• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Why am I tempted to try this...?

How viable is first person? It seems pretty functional from what I've seen and actually makes the combat look more enjoyable.

After Amazon/ZOS screwed up my imperial edition preorder, fellow GAFer Var tracked one down for me at best buy, and I was able to get it. So this is owed...

Go Flyers!!! Beat Boston!

Good luck.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Yeah, will be. Anyone in the guild can invite though but I think I've been the only one to do it so far. I'm on now too if you are.

@ Karak: Sent you an invite too. Was that your character name or the @ID?

Sent invite to you too Trin

awesome! Thanks!!!!

Also, Mac users, the client is ACTUALLY GOOD. I know, right? Even on my 2013 MBA (intel HD5000) I get decent ( around 30) framerate with med/low settings.

Plasmid

Okay i have a few questions after playing around 8-10 hours, currently level 5 as a high elf Daggerfall covenant.

What is the fastest way to really get around the map? I've been stuck in daggerfall and Stros M'kai. I know there are waypoints and ships but they aren't going to a lot of places.

Where can i get magic staves? Or should i be relying on hot key spells over my staff? I haven't seen any real ways to heal with spells other than restoration staves.

Whats the fastest way to really get higher levels? I'm trying to round out my High elf with magic & one and two hand weaponry but really dunno where to start. Most of the quests i'm doing are a little higher than my current level.

Alur

I caved and bought this after skipping like four or five beta weekend invites due to bad word of mouth reviews. Here's my thoughts after a day of going at it:

I've only got a pair of level 6's, but the game feels pretty good. The graphical complaints are unfounded, IMO, I think it looks great. The quests are probably the second best I've seen in an MMO behind SWTOR's main questlines, and the "discovery" of quests instead of having them handed to you is a nice shift back to EverQuest style MMO questing.

I saw someone a few pages back say the game is much harder than other "modern" MMOs and I'd have to agree. Your abilities can't be spammed (in fact, I've found I can only use mine on my sorcerer 4-5 times tops without a pause), you have to dodge roll out of the ick (like Wildstar in this regard), and unlike most MMOs it isn't a cake walk taking on 2 or 3 mobs at once. You will die.

In short, along with the sense of wonder from a new MMO, you also have a real sense of danger in that you can't blindly run into and through random NPCs. I dig only having five abilities (granted I have all of 6 or 7 tops at level 6 with each skill tree leveled up to the max it can be at that point), and the variety of cosmetic options is nice for character creation.

I have no real complaints as of yet, excepting that massive 22 GB download entry barrier and the fact that I went in with absolutely no clue what classes heal or tank and/or which are considered the "best" in the initial build. I still don't know. I've played pretty much every MMO that's came to market excepting GW2, and several long, long term (EverQuest, WoW, Rift, SWTOR) and I'm flabbergasted at all the complaining I heard for this game.

As I said, I'm early in ESO, but it seems to be a pretty nice entry into the MMO market. $60 is a steep entry fee, indeed, but the negative narrative surrounding an MMO you can play for months asking $60 versus a game you'll beat in a week costing $60 is ridiculous.

Google

but the negative narrative surrounding an MMO you can play for months asking $60 versus a game you'll beat in a week costing $60 is ridiculous.

I'm not sure the negativity surrounding the game comes exclusively from the $60 price point.

It's the combination of the $60 entry fee and the $15 a month subscription fee.

Karak

Okay i have a few questions after playing around 8-10 hours, currently level 5 as a high elf Daggerfall covenant.

What is the fastest way to really get around the map? I've been stuck in daggerfall and Stros M'kai. I know there are waypoints and ships but they aren't going to a lot of places.

Where can i get magic staves? Or should i be relying on hot key spells over my staff? I haven't seen any real ways to heal with spells other than restoration staves.

Whats the fastest way to really get higher levels? I'm trying to round out my High elf with magic & one and two hand weaponry but really dunno where to start. Most of the quests i'm doing are a little higher than my current level.

Around the map is either a horse, the shrines, or the boats. Boats go fucking everyone fairly quickly but many places are quest bound.
Fast and leveling don't go hand in hand with this game. You don't actually level fast. That is pretty much one of the larger things setting it apart. You can level well, and somewhat quickly but there isn't anything that comes even close to past games leveling speeds that I have found.

Wounded

People honestly say it's ugly? I took a couple of (resized) screens. I think it looks great!

tVtwShO.jpg

iMLANvt.jpg

Alur

I'm not sure the negativity surrounding the game comes exclusively from the $60 price point.

It's the combination of the $60 entry fee and the $15 a month subscription fee.

Still ridiculous, IMO. You'll get more out of this in the free month than most games you shell out $60 for. The $15 is optional if you wanna continue, and it's not that difficult to get $15 worth out of a game when you're already used to spending $30-60 depending on when you purchase a different one.

Lyncei

Banned
Still ridiculous, IMO. You'll get more out of this in the free month than most games you shell out $60 for. The $15 is optional if you wanna continue, and it's not that difficult to get $15 worth out of a game when you're already used to spending $30-60 depending on when you purchase a different one.

Its funny how short the memory span of society is. $60 + $15 recurring has been a standard for major MMOs for years, and now that f2p is becoming a thing everyone's forgotten that most of the good MMOs in the past all used that exact same price plan.

I'm a big supporter of a decently handled f2p model but with a game of this size I can't blame them for being hesitant to try f2p. Will it get there eventually? Sure, just like every MMO will, but for now this really isn't that big a shock.

Var

After Amazon/ZOS screwed up my imperial edition preorder, fellow GAFer Var tracked one down for me at best buy, and I was able to get it. So this is owed...

Go Flyers!!! Beat Boston!

Good luck.

Like we will need luck lol

We will....

Finally got my computer back up and running, looking forward to sitting down and playing with the girlfriend. I'm loving the fact that we are both playing Templars, but that I'm going heavy armor with two handed weapons, and shes going light armor and focusing on spells and healing. Pretty awesome that the classes have a level of diversity in them that allows for completely different play styles.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
hmm, I thought the fake fullscreen mode would bother me way less than it's actually doing, in fact I'm on the verge of quitting and waiting to see if they actually implement it because honestly, I can't fathom the reason behind its absence. I may be overreacting but I love my games to have a real fullscreen mode, hell I havent seen a game without it since probably 1992, why the hell doesn't ESO have it?

hmm, I thought the fake fullscreen mode would bother me way less than it's actually doing, in fact I'm on the verge of quitting and waiting to see if they actually implement it because honestly, I can't fathom the reason behind its absence. I may be overreacting but I love my games to have a real fullscreen mode, hell I havent seen a game without it since probably 1992, why the hell doesn't ESO have it?

No fullscreen? What an odd choice of a thing to omit.

Currygan

No fullscreen? What an odd choice of a thing to omit.

yeah, I checked the web and found very few posts stating this issue so either it's the norm for ESO and everyone is playing in a borderless windowed mode or we're just a bunch of unlucky ones who cant figure out what to do with the settings

Currygan

No, you're right. They've stated it's coming, we just don't know when.

http://imgur.com/4QWS5IK

Is it for performance reasons?

was that your message? TY either way, this relieves me a little bit, and also the fact we're all playing the same BW mode. I thiought more people would consider it an issue, but apparently it's just a bunch of us who are bothered by it, lol

was that your message? TY either way, this relieves me a little bit, and also the fact we're all playing the same BW mode. I thiought more people would consider it an issue, but apparently it's just a bunch of us who are bothered by it, lol

Not mine, someone from the ESO subreddit.

Man, I can't make it go away. I wonder if it is an AMD issue. I'm trying to ignore the tearing , but I just keep staring at it

Try two different things:

1) Disable Vsync in AMD and in-game.

if that doesn't work, try

2) Change your desktop theme to Windows Aero.

Not mine, someone from the ESO subreddit.

Try two different things:

1) Disable Vsync in AMD and in-game.

if that doesn't work, try

2) Change your desktop theme to Windows Aero.

Appreciate the suggestions. Switching over to Aero seems to have done the trick. So not only am I now getting a silky smooth frame rate, but I also get to enjoy a nice, mid-western sunset on my desktop

Appreciate the suggestions. Switching over to Aero seems to have done the trick. So not only am I now getting a silky smooth frame rate, but I also get to enjoy a nice, mid-western sunset on my desktop

hah, enjoy that sunset.

Weird, right? It's actually a suggestion I got from the official forums. Apparently Aero has some sort of forced v-sync, which helps since the game runs borderless. It seems the Vsync bug is affecting some AMD cards but not all.

Subxero

I would appreciate a invite to the NA guild. I'm playing AD now but I have a second on the correct faction too.

User @ BloodAngel

Google

As with everyone else, I'd love an invite to the guild. Just going through the tutorial right now and would love to have some fun with you people tonight.

North America
name: googl

Google

Hah. The Prophet's voice actor changes as soon as you leave The Tutorial space.

Weird. I guess they couldnt afford to keep that AAA talent on staff for the whole game?

Nice use of John Cleese though.

elektrixx

Banned
I played a little, but I don't think this is for me. So far it's essentially Skyrim with other people unrealistically running around.

Karak

Weird. I guess they couldnt afford to keep that AAA talent on staff for the whole game?

They rebuilt some of the tutorial at a later time.

SZips

It changes back to Michael Gambon after that. They had to re-work a lot of the opening of the game based on feedback during the beta and probably didn't have time to get Gambon back to record those three or so new lines.

Google

It changes back to Michael Gambon after that. They had to re-work a lot of the opening of the game based on feedback during the beta and probably didn't have time to get Gambon back to record those three or so new lines.

Good. I was enjoying imagining the crime-boss from Layer Cake telling me what's up.

It's not ridiculous. They justified it by saying that the content that they would add later is what the $15/month is paying for but don't explain what that is. THAT IS ridiculous. I'd have bought this game straight up at their $80 (still very questionable) 'Imperial Pack' easily... but no way i'm paying for a sub these days, there's no way it's worth it.

What exactly is the difference between windowed full screen and true full screen?

Top Bottom