• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Deacan said:
For bandits to have Draedric armor you will have to be around level 20, so am sure you should be finding better weapons by then.

Still though, the whole CPU/NPC levelling scale in the game is screwed unless you mod it.

tak

davepoobond said:
::facepalm crying::

130 hours.

i just figured out you can grab stuff with L2.
I too must hang my head in shame; however, I have a different reason. I've put a 130 hours into my main character, and he is only level 16.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
tak said:
I too must hang my head in shame; however, I have a different reason. I've put a 130 hours into my main character, and he is only level 16.

actually its probably smarter to do that, but if its that you can't get any higher at all, then...wtf are you doing? haha, i'm like at level 26 at the same amount of hours.

Orodreth

davepoobond said:
actually its probably smarter to do that, but if its that you can't get any higher at all, then...wtf are you doing? haha, i'm like at level 26 at the same amount of hours.

I think i left my character at level 9 or something like that and must have spent like 50-60 hours playing and have like only 3 achievements.

Havoc said:
Thanks for the help.

Is there any way in-game to know the total hours I've been playing?

I think its detailed in each saved game.

disappeared said:
Still though, the whole CPU/NPC levelling scale in the game is screwed unless you mod it.

Very debatable. It depends on your approach and how you feel about the scaling to begin with. Still, we're at 12,000+ posts in this thread, and this debate continues to rage on.

Obviously there are ways that the can improve the scaling in the next Elder Scrolls game, and I'm sure they will. However, the scaling as is, does serve the purpose for which it was intended, even if it does feel a little out of whack at times.

I've purposed in this thread before that I'd like to see leveling based on geographical zones. Close to cities creatures would level, but not very rapidly, and they would cap out at much lower levels to reflect that those areas are well patrolled by guards. Further away from those areas, and the leveling is much higher/faster, signifying that you are out in the wilderness, and the creatures there are stronger and more challenging.

I guess we'll have to wait to see how the system gets tweaked, as I'm sure it's here to stay. Morrowind was a great game, but after a time you basically became a god, and nothing could challenge you. This was designed to prevent that from happening.

tak

davepoobond said:
no, I've actually avoided leveling up. It makes things a little easier on a few quest.

Dyno

Havoc said:
Can anyone give me tips on leveling up reasonably? I keep reading that the monsters always catch up to you in level. How often do you guys level up?

The character development system in the game is somewhat complex but in the end this makes it very exploitable. To make a truly powerful character in Oblivion one much develop a character that is good in everything (melee, magic, stealth) and one that earns a +5 to three attributes every time you level. This can be easily done using the Customizd Character Class option.

First thing to consider. There are 21 skills; 3 for each of the 7 attributes. In order to optimize your character your 7 major skills should represent all of the attributes. That means one skill for each attribute, no overlap. This will give you two minor skills per attribute, which is important for the second step...

Major and minor skills. In fact these terms are misleading. In order to make a powerful character the skills you plan on using THE LEAST should be major skills. If your 7 major skills go up slowly then you will level slowly. What this allows is for your 14 minor skills to go up many times. Once you do finally level, you should have +4 or +5 in at least three attributes. If you want to ensure this you can keep a tally on paper every time you level a skill.

For example; Strength has Blade, Blunt, and Brawl as the associated skills. Chances are you will want to swing a sword or axe rather than your fist when you choose to melee. So put Brawl in the major list. This way you can use any blade or blunt weapon at will and your character will not level. If your blade and blunt go up 5 levels each, then when you level you will have a +5 raise to strength if you choose it. Use brawl and your other major skills only when your minors have raised enough to get this +5. I recommend training and study books to quickly level you up once your minors have gone up enough to grant you +5 in three attributes.

This will give you a character that excels in all things. No quest will unachieveable by you. You will wear any armour, weild any weapon, cast any spell from any school, and sneak into any situation. Power-wise you will always be ahead of the competition.

Another trick, make sure to cast 'buff' spells (enhance attribute spells or night vision, for example) constantly in order to up your level. As the game goes on your mana will regenerate very quickly so you will always be able to have two or three spells continuously ongoing which will make you more powerful and quickly increase the level of your magic schools.

gstaff

jet1911 said:
I'm probably going to buy the PC version today, what are some good mod that I could download?

You could try looking at some of the mods we post over on the blog. The Akatosh Mod Mount is a really good one, as is The Lost Spires

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Very debatable. It depends on your approach and how you feel about the scaling to begin with. Still, we're at 12,000+ posts in this thread, and this debate continues to rage on.

Obviously there are ways that the can improve the scaling in the next Elder Scrolls game, and I'm sure they will. However, the scaling as is, does serve the purpose for which it was intended, even if it does feel a little out of whack at times.

I've purposed in this thread before that I'd like to see leveling based on geographical zones. Close to cities creatures would level, but not very rapidly, and they would cap out at much lower levels to reflect that those areas are well patrolled by guards. Further away from those areas, and the leveling is much higher/faster, signifying that you are out in the wilderness, and the creatures there are stronger and more challenging.

I guess we'll have to wait to see how the system gets tweaked, as I'm sure it's here to stay. Morrowind was a great game, but after a time you basically became a god, and nothing could challenge you. This was designed to prevent that from happening.
That's a pretty good suggestion. I fall squarely into the "current implementation of scaling is better than no scaling" camp, but I'd like some texture to it - pockets of weaker or stronger creatures and corresponding rewards in loot. Running into the odd paean along side the hulking warrior to smack down in one crushing blow would be enjoyable, as would be finally conquering a tough dungeon through smart playing and intelligent skill selection. We're in agreement that the world felt too uniform.

GhaleonEB said:
That's a pretty good suggestion. I fall squarely into the "current implementation of scaling is better than no scaling" camp, but I'd like some texture to it - pockets of weaker or stronger creatures and corresponding rewards in loot. Running into the odd paean along side the hulking warrior to smack down in one crushing blow would be enjoyable, as would be finally conquering a tough dungeon through smart playing and intelligent skill selection. We're in agreement that the world felt too uniform.

*Waves At Ghaleon*

The Hardcore Oblivion fans still can't resist this thread. ;)

Tunesmith said:
You get the engine update by simply patching the game when you're connected to Live.

You mean after you instll the Shivering Isles add-on...correct?

I've been meaning to pick up the expansion but just haven't seen it while I've been in stores. I've heard nothing but good things about it from all my friends who've played through it.

jet1911

Apharmd Battler said:
You mean after you instll the Shivering Isles add-on...correct?

I've been meaning to pick up the expansion but just haven't seen it while I've been in stores. I've heard nothing but good things about it from all my friends who've played through it.

No you just have to play the game when logged onto Live.

Also for maximum enjoyment I suggest choosing hand to hand as a major skill. Killing people by punching them in the face is really satisfying. :D

Sysgen

Dyno said:
T
Major and minor skills. In fact these terms are misleading. In order to make a powerful character the skills you plan on using THE LEAST should be major skills. If your 7 major skills go up slowly then you will level slowly. What this allows is for your 14 minor skills to go up many times. Once you do finally level, you should have +4 or +5 in at least three attributes. If you want to ensure this you can keep a tally on paper every time you level a skill.

Unfortunately this is true and it's not the way an Elder Scrolls game Player Character should be shaped. Bethesda broke their own game in the name of god knows what? Sold this off long ago and never finished a couple of story lines. One day I'll pick up the PC version and d/l a leveling mod. I once argued that I would never do such a thing and for purity sake play as the developoer intended the game to be played. Little did I realize that the developer couldn't be trusted to make decisions for their own game.

GreekWolf

Captain Glanton said:
Seeing this thread re-surface makes my heart yearn for some more Oblivion content.
You and me both. Obviously, I don't want anything to distract the world's mightiest dev team from Fallout 3, but I'll bet that if you stuck Steve back in a broom closet with a computer for a couple of months, he could crank out some brand new content for us.

You hear that, gstaff? Make it happen, or else we storm your house with torches and pitchforks.

JCBossman

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

Thats a Fantastic idea about the monsters around the cities being generally lower level. I would also like to see the game take into account your Enchanted items, as thats really what causes the MOST damage, try this give Rockshatter back to that chick on the farm THAN start a fight with her, unless you are over level 25 your dead:D

Quote:

This is NOT a BAD Idea, if your desire is to have the most POWERFUL Character at the END of the GAME, the FATAL flaw with this strategy is that thru MOST of the game you will be finding WORTHLESS SHIT LOOT, as loot also levels. Better to MAX out( or at least mid twenties) as FAST as possible BEFORE questing in earnest, using THIS technique: IF say a MAJOR skill of yours is Heavy Armor and its governing attribute is STRENGTH than work on Heavy Armor, BUT ALSO work on MANY minor skills with Strength as a Governing attribute, you ALSO have to pick TWO OTHER MAJOR skills to work out in the same way (with different governing attributes) and be sure to MIX them up so you don't hit the MAGICAL 10 points in MAJOR skills in JUST one area.

Sysgen said:
Unfortunately this is true and it's not the way an Elder Scrolls game Player Character should be shaped. Bethesda broke their own game in the name of god knows what? Sold this off long ago and never finished a couple of story lines. One day I'll pick up the PC version and d/l a leveling mod. I once argued that I would never do such a thing and for purity sake play as the developoer intended the game to be played. Little did I realize that the developer couldn't be trusted to make decisions for their own game.

Or, you know, you could just play the game, and no worry about getting +5 stat bonuses, or which skills level up when. That's exactly how I played it, and it didn't hinder me in the least. In fact, I had to learn, adapt, and change up my tactics as I went up levels to continue to advance. In that sense, the leveling system did it's job. It offered me a challenge all the way through. I've said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again. People need to stop obsessing over the stats under the hood, and just play the game as an RPG. It's really a lot more fun that way.

Captain Glanton said:
Seeing this thread re-surface makes my heart yearn for some more Oblivion content.

Agreed. And seeing all the old familiar faces in here, brings back memories too. :) Other threads have gone on to surpass this one, in terms of posts, but it's still my favorite. :D

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I really like that idea, and it's actually one I've thought about before - not just in Oblivion, but in a few sandbox RPGs before. It makes perfect sense when one thinks about it . The strong monster types wouldn't be seen anywhere near areas where powerful guards and large groups of people. No, they'd be waiting just off of that old path that nobody but you has treaded on in five years...waiting to pick you off.

And to Dyno, your leveling explanation makes perfect sense. I actually never considered that before!

I've been thinking about starting a new Elder Scrolls thread about what everyone would want to see in the next one, setting, monsters, quests, gameplay mechanics, etc. It's been nearly two years now, and most of us have had a chance to see what Oblivion's all about. So we know what to base our opinions on.

Yes? No?

BigDug13

jet1911 said:
I'm probably going to buy the PC version today, what are some good mod that I could download?

If you've already played it through once, you should definitely download Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Completely changes the game (for the better) and gets rid of the stupid "everything levels with you" aspect.

JCBossman

Banned
disappeared said:
I really like that idea, and it's actually one I've thought about before - not just in Oblivion, but in a few sandbox RPGs before. It makes perfect sense when one thinks about it . The strong monster types wouldn't be seen anywhere near areas where powerful guards and large groups of people. No, they'd be waiting just off of that old path that nobody but you has treaded on in five years...waiting to pick you off.

And to Dyno, your leveling explanation makes perfect sense. I actually never considered that before!

I've been thinking about starting a new Elder Scrolls thread about what everyone would want to see in the next one, setting, monsters, quests, gameplay mechanics, etc. It's been nearly two years now, and most of us have had a chance to see what Oblivion's all about. So we know what to base our opinions on.

Yes? No?

NO, They are working on Fallout 3, so a NEW Elder Scrolls game is NOT going to be in the works for awhile

jet1911

BigDug13 said:
If you've already played it through once, you should definitely download Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Completely changes the game (for the better) and gets rid of the stupid "everything levels with you" aspect.

Well I spent almost 150 hours on 3 characters on the 360 version. Never beat the main quest. :lol

But again I've never beat the main quest in Morrowind(+ addons) after nearly 300 hours. :O

I'll download it just to see how it changes the game.

Xenon

Well I have the PC version now and here is a list of mods that I read should be good fit together. Anyone have expirience with both OOO and Francesco's? They both seems to be the kings of the all encompassing mods. I am downloading OOO but am curious about F's.

+OOO 1.3
+Quest Award Leveling
+AF Leveling Mod
+Visually Enchanted - not sure what this one was, I assumed it meant Visually Enhanced Weapons
+No Psychic Guards (Harder fix- seems better than original)
+BT mod
+Color Map Mod

davepoobond

ok, so i jacked the Rumare Slaughterfish scales from Aelwin after i finished the Go Fish quest in Weye...

funny thing is that its considered a freakin quest item so now i can't use it (its a quest item and wont let me eat or mix it), sell it (its a quest item), or give it back to aelwin since he thinks he has them.

anyone know how i can get rid of it? :(

Ploid 3.0

davepoobond said:
ok, so i jacked the Rumare Slaughterfish scales from Aelwin after i finished the Go Fish quest in Weye...

funny thing is that its considered a freakin quest item so now i can't use it (its a quest item and wont let me eat or mix it), sell it (its a quest item), or give it back to aelwin since he thinks he has them.

anyone know how i can get rid of it? :(

Get put in jail. It's stolen, the guards should take it from you.

davepoobond

Ploid 3.0 said:
Get put in jail. It's stolen, the guards should take it from you.

i tried that without saving, and they did take the stuff.

but when i got out of jail after serving (i slept in the bed) they were still there. that happens for all quest items, it doesn't matter if its stolen or not.

when i get put in jail and then break out, am i allowed to select which items i take/keep or do they all come together?

i've never gotten arrested, i just paid the gold

Ploid 3.0

Ouch then. I hate passing so many items just to get to the armor hammer to repair stuff or something else. The item sort tabs don't list everything.

davepoobond

Ploid 3.0 said:
Ouch then. I hate passing so many items just to get to the armor hammer to repair stuff or something else. The item sort tabs don't list everything.

yeah, that's what i usually do. its just annoying, though. i wish i didn't steal from the guy now. cause his whole savings that i stole from him was only like 70 gold wtf is that.

The game I'm playing right now I'm trying to role-play the hell out of. My character is a good guy (the type that I want to craft into an aged hero who owns a cabin up in the woods after all his adventures are over), and I really weigh my options when it comes to quests and who I should do what for. I sleep at night, eat food, custom class, the whole works. It's fucking awesome. :D

Ploid 3.0

davepoobond said:
yeah, that's what i usually do. its just annoying, though. i wish i didn't steal from the guy now. cause his whole savings that i stole from him was only like 70 gold wtf is that.

lol I also did this and had the same reaction. I thought he had the mother load in that chest. I saved before I did it though and just loaded because it wasn't worth trying to sell the scales (didn't know about quest items at the time).

disappeared said:
The game I'm playing right now I'm trying to role-play the hell out of. My character is a good guy (the type that I want to craft into an aged hero who owns a cabin up in the woods after all his adventures are over), and I really weigh my options when it comes to quests and who I should do what for. I sleep at night, eat food, custom class, the whole works. It's fucking awesome. :D

I should try that after I finish my first play through. Sounds good.

Edit: Will read review. Totally sure I won't pick up the SI expansion disk though. This game is already overwhelming me and making me tired of some things that play over and over, but it's good at what it do.

Xenon

Holy crap, what a major frustration Oblivion PC has been for me. After spending a few hours researching mods I get everything all loaded and setup my 360 pad on my PC.

Well that was my first major mistake. It doesn't support the fucking thing! At least not out of the box. After searching I was able to find an ini hack to get it sort of working from Bethesda's site. Why they didn't just include it considering the changed the interface to work on a game pad I'll never freaking know. I still have issues mapping to the triggers...ugh. Oh and screw KB/M for anyone who suggests it! I still can't believe the shit condition of PC gamepad support, no wonder why the consoles are mopping the floor with them.

Aaaaaaaannyway, I start playing a little an I get a constant stutter. Its not framerate because I'm getting 50+ in the cavern. I drop the settings to low and still get the same stutter. I start looking for a cause. First thing I see was the usual update your drivers, especially sound. So I upgrade my video(7600GT) and then my SB audigy, whoops blue screen & reboot & reboot &reboot.... After an a few hours recovering regesrty and dancing, no moshing with my SB drivers, I get sound only if I have all drivers removed =\ any attempt to install the cards drivers = bluescreen/reboot.

So I rip the card out and install my MB's(GA-P35-DS3R) sound drivers, but they bomb out as well. No reboot but no sound either. Again I mess around with system restore, regedits and reloads until I have sound! Now I just need to repair all the collateral damage so I can have a working machine then its mission accomplished!

Once I have my PC back in order I see the Oblivion icon taunting me. Unfortunatly I cave and fucking run it. Same stuttering shit. I have too much time in to turm back now. Finding tons of possible fixes I start going through the ini line by line, tweaking. FPS up, stutters less but still stutters =(

All I can say is Im so happy I played the game on the 360 the first and was able to just play the fucking game without the usual PC bullshit

/rant [goes back to tweaking....]

Drek

Xenon said:
Holy crap, what a major frustration Oblivion PC has been for me. After spending a few hours researching mods I get everything all loaded and setup my 360 pad on my PC.

Well that was my first major mistake. It doesn't support the fucking thing! At least not out of the box. After searching I was able to find an ini hack to get it sort of working from Bethesda's site. Why they didn't just include it considering the changed the interface to work on a game pad I'll never freaking know. I still have issues mapping to the triggers...ugh. Oh and screw KB/M for anyone who suggests it! I still can't believe the shit condition of PC gamepad support, no wonder why the consoles are mopping the floor with them.

Aaaaaaaannyway, I start playing a little an I get a constant stutter. Its not framerate because I'm getting 50+ in the cavern. I drop the settings to low and still get the same stutter. I start looking for a cause. First thing I see was the usual update your drivers, especially sound. So I upgrade my video(7600GT) and then my SB audigy, whoops blue screen & reboot & reboot &reboot.... After an a few hours recovering regesrty and dancing, no moshing with my SB drivers, I get sound only if I have all drivers removed =\ any attempt to install the cards drivers = bluescreen/reboot.

So I rip the card out and install my MB's(GA-P35-DS3R) sound drivers, but they bomb out as well. No reboot but no sound either. Again I mess around with system restore, regedits and reloads until I have sound! Now I just need to repair all the collateral damage so I can have a working machine then its mission accomplished!

Once I have my PC back in order I see the Oblivion icon taunting me. Unfortunatly I cave and fucking run it. Same stuttering shit. I have too much time in to turm back now. Finding tons of possible fixes I start going through the ini line by line, tweaking. FPS up, stutters less but still stutters =(

All I can say is Im so happy I played the game on the 360 the first and was able to just play the fucking game without the usual PC bullshit

/rant [goes back to tweaking....]
Sounds like a vsync issue.

Been playing Oblivion on 360, its a decent game but I'm returning it and will pick it back up again later when I have a better video card on my PC. The level scaling is horrible. It just seems to me like Bethesda lives off the fact that no one else is making these kinds of RPGs anymore. Now we're left with one developer delivering a promising framework but busted pieces (don't get me started on all the bugs I've ran into). The fan base saves the game on PC so I don't see any reason to keep banging my head off the wall with the 360 version.

Phthisis

disappeared said:

Hey, I do that, too. I only accept quests that help people as I'm playing the melee hero.

Also, I have a question for anyone: I was doing the Molag Bal shrine quest (that's the one with the cursed mace you need to attack the old sad man with, right?) and somewhere along the way I lost the mace. It's not in any of my properties, and it's not in my inventory. This leads me to believe I dropped it somewhere in the wilderness by mistake. Am I fucked?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Drek said:
Sounds like a vsync issue.

Been playing Oblivion on 360, its a decent game but I'm returning it and will pick it back up again later when I have a better video card on my PC. The level scaling is horrible. It just seems to me like Bethesda lives off the fact that no one else is making these kinds of RPGs anymore. Now we're left with one developer delivering a promising framework but busted pieces (don't get me started on all the bugs I've ran into). The fan base saves the game on PC so I don't see any reason to keep banging my head off the wall with the 360 version.

I hate the loot scaling, but the enemy scaling is fine.
It makes the game play more like a adventure game, fits PERFECTLY for the game.

neoism

I know most of you guys are fans of the PC version but I've been wondering this for a long time so please answer it for me.

Ok, my questions is...Can I move my oblivion save to another 360 ???

I use my cousin's 360, we share 1 gamertag. I bought Oblivion, and my save so far is almost 100 hours and I still have yet to buy Shriving Isle, We have downloadable content for the game the Razor quest,and another I can't remember. If I use the Memory card(which is the only way I guess) to move it, do I have the buy the downloadable content before I can play my game, and also can I play it offline on my 360?

Syb

From memory you'll be able to play your game, but wont be able to access the DLC until you re-purchase it. Im not 100% sure on that, hopefully someone else can confirm it.

neoism

Syb said:
From memory you'll be able to play your game, but wont be able to access the DLC until you re-purchase it. Im not 100% sure on that, hopefully someone else can confirm it.

Are you not sure about the playing it offline, "thing" I heard if you buy anything online "DLC" and save a game after, it modifies your save and you can't play it offline.
thanks for the info you gave though. I guess if no one knows or tells the answer, I'll just go to WalMart and buy a memory card try it and see, if it doesn't work I'll send it back!

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Anyone else wanting to go back and play oblivion again lately? Myself and a couple others I know are playing or thinking about creating a new char and going through again\differently.

Syb

neoism said:
Are you not sure about the playing it offline, "thing" I heard if you buy anything online "DLC" and save a game after, it modifies your save and you can't play it offline.
thanks for the info you gave though. I guess if no one knows or tells the answer, I'll just go to WalMart and buy a memory card try it and see, if it doesn't work I'll send it back!
You'll be fine. I just disconnected my 360 from Live, deleted the 'Wizards Tower' and proceeded to start the game. It gave me a warning message which explained that the "save relies on content that is no longer present. Some objects may no longer be available."

I choose to continue, my save loaded up and I was able to play offline. Everything was normal except that the Wizards Tower no longer appeared on the World Map. Im using the GOTY edition btw.

The more I reminisce over this game the less I think I actually liked it.

It was just Generic RPG Adventure with a shitload of content packed in. The only memorable section was the Dark Brotherhood questline.

neoism

Syb said:
You'll be fine. I just disconnected my 360 from Live, deleted the 'Wizards Tower' and proceeded to start the game. It gave me a warning message which explained that the "save relies on content that is no longer present. Some objects may no longer be available."

I choose to continue, my save loaded up and I was able to play offline. Everything was normal except that the Wizards Tower no longer appeared on the World Map. Im using the GOTY edition btw.

Thanks soo much!! No one has been able to answer that question for me! Thanks!!

Kordos

IronicallyTwisted said:
The more I reminisce over this game the less I think I actually liked it.

It was just Generic RPG Adventure with a shitload of content packed in. The only memorable section was the Dark Brotherhood questline.

I'll take the bait.

The DB questline was certainly the best part -- the daedric shrine quests were fun as well. But for me, Oblivion was about smaller, discrete events that emerged from the free-form gameplay. Cresting a hill and seeing something interesting far away in the distance, sneaking around avoiding a castle patrol and overhearing a conversation, getting caught in the sun the first time as a vampire -- things like that.

Another really nice thing about the game is how easy it is to put it down and pick it up again 6 or 12 months later - something I vary rarely do.

But the game certainly isn't perfect, and the bar has been raised substantially since it was GOTY. Will be interesting to see their next endeavor.

Top Bottom