• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

-Rogue5-

Anyone know if you unlock Shivering Isles on one XBL account, is it available on all other accounts on that system or just the account it was purchased on? Also what's the word on a disc version of the game? Has that been officially ruled out?

GreekWolf

FlyinJ said:
It's definitely not the 360 dying. Several of my friends have been having hard-crash problems in the expansion, and no crashes in any other games.

Like I posted previously, I got a hard-lock crash the first time I entered the main city in the expansion. I loaded a previous game after rebooting my 360, and I could enter fine. Two days later, I restarted the expansion with my main character, and got a hard-lock crash in the exact same spot. It's definitely the game code.
I dunno. If it were due to shoddy code, then we would all be having the same problems. But I haven't experienced any of these issues... not one crash, and it seems as if Jedi and Ghaleon haven't had them either.

It's possible that some people's downloads have been corrupted, which is causing all the problems. That certainly wouldn't surprise me, since the server practically crashed before Live went down for maintenace, and everyone had to stop and restart their downloads repeatedly.

FrankT

-Rogue5- said:
Anyone know if you unlock Shivering Isles on one XBL account, is it available on all other accounts on that system or just the account it was purchased on? Also what's the word on a disc version of the game? Has that been officially ruled out?

No word on a disc version. I wouldn't expect one for awhile at least.

Banned
-Rogue5- said:
The way DLC works on the 360 is that when you buy it, the content is tied into both your account, and your Xbox.

If it's being played on the same system, it doesn't care about anything else, and will work for anyone.

If you use it on another 360 if your system died, or you upgrade to the Elite, it then has to connect to Live to verify that it's not been copied to someone else's drive as well etc, so it will only work on the account it was purchased with. (as only one machine can be signed into an account at a time) As soon as Live goes down, the content disappears. (which is why a lot of people had items etc disappear with the downtime the other day)

I couldn't find it last night, even from the in-game 'Downloads' menu. Everyone else I know here is merrily dl'ing from their overseas accounts (tied to overseas credit cards) but I don't have one. waaaah. I guess i can buy some points on a card but bah.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GreekWolf said:
I dunno. If it were due to shoddy code, then we would all be having the same problems. But I haven't experienced any of these issues... not one crash, and it seems as if Jedi and Ghaleon haven't had them either.

It's possible that some people's downloads have been corrupted, which is causing all the problems. That certainly wouldn't surprise me, since the server practically crashed before Live went down for maintenace, and everyone had to stop and restart their downloads repeatedly.

I forgot to add, someone else in this thread had the game hard crash at that exact spot (entering the city for the first time).

Which makes me believe it has nothing to do with the 360 hardware, and it's a bug. A more likely situation is that a certain combination of factors have to exist for the game to crash at that point. You don't have those factors occuring in your particular game, while I and others do.

Again, after reloading a savegame and trying again after a reboot, it doesn't crash there again.

GhaleonEB

So - just got through the first dungoen of the main quest. At this moment, right now, I'm thinking Shivering Isles has matched the best stuff I ever saw in the main game. There's been plot twists, wicked humor, murders of the helpless and some guy that just yibbers all the time.

Sent in the swarm of Gnarls, dropped the keys and raised the dead. Mwuahahahaah!

Creating weapons and armor from materials (with a cross-town rivalry to boot), a sword that tracks how many kills it scores and grows stronger, a dungeon to escape from for prison, ten new and unexplored dungeons and twelve unresolved side-quests stacked up to chip away at. And I'm less than ten hours in.

It's like Bethesda decided to inject their writers and designers with a big dose of awesome.

GreekWolf

GhaleonEB said:
It's like Bethesda decided to inject their writers and designers with a big dose of awesome.
I agree. Everything I've experienced in the Shivering Isles has been amazing.

To be honest, the original game was sorely lacking in this sort of creativity.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ok, after the patch I started playing Oblivion on 360 again. I had only played like 5 hours before, and felt it was pretty much a bore. It's growing on me know, getting into guilds, doing missions etc etc. It's also more fun when you come to grips with all the different features and gameplay systems...not to mention getting to know the world you're moving around in. So I'm really starting to enjoy it. But there's still one thing that irritates me.

I've been a vampire for 10 hours now, and I STILL haven't seen one single "greater soul gem", and I need FIVE of those to get rid of this shit.
So could someone, once and for all, tell me the easiest way to find these soul gems? I want to enjoy Oblivion without having to suck blood from innocent people, only move around during night and occasionally scare people away when I try to talk to them.

Kabouter

Finally hit level three today, 25 hours into it. Going pretty well for my char now, working my way to 5000 gold worth of goods fenced, would be there now if the fence's prices weren't so outrageously low. Oh well, guess I'll just have to go to my house, pick out a valuable magical item, and sell that. Don't feel like emptying 20 houses just so I can get to that 5000 :p.

Oh, and of course boring-ass regular Oblivion screenshot time:

MaddenNFL64

Got the expansion, and i'm loving it so far. Mania brings back some Morrowind memories (but in High def visuals :p). Gotta say though, New Sheoth has had a bad stretch of NPC deaths since i've arrived, and not by my hand either. I hope this isn't a trend, as many of these folk have quests I want to complete.

Damn, I can't get any time with the SI. Every time I sit down to play the phone rings with someone who wants to chat with me before I head out on vacation. I'm trying to finish preparations for my trip and steal a little Oblivion time, and some keeps ****ing it up on me! :D

I have to say that some of the creatures in SI are quite terrifying. They certainly have an other worldly feel about them, and they kind of creep me out. In a very good way. They're also tough as hell at higher levels, so the challenge is great too.

Now if only I had more time...

XSamu

Banned
Kabouter said:
Finally hit level three today, 25 hours into it. Going pretty well for my char now, working my way to 5000 gold worth of goods fenced, would be there now if the fence's prices weren't so outrageously low. Oh well, guess I'll just have to go to my house, pick out a valuable magical item, and sell that. Don't feel like emptying 20 houses just so I can get to that 5000 :p.
Level 3 after 25 hours? You're doing something wrong here. You should've been level 10 at least after 25 hours.

I love Shivering Isles. There are more special/awesome armors and weapons etc then in the whole of Oblivion :D

GreekWolf said:
I agree. Everything I've experienced in the Shivering Isles has been amazing.

To be honest, the original game was sorely lacking in this sort of creativity.

this makes me want to re-buy Oblivion and give the expansion a chance

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
XSamu said:
Level 3 after 25 hours? You're doing something wrong here. You should've been level 10 at least after 25 hours.
I'm not about to tell anyone how to play, but I agree. I'm a level 15 after about 27 hours on my current character. I had a lot of trouble leveling up with my first character because my major skills were things that I didn't really "specialize" in - like blunt weapons, hand-to-hand, etc. If you tailor your character to the way you actually play the game, you'll level up much faster.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Kabouter said:
300% slower experience mod.
I've never heard of this. What's the point? Unless you plan on playing this character for potentially hundreds of hours.. I just think that the game's more fun at higher levels.

Kabouter

XSamu said:
What? Why? o_O

vatstep said:
I've never heard of this. What's the point? Unless you plan on playing this character for potentially hundreds of hours.. I just think that the game's more fun at higher levels.

I like the lower levels better personally :).
And besides, when I'm done with a particular set of levels (and thus enemies), I can just turn it off, play for a few hours without the mod (gain regular experience) and then continue with the mod on.

GhaleonEB

So I sat down for a quick run through one of the random caves I found at the root of a tree. It turned out to be some EPIC dungeon, with at least eight distinct map sections. It spilled from spider and bark creatures over to grummites, with a huge battle between them at the segue point (looked like 5 vs. 6). A couple of twists, a secret exit and two items of aburdly expensive loot.

For random dungeon #4, not too shabby. :D

Piper Az

Is it true that Shivering Isle expansion cannot be played unless you're connected to LIVE? What if I want to let my friend borrow it (by lending my HDD), who is not connected?

GhaleonEB

Piper Az said:
Is it true that Shivering Isle expansion cannot be played unless you're connected to LIVE? What if I want to let my friend borrow it (by lending my HDD), who is not connected?
This is NOT true.

GhaleonEB said:
So I sat down for a quick run through one of the random caves I found at the root of a tree. It turned out to be some EPIC dungeon, with at least eight distinct map sections. It spilled from spider and bark creatures over to grummites, with a huge battle between them at the segue point (looked like 5 vs. 6). A couple of twists, a secret exit and two items of aburdly expensive loot.

For random dungeon #4, not too shabby. :D

Awesome! That's the kind of thing I love. Completely exploring some random place and finding every little nook and cranny. :)

Kabouter

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Awesome! That's the kind of thing I love. Completely exploring some random place and finding every little nook and cranny. :)

Yeah, I still discover things I've never seen in the regular Oblivion :D

FrankT

Piper Az said:

Well no, I played it all day when live was down Tuesday. I assume you are going to let your friend utilize your xbox live profile because I'm sure that does need to be logged in (not logged into live), which are two entirely distinct things.

FrankT

Anyone push that poor guy off the ledge yet. I couldn't take it anymore my dark brotherhood ways are showing. Also anyone get the Ring of War? Wow, that is all.

GhaleonEB

Jtyettis said:
Anyone push that poor guy off the ledge yet. I couldn't take it anymore my dark brotherhood ways are showing. Also anyone get the Ring of War? Wow, that is all.
I didn't even wait to do that. I figured,
he wants me to kill him in private and doesn't want to see it coming. So if he wants to die in some nice quiet way, he wasn't going to get it from me. I whipped out my sword right away and beat him to death. He screamed and begged like a little girl; "don't hurt me! Noooo!" It was wonderful. So satisfying I just realized I never raided his house with the key I snagged from his corpse. I'll add that to tonight's to-do list.

GreekWolf

OK. What in the hell are those invisible creatures that keep sneaking up on me along the Low Road? Wandering through Dementia is already pretty creepy with its dark, gloomy atmosphere and gnarled, tangled branches all across the countryside . So whenever the battle music starts up, I literally jump out of my boots because I know something nasty is approaching. Only... I can't see it. But then it starts wailing away on me and my health drops like a rock.

I've found it's just better to run everywhere.

XSamu

Banned
GreekWolf said:
OK. What in the hell are those invisible creatures that keep sneaking up on me along the Low Road? Wandering through Dementia is already pretty creepy with its dark, gloomy atmosphere and gnarled, tangled branches all across the countryside . So whenever the battle music starts up, I literally jump out of my boots because I know something nasty is approaching. Only... I can't see it. But then it starts wailing away on me and my health drops like a rock.

They're invisible until the moment they attack you. They're always in the area of water. So if you don't want to fight them... don't go near water. Also, in the water, you can see there movements, their weakspots :)

GhaleonEB

GreekWolf said:

Also, keep a Detect Life spell handy and keep it active when near water.

What everybody does for storage in Shivering Isles? Can I avoid traveling to Cyrodiil? Sleeping is not a problem as there are few empty beds in abandoned camps. I wonder if some AI behavior kicks in, and kill me in the sleep. :lol

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
What everybody does for storage in Shivering Isles? Can I avoid traveling to Cyrodiil? Sleeping is not a problem as there are few empty beds in abandoned camps. I wonder if some AI behavior kicks in, and kill me in the sleep. :lol
Sadly, there is no permenant storage. I read that in an interview before it came out and decided to create a powerful melee character, partly so I could lug around that much extra loot. If it gets really bad I'll go back to Cyrodiil and enchant some shoes with Feather or something. I'm fully expecting one of those last DLC items for Oblivion to be a house in the Shivering Isles. And I'll probably buy one. :lol ...... :(

GreekWolf

XSamu said:
They're invisible until the moment they attack you. They're always in the area of water. So if you don't want to fight them... don't go near water. Also, in the water, you can see there movements, their weakspots :)
Ahh, that explains it. I've noticed that they always seem to attack me around the Hills of Suicide which, like you said, is surrounded by water. One of them became visible for a few seconds last night and it was hideous. I didn't bother to hang around and slug it out.

Makes me chuckle to think of those poor, naive residents of Cyrodil who are always having discussions about Mudcrabs being nasty little creatures. I wonder what they'd think about Grummites and Shambles.

GhaleonEB said:
Sadly, there is no permenant storage. I read that in an interview before it came out and decided to create a powerful melee character, partly so I could lug around that much extra loot. If it gets really bad I'll go back to Cyrodiil and enchant some shoes with Feather or something. I'm fully expecting one of those last DLC items for Oblivion to be a house in the Shivering Isles. And I'll probably buy one. :lol ...... :(

Don't encourage them! ;)

Kabouter

GhaleonEB said:

Wow, that's actually a pretty shameful omission.
Thank god for mods then I guess, though it really never comes close to being as good as something made by Bethesda.

GhaleonEB said:
They should have kept at least one crate/container somewhere that players can own. What I don't like about traveling to Cyrodiil is that it's two steps process. There is no way to travel directly to the city in Cyrodiil.

BTW, I entered through Dementia gate, and it added 'Blessing of Dementia' spell. It says "Demoralize upto level 12...". This doesn't sound that useful to high level characters as they will face enemies greater than level 12.

What spell you get if you enter through Mentia gate?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MirageDwarf said:
They should have kept at least one crate/container somewhere that players can own. What I don't like about traveling to Cyrodiil is that it's two steps process. There is no way to travel directly to the city in Cyrodiil.

BTW, I entered through Dementia gate, and it added 'Blessing of Dementia' spell. It says "Demoralize upto level 12...". This doesn't sound that useful to high level characters as they will face enemies greater than level 12.

What spell you get if you enter through Mentia gate?

Same thing. My character was level 29 when he went throught the door. Not very useful at all.

Top Bottom