• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Vark

syllogism said:
I was under impression you'll only lose stolen items if are wanted and get arrested you , just like in Morrowind.

There's other ways but i wouldn't want to spoil the fun :D

bry-bry

Robobandit said:
yeah, or if you choose to pay a fine. However, what I was asking is that will the guards automatically know that you've stolen something. I don't mind if they catch you for some other reason and nab your stolen shit too. I was talking about if you hadn't done anything else and they just "knew" that you had stolen something when there weren't any witnesses to the crime.

Yeah, I'm going to guess that the previewer just assumed stealth mode meant he was free to steal anything, or he couldn't see any witnesses to the theft. But there must have been a witness in the church, otherwise a thief wouldn't be able to operate in cities (which obviously is not the case).

bry-bry said:
Yeah, I'm going to guess that the previewer just assumed stealth mode meant he was free to steal anything, or he couldn't see any witnesses to the theft. But there must have been a witness in the church, otherwise a thief wouldn't be able to operate in cities (which obviously is not the case).

yeah.. there may have been someone with invisibility lurking in the room somewhere who saw him lift the gem. (Like that npc that turned invisible and ran off to the guards)

bry-bry

Robobandit said:
yeah.. there may have been someone with invisibility lurking in the room somewhere who saw him lift the gem. (Like that npc that turned invisible and ran off to the guards)

Also, I'm fairly sure that Sneak is still a leveled skill, so the previewer may have just not been skilled enough to rob a public place like a church; whereas homes are probably easier pickings.

GreekWolf said:
3.6 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, X1900...

Probably two x1900 cards in crossfire.. and a Dell 30" or 30" Apple cinema display :lol

3.6 ghz = shit, too.. unless it is a dual core 3.6ghz processor.

Unison said:
Wow, that looks great... I wonder how much worse the 360 version looks.

peterrolleyeshuz6er.gif

jet1911

It's just a guess but since the X360 version is suppose to be the same as the PC version with everything maxed I'm sure it will look like that.

Unison

I am just skeptical / worried for no good reason, I guess. Oblivion seems on all fronts to be a great game and it's coming out so soon that I can't help but fear for the worst.

I have a 6600GT and have been flip-flopping about which version I should get (I've decided on the 360 version), and fear buyer's remorse. I really, really hope I'm making the right decision to go with the 360 version, but I wish I had some idea of what the game would look like / run like on my system (3.0 ghz P4 / 1GB Ram / 6600GT). :D

I've played the Elder Scrolls since Arena. I love them all and know there's way more to the series than just graphics. I can't wait for Oblivion.

Unison said:
I am just skeptical / worried for no good reason, I guess. Oblivion seems on all fronts to be a great game and it's coming out so soon that I can't help but fear for the worst.

I have a 6600GT and have been flip-flopping about which version I should get (I've decided on the 360 version), and fear buyer's remorse.
I really, really hope I'm making the right decision to go with the 360 version, but I wish I had some idea of what the game would look like / run like on my system (3.0 ghz P4 / 1GB Ram / 6600GT). :D

I've played the Elder Scrolls since Arena. I love them all and know there's way more to the series than just graphics. I can't wait for Oblivion.

Well it'll definitely look better than the PC version running on those specs, no question. However, why not just wait until release day and the flood of user impressions (there's bound to be people running the same specs as you) if you are so worried?

Unison

FallenOne666 said:
Well it'll definitely look better than the PC version running on those specs, no question. However, why not just wait until release day and the flood of user impressions (there's bound to be people running the same specs as you) if you are so worried?

Because you have to pre-order games if you want them on day one.

Obviously, the modding possible with the PC version is a factor in my purchasing decision too. Heaven forbid there's an equivalent to Cliff Racers in this one....

GreekWolf

Robobandit said:
Probably two x1900 cards in crossfire.. and a Dell 30" or 30" Apple cinema display :lol

3.6 ghz = shit, too.. unless it is a dual core 3.6ghz processor.
Sorry, I meant a dual core CPU. There's no way you're going to get anything close to that screenshot from anything less. And you're probably right about the crossfire.

So basically, a $3,000 machine. And I fully expect the 360 to comes close to that magnificence. Todd is still telling us that they match each other, blow for blow... and I would imagine that he knows what he's talking about.

It's been said time and time again by the devs, and now it's been confirmed in a number of previews, that there is virtually no difference between the X360 version and the PC version, as long as the PC version is very high end with a great video card. The IGN piece confirmed it as well. Buy the PC version if you've got a kick-ass rig and want the toolset. Buy the 360 version if you don't care about the toolset and want to play the game on a bigger screen and in a comfy easy chair. I don't think you can lose either way.

Unison

Kung Fu Jedi said:
It's been said time and time again by the devs, and now it's been confirmed in a number of previews, that there is virtually no difference between the X360 version and the PC version, as long as the PC version is very high end with a great video card. The IGN piece confirmed it as well. Buy the PC version if you've got a kick-ass rig and want the toolset. Buy the 360 version if you don't care about the toolset and want to play the game on a bigger screen and in a comfy easy chair. I don't think you can lose either way.

Awesome... I've been avoiding reading much about the game to avoid any spoilers.

I will buy the 360 version for my first run through or two. If I still want to play more and muck around with the toolset, I'll get the PC one later on (hopefully at a reduced price ... and hopefully closer to a computer upgrade. :D )

Ark-AMN

Banned
Man, I still wonder about my computer. I mean, sure its got a 256MB 7800GTX (no SLI though) and 2GB of 667Mhz DDR2 RAM, and the 360GB RAID 0 HD. But then I keep coming back to the 3.6Ghz non-dualcore P4 I got (**** Dell and their no AMD policy).

I was sold into not getting a dual-core by some people telling me there was no overall benefit from it speed-wise unless you're doing multi-tasking things. Now I think they were fooling with me. :(

Oh well, SteveMeister still assures me I'll be fine. Hope so :(

I need the PC version for the toolset (going to be great to make mods with good melee combat unlike Unreal 2.0/Source) and because I have no 360.

Ark-AMN said:
Man, I still wonder about my computer. I mean, sure its got a 256MB 7800GTX (no SLI though) and 2GB of 667Mhz DDR2 RAM, and the 360GB RAID 0 HD. But then I keep coming back to the 3.6Ghz non-dualcore P4 I got (**** Dell and their no AMD policy).

I was sold into not getting a dual-core by some people telling me there was no overall benefit from it speed-wise unless you're multi-tasking. Now I think they were fooling with me. :(

I need the PC version for the toolset (going to be great to make mods with good melee combat unlike Unreal 2.0/Source) and because I have no 360.

Umm...that's still a beat of a machine. I think it'll run fine on your system, and Steve would be the guy to know of anyone. If he's telling you it's fine, don't sweat it. A 3.6 Ghz processor isn't exactly a slouch. The benefits of duel-core are probably still a little ways away unless you are doing some high-end stuff. You'll be fine with that system.

Ark-AMN said:

I was sold into not getting a dual-core by some people telling me there was no overall benefit from it speed-wise unless you're doing multi-tasking things. Now I think they were fooling with me. :(

Well, Steve is a programmer.. so if anyone knows, it should be him.

It still isn't clear what kind of benefits will be available for dual core machines over single core, but I'd think that 3.6ghz and a card like a 7800 GTX will play the game the way it was intended. (Certainly not at that massive resolution, or maybe not even over xb360 resolution..) but it will be glorious :)

Ark-AMN

Banned
Well, I usually try not to run any games over 1024*768, even on my 17" flat-panel LCD. Text gets too small for me to read. :)

Ark-AMN said:
Well, I usually try not to run any games over 1024*768, even on my 17" flat-panel LCD. Text gets too small for me to read. :)

Then I'd say you're golden :)

my resolution is 1680x1050.. so I know my 7800 GTX will be hurting :lol

Ark-AMN

Banned
well, probably 1280 * 1024 would be ideal, as I think thats the recomended res for my monitor (a Dell 17" Ultrasharp 1704fpv) since its not a widescreen one.

GreekWolf

Gaming Steve's new podcast is pretty sweet. He describes a dungeon crawl early on in the game, where the water level slowly increases, until the lower portions of the cave are completely flooded. He's wading through waist-high stagnant water, slashing at these flying imps which are peppering him with fireballs from above. As he progresses further into the cave, he stands on the corner of a ledge, overlooking a large lake. All of a sudden, these giant crabs leap up from the water and begin to clip his ankles. He almost died from the encounter, because the attack caught him completely by surprise. After finishing them off, he continued his journey deeper into the dungeon, which branched off into several different sections. I don't think he explored every little nook and cranny since there was limited playtime. Eventually, he reached the very end of the cave and there stood a magnificent treasure chest. Now this is where is gets funny - as he cautiously approached the loot, he noticed that the rocks in the corner of the room began to move. To his horror, a "crab as big as a house" popped up out of the ground and began to lay the smack down on him. :lol
He described the experience as terrifying, but also gives a great sense of accomplishment when you finally defeat the beast.

Unfortunately, there weren't any exits aside from where he entered the dungeon, so he had to backtrack towards the entrance. He lists this as a minor annoyance, but it also encourages you to explore other regions of the cavern which you probably missed the first time through. He mentioned that it took it roughly 30 minutes to get to the treasure chest from the time he walked in.

Another funny situation occurred as he finally made his escape out of the cavern. As he walked out into the sunlight, he noticed a fight taking place right at the dungeon entrance. Apparently, an Imperial guard had been chasing a thief through the woods, and it had inevitably come to blows. Poor GamingSteve ( dense as he is ), didn't know who to help.. or even if he should interfere with "official empire business." After much deliberation, he pulled out his sword and attacked the guard, who looked at him like he was crazy and screamed, "NOT ME, YOU IDIOT! ATTACK HIM!!" So, they chased off after the thief, who raced to the top of a hill, throwing down insults at both the guard and GamingSteve. Eventually, they caught up to him and ran him through with their swords... and the Imperial guard was gracious enough to let Steve loot the bandit and keep all the goodies.

He emphasized that none of this was pre-scripted... it was all due to the incredible radiant AI. :)

Here's a link to the podcast - http://www.gamingsteve.com/podcasts/Gaming-Steve-2006-03-07.mp3

GreekWolf

Some other interesting comments from Steve -

When you include the 16 square miles of the outside world, plus the 200+ dungeons, plus the realm of Oblivion itself.... the entire size of the game is about the same size as World of Warcraft. And, of course, WoW was designed for thousands of players to inhabit at the same time. So you will always have plenty to see and do, every time you pop in the disk and load up the game.

He preferred the PC version over the Xbox 360 due to the "slightly" improved resolution. He's also more accustomed to using his keyboard and mouse, so it took him awhile to figure out how to use the 360 controller. Despite that, he said that the 360 version of the game looks phenomenal, and will be equivalent to the highest level PC on the market.

People who are griping about the removal of soft-shadows need to forget about it. There are still shadows on almost everything in the game on BOTH versions, and it looks incredible. There are even shadows on individual blades of grass.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
GreekWolf said:
People who are griping about the removal of soft-shadows need to forget about it. There are still shadows on almost everything in the game on BOTH versions, and it looks incredible. There are even shadows on individual blades of grass.

Yep, from everything I have been reading, the shadows are only gone from Havok based items. It would get kind of crazy on the hardware to have to render all the geometry for shadows in situations like in peoples houses and such.

With the grab command you could probably crash the game by dumping the rooms contents in front of a candle.

That being said, are creatures and people considered Havok based? I know you can drag bodies, but are they even going to have circle shadows?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GreekWolf said:
Gaming Steve's new podcast is pretty sweet. He describes a dungeon crawl early on in the game, where the water level slowly increases, until the lower portions of the cave are completely flooded. He's wading through waist-high stagnant water, slashing at these flying imps which are peppering him with fireballs from above. As he progresses further into the cave, he stands on the corner of a ledge, overlooking a large lake. All of a sudden, these giant crabs leap up from the water and begin to clip his ankles. He almost died from the encounter, because the attack caught him completely by surprise. After finishing them off, he continued his journey deeper into the dungeon, which branched off into several different sections. I don't think he explored every little nook and cranny since there was limited playtime. Eventually, he reached the very end of the cave and there stood a magnificent treasure chest. Now this is where is gets funny - as he cautiously approached the loot, he noticed that the rocks in the corner of the room began to move. To his horror, a "crab as big as a house" popped up out of the ground and began to lay the smack down on him. :lol
He described the experience as terrifying, but also gives a great sense of accomplishment when you finally defeat the beast.

Unfortunately, there weren't any exits aside from where he entered the dungeon, so he had to backtrack towards the entrance. He lists this as a minor annoyance, but it also encourages you to explore other regions of the cavern which you probably missed the first time through. He mentioned that it took it roughly 30 minutes to get to the treasure chest from the time he walked in.

Another funny situation occurred as he finally made his escape out of the cavern. As he walked out into the sunlight, he noticed a fight taking place right at the dungeon entrance. Apparently, an Imperial guard had been chasing a thief through the woods, and it had inevitably come to blows. Poor GamingSteve ( dense as he is ), didn't know who to help.. or even if he should interfere with "official empire business." After much deliberation, he pulled out his sword and attacked the guard, who looked at him like he was crazy and screamed, "NOT ME, YOU IDIOT! ATTACK HIM!!" So, they chased off after the thief, who raced to the top of a hill, throwing down insults at both the guard and GamingSteve. Eventually, they caught up to him and ran him through with their swords... and the Imperial guard was gracious enough to let Steve loot the bandit and keep all the goodies.

He emphasized that none of this was pre-scripted... it was all due to the incredible radiant AI. :)

Here's a link to the podcast - http://www.gamingsteve.com/podcasts/Gaming-Steve-2006-03-07.mp3

:eek:

TES4...

BuG

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Saw this over at Gaming Trend. This quest sounds completely awesome and certainly goes beyond the standard Morrowind stuff:

There is a side quest to look for Rythe Lyhandas, a painter. I came across it, while going through random open houses. Inside this one house was his wife. She told me he had gone missing while locked in his studio. She knew he hadn’t gone out, but when she checked the room, he was gone. She gave me the key (Guess I looked trustworthy?) and I checked the room. Inside was a special painting. When I clicked on it, it transported me into the painting. The first thing I noticed was that all the graphics had changed to look like an oil painting! VERY cool effect! As soon as I got in, I found the painter who told me that he used a magic brush for his paintings. This brush allowed him to paint from inside the painting and whatever he thought of, painted itself (there is a whole back-story he told, but we won’t get into it now). It seems that a thief got into his studio, stole the brush, locked the painter into the painting, went in himself, and then painted “Paint Trolls” to protect himself. Unfortunately for the thief, he couldn’t control them and he was killed. The brush is on the thief’s body, but the painter isn’t a warrior, so he needs you to retrieve it. He gives you six bottles of turpentine (to be used as “poison” for the trolls) and off you go. You have to kill all the trolls and get the brush from the body. The whole area has the oil painting effect and when you get near the body, you get a washed out effect that makes it look like the painting isn’t done. This added a real nice effect to the whole thing. It made it seem more “real” surprisingly. Anyway you retrieve the brush, get out and get a reward. If this is the type of creativity seen on other missions, I will be truly amazed. This mission was one of the most memorable moments for me.
Man fuck myself for lack of self control. That would've been totally awesome to find for myself in the game but because I totally suck I've gone and ruined it. Amazing, but still.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sp3eD said:
Yep, from everything I have been reading, the shadows are only gone from Havok based items. It would get kind of crazy on the hardware to have to render all the geometry for shadows in situations like in peoples houses and such.

With the grab command you could probably crash the game by dumping the rooms contents in front of a candle.

That being said, are creatures and people considered Havok based? I know you can drag bodies, but are they even going to have circle shadows?

my understanding is that all npcs, and major structures (including trees) will have shadows.

Borys

Banned
op_ivy said:
my understanding is that all npcs, and major structures (including trees) will have shadows.

My understanding is that only static objects have dynamic (meaning changing as the sun goes up) shadows.

Everything dynamic (that moves) has no shadows at all.

Of course that's a guess.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
damn, i am also worried about my PC...Athl 3200+, 2 GB Ram and Geforce 6800GS. 800X600 calling....

RegularMK

DrM said:
damn, i am also worried about my PC...Athl 3200+, 2 GB Ram and Geforce 6800GS. 800X600 calling....

My comp is pretty similar. Minus a gig of ram and switch the 6800 for an x800.

I did a lot of debating with myself and decided it'd be a good idea to go ahead and get the 360 version. I'm such a graphics whore, I know I'd end up forcing myself to run it at 10 fps on my comp.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Im going 360 version, i think this is the kinda game id like to plod around in while i have PiP showing my PC screen running the tv-tuner.

Also the achievements should help motivate me to explore a bit more, normally in these open ended games i just stick to the main story but sounds like i should branch out a bit this time.

Has anyone seen any good pre-order deals for PAL? 31st seems like such a long way away but i dont want to risk forgetting.

Nah, they've specifically said that all Actors(monsters and npcs) and tree canopies have dynamic shadows. Static objects have no shadows, and havok-enabled objects (like plates, forks, spoons, etc.) have no shadows.

anything that has a shadow can be disabled, of course... but you can't enable object shadows as they were removed completely.

Top Bottom