• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Here we go again! :lol

I only ask because I am highly suspicious of the official specifications.. plus, i'm curious what kind of stuff it takes to put out a picture at a resolution that would have to either span 2 monitors or come from a 30" screen :p

Robobandit said:
I only ask because I am highly suspicious of the official specifications.. plus, i'm curious what kind of stuff it takes to put out a picture at a resolution that would have to either span 2 monitors or come from a 30" screen :p

30" HDTV screen and X360 it is then! ;)

Kung Fu Jedi said:
30" HDTV screen and X360 it is then! ;)

hehe show me a tv that is currently available that can do that resolution (let alone the 360) :D

Not 360 bashing or anything, just having some fun and drooling over the screenshots :)

How many people here have had a chance to play it? Or see someone else play it? Cause Im really curious about how this runs outside of trailer montages.

Fallout-NL said:
How many people here have had a chance to play it? Or see someone else play it? Cause Im really curious about how this runs outside of trailer montages.

There has been a ton of previews over the past few weeks. Read them and you'll get plenty of impressions.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
There has been a ton of previews over the past few weeks. Read them and you'll get plenty of impressions.

Hehe, I trust the average GAF member more than the average (sponsored?) preview. But yeah, Ill have a look around :). Got a particular one you might wanna recommend?

Fallout-NL said:
Hehe, I trust the average GAF member more than the average (sponsored?) preview. But yeah, Ill have a look around :). Got a particular one you might wanna recommend?

Bethesda has a whole list of all the previews here. Of those, I've read Voodoo Extreme, GameSpot, IGN, GameDaily, and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal. They all offer some insights.

I don't know if anyone here on GAF, other than Steve or Vark, have actually played the game yet though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Bethesda has a whole list of all the previews here. Of those, I've read Voodoo Extreme, GameSpot, IGN, GameDaily, and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal. They all offer some insights.

I don't know if anyone here on GAF, other than Steve or Vark, have actually played the game yet though.

Kobun.

P.S. Don't trust his game impressions.

SnakeXs said:
Kobun.

:lol Oh yeah. Forgot about Kobun. He wrote one of the previews and was rather harsh on it if I recall correctly. Even creating a bit of a stir over at the Elder Scrolls forums. His preview was probably the most over the top about how bad the graphics looked at a distance, and how much loading the game had.

SnakeXs said:
Kobun.

Kobun = the new Demi? :lol

Read Kobun's preview of the gameplay (the "what I liked" section) and take the "what sucked" section with a grain of salt :)

Robobandit said:
Kobun = the new Demi? :lol

Read Kobun's preview of the gameplay (the "what I liked" section) and take the "what sucked" section with a grain of salt :)

How can you be certain though, he might be right :). Anyway, I think I can live with the loading, didnt bother me that much in Morrowind.

SnakeXs said:
Kobun.

Again, any particular reason why not to take him seriously? Was he a Fallout fan for instance and he is now carrying a grudge towards Bethesda for meddling with the Fallout 3 licence?

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Thnx, Ill check those out.

RegularMK

This game will simply be great. Anyone trying to stir up "the end is nigh" bullshit just wants attention.

Seriously. I have the utmost faith in this game.

Fallout-NL said:
Again, any particular reason why not to take him seriously? Was he a Fallout fan for instance and he is now carrying a grudge towards Bethesda for meddling with the Fallout 3 License?

Thnx, Ill check those out.

Kobun is a huge Nintendo Fanboy he even wrote a book about it. Thats why ppl doubt him. But i think its more of a case of him Overrating NIntendo games than underrating xbox games.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Fallout-NL said:
Again, any particular reason why not to take him seriously? Was he a Fallout fan for instance and he is now carrying a grudge towards Bethesda for meddling with the Fallout 3 License?

Simply how over the top it was, and how nothing else, both released media wise, and all the other hands on impressions, match up with his statements.

The draw-in everyone's talked about can be seen in one of the vids and isn't that big of a deal, and all the media shown sure doesn't have far off masses look like "blobs".

Edit: Plus he said visuals are supposed to be Oblivion's selling point, and that it failed at it. This statement is so wrong on so many counts that it would hurt to even begin getting into it.

Fallout-NL said:
How can you be certain though, he might be right :). Anyway, I think I can live with the loading, didnt bother me that much in Morrowind.

Again, any particular reason why not to take him seriously?

Like Kung Fu said, his preview was way over the top and different from all the other ones. It almost seemed like a completely different game that he was talking about.

In fact, his opinion was so off-base that GamePro actually called him out on it in their preview.

golem

cant wait to walk through this...

649_0001.jpg

one more at xboxyde

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2637_en.html

SonnyBoy

I so wish a game this visual calibur could be online. Id be happy with 2 player coop, Id love to be able to roam the world with a decent friend.

EviLore said:
Okay, the 7900GTX and 7900GT are out. 7900GTX is starting at $499, and the 7900GT is starting at $299 (newegg prices).

The 7900GT outperforms the 7800GTX, so it's my "buy to play oblivion well without taking out a loan" card of choice ;b

Does it out perform it enough to justify the $300 price point? If you're talking only getting a few more frames per second, I'd stick with what you have. But if it's dramatic in it's performance gains, go for it! :)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I have a 9800 pro right now. I'm just talking about the 7900GT in terms of value, since the 7800GTX goes for over $400, and the new 7900GT outperforms it for $100+ less.

Mrbob

EviLore said:
Okay, the 7900GTX and 7900GT are out. 7900GTX is starting at $499, and the 7900GT is starting at $299 (newegg prices).

anandtech has its news charts up here: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717&p=1

The 7900GT outperforms the 7800GTX, so it's my "buy to play oblivion well without taking out a loan" card of choice ;b

Before you buy this, does your motherboard have a PCI Express slot on it? The reason I ask is because you say you have a 9800PRO, and that is in an AGP slot.

EviLore said:
I have a 9800 pro right now. I'm just talking about the 7900GT in terms of value, since the 7800GTX goes for over $400, and the new 7900GT outperforms it for $100+ less.

Ahh... I see. You're going to see a huge improvement then. Perfect for Oblivion.

Birbo

jedimike said:
F**K ME IN THE GOAT ASS!!

I pre-ordered the CE last night while I was picking up GRAW. I'm a sucker for the "extras".

Did exactly the same thing yesterday...minus the goat ass part.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mrbob said:
Before you buy this, does your motherboard have a PCI Express slot on it? The reason I ask is because you say you have a 9800PRO, and that is in an AGP slot.

Yah, I'll be replacing the mobo. When I built my system I chose to retain the AGP slot (and in doing so keep my 9800 pro) because the best cards out were the 6800 series IIRC, and only the 6600 or the x700 were in my price range at the time...hardly a big enough leap in performance.

Karg

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh my god. I haven't listened to that in forfuckingever. DAMN YOU.

"What's superimposed?"

"Hey Goat, you have a knot back there"
"A what?"
"A knot."
"Ahh.....You better NOT mention that again you fucking cocksucker."

Karg said:
"Hey Goat, you have a knot back there"
"A what?"
"A knot."
"Ahh.....You better NOT mention that again you fucking cocksucker."

"YOU FUCK WITH ME, YOU GET FUCKED WITH."

How do you quote the sound he makes when he's trying to get back into the Pickup?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Damn, the evga 7900GT is already sold out at newegg. Got mine before that happened, heh. (the factory overclocked one is still available though)

Oblivion here I come ;b ;b

Unison

Is the 360 version of the game going to take advantage of the Hard Drive for those who use it? How so? How will the load times compare?

Have the developers commented on this at all?

Speevy

Banned
Unison said:
Is the 360 version of the game going to take advantage of the Hard Drive for those who use it? How so? How will the load times compare?

Have the developers commented on this at all?

Well, we know the Xbox 360 hard drive will allow you to download content from Xbox Live, but that's not so much an advantage over the PC version as it is just a nice thing to have.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TekunoRobby said:
PNY 7900GT is in stock at Newegg, jump on it fast.

If the evga I bought is available anywhere else for that price, I'd try to get that first. It was $20 more than the PNY version and 500/1500 core/memory instead of the normal 450/1320. Pretty big difference for the price.

Unison

Speevy said:
Well, we know the Xbox 360 hard drive will allow you to download content from Xbox Live, but that's not so much an advantage over the PC version as it is just a nice thing to have.

This is not an advantage over the PC version at all.

Specifically, though, I was asking to check if the 360 version would run faster for those who have the hard drive than for those who have tard packs.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Yeah, I was planning on picking up a higher clocked 7900GT for a friend. I didn't know the difference was that drastic though.

Speevy

Banned
Unison said:
This is not an advantage over the PC version at all.

Specifically, though, I was asking to check if the 360 version would run faster for those who have the hard drive than for those who have tard packs.

Well I know, it's a disadvantage because of mods. But I don't think anyone knows whether it will load faster, except the developers.

If I recall correctly, the devs have stated that load times would be less with the HD as it would do some caching of files to it. Steve or Vark would be able to confirm or deny I suppose.

Top Bottom