• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So i'm a bit on the wall in regards to my Sorcerer, been having loads of fun playing as a resto staff sorcerer but i'm feeling very sub par healing dungeons, especially in regards to burst damage healing, tho "oh shit" moments are hard to deal with.

Templar on the other hand seems to have that coverer with their innate healing skills, problem is their mana management is kind of shit.

I'm not sure if i should reroll templar or not to be an effective healer... opinions?

healing staff spells are shit, thats my opinion.

I only use the HoT from the staff on my healing templar, maybe ill use the one that makes party members heal from hitting mobs...maybe

edit: Ill take this chance to say that I was really disapointed when I found out healing/destro staff spells used magicka and not stamina, I was hoping all weapons used stamina so you could balance out both bars (like I do with melee for example)

Giggzy

Maybe its just MMOs in general but I wish there was more risks and player interactions. I enjoy stuff like Eve Online, even early game its like a game of cat and mouse not being hunted down by veteran players when entering low security areas. Something about that is exciting..

So far the only thing this game really has going for it is story which honestly isnt hooking me yet.. and it very much feels like a single player game with people who steal everything before you get a chance to grab it.

Maybe it will get more fun when I actually have to group with people, I dont know.

Ah okay, that makes sense and is something that I can understand. I never got into EVE, but I remember that type of feeling with SWG. Unfortunately those types of MMO's aren't real around anymore.

This game has scratched an itch that's been bugging me for a long time though and that is due to the emphasis on exploration and no quest hubs. I'm also infatuated with elder scrolls lore and setting, so the stories in quests (even the side quests) have me entertained.

Plasmid

I asked this a few days ago but got no answer.

Is it possible as a daggerfall covenant to go to riften, greenshade, etc? Or am i stuck on glenumbra? I've done a lot of quests so far in Stros M'kai, Betzhnik & Glenumbra but i'm ready to see the rest of the map.

I'm about 400 exp off level 10 so i can go to cyrodiil then, but can you go from cyrodiil to the other areas?

docbon

Is it possible as a daggerfall covenant to go to riften, greenshade, etc? Or am i stuck on glenumbra? I've done a lot of quests so far in Stros M'kai, Betzhnik & Glenumbra but i'm ready to see the rest of the map.

I'm about 400 exp off level 10 so i can go to cyrodiil then, but can you go from cyrodiil to the other areas?

I believe at a certain veteran rank you can travel to a second alliance's region, and then a few ranks later, the third.

KePoW

Banned
This might be a weird question, but is there any reason to play more than one character of each of the 4 classes?

I don't know how the Skill progression works later on because I'm only level 7 right now. I'm not sure if the four classes "split up" into different advanced classes later on?

In other words, like SWTOR -- There are 4 base classes to choose from when you begin, but in reality there are 8 different classes. (a Sniper is different than an Operative, even though they both start as Imperial Agent)

Is ESO like SWTOR in this regard, or it's strictly only just 4 classes?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This might be a weird question, but is there any reason to play more than one character of each of the 4 classes?

I don't know how the Skill progression works later on because I'm only level 7 right now. I'm not sure if the four classes "split up" into different advanced classes later on?

In other words, like SWTOR -- There are 4 base classes to choose from when you begin, but in reality there are 8 different classes. (a Sniper is different than an Operative, even though they both start as Imperial Agent)

Is ESO like SWTOR in this regard, or it's strictly only just 4 classes?

its 4 classes, and then you can do whatever the fuck you want with those classes basically since you can use any type of armor or weapons with any class (heavy armor sorceror with 2handed weapon for example)

Dubz

Provisioning mats are in barrels and crates for the most part so if you aren't leveling Provisioning you can ignore them. The other resources have their own nodes or in the case of the various kinds of leather you have to murder stuff. You can find some mats in cabinets, drawers, etc. as well.
Do u need gear to extract the mats from the nodes....like a shovel or pick?

Hawk269

Do u need gear to extract the mats from the nodes....like a shovel or pick?

It is automatic. So you don't need anything. The first time I came across a wood node, my character (after clicking on) magically wielded a axe at chopped at it. So, no you don't need anything to harvest materials.

jacket320

Thanks for the advice guys. I bought a few things from the vendor last night and knew I was wasting my money but wasn't sure how to proceed.

So yea, I was going to sell my copy to a friend (I got it as a gift) but I'm deciding to give it a try after many other skeptics like me are now thoroughly enjoying it. Which Alliance the the GAF NA on? Or does that matter?

So yea, I was going to sell my copy to a friend (I got it as a gift) but I'm deciding to give it a try after many other skeptics like me are now thoroughly enjoying it. Which Alliance the the GAF NA on? Or does that matter?

If you want to PVP/Quest with gaf, I believe most of us are Ebonheart.

SRTtoZ

I'm really curious to hear more opinions of how this game stacks up to FFXIV so far, from those people who've played both.

I've just started playing FFXIV again after a five month hiatus, and it's really reminded me of how much I enjoyed my time with the game. But the videos and impressions of ESO have me really curious-- especially the combat and the world. It seems much more open and exploration based, which I love, and I like the idea of a more reactionary style of combat which places more emphasis on dodging and action rather than going through a set sequence of skills again and again. Am I correct in thinking ESO's combat leans more heavily towards action rather than managing skill roulettes?

I think I do much prefer the art style, classes, and overall atmosphere and look in FFXIV though. For those who've played both, which one do you like more so far?

ESO feels more unique. I liked FF14 but it's really WoWish with longer global cool downs. The leveling experience aside from the story quests was mind numbingly boring with fates and whatnot.

Rhaknar

got my cheap ass horse, better than nothing I guess

Well, there is more than just Glenumbra for DC.

Elder_Scrolls_Online_Interactive_Tamriel_Map.png

Oh, what the hell. I seem to be into this enough to do more than play by myself. Wouldn't mind an invite to the NA guild. Quote for my game ID.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Veteran? As in 50? Damn that's rough.
Stops players from camping other factions.
Not sure if it's been posted, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrTD_sKzz9Y

Node bots teleporting to all the nodes and farming.
Sad but that's the usual occurrence with MMOs, they attract bots by the number. Hopefully Zenimax can push out some algorithms to ban them, and I have a feeling they are already working on doing ban waves soon enough. Took GW2 a few weeks to sort their botting problem out, same with WoW.

Really love this game, level 20 now and just enjoying it more and more each time I log on. Roped my girlfriend into playing, she loves Skyrim and now won't stop playing so that's a success. PvE hasn't gotten dull for me at all, and the quests are starting to ramp up in difficulty and interest. Just saved an entire village from a plague and assaulted a raiding party, was really cool.

To the one asking about going back to lower level dungeons and solo-ing, the lowest you could be is say level 30 I reckon, the first dungeons hit hard even for high level folks.

Ghost23

So do people here have a better opinion of the game now that it is out? How is the end game? I might try this out when it comes out on PS4. The new add on that is coming out looks pretty cool.

SZips

This last patch seems to have broken something for me.

I've been getting just the most random framerate hitches now. It happens with vsync on or off. My framerate is typically at 60 or more depending on how many people are around but then it hitches and framerate drops suddenly before jumping back up to "normal." Running on GTX 770 (4GB), i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, Win8.1.

Things seemed fine prior to the patch that went out on the 7th. I could maybe understand it if it was limited to the major cities but it happens everywhere, even in a solo dungeon as part of a mission where I was the only one inside. Happens while running and during combat, which makes combat incredibly annoying now.

I even disabled the Esohead and Esohead Markers addons as some people suggested those might be the culprit. That didn't help at all. I love this game but this is really killing the experience right now.

SZips

Same questions here. Should I even consider this for the PS4?

Yes. Despite my singular complaint above (which could very well be an issue on my end), the game is a ton of fun. I largely disliked the beta (as most people did, it seems) but I've put a lot of time into this game already and still want to keep playing.

Teletraan1

Banned
This last patch seems to have broken something for me.

I've been getting just the most random framerate hitches now. It happens with vsync on or off. My framerate is typically at 60 or more depending on how many people are around but then it hitches and framerate drops suddenly before jumping back up to "normal." Running on GTX 770 (4GB), i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, Win8.1.

Things seemed fine prior to the patch that went out on the 7th. I could maybe understand it if it was limited to the major cities but it happens everywhere, even in a solo dungeon as part of a mission where I was the only one inside. Happens while running and during combat, which makes combat incredibly annoying now.

I even disabled the Esohead and Esohead Markers addons as some people suggested those might be the culprit. That didn't help at all. I love this game but this is really killing the experience right now.

I had a similar issue the other day. Game would totally hitch up randomly. I have not installed any addons so far but closing the game down and restarting my PC solved it. Played for a few hours yesterday and never saw a hitch again. Game has a memory leak though. It balloons up after a few hours.

Ghost23

Yes. Despite my singular complaint above (which could very well be an issue on my end), the game is a ton of fun. I largely disliked the beta (as most people did, it seems) but I've put a lot of time into this game already and still want to keep playing.

There are a couple of things that turned me off in the beta.

1. Everyone looks the same. I know it was low level, but even some of the higher level stuff looks bland. Are there legendary weapons that have cool effects and take time to get?

2. The world felt kind of small and not open like Skyrim or any other MMO. Is it just traveling from instance to instance?

There are a couple of things that turned me off in the beta.

1. Everyone looks the same. I know it was low level, but even some of the higher level stuff looks bland. Are there legendary weapons that have cool effects and take time to get?

2. The world felt kind of small and not open like Skyrim or any other MMO. Is it just traveling from instance to instance?

Gear is pretty varied later on, especially when you start mix and matching between all the racial sets + the very hard to get sets like daedric. You won't find WoW's glowy armor with 19 foot shoulder pads, but the armor is quite nice imo.

The zones are massive, the only ones that are small and linear are the tutorial islands, which you can completely skip now. The PvP zone alone is pretty much the size of the game map from Oblivion, they literally just copied the height map over.

How does armor work in this game? I'm only level 6 so it doesn't really matter I imagine but at the moment I'm mixing light/heavy which can't be good.

How does armor work in this game? I'm only level 6 so it doesn't really matter I imagine but at the moment I'm mixing light/heavy which can't be good.

Overcharging armor with a lot of heavy armor on is pretty easy, once that happens stacking even more heavy becomes useless as the diminishing returns are going to kick in. It really depends on what kinds of things you want to do with your character. For instance, I'm sure at some point in the future I will feel like healing with my Templar, so throwing on a light piece to mix it up with my heavy isn't such a bad idea.

Generally, each armor skill line has passive skill bonuses you can unlock that kick in at 5 pieces from that set, and each type of armor tends to focus on one stat.

Light is magicka focused, medium is stamina focused, and heavy is armor/health focused.

Remember you only level up what you use. So, to keep bonuses high for medium but give myself future flexibility in other armor types if I swap, I have 5 pieces of medium, then 1 each of heavy and light, so those get (some) experience as well.

SZips

I had a similar issue the other day. Game would totally hitch up randomly. I have not installed any addons so far but closing the game down and restarting my PC solved it. Played for a few hours yesterday and never saw a hitch again. Game has a memory leak though. It balloons up after a few hours.

I think it's a bit of the latest patch doing something and perhaps some addon oddities. I disabled more addons and noticed it was a bit better, re-enabled some, and kept switching around a bit while playing some PvP these past few hours. The terrible choppiness I had earlier was reduced but it still came up once in a while even with all of the addons disabled at one point.

So, for now I'm going to guess something happened in the last patch and the addons are compounding the issue when enabled. I'll just have to wait and see for a bit as maybe an upcoming patch or two will address this. It's still super annoying going from 60+ to sudden hitching for a split second and right back up.

Also, I wish my issue was just the memory leak but this happens shortly after starting the game.

God this game is dominating my mind. I should probably bail out before i get in to deep. Or not! Must have all of those skyshards, must progress! Must buy a horse!

FTP after a few months? Not so sure anymore. The questing is great. Think skyrim quests but in an MMO. None of that 10 boar dicks for some xp-quests riddling the other ones.

EDIT: Also, I want to play all of the classes! :¨(

Rhaknar

so... how can you go to other zones, like other faction zones. I did dungeon in one and saw all the skyshards on the map, how do I get back there? I wanna get me some skill points for a third spec

Shnookums

I bought the game two days ago and something that just happened has me confused.

First of all, after the intro portion do you always start off in
The Harborage
?

Second, I started in
The Harborage
and did a number of quests from there. Eventually I followed some quest that took me to
Khenarthi's Roost via boat (after talking to "Sugar-claws" I think it was), but when I got there I was directed to talk to Razum Dar, who then mentioned multiple times something about me falling from the sky and needing to be secretive because of that, which I found confusing since I had supposedly taken a boat there. Was this some bugged dialog as if I had arrived some other way, or is there some meaning to the talk of falling from the sky that I misunderstood?

KePoW

Banned
I think it's a bit of the latest patch doing something and perhaps some addon oddities. I disabled more addons and noticed it was a bit better, re-enabled some, and kept switching around a bit while playing some PvP these past few hours. The terrible choppiness I had earlier was reduced but it still came up once in a while even with all of the addons disabled at one point.

So, for now I'm going to guess something happened in the last patch and the addons are compounding the issue when enabled. I'll just have to wait and see for a bit as maybe an upcoming patch or two will address this. It's still super annoying going from 60+ to sudden hitching for a split second and right back up.

Also, I wish my issue was just the memory leak but this happens shortly after starting the game.

Why don't you test it once and for all, by deleting all add-ons?

I have no add-ons and don't get these major hitches you're talking about.

KePoW

Banned
I bought the game two days ago and something that just happened has me confused.

The Harborage
?

On my Breton, I did not start there. Game didn't lead me there until quite a bit later.

SRTtoZ

The Harborage
?

Second, I started in
The Harborage
and did a number of quests from there. Eventually I followed some quest that took me to
Khenarthi's Roost via boat (after talking to "Sugar-claws" I think it was), but when I got there I was directed to talk to Razum Dar, who then mentioned multiple times something about me falling from the sky and needing to be secretive because of that, which I found confusing since I had supposedly taken a boat there. Was this some bugged dialog as if I had arrived some other way, or is there some meaning to the talk of falling from the sky that I misunderstood?

Your faction determines where you start off, so no you don't always start there. Secondly, during the Beta many people complained that you went straight to the starter islands and couldn't really explore much, so they ended up making it so after the tutorial you go to the first major city of your faction and then from there you can do whatever quests you want and/or go back to the starter island. That's why you got that weird dialogue because you were supposed to have fallen from the sky into the starter island after the tutorial.

Shnookums

Your faction determines where you start off, so no you don't always start there. Secondly, during the Beta many people complained that you went straight to the starter islands and couldn't really explore much, so they ended up making it so after the tutorial you go to the first major city of your faction and then from there you can do whatever quests you want and/or go back to the starter island. That's why you got that weird dialogue because you were supposed to have fallen from the sky into the starter island after the tutorial.

Shouldn't the dialog be fixed then? I found it confusing.

Zafir

Shouldn't the dialog be fixed then? I found it confusing.
They may have forgotten it I guess. I think pact was the same, I do recall a quest giver saying how I woke up on an island when I didn't, I woke up in the camp.

Most other dialogue is changed depending on your choices and what you've done though. Deshaan for example I did the area story line before some of the side quests and the dialogue for the quests allowed me to say I'd done *blah* and they were speaking as if the quest had been done.

Top Bottom