. I'm so glad I made an uber-fast character because I'm spending a lot of time running away. :lol
:)

GreekWolf

Yep. All new textures and environments. Moss hanging from ancient crypts... giant stone gargoyles... saturated colors clashing with rotten wood. It's just completely different from Oblivion.

The voice acting is ridiculously good, and I can tell that many of them are new actors. I really don't know what else to say. The game gets a 10/10 from me.

Kabouter

Bah, got porphyric hemophilia :(
Hopefully the mandrake root I just ate will cure it.
Don't wanna be a vampire, even though I'm already more than pale enough to be one :p.

XSamu

Banned
Kabouter said:
Don't wanna be a vampire, even though I'm already more than pale enough to be one :p.
Go to a church for a blessing. You can't risk becoming a vampire. I had it myself, in the beginning it was nice, but after a while it became a real burden... and getting the potion to get rid off vampirism takes ages.

Kabouter

XSamu said:
Go to a church for a blessing. You can't risk becoming a vampire. I had it myself, in the beginning it was nice, but after a while it became a real burden... and getting the potion to get rid off vampirism takes ages.

Church won't do me any good, I'm too infamous.
Mostly done DB and Thieves Guild quests :p.

Maybe I need to spend more time with this, because I seem to be the only one in this thread who seems dissappointed with my purchase. I will definitely put some more time in with it once I get home today.

GhaleonEB

FlyinJ said:
You're finding it to be hard? I did 2 optional dungeons and the first story dungeon, and every single creature was a total pushover. Like I said earlier, one weak fireball hit would kill them.

I was level 2 at the time. I think I'll go level to 4 in the normal game and come back to see if it's harder.

I really don't want to use the difficulty slider. I want to play the game as the designers intended.
I had a fight with one Flesh Atronoch and two Skinned Hounds at the same time (when I was out of potions) that took me a half-dozen reloads to beat. :lol

I've got a handle on them now, but if I take them head-on one of either of those chews through half my health, easy.

{Mike}

Banned
snack said:
Maybe I need to spend more time with this, because I seem to be the only one in this thread who seems dissappointed with my purchase. I will definitely put some more time in with it once I get home today.

blasphemy!!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Kabouter said:

Yeah any Cure Disease potion or spell will get rid of porphyric hemophelia. Just don't let it sit for 3 days without curing it and you won't become a vampire.

shuri said:
Those screenshots are awesome! Those new places feel like Morrowind!

That's the same vibe I was getting from the expansion as I played last night. Great stuff for what little time I've had with it.

Hey Steve! Great work on Shivering Isles! Thanks for an excellent expansion. I promised I'd buy DLC with this kind of content, and I did. Imagine! Me! Buying DLC! :D I should get free horse armor or something! :lol

XSamu

Banned
Kabouter said:
If you don't want to waste a potion, you can also use the spell.

I will only be able to download Shivering Isles tonight, so people who already have it, tell me, what are those new summon spells??!?!

theBishop

Banned
I'd just like to say that the Dark Brotherhood quests are AWESOME!

I played Mages guild on the PC, and now i'm playing DB on PS3. Its like a completely different game. :)

FrankT

andrewfee said:
That was the reason I started over last night, but I didn't notice anything added at the start of the game, so you shouldn't miss out on anything.

It may not have been this topic, but some people were asking for pics of it, so here's a few:

Awwesome pics, really loving it so far.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
GhaleonEB said:
You enter Shivering Isles from a portal in the main world, pretty sure you need the game.

Okay, how the hell do I find it? I downloaded Isles last night and I restarted Oblivion from the very beginning, made myself a sturdy Nord warrior, and I played past the intro/tutorial and finally made it outside into the open world.

Where the hell is the portal to Shivering Isles??

I couldn't find it for the life of me. I ended up dozing off in Market District haggling with a merchant over crappy armor.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
MirageDwarf said:
Wait for 24 hours. Your journal entry will be updated with new quest about rumored gate opened in Niben Bay.

Aha! So I can playthrough the normal quest again (never finished it), start up the Dark Brotherhood quest and still do Shivering Isles? Jebus!

bob_arctor said:
Aha! So I can playthrough the normal quest again (never finished it), start up the Dark Brotherhood quest and still do Shivering Isles? Jebus!

You can even start Shivvie, leave, and come back whenever the eff you want.

This is my first "Expansion Pack" of this scale and, boy, I am just blown away by the awesome.

Welcome to the Elder Scrolls! The Expansions for Morrowind were sweet as hell too. Tons of content for your money and they have a way of sucking you back into the game like no other.

I've barely scratched the surface of Shivering Isles. I'm still in the starting town, but I'm already impressed with the things I've seen and done.

The walls melting into butterflies from that starting area were all kinds of awesome.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Welcome to the Elder Scrolls! The Expansions for Morrowind were sweet as hell too. Tons of content for your money and they have a way of sucking you back into the game like no other.

I've barely scratched the surface of Shivering Isles. I'm still in the starting town, but I'm already impressed with the things I've seen and done.

The walls melting into butterflies from that starting area were all kinds of awesome.

Unfortunately I was playing in the middle of the night with the sound cranked down so I had no sonic atmosphere to go with it, but when all of a sudden the butterflies appeared and everything changed...holy CRAP. Escaping the prison times a billion.

And I love the design of the world, even just in this little outskirt town. Everyone living in weird elevated shacks with rickity stairs. SO MUCH ATMOSPHERE.

So totally worth the scratch, if anyone's on the fence.

tim1138

I downloaded Shivering Isles last night and fooled around with it for about an hour or so. I'm past the point where
you go kill the Gatekeeper (man did that thing ever blow me away!), and have entered the door of Dementia
. I'm playing it with my main character, who's level 26 and has completed the main quest, the DB story arch and most of the other side quests. For the first time in a long time in Oblivion I actually have to pay attention to my health as the new enemies are tough! What a fantastic addition to the game this is looking to be.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It definately has a look that feels very Morrowind familiar, I half-expected to see a Land strider transport bug in the first little shack town.

Just wondering if people chose Mania or Deranged(?). If there even is a true difference.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Unfortunately I was playing in the middle of the night with the sound cranked down so I had no sonic atmosphere to go with it, but when all of a sudden the butterflies appeared and everything changed...holy CRAP. Escaping the prison times a billion.

And I love the design of the world, even just in this little outskirt town. Everyone living in weird elevated shacks with rickity stairs. SO MUCH ATMOSPHERE.

So totally worth the scratch, if anyone's on the fence.

Yeah, I was feeling the same at first. Enjoyed the conversation with the guy who greets you, but wasn't blown away or anything, then he walks away, and the place turned into butterflies. I was like "OMG! That is awesome!"

I was also expecting to see a Land Strider. Definitely a bit of a Morrowind Vibe going on. It's going to be sad to not be able to play it for two weeks after Friday. But oh well, guess I'll have to suffer through that vacation! ;)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm just doing whatever random quests I happen upon now. It's much more fun than rushing through the main story. I did a Thieves' Guild and Mages' Guild quest last night and it was fun. Also got Asura's Star. :D

I want to do Dark Brotherhood and Knights of the Nine quests. I never did them in the 360 game.

GhaleonEB

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm just doing whatever random quests I happen upon now. It's much more fun than rushing through the main story. I did a Thieves' Guild and Mages' Guild quest last night and it was fun. Also got Asura's Star. :D

I want to do Dark Brotherhood and Knights of the Nine quests. I never did them in the 360 game.
Both of those questlines are all kinds of awesome. Dark Brotherhood will rock your world. :D

Agreed on the DB. It so awesome. Extremely well written, challenging, and thoughtful all at the same time. By far my favorite questline in the game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GhaleonEB said:
I had a fight with one Flesh Atronoch and two Skinned Hounds at the same time (when I was out of potions) that took me a half-dozen reloads to beat. :lol

I've got a handle on them now, but if I take them head-on one of either of those chews through half my health, easy.

What level is your character? The skinned hounds go down with one shot from my fireball at level 3. Looks like this game was not balanced at all for lower level characters. It's incredibly easy.

Man, this sucks. I really wanted to go through with a new character. Regardless of the fact that they advertised it as being for all levels, it definitely seems it was made for high levels with low levels as an afterthought.

Vrolokus

Banned
Brandon F said:
Just wondering if people chose Mania or Deranged(?). If there even is a true difference.

There is a difference, each gives you a different area effect skill.
Deranged's is some sort of demoralizer, and Mania's causes frenzied states.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Agreed on the DB. It so awesome. Extremely well written, challenging, and thoughtful all at the same time. By far my favorite questline in the game.

Bethesda could have just made Oblivion with the Dark Brotherhood questline and nothing else, it still would have been worth 60 bucks.

The variety in quests, the dark humor, and storyline were amazing. That questline was the most fun I ever had in a RPG.

Vrolokus

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Man, this sucks. I really wanted to go through with a new character. Regardless of the fact that they advertised it as being for all levels, it definitely seems it was made for high levels with low levels as an afterthought.

I don't know about that... I made a brand-new character for the expansion, and haven't had any problems so far... I'm a couple hours in.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Vrolokus said:
I don't know about that... I made a brand-new character for the expansion, and haven't had any problems so far... I'm a couple hours in.

What class are you? Are the skinned dogs giving you any trouble at all?

I went back into the normal game to do a little random dungeon raiding. I'm level 3. When I encountered some goblins, they took about 6-7 fireball hits to finally go down. It was a crazy fight. I then go back into Shivering Isles, and every monster takes one hit from my fireball and burns up dead. Skinned dogs, those tree things, the little frog goblins... everything I've fought so far.

XSamu said:
Please, again. What are the new summons in this game?!?! '_'

Perhaps no one has found the summons spells yet, but were I to guess, they would all be for the new creatures in the expansion. Makes sense, no? Just buy the expansion and find out. Which Summons spells in the expansion shouldn't make or break it for you.

I've been playing as my main character that I finished the game with. A 40th level mix of stealth/melee/magic and some of the creatures I've faced so far have pushed me to the limits. Very challenging battles once again, which was lacking in the upper levels of Oblivion.

GhaleonEB

FlyinJ said:
What level is your character? The skinned hounds go down with one shot from my fireball at level 3. Looks like this game was not balanced at all for lower level characters. It's incredibly easy.

Skinned hounds take a lot of extra damage from fire, according to an NPC. I was using a 15-point freeze spell and they took four of those before dropping; I didn't know fire did extra damage until a few minutes ago. I'm level four now. Want a challenge? Get tossed in prison and fight your way out of the dungeon. If the last guard doesn't give you a challenge, then you have ninja skills. :lol

Or, just bump the difficulty slider up one notch. I've been on the verge of death many, many times so far so maybe it's just me.

Murdering that
guy who wants to die was much fun. I just killed him in the middle of the street right away, snagged his key and turned myself in to the guards.
The prison dungeon was fun. I suspect I'll be going through it often!

FlyinJ said:
What class are you? Are the skinned dogs giving you any trouble at all?

I went back into the normal game to do a little random dungeon raiding. I'm level 3. When I encountered some goblins, they took about 6-7 fireball hits to finally go down. It was a crazy fight. I then go back into Shivering Isles, and every monster takes one hit from my fireball and burns up dead. Skinned dogs, those tree things, the little frog goblins... everything I've fought so far.
What? How powerful is your fireball? Everyone takes a half dozen or more from mine.

XSamu

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Perhaps no one has found the summons spells yet, but were I to guess, they would all be for the new creatures in the expansion. Makes sense, no? Just buy the expansion and find out. Which Summons spells in the expansion shouldn't make or break it for you.
Xbox Live is down, and I'm just dying with curiosity. I used summons most of the time, so thats what I'm rly looking forward to.

GreekWolf

Ugh. I popped in over at the Bethesda forums this morning to ask a question about downloadable content, and now I wish I hadn't. Stupid, irresponsible people posting game spoilers right in the thread title. That should be a bannable offense in my opinion. It's ridiculous. I don't know why the mods let them get away with that sort of thing.

I remember the good old days, back in the late 90's and early millennium when you could hang out over there, sharing stories, swapping tips/tricks and discussing the game with other intelligent folk. Of course, at that time, the Elder Scrolls series was only on the PC and most of its fans were 25 years of age and older. Nowadays, it's mostly teeny-bop fodder. If you can locate a poster who has the ability to form a coherent thought, consider yourself fortunate.

/rant

XSamu said:
Xbox Live is down, and I'm just dying with curiosity. I used summons most of the time, so thats what I'm rly looking forward to.

Well, pretty safe bet on the summons spells simply being for the new creatures.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GhaleonEB said:
Skinned hounds take a lot of extra damage from fire, according to an NPC. I was using a 15-point freeze spell and they took four of those before dropping; I didn't know fire did extra damage until a few minutes ago. I'm level four now. Want a challenge? Get tossed in prison and fight your way out of the dungeon. If the last guard doesn't give you a challenge, then you have ninja skills. :lol

Or, just bump the difficulty slider up one notch. I've been on the verge of death many, many times so far so maybe it's just me.

Every monster in the game so far must be susceptible to fire. I actually knocked the difficulty up about 4 notches, and it's still giving me the one-shot kills. I really hate having to use the difficulty slider. The game should be designed to be challenging out the door.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GhaleonEB said:
What? How powerful is your fireball? Everyone takes a half dozen or more from mine.

I'm just using the basic 5 points fire damage over 3 seconds one. Every monster so far takes one of these and goes down. I'm level 3. I take it you're playing a new mage as well? You said you were level 4?

FlyinJ said:
Every monster in the game so far must be susceptible to fire. I actually knocked the difficulty up about 4 notches, and it's still giving me the one-shot kills. I really hate having to use the difficulty slider. The game should be designed to be challenging out the door.

I have to check my fire spells then, as I'm not mowing through everything at my level. I've only fought those critters in the bone yard and a few of those goblin looking things so far though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I have to check my fire spells then, as I'm not mowing through everything at my level. I've only fought those critters in the bone yard and a few of those goblin looking things so far though.

What level/class are you?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
40th level. Custom class that is close to a BattleMage with some decent stealth abilities mixed in.

That's got to be it. My friend started a new warrior, and he's telling me that all the monsters go down in 1-2 hits for him as well. The expansion just doesn't seem to be balanced for level 1-5 characters.

I guess I'm going to restart it with my main spellsword.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
xBigDanx said:
Where/how do you kick the difficulty up? I'm getting destroyed so maybe i need to kick it.... down?

Under "Game Options". There's a slider you can adjust up or down.

To further go into the problem I have with the slider:

It seems to me that it's a hack. I used it before in the core game, and found that it has wildly differing effects. It made all encounters a bit harder, but some of them impossible. It eliminates all notion of gameplay ramping, which is integral to design... especially in an RPG. When I buy a game, one of the things I look for is a fair but challenging experience. I don't want to be constantly pushing and pulling some lever to artificially challenge myself or make things easier. It goes against the entire experience of of the game. It ruins immersion.

Every encounter I come across, I'm thinking "Well, is this supposed to be a spike in difficulty, or did I screw up the design by pushing the difficulty lever to 6? If I pull it back to 0, is that what the designers intended? Does this game even -have- any logical difficulty ramping?".

GhaleonEB

FlyinJ said:
I'm just using the basic 5 points fire damage over 3 seconds one. Every monster so far takes one of these and goes down. I'm level 3. I take it you're playing a new mage as well? You said you were level 4?
You've got some kind of crazy glitch going on. The goblin-like creatures take 3-6 fireballs depending on the variety. Knarls take a half dozen at the least. Flesh atronochs take about ten of those. It feels "normal" to me. Can someone else test as well?

I'm using the same 5-point fire spell you start with, and I'm level 4 now. I got there at level 3 though and it was about the same.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GhaleonEB said:
You've got some kind of crazy glitch going on. The goblin-like creatures take 3-6 depending on the variety. Knarls take a half dozen at the least. Flesh atronochs take about ten of those. It feels "normal" to me. Can someone else test as well?

I'm using the same 5-point fire spell you start with, and I'm level 4 now. I got there at level 3 though and it was about the same.

Wow, yeah, that's completely different from my experience. And this is with the difficulty lever at +4.

Top Bottom