• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i encountered a weird bug the other day, in which the L2 and R2 buttons on my PS3 would not work in Oblivion GOTY.

i had to restart the game/system to make the shoulder buttons start working again.

it was very odd.

rc213

davepoobond said:
i encountered a weird bug the other day, in which the L2 and R2 buttons on my PS3 would not work in Oblivion GOTY.

i had to restart the game/system to make the shoulder buttons start working again.

it was very odd.

I've had the whole controller die on me even though the red light shows it as synched. This game is one bug ridden bastard, But so far I can't stop playing it yet.

Non-GOTY PS3

YYZ

Proc said:
Question: After have played, finished, and selling Oblivion for x360, is it worth it to double dip on the GOTY edition for the PC? Does the additional content in Shivering Isles and mod scene merit the steep $60 price tag? I say steep because most PC games don't cost that much and the title itself is quite old at this point.
All the mod scene stuff makes a game that could justify a price tag into the hundreds imo, but it is only $60. The PC GOTY edition doesn't have the DLC plug-ins you would find in the separate Knights of the Nine box so you have to pay for those if you want them (total about $5-7 for all the DLC you will be missing). But the quests from the mod scene number in the DOZENS (and these are only the top quality ones, many with voice acting). I just spent the last 2.5 days reading through and downloading every mod that was recommended and interested me. I am not done configuring and installing everything yet :lol

I'm so excited to start a new character now. I installed all these graphical, weather, and sound mods among tons of other things and after installing a user interface (UI) mod, I booted it up just to test it out (unoptimized) and the game is more fantastic than ever, really jaw dropping.

The next Elder Scrolls game has found its way into my short list of highly anticipated games that I cannot wait to play. I really hope Bethesda heard the criticism about dumbing down Oblivion for consoles, especially the UI which sucks donkey balls to put it lightly.

The vanilla game, even on PC, is like a decent bowl of cereal. The mods are the milk and delicious fruit added in. This game would not have captivated me had it not been for the mod scene. Not to mention thousands of bug fixes in the unofficial patches.

I'm just totally in love with this game now. Only on PC though, playing on consoles is worse than vanilla Oblivion on the PC which I imagine would be near torture for me to play through. Getting an affordable PC for this game is easy now: Core2Duo, 8800GT, 2GB RAM, decent sound card (for the unbelievable sound mods).

There's just too much love for this game to fit in one post!

xabre

Banned
Clevinger said:
By the way, for anyone who cares, the game will probably be called Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim. Skyrim has been trademarked in the same way Oblivion and Morrowind were trademarked in the past (with full merchandise and other stuff indicating it's a numbered title).

Isn't Skyrim just all about ice and Nords and stuff? Do we really want to be trudging through snow for 200 hours?

Cedeo

Such a great game, one of my favourite experiences of '06.

Any tidbits of info on Elder Scrolls 5, or will it come after Fallout 3?

I just got back into this game with a brand new unscratched copy (finally). I'm assuming the disc spinning noises are normal since Morrowind was brutal on my Xbox.

I purchased all the XBL content but haven't delved into it yet. I haven't played the game in a year but I'm hoping they fixed alot of stuff with the updates.

Does Bethesda have any plans for some more new content soon? I wouldn't mind a weapons/armor pack or some new faces for NPC's.

rc213

PC Gaijin said:
Does clearing the cache help with the PS3 version as well? I've been playing Oblivion on the PS3 for about 16 hours, and tonight I started running into weird glitches that I never saw on the 360 version. Mainly NPC character models floating in mid-air that I could not target but could walk though. Shortly after seeing these I went into combat with a wolf, and the game locked up tight. Frozen with music still playing. The PS button didn't work, nor did the soft power button on the front. Had to power cycle via the switch on the back. Is this just typical buggy Oblivion bullshit (I remember some freezing problem on the 360 version)? If it's my PS3...I'm going to give up on next-gen considering I just bought the PS3 because the 360 was so crappy in the reliability department...

After powering on again, I went into a cave and spent about half an hour clearing all the goblins in it. As I was heading back out, I fell off a ledge and ended up trapped behind a wall with no way out that I can see. Is there still a levitate spell in Oblivion? This kind of buggy stuff is annoying as hell.

Deleting the Oblivion cache file does help a bit. I usually delete it when I start running into the floating npc which as u said are transparent. I also keep 3 different saves spaced out to keep from losing so many hours of damn cave clearing. When it hard locks just hold the power button on the front about 5 seconds and it should shutdown, Never had to use the main power switch.

Cedeo said:
Such a great game, one of my favourite experiences of '06.

Any tidbits of info on Elder Scrolls 5, or will it come after Fallout 3?
Looking at the time Bethesda takes to create games, I would expect next ES game on next generation consoles only.

PROVE ME WRONG, BETHESDA. PLZ.

YYZ said:
I just saw this awesome trailer, you guys are missing out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6G9zK4D5A

Right now FCOM is on version 0.93 so I guess 1.0 is coming out very soon. These modders have put more work into Oblivion than Bethesda themselves!
Awesome stuff.

YYZ

So anyone have the PC version and a good PC? I suggest using Qarl's Texture Pack 3 Redimized, almost no visual difference from QTP3 but big performance boost. All the lighting and sound mods are amazing too if you want to keep most of the gameplay same as Vanilla Oblivion. I finally installed my 200+ mods and got everything working. Turned off fast travel too, the game is a completely different experience.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=799440

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Hey, I had a question regarding a possible bug. Now, my girlfriend spent a crap load of time in the beginning of this game creating her character to make a female that actually looked good(you all know how hard this is!). Now she's 25 hours in. Recently she became a vampire and spent a while completing the shopping list of items you need to cure it. Once she was finally done she went to that old hag and had her make the potion to cure her. However, as soon as she took the potion, she was cured, but she had a COMPLETELY different face than she had before. Now she looks like a freaking man!!! It's disgusting!!!

What's up with this? Why did it change her face when she was bitten??? does this happen to all vampires? I'm glad I haven't gotten it yet. I mean, there's some cool bonuses but if it changes my characters face like that then no way in hell i want that. I love my dark elf! Has anybody else experienced this??? I take it there's no fixing this? She was quite disappointed to see all her hard work turn into a she-man =/

RiverBed

Banned
cry for help:

can anyone please upload me a PS3 save for Oblivion passed the Vampire disease part? I got the disease very early and at level 4 or so, I cannot possibly complete the quest to cure my self and I am crippled in the game by it since it is a pain to travel in such a status. I wanted to start all over again, but that doesn't mean I won't just get the disease again anyway.

I don't mind an advance level save as well. anything is better than having the game lying around collecting dust for a couple of months. I checked Gamefaqs and they only have one PS3 save and it is only after the sewer part at the very beginning.

cheers.

RiverBed said:
cry for help:

can anyone please upload me a PS3 save for Oblivion passed the Vampire disease part? I got the disease very early and at level 4 or so, I cannot possibly complete the quest to cure my self and I am crippled in the game by it since it is a pain to travel in such a status. I wanted to start all over again, but that doesn't mean I won't just get the disease again anyway.

I don't mind an advance level save as well. anything is better than having the game lying around collecting dust for a couple of months. I checked Gamefaqs and they only have one PS3 save and it is only after the sewer part at the very beginning.

cheers.
I don't remember exactly but are you sure you can not cure at early levels?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Vampire_Cure It shows rewards for all levels including 4.

Article says something about bug in PS3 GOTY edition. Are you playing that version?

{Mike}

Banned
RiverBed said:
cry for help:

cheers.

doomed :lol

NoirYuki

RiverBed said:
cry for help:

cheers.

I dunno, I played much of the game as a vampire since the stat boosts are nice. I guess since you're such a low level the sun drains your health too fast? It's been a while since I played, but I thought that as long as you drank some blood, you should be fine for a while (i.e. not take damage in the sun), in exchange lower bonus stats. So go get some blood or travel by night.

Ugly though, vampires in Oblivion. Did any PC mods fix that?

RiverBed

Banned
Article says something about bug in PS3 GOTY edition. Are you playing that version?
no, I am playing the normal one that came out first. abd I tried to do the quest; it is very difficult at my level and traveling makes it even harder at that level and status.

I guess since you're such a low level the sun drains your health too fast?
exactly. I like the Vampire status as well. I can jump higher and what not, but traveling is a pain since I keep dying due to sunlight. even if I warp, I arrive dead since the game calculates as if you were running the entire time. I have to keep hiding in houses and 'wait' till sundown then move till sunrise and repeate over and over. it is a pain.

can anyone simply upload me their save file? I am giving up unless I could find someone that could do that for me and give me hope.

cheers.

BitchTits

RiverBed said:
I like the Vampire status as well. I can jump higher and what not, but traveling is a pain since I keep dying due to sunlight. even if I warp, I arrive dead since the game calculates as if you were running the entire time. I have to keep hiding in houses and 'wait' till sundown then move till sunrise and repeate over and over. it is a pain.
Aren't you biting people when you hide in houses? You should be biting people when they're asleep, and that will allow you to walk freely during the daytime for another 24 hours.

I played the whole game through twice as a Vampire and loved it. Does the PS3 have the Vile Lair add-on? If so you can cure Vampirism there without doing the long quest (although you will want to do the quest later on as it's needed for another quest - just don't drink your potion if you want to stay a Vampire).

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
This game is too addictive, it's taking over my life, which isn't entirely bad..

The arena was surprisingly lame though. My god it was incredibly easy to become grand champion. I started it all excited at the challenge and then 30 minutes later I'm grand champion? At level 11? Kinda dumb. I was hoping it'd be harder, Oh well. The rest of the game has been incredible. I'm a member of all the factions but I'm currently only working on the Fighter's and Mages Guild. I hear they're worse than Theive's & DB so I figure I'll save the best for last.

Everyday during classes I look forward to coming home and playing this. It encompasses most of my daily thoughts throughout the day, which isn't sad in the least :D

RiverBed

Banned
Does the PS3 have the Vile Lair add-on?
I don't really know. and the problem with drinking blood is that you need to keep looking for people that are asleep. that and if you break into a house, any guard you talk to afterwards will automatically try to arrest you- as if they somehow knew what you did.
the whole thing is too troublesome, feels like a job rather than an entertaining game and it is a game-breaking, crippling hindrance in the game for me- and for many others as another thread painfully showed.

I'll appreciate it if I get any save file to help me. it will either have the problem solves or it will have a high level that will make living with such an issue much more bearable.

AIRic

I bought Oblivion (PC) about 2 weeks ago and I've put about 35 hours in it. It's my second RPG I've ever played beside KOTOR and It's one of the best game I've ever played!

I have one major question : Is it normal to be a level 6 character after 35 hours of play? One mission I got can only be played at lvl. 17, and I don't think I'll ever get to that level... I sleep everyday, since I've choose to be a vampire since I had my first visit of Lucien Lachance. I drank blood and sleep often, and I've explored a great deal of the map, but still I rarely level. What can I do?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
AIRic said:
Very sorry to bump this a second time, but I would really like to know how to level up in this game. It's weird! :O
Congrats of getting the game. Did you grab any mods yet? If so, which one? I am debating whether to start playing Oblivion or Arx Fatalis first.

BitchTits

RiverBed said:
I don't really know. and the problem with drinking blood is that you need to keep looking for people that are asleep. that and if you break into a house, any guard you talk to afterwards will automatically try to arrest you- as if they somehow knew what you did.

Only if you were seen - You can break into as many houses as you like as long as you don't already have a bounty (check that on your stats page) and no-one saw you.

dreadfulwater

aka morbidesque
hey, guys. I have recently aquired the Dawnfang/Duskfang sword in shivering isles. is this thing as awesome as it seems? I managed to kill 12 things and watched it switch to superior mode, also I love how it recharges itself at each day/night cycle. it seems to deal out some nice damage too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
so if i'm in the shivering isles.....is there any way to GET OUT? besides finshing that section of the game? for some reason, i want to bounce back to the normal game and finish some dark brotherhood quests.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
mattiewheels said:
so if i'm in the shivering isles.....is there any way to GET OUT? besides finshing that section of the game? for some reason, i want to bounce back to the normal game and finish some dark brotherhood quests.

yes, its quite simple to jump back and forth, you just go to the entrance and press x at the door ;)

AkuMifune

Banned
I was bored last week so I started a new game in Oblivion with the custom class "Serial Killer". I was just running around naked, sneaking into houses, killing people while they sleep, taking off their clothes, and then sleeping in the bed with them. I was having fun until my girlfriend happened to catch me. There was really no explaining it away, I was like "Oh! I'm just...well...yeah, you can see what I'm doing." :lol

AkuMifune

Banned
favouriteflavour said:
I just started and its kinda boring so far. It gets better when i kill more than just rats and goblins right?

It's kind of like a "Choose Your Own Adventure". There is a strong main story, but you have to be pro-active to follow it. If you like to have your hand held and the story spoonfed to you (as with many JRPG's), you probably won't like it very much.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm getting really close to finishing the shivering isles.

sheogorath is really well-written, and i love the guy who does his voice. i remember him from one of my favorites, shadow of destiny. anyway, SI definitely picked up steam after i started it again after dropping it from boredom about a year ago.

dreadfulwater

aka morbidesque
well, I finished the game a little over a year ago on pc. I never started Shivering Isles. A friend of mine just got a PS3 and I got him into Oblivion. he's hooked. I decided to start a new character on Xbox360, and I thought I'd be turned off by the graphics, but man, they still look pretty damn great on the console. it looks like there have been some visual upgrades as well. This game has sucked me in for the second time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Where is my fucking Shivering Isles on EU PSN, stupid Bethesda?!

I've been asking this for MONTHS, now.

Morbidesque said:
well, I finished the game a little over a year ago on pc. I never started Shivering Isles. A friend of mine just got a PS3 and I got him into Oblivion. he's hooked. I decided to start a new character on Xbox360, and I thought I'd be turned off by the graphics, but man, they still look pretty damn great on the console. it looks like there have been some visual upgrades as well. This game has sucked me in for the second time.

It's easy to do. Especially when you start a new character that's quite different from your others. It's like playing the game for the first time all over again.

Morbidesque said:
I've had the game for a while now but my saves got corrupted twice when my 360 went RRoD (5 hours in each). I've decided to start playing it again for a third time about a year ago and I did nothing but explore caves and fight in the tournaments. I've been itching to have another go at it with the same character, but playing the story this time.

Mister D said:
I'm having the same problems. I recently purchased the Shivering Isles DLC from the PSN store and started getting the same glitches and lockups. Now my save file with over 160 hours of playtime won't load. Every other file I have on the PS3 for the game loads but this one. It does the first load, then when it gets to the Oblivion load screen it just plays the music and hangs. It won't respond to anything but a hard reset or by turning the console off from the back. Am I fucked or is there some way to get this file loaded because I really don't want to start all over from scratch and I'm really pissed I paid for the SI stuff and won't get to play any more than one mission of it.
This is exactly what happened to me twice, and one of the reasons I hesitate to put any serious hours into the game.

mattiewheels

YEAH

i just went on another oblivion marathon after not playing for half a year, and i finally got all the achivements (except for the choice between mania and dementia achievement, grr).

i finished with the arena, and found out that the champion was a son-of-a-vampire. he was so sad about that that he didn't even put up a fight, just begged for death. and now i have this troll doll kid 'adoring fan' following me around now :lol :lol

i don't care what anyone says, this game is perfect in many, many ways. i'm gonna go dick around some more.

Amory

So, I'm hoping someone can help me. I was just playing the game over again, and I remembered the bloated float quest with the bandits and I was all "hey, i'll knock off that one quick before continuing on my way". So I get done with it and I get her to surrender, lock her in the room, and sleep on the bed to complete the quest. But when I'm supposed to wake up, the game freezes. I only use one manual save (outside of the autosave which triggered when i slept) and I used it during the quest on the ship whilst out at sea. So I'm gonna have to start over again. But is this a known glitch or is it my disk? Because I don't wanna start over again if it's just gonna keep freezing on me.

Thanks for any assistance!

Tr4nce

So, today I decided taht I had totally had it with FarCry 2, and somehow after a year, I put Oblivion in my PS3 and started playing again. So awesome. The sky is nice, and now I'm back in business, picking up where I left and gonna try to complete this game. Now I know why I don't like Fallout3 as much as Oblivion. Oblivion has MAGIC, set in a world of fantasy, while Fallout 3 is more gun/weapon orientated.

YYZ

WTF FCOM is still not at beta 1.00. Waiting for that before I try Oblivion on PC again. It's at 0.9.9 now.

I beat everything but the main quest, i really need to go back and finish this game. I have put so much time into it though that when I try to play it again i get sick of it within a half hour.

Double D

I still need to finish shivering isles. It's going to be weird going back after playing fallout. Someone make a vats mod, stat.

Top Bottom