• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Kordos said:
I'll take the bait.

The DB questline was certainly the best part -- the daedric shrine quests were fun as well. But for me, Oblivion was about smaller, discrete events that emerged from the free-form gameplay. Cresting a hill and seeing something interesting far away in the distance, sneaking around avoiding a castle patrol and overhearing a conversation, getting caught in the sun the first time as a vampire -- things like that.

Another really nice thing about the game is how easy it is to put it down and pick it up again 6 or 12 months later - something I vary rarely do.

But the game certainly isn't perfect, and the bar has been raised substantially since it was GOTY. Will be interesting to see their next endeavor.

I agree with all your points, and for me it was these little things that gave the game life. As excited as I am for the next Fallout, I really just want to receive any news as I can about Bethesda making a new Elder Scrolls. Do we have any news or expectations on that whatsoever?

Tr4nce

Holy shit GAF!

Traded my MotorStorm in for a used copy of Oblivion, which resulted in the fact that Oblivion cost me a lousy 3 Euro's!

Awesome, my first western RPG. Off to play now, see ya in 3 months :lol

Mallika

Just got around to getting this (I know, I know, but I had been sucked into the evil world of MMORPGs for a while). Still installing, haven't played yet, but I did see lots of people recommending various mods for the game -- like the mod that does 'no level scaling' and such.

So question: For someone who is getting her first concentrated taste of Oblivion, would you recommend grabbing some mods, or playing it as is first?

Mallika said:
Just got around to getting this (I know, I know, but I had been sucked into the evil world of MMORPGs for a while). Still installing, haven't played yet, but I did see lots of people recommending various mods for the game -- like the mod that does 'no level scaling' and such.

So question: For someone who is getting her first concentrated taste of Oblivion, would you recommend grabbing some mods, or playing it as is first?

Get a mod that fixes the amazingly messed up leveling system. Either one that gives you +5 stats every level, or another which I believe keeps monsters at set levels like a traditional RPG.

bengraven

I think I asked this before, but:

1) Anyone here kind of pissed that the new content has suddenly disappeared post-SI? I want some new content...

2) I'm in the SI with my main save, but I can't connect to the internet for a few weeks at least. Can I even play that save? Don't I have to be online to play all of the expansion content? Am I in limbo?

ckohler

Having put over 100 hours into the game (360 version), playing with leveling mods seems like a bad idea and could gut the game's longevity for you. If your enemies never level up along with you, wouldn't they'll all be pansies before you even get a decent weapon or powerful spells?

BitchTits

bengraven said:
I think I asked this before, but:

1) Anyone here kind of pissed that the new content has suddenly disappeared post-SI? I want some new content...

The Fighters Stronghold add-on was released post-SI, and around the time of SI's release, they said they only had one, maybe two, add-ons left to release, but that they would only be small ones (which the Fighters Stronghold is).

bengraven said:
2) I'm in the SI with my main save, but I can't connect to the internet for a few weeks at least. Can I even play that save? Don't I have to be online to play all of the expansion content? Am I in limbo?
No, you don't have to be connected to Live to play SI (or any other of the expansion content). :)

bengraven said:
I want some new content...

From the Bethesda blog (http://bethblog.com/?p=299)

"...I wanted to let you know that we are finally releasing the last piece [Fighter’s Stronghold DLC] of downloadable content we created for Oblivion."

It seems that there will be no more official releases from Bethesda. If you want new content you can always get the PC version. I'm still waiting to replay SI on my PS3 :(

The thread that keeps on giving. :) Back from the dead once more.

Lets not start up another debate over the "amazingly messed up leveling system" again. It's been done to death in this thread and we've gone round and round about it for at least two dozen times.

The leveling system is what you make of it. It's not perfect, but it's not as bad as someone would lead you to believe either. In the end, it does what it's suppose to do, and that's make the game a challenge for you at each level. I'd stay away from leveling mods personally, although there are plenty of other mods out there to play with.

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The thread that keeps on giving. :) Back from the dead once more.

Lets not start up another debate over the "amazingly messed up leveling system" again. It's been done to death in this thread and we've gone round and round about it for at least two dozen times.

The leveling system is what you make of it. It's not perfect, but it's not as bad as someone would lead you to believe either. In the end, it does what it's suppose to do, and that's make the game a challenge for you at each level. I'd stay away from leveling mods personally, although there are plenty of other mods out there to play with.

Yeah, I wish people would just let it rest. There is no winning this argument at all. The devs know how people felt and are improving it via Fallout 3 apparently and if you want to change it yourself, there are plenty of mods PC side to do so. It's just boring blather at this point.

I never heard of this Fighter's Stronghold. Will look into it.

gstaff

Yeah, Fighter's Stronghold is the last planned DLC we've got. Most of the team is now fully committed to Fallout 3 at this time.

rc213

Just picked this up as my 1st RPG game ever owned, Couldn't resist any longer. Any tips for a complete RPG noob? Any sites I should visit or things I should read? Should I play as a certain Race/Birthsign/Class?

Here is my character I created so far:
Race: Argonian
Birthsign: The Apprentice
Class: Crusader
Level 3

Game is absolutely beautiful although with some slowdown. I haven't done any quest and have just been exploring the wooded areas for like 4hrs. =P

Gibb

The PS3 GOTY Edition will probably be released in Europe in february 2008, according to Ubisoft Europe.

Is this version already available elsewhere?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally this thread got bumped. Now I can finally ask my question...

If I have the EU-version of Oblivion (regular version), can I still buy Shivering Isles from the US Store and be able to play it? If yes, can I also load the game as usual and start of where I last saved the game?

Thanks a bunch.

BigDug13

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul made the game for me. Leveling system, loot system, new quests/factions/enemies/armor/weapons/spells. The best thing is it didn't make the game run slower on my PC, like other leveling mods that I tried.

Krowley

Finally playing this too on the PS3 and so far it's lived up to my lofty expectations.

I'm just kind of taking my time and doing the quests I encounter in the towns. I've made level 8 and I haven't joined a guild yet. At the pace that I'm playing this, it will probably take me a year or more to finish the main quest, and I can see myself playing through with multiple characters and eventually downloading the expansion pack.

It's like morrowind with nearly every complaint or annoying element fixed along with beautiful graphics. It's exactly what I wanted it to be.

Tr4nce

Is there a faster, cheaper or better way to charge my Mage's staff, other than using the soul gems??

I'm such an Elder Scrolls noob.

Chris_C

Tr4nce said:
Is there a faster, cheaper or better way to charge my Mage's staff, other than using the soul gems??

I'm such an Elder Scrolls noob.

You can have them recharged with certain people in different mages guilds, or some mages in the arcane academy. Costs a small fortune though.

I'm 100 hours in, not big into RPG's but so far this is my game of the gen.

Anyone know what happened to Oblivion PSP, it was never officially canceled and last I heard Bethesda was just refusing to talk about it.

tak

Chris_C said:
I'm 100 hours in, not big into RPG's but so far this is my game of the gen.
I can relate with you, I'm not a huge RPG fan, but oblivion sucked me in. I've spent 140+ hours on my main character, and I still have not done a lot of the side quest.

rc213

Whoa, Some life in this thread. I am getting owned by random trolls appearing everywhere on my strolls through the forests looking for caves. I think I have done about 10 quests and the rest has been pure Cave Hunting. I'm loving it so far for my 1st taste of an rpg. Best $20 Doolars ever spent.

CRAP! Just got ambushed by 2 trolls, 1 wolf, 1 imp and freakin bear!!!! :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
onemic said:
Oblivion, by and far the most overrated game ever created.
(neutral) onemic
(Today, 08:36 PM)

Yoshichan

onemic said:
I really don't see how that matters.
I'll tell you why it matters. Your first post in this 10k+ topic is a troll post.

Victrix

*beard*
Dunno about the latest mods, I do know that there's some conflict with my bundle'o'crap I was using for a replay of Oblivion and Shivering Isles, causing CTDs...

Which makes me a very sad panda, because all of my mods were of the user interface enhancement and general usability/graphic niceness type stuff

... and there's really no easy way to uncheck them one by one to figure out whats causing the crashes. I'll probably have to do a clean reinstall and either skip the mods for SI, or just get a few of the more critical ones (ui replacement, maybe a couple others).

Drat I say :(

On the other hand... Oblivion piped from my new pc to my new plasma TV is badass in 1920x1080 :D :D

Tr4nce

onemic said:
Oblivion, by and far the most overrated game ever created.

That is not true and you know it. The only thing that pulls me out of the immersion in this game is the art style sometimes, like the Argonian people and their faces, but your statement is not true.

Ploid 3.0

I just really hated the leveling system. So easy to screw up and become too weak by playing how the class you picked should play. On PC this game must be awesome. Custom skins, better faces (edit), and a better leveling system all through mods.

How big is Nights of the Nine? I beat the main game - random quests and guilds. Also how big is SI? Do they have totally different assets? The normal cave types and outside world got old.

GhaleonEB

Ploid 3.0 said:
How big is Nights of the Nine? I beat the main game - random quests and guilds. Also how big is SI? Do they have totally different assets? The normal cave types and outside world got old.
Knights of the Nine is a faction. It's about six hours, and pretty fun. But for $10, it's a little short. A couple new dungeons, a few new weapons, one new set of armor.

I spent a good 60 hours in Shivering Isles, but I did nearly everything there. It's all-new territory, creatures, weapons, armor, characters, dungeon designs, etc. I thought the entirety of the Shivering Isles was as good as the best parts of the main game (Dark Brotherhood). SI is absolutely worth the purchase. I'd get that and skip KotN.

mandiller

How is the Game of the Year edition on the 360? It includes all the expansion stuff (like SI) right? Are there any other engine upgrades or extra performance? Does it run faster or load quicker?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
mandiller said:
How is the Game of the Year edition on the 360? It includes all the expansion stuff (like SI) right? Are there any other engine upgrades or extra performance? Does it run faster or load quicker?

Has all the small performance updates & bug fixes that have been available.
Has the Knights of the Nine & Shivering Island expansions, but NONE of the other downloads, like the pirate boat, magic tower, horse armor etc...

Besthesta still wants you to pay extra money to get the complete version of the game.

Onemic

Tr4nce said:
That is not true and you know it. The only thing that pulls me out of the immersion in this game is the art style sometimes, like the Argonian people and their faces, but your statement is not true.

Sorry for the late post, but I really do believe that oblivion is overrated. Not that I think the game's bad, far from it, I just think that the game isn't good enough to justify all the crazy praise it's gotten, especially when compared to morrowind a game leagues better than oblivion and yet never even got close to this amount of praise.

BTW if anyone here has the PC version of the game do you know how large the silgrad tower mod is? I keep getting different sizes from all over the place.

Lo-Volt

So I completed the main quest for Shivering Isles (the add-on disc for PS3, not the GOTY edition), and that means I got and kept some of the gear
and seals of office
afterwards. But after saving back in Cyrodiil and later returning to the game, I used the original disc by accident to load that save, not SI; all the items seem to be gone, and they did not return to my inventory when I put the SI disc back in. So I assume the items are permanently lost? :(

RiverBed

Banned
I was liking this game untill I got the vampire disease. vampire abilities are cool, but the damage from sunlight is a bitch. I don't want to keep looking for sleeping people to bite and the quest to get cured is even more of a pain. I am seriously put off. I tried downloading a saved file just to skip this but I only found one in gamefaqs and it was corrupted.

PS. this game is like medieval GTA.

Phthisis

Dear lord, what the hell did Bethesda do to this game? I popped it in to my 360 for the first time since August, and it prompted me to update, so I did, and now the game runs like absolute shit. Whenever it loads new areas, the game freezes for a few seconds, the audio drops in and out seemingly for no reason, and it never used to do any of that before.

Mindlog

Guled said:
Should I get the GOTY edition for ps3, or wait till next year when I build a new pc? Are the PC mods any good?

The PC mods really fix the game imho.

Leveling fixes, Scaling fixes etc etc and plenty of other content. My PC is old and sucks, but I still got Oblivion for it rather than my console.

Guled

Mindlog said:

Leveling fixes, Scaling fixes etc etc and plenty of other content. My PC is old and sucks, but I still got Oblivion for it rather than my console.
Alright thx. I waited a year, I could wait 6 more months.

Onemic

Mindlog said:

QFT

Almost all of oblivions huge problems are addressed through the PC mod community.

PC Gaijin

Does clearing the cache help with the PS3 version as well? I've been playing Oblivion on the PS3 for about 16 hours, and tonight I started running into weird glitches that I never saw on the 360 version. Mainly NPC character models floating in mid-air that I could not target but could walk though. Shortly after seeing these I went into combat with a wolf, and the game locked up tight. Frozen with music still playing. The PS button didn't work, nor did the soft power button on the front. Had to power cycle via the switch on the back. Is this just typical buggy Oblivion bullshit (I remember some freezing problem on the 360 version)? If it's my PS3...I'm going to give up on next-gen considering I just bought the PS3 because the 360 was so crappy in the reliability department...

After powering on again, I went into a cave and spent about half an hour clearing all the goblins in it. As I was heading back out, I fell off a ledge and ended up trapped behind a wall with no way out that I can see. Is there still a levitate spell in Oblivion? This kind of buggy stuff is annoying as hell.

Mister D

I'm having the same problems. I recently purchased the Shivering Isles DLC from the PSN store and started getting the same glitches and lockups. Now my save file with over 160 hours of playtime won't load. Every other file I have on the PS3 for the game loads but this one. It does the first load, then when it gets to the Oblivion load screen it just plays the music and hangs. It won't respond to anything but a hard reset or by turning the console off from the back. Am I fucked or is there some way to get this file loaded because I really don't want to start all over from scratch and I'm really pissed I paid for the SI stuff and won't get to play any more than one mission of it.

Phthisis

Dark FaZe said:
Is there any hope for Elders Scrolls V before the end of this gen?

Well Bethesda started work on Oblivion in 2002 (?) and the game came out in 2006. They started work on Fallout 3 in 2004, and it comes out in 2008. Perhaps if they started ES5 last year, they might make it out in 2010, but I would hope that the next Elder Scrolls is something suitable only for next gen (gotta keep advancing, after all).

Clevinger

Dark FaZe said:
Is there any hope for Elders Scrolls V before the end of this gen?

I thought I read a while back that they were planning to, but I'm not positive. I do know, however, that they're likely working on ES:V right now the same way they were working on Fallout 3 since sometime in 04. In that instance the main team was working on Oblivion and they had a smaller team working on FO3 in pre-production until Oblivion was completed, then the Oblivion team migrated to Fallout 3.

So I'd imagine ES:5 is in pre-production and will be in full production once Fallout 3 goes gold.

By the way, for anyone who cares, the game will probably be called Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim. Skyrim has been trademarked in the same way Oblivion and Morrowind were trademarked in the past (with full merchandise and other stuff indicating it's a numbered title).

onemic said:
QFT

Almost all of oblivions huge problems are addressed through the PC mod community.

Agreed. The only reason i really finished the 360 version was for achievements. Playing it on the PC was totally different. The leveling/scaling system weren't totally broken. Seriously it was like playing a totally different game.

Proc

Question: After have played, finished, and selling Oblivion for x360, is it worth it to double dip on the GOTY edition for the PC? Does the additional content in Shivering Isles and mod scene merit the steep $60 price tag? I say steep because most PC games don't cost that much and the title itself is quite old at this point.

Top Bottom