• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Atomski

Bummed when I realized that you can only use 6 spells at a time... seems really low for a MMORPG. Probably because the console focus?

Giggzy

Bummed when I realized that you can only use 6 spells at a time... seems really low for a MMORPG. Probably because the console focus?

That's probably why. Although, once you hit level 15 you get to swap between two different weapons which gives you access to 12 spells at once.

Jira

Not really, every MMO other than FFXIV:ARR (obvious time constraints) since SWTOR have focused more on good combat instead of whack-a-mole trading blows and it all be based on your stats versus skill. The days of 5 hotbars and 40+ skills are over and the only reason you still see them from time to time is we're still getting MMOs that started development before WoW even hit its peak (SWTOR/FFXIV).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not really, every MMO other than FFXIV:ARR (obvious time constraints) since SWTOR have focused more on good combat instead of whack-a-mole trading blows and it all be based on your stats versus skill. The days of 5 hotbars and 40+ skills are over and the only reason you still see them from time to time is we're still getting MMOs that started development before WoW even hit its peak (SWTOR/FFXIV).

6 is still too little (5 if you dont count the ultimate) even in your scenario. Should be 10 like GW2, split between weapon and class spells, since they use a similar system with weapons having their own spells

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well, lvl 26 and the first boss in banished cells destroyed me. guess you cant really solo early dungeons, at least not until really high level

edit: I just thought of something, do you stop getting xp on class specs or weapons when youre 50 since youre not getting any more xp yourself? because if so I might have ruined my character by trying to level too many things (for example I only really use resto stuff when im grouping in dungeons, which happens rarely)

One of my few irks with this game is some of the skill animations are really bad. Just about everything of templars is horrible where as sorcerer and DKs look great. Weapon skill buffs also look pretty bad.

Part of why I made a sorc tank is because templar was putting me to sleep with its aesthetic.

Rhaknar

hmm...deleted my lvl 12 sorc because A) I wanted to change to the guilds alliance, B) I wanted to change race and C) when I did the same with my Templar I got back to 12 really fast...

...but now im struggling to find the will to level from the start >_> Also, everytime I remember that in order to use both pets (which is what I want) I need to waste 2 of the 5 slots I just get completely bummed out. I was really hoping I could wack those on a second weapon set, when I found out you cant and they despawn when you change weapons I was crushed :/

So... European maintence had no patch. AKA: final main story quest in coldharbour is still broke preventing every player from advancing to veteran content. No one bother rushing to 50 this weekend, trust me. Youll just be standing in a room with everyone else praying for this to be fixed lol

ouch

Somnia

So... European maintence had no patch. AKA: final main story quest in coldharbour is still broke preventing every player from advancing to veteran content. No one bother rushing to 50 this weekend, trust me. Youll just be standing in a room with everyone else praying for this to be fixed lol

Wanny

Well I find myself wanting to play more once I get done with work today so this game is certainly effective somewhat -_-

Munba

When i put my Game Registration Code into the account, it says 'invalid code'. This is a 'common' error around?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I think that is a part of the game that really helps drive the Elder Scrolls feel. Minimalist UI, simplistic design and great questing/PvE from the single-player titles. Obviously Zenimax has added in their own flavours of touch like PvP, and the addition of 6 skills (12 at 15) keeps the flow of gameplay without getting too hectic.

It does get a bit annoying picking and choosing what to use, but I guess that also opens up new ways of playing because you may fancy trying a new spell and be like "that was actually really cool, I'll slot it in!"
6 is still too little (5 if you dont count the ultimate) even in your scenario. Should be 10 like GW2, split between weapon and class spells, since they use a similar system with weapons having their own spells
Good god I hope Zenimax don't listen to suggestions like that. To me, this is what I hated the most about Guild Wars 2 because it felt like they locked me out of choice and designing the character how I want. Honestly this is the only way an Elder Scrolls game can work, albeit I wouldn't mind an extra slot or two. But expanding to 10 and than restricting slots to class/weapons would be the death of Elder Scrolls' freedom. Boo urns I say.

SparkTR

So for bugged quests do we just wait until the devs fix it? I need to talk to a character but the quest compass leads me to empty space.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So for bugged quests do we just wait until the devs fix it? I need to talk to a character but the quest compass leads me to empty space.
Yes, or try it when the servers come back up and see if it reset. Most bugged quests though will be fixed during the next few weeks, do remember that it is only the second week of live.
When i put my Game Registration Code into the account, it says 'invalid code'. This is a 'common' error around?
That is not normal. Ensure its written out correctly, and that you are entering the proper game key. If you bought the standard edition there should only be one key, however if you bought the Imperial one, you'll get two: game and Imperial code.

Munba

That is not normal. Ensure its written out correctly, and that you are entering the proper game key. If you bought the standard edition there should only be one key, however if you bought the Imperial one, you'll get two: game and Imperial code.

I have the game code and the Explorer Pack code. I put the game code first but still receive that error. Sent a mail to them... hope in a fast reply.

Holy Shit! I played at length for the first time since I received the game on Wednesday. I seriously thought I would end up fighting a few baddies and getting some stupid boring fetch quests. I ended up having to take my sleeping meds so I wouldn't stay up all night! LOL! What a game!! The early intro quest really gets you drawn in! I can't wait to play tonight! Also, playing in 3D is an amazing experience! The graphics are the best yet on any photoreal"ish" MMO. I love the way they show the marker to your quests objective and how it's marked as (above/below). I love the quest recap button "T". I love how your UI isn't cluttered and elements eventually fade away as you explore. The game is just really really polished and well done so far.

-M

Giggzy

I haven't been able to play much the past few days, but I am counting down the hours until I can leave work and play deep into the night.

I think I want to start building into a tank spec so that's what I'll be working on

How so?

To give you the quick and dirty, the biggest change for me was the collision detection that they implemented towards the end of beta. Combat before this change felt very 'floaty' and without actual feedback. The detection system now gives weight behind your blows and even though it's far from perfect, it gives the combat a very responsive feel that is close to GW2's fantastic action feel.

Beyond that, the truth is that:

a) the game is a slow burner, initially. Not sure why this was done, but the game does take maybe a good 2-3 hours before things start falling into place.

b) people have different expectations going in and weren't able to adapt to what the game was presenting. Truthfully, the game is a pure blend of MMO and ESO. Obviously, some sacrifices have to be made in both areas to get a blend that works. This is honestly one of the more different feeling MMOs i've played and it really took me a bit to shake off my expectations and notions for tropes that have existed in the MMO realm for years.

I'll give a better writeup once I put more hours in, but I hope that answers your questions. Obviously, this is only with about ~17 hours of playtime, and I have no experience with PvP yet.

Some quick things I love that old school people should love:

+ No auction house. You want to sell? Time to do things the old-fashioned way. Luckily, people are already forming trading guilds that allow people within those guilds to trade within the guilds market. It's pretty awesome and reminds me a little bit of SWG.

+No quest hubs. Want to find quests? Go out and look for them! Sure, cities usually have quests, but a majority of quests are found by just stumbling on them, like ESO games.

+The game is HARD. I can't remember the last time i've died so much in an MMO.

+Yes, there are "hidden" dungeons in the map that you can stumble onto.

+Exploration is not only great, but encourage. From EXP to hidden shards, this isn't a simple linear path. Honestly, a game hasn't felt this great exploring since EQ for me.

+Crafting is amazing.

ES definitely has quest hubs. Every city is a quest hub.

Teletraan1

Banned

It is handled a bit differently here. Major cities will have a few quests but it is a far cry from go to a little outpost that hands out 5 quests, complete them and get a quest that sends you to the next little outpost that hands out 5 quests etc. Here you have to explore to find quests. It is much more satisfying imo.

Tumas77

Neo Member
I have not had that much of a chance to play. But from what I did get to play, I am addicted. Just a great a game with minor flaws.

ohNOitsRO

I love the limited skill slots

IMO, the 14 action bars and 600 bullshit skills you have in other MMO's doesn't make a game better..

ESO is a perfect example of "less is more"

I just can't agree with that. At the very least, there has to be a consensus that if one were to consider ESO's cities "quest hubs," they are some of the least quest-filled cities in MMOs. As was mentioned, the amount of quests in a city, weighed against the amount of quests found outside of walls, is pretty staggering for a "theme-park" MMO.

Alur

You haven't gotten to any quest bugs yet, I'm guessing. =p

I've hit 21 on my EP DK and 10 on my AD NB and I've only encountered one and I'm not entirely sure it wasn't my fault to begin with. I keep dreading the eventual bug, but so far so good.

IMO, the 14 action bars and 600 bullshit skills you have in other MMO's doesn't make a game better..

Yeah, I'm with you. The small skill bars are definitely one of the best things about this game. I am not a big fan of needing 15-20+ hotkeys due to including situational abilities like we had in WoW/SWTOR and other MMOs.

ESO lets me use my Naga solely for abilities which is pretty sweet, as I can keep the hotkeys mapped by the game for toggling quests and talking to NPCs, etc.

If ESO towns/cities are quest hubs, they are undoubtedly the smallest quest hubs in an MMO I've played. I get far more quests just wandering in the field searching for skyshards. I don't know what you'd call it...quest centers? There's a clear starting point for each area, I agree, but that's to be expected I guess.

Not really in the same sense as most MMOs. Each town has their main "objective" quest and a few side quests that can be accomplished at the same time as the main objective, and then each objective generally gives you a breadcrumb to head to the next town.

Still a hub, sort of, but there are way more quests out and about that you'd miss if you didn't walk around and explore.

Alur

For all the positives post-launch, we haven't seen much activity in this thread versus a few of the other MMO releases. Is this a product of all that bad press and word of mouth in beta, or just MMO fatigue in general on GAF? Probably both, I guess.

I'm also shocked we only have 79 folks in GAF on the NA server. Do we have a lot of folks playing other factions, or is that a near representation of all of us? Just seems like as much as everyone is enjoying the game we'd have more folks coming into the fold.

Rhaknar

I think that is a part of the game that really helps drive the Elder Scrolls feel. Minimalist UI, simplistic design and great questing/PvE from the single-player titles. Obviously Zenimax has added in their own flavours of touch like PvP, and the addition of 6 skills (12 at 15) keeps the flow of gameplay without getting too hectic.

It does get a bit annoying picking and choosing what to use, but I guess that also opens up new ways of playing because you may fancy trying a new spell and be like "that was actually really cool, I'll slot it in!"

Good god I hope Zenimax don't listen to suggestions like that. To me, this is what I hated the most about Guild Wars 2 because it felt like they locked me out of choice and designing the character how I want. Honestly this is the only way an Elder Scrolls game can work, albeit I wouldn't mind an extra slot or two. But expanding to 10 and than restricting slots to class/weapons would be the death of Elder Scrolls' freedom. Boo urns I say.

to each its own, as opinions are what they are, but I dont understand this argument at all. freedom? this is the freedom in this game with 5 slots. For me that is.

Been playing my templar with bow. using 2 weapon spells, poison arrow and volley of course, with snipe going in when I have enough bow xp. then a couple of templar spells.

Ive been a bit bored of him lately so I wanted to play a sorc, so I make a sorc, and go to use a bow... so my sorc with a bow would use... poison arrow, volley and snipe, and then 2 class spells >_> its almost the same char as my templar would be.

Not to mention, this theory that this means theres no cookie cutter builds... at the sacrifice of having fun with the classes, give me cookie cutter everyday. 5 Slots gives me no freedom at all, you talk about freedom, but just like any othe game, in the end, there are spells 99% will use. "everyone" will use snipe and volley with bows, "everyone" will use the spiky armor with DKs, "everyone" will use the stabby stabby spear move with templars, because they are just good spells. Sure you can say "well I dont use it youre wrong!", but you could say the same about any game if you wanted to be different just for the sake of being different.

5 slots is just not enough for versatility in a give spec. I do NOT want 40+ like WOW, I dont think anyone does. but 5, when usually there will be 2 or 3 that, lets face it, are "mandatory", leaves no wiggle room at all for the so called non-cookie cutter buulds in my opinion.

The weapon switching system would be good for that, and in half the cases it is, but then the whole system crumbles when spells that you cast with the previous weapons despawn when you switch, like armors and especially sorc pets.

At the end of they day, you can call this "hating" just like I could call your side "defense force", but the fact is, for me, its slowly killing the game (maybe not so slowly). I want to have fun with my classes, and 5 slots doesnt let me have near as much as I would (with sorcs being the main offender, that class is completely broken for what I want out of it, which is really bumming me out)

we have a saying here which translates to something like "8 or 80", basically, its always the extremes. Everytime I see people saying 5 isnt enough, out comes the "i dont want 100 slots like wow" argument... dude there IS a middle ground, which for me would be 10...maybe 8. if less is more, why not 3 then? why not 2, a weapon spell and a class spell, boom done. Meh ill leave this at "to each its own" because its pointless to argue, like I said, this boils down to "youre just hating" vs "youre just defense forcing"

Somnia

For all the positives post-launch, we haven't seen much activity in this thread versus a few of the other MMO releases. Is this a product of all that bad press and word of mouth in beta, or just MMO fatigue in general on GAF? Probably both, I guess.

I'm also shocked we only have 79 folks in GAF on the NA server. Do we have a lot of folks playing other factions, or is that a near representation of all of us? Just seems like as much as everyone is enjoying the game we'd have more folks coming into the fold.

A few of us are in other guilds like Doc and I. Also I'm honestly too busy playing to post much in here.

Delstius

Holy Shit! I played at length for the first time since I received the game on Wednesday. I seriously thought I would end up fighting a few baddies and getting some stupid boring fetch quests. I ended up having to take my sleeping meds so I wouldn't stay up all night! LOL! What a game!! The early intro quest really gets you drawn in! I can't wait to play tonight! Also, playing in 3D is an amazing experience! The graphics are the best yet on any photoreal"ish" MMO. I love the way they show the marker to your quests objective and how it's marked as (above/below). I love the quest recap button "T". I love how your UI isn't cluttered and elements eventually fade away as you explore. The game is just really really polished and well done so far.

-M
Welcome to modern age and welcome to mmorpg.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
to each its own, as opinions are what they are, but I dont understand this argument at all. freedom? this is the freedom in this game with 5 slots. For me that is.

Been playing my templar with bow. using 2 weapon spells, poison arrow and volley of course, with snipe going in when I have enough bow xp. then a couple of templar spells.

Ive been a bit bored of him lately so I wanted to play a sorc, so I make a sorc, and go to use a bow... so my sorc with a bow would use... poison arrow, volley and snipe, and then 2 class spells >_> its almost the same char as my templar would be.

Not to mention, this theory that this means theres no cookie cutter builds... at the sacrifice of having fun with the classes, give me cookie cutter everyday. 5 Slots gives me no freedom at all, you talk about freedom, but just like any othe game, in the end, there are spells 99% will use. "everyone" will use snipe and volley with bows, "everyone" will use the spiky armor with DKs, "everyone" will use the stabby stabby spear move with templars, because they are just good spells. Sure you can say "well I dont use it youre wrong!", but you could say the same about any game if you wanted to be different just for the sake of being different.

5 slots is just not enough for versatility in a give spec. I do NOT want 40+ like WOW, I dont think anyone does. but 5, when usually there will be 2 or 3 that, lets face it, are "mandatory", leaves no wiggle room at all for the so called non-cookie cutter buulds in my opinion.

The weapon switching system would be good for that, and in half the cases it is, but then the whole system crumbles when spells that you cast with the previous weapons despawn when you switch, like armors and especially sorc pets.

At the end of they day, you can call this "hating" just like I could call your side "defense force", but the fact is, for me, its slowly killing the game (maybe not so slowly). I want to have fun with my classes, and 5 slots doesnt let me have near as much as I would (with sorcs being the main offender, that class is completely broken for what I want out of it, which is really bumming me out)

we have a saying here which translates to something like "8 or 80", basically, its always the extremes. Everytime I see people saying 5 isnt enough, out comes the "i dont want 100 slots like wow" argument... dude there IS a middle ground, which for me would be 10...maybe 8. if less is more, why not 3 then? why not 2, a weapon spell and a class spell, boom done. Meh ill leave this at "to each its own" because its pointless to argue, like I said, this boils down to "youre just hating" vs "youre just defense forcing"

Well, on my NB character, I've the option to choose dozens of skills, not counting their morphs, in 3 main categories. I also have all of the skills attached to the various weapons to consider.

I definitely feel like there are a lot of options, and the the fact that you can only use 6 makes me think long and hard about what to use and the synergy between them. Even swapping out one ability can change my entire strategy in combat.

GW2, on the other hand, is a perfect example on how not to handle skills in an MMO. Locking skills to weapons is actually a big step back from how it was handled in the original GW.

To be fair, your definition of fun is not necessarily someone else's. Just because you've chose to limit yourself to using a bow with those skills doesn't mean all bow users have to or do in order to have fun. Just because you decide that you want to use the same weapon on different classes doesn't mean others will or have to in order to have fun.

The idea that this limitation exists because it is going to also be on consoles is a bit of a farce, as Guild Wars and Guilds Wars 2 have never been NEAR a console, and also force players to make tough decisions in their builds. It's simply a design choice in order to have players be deliberate and make meaningful choices when creating their character loadout. I understand that you want all the things, but that doesn't automatically make it a better design decision or right for the game.

EDIT: I do agree with the above about how GW2 handles it specifically, but the point I make about their intent still stands.

docbon

Yeah, I joined another guild during prelaunch because I honestly thought no one here would play.

The OT and the formation of the NA / EU guild were all spur of the moment things.

ps: dega send a guild invite to @docbon

Rhaknar

To be fair, your definition of fun is not necessarily someone else's. Just because you've chose to limit yourself to using a bow with those skills doesn't mean all bow users have to or do in order to have fun. Just because you decide that you want to use the same weapon on different classes doesn't mean others will or have to in order to have fun.

The idea that this limitation exists because it is going to also be on consoles is a bit of a farce, as Guild Wars and Guilds Wars 2 have never been NEAR a console, and also force players to make tough decisions in their builds. It's simply a design choice in order to have players be deliberate and make meaningful choices when creating their character loadout. I understand that you want all the things, but that doesn't automatically make it a better design decision or right for the game.

EDIT: I do agree with the above about how GW2 handles it specifically, but the point I make about their intent still stands.

first of all, I nevr said I was speaking for anyone but me. I specifically said for me / in my opinion many times.

Second, I do think it being on consoles is a big reason why its like this, although I never said it, its funny that you did (dat radial menu for potions, come on :p ).

Third, AGAIN, I specifically said I dont want 5'5393'93'593 spells, so no, I dont want ALL like you say, I just wanted...a bit more wiggle room which I dont have at all with just 5 slots.

edit: oh and aparently im coming off as some sort of GW2 fanboy, when I didnt even like that game lol. I just use it as an example because I think that 8 to 10 slots is the ideal

Snicky

Hi guys, would appreciate an invite to the NA GAF guild. I have a level 12 AD sorcerer, @th0raz1ne (a zero and a one). Thanks in advance, look forward to playing with some gaffers!

dubq

6 works well in DCUO, IMO.

Top Bottom