• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Rizzi

I got bored of my level 10 character, so I started a new one.
Now I am a Redguard Dragonknight. In the Ebonheart Pact. The ability to create any race in any faction is weeeeeird.
So far a lot more fun than my original character.

tsumineko

Your faction determines where you start off, so no you don't always start there. Secondly, during the Beta many people complained that you went straight to the starter islands and couldn't really explore much, so they ended up making it so after the tutorial you go to the first major city of your faction and then from there you can do whatever quests you want and/or go back to the starter island. That's why you got that weird dialogue because you were supposed to have fallen from the sky into the starter island after the tutorial.

Hrm, I kind of wish they kept starting in the starter island. I was kinda lost to there even being a real starter area for ages and took quests that weren't good for my level. Was really frustrating...

I never played the beta or anything, my first time playing was on launch day.

Teletraan1

Banned
I think it's a bit of the latest patch doing something and perhaps some addon oddities. I disabled more addons and noticed it was a bit better, re-enabled some, and kept switching around a bit while playing some PvP these past few hours. The terrible choppiness I had earlier was reduced but it still came up once in a while even with all of the addons disabled at one point.

So, for now I'm going to guess something happened in the last patch and the addons are compounding the issue when enabled. I'll just have to wait and see for a bit as maybe an upcoming patch or two will address this. It's still super annoying going from 60+ to sudden hitching for a split second and right back up.

Also, I wish my issue was just the memory leak but this happens shortly after starting the game.

I decided to skip all addons until things settle down after launch. I remember with wow outdated addons would make the game unplayable after a patch. I could unlock the framerate and run at 180FPS with no addons and barely manage 30 with them. My guild used to raid on Tuesday and the amount of addon related DCs/Performance issues were annoying because people couldn't live without them. The big difference here is that I don't actually mind the sparse UI here. Sure I am missing a bunch of information that this game seems to hide away for unknown reasons. The standard wow UI I found unusable but I am sure if I got a bunch of addons I would probably find this interface lacking.

Fuz

Banned
Hrm, I kind of wish they kept starting in the starter island. I was kinda lost to there even being a real starter area for ages and took quests that weren't good for my level. Was really frustrating...

I never played the beta or anything, my first time playing was on launch day.

Yeah, I think it was a very stupid decision.

Jord

I'm totally in love with this game. This morning I cancelled my WoW sub, only the 3rd time in 8 years!

I ditched my level 8 Ebon Nightblade and started a fresh Dominion sorc. I seem to be enjoying it more now I have re-rolled, understanding how the combat works etc. I'm getting totally immersed with the quests, and the world is so amazingly detailed and gorgeous.

I've got to admit I was not expecting it to be this good! We'll see what the end game brings but more than happy to sub until I reach level cap, which could be a while if I keep playing it at slow, chilled rate I am.

Now I am a Redguard Dragonknight. In the Ebonheart Pact. The ability to create any race in any faction is weeeeeird.

From my understanding, if you have the explorers pack that gives you the option to play any race in any faction, otherwise I think you're limited to the one you choose.

docbon

It's not too weird imo. You'll see all the races represented in some form, no matter which faction you choose, so just think of yourself as a minority. If the number of subscribers picks up significantly post launch, then you -will- actually be the minority.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ok, so I hit level 10 last night with my Sorc and decided to check out Cyrodiil. The first quest you get upon entering is to use the teleport stone to go to another fortress to the south. However, clicking on the stone doesn't show anything but my current area, and clicking on Locations everything is greyed out...

Any ideas?

Schlocky

Ok, so I hit level 10 last night with my Sorc and decided to check out Cyrodiil. The first quest you get upon entering is to use the teleport stone to go to another fortress to the south. However, clicking on the stone doesn't show anything but my current area, and clicking on Locations everything is greyed out...

Any ideas?

There's a normal fast travel stone thing nearby that you need to use instead.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So GAF, what are some good add ons to get?

Lootdrop (mandatory IMO) - Just hit E and thou shalt receive, and see what you go on the right of the screen.

Skyshards (kind of a cheat stick.. but meh, my ADD wouldn't allow me to find all the Shards without it).

Slightly Improved Attributes Bars & Slightly Improved Experience Bar - both are very good.

I really only use LootDrop because it makes the minimalistic UI that much more minimal. I really hate having a cluttered UI in MMOs and HATE meters. I find them distracting. It's hard enough to see things in this game as mobs/players don't glow or have nameplates.

Interrupts are almost impossible to see in busy fights.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
25 (almost 26), been rocking a bow today on my templar, really enjoy it.

poison arrow, the dot dawns sun spell, the knockback spear, flame arrow aoe and the health/sta regen spell from resto tree. Ill drop something for Snipe eventually, probably the regen one

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Good lord there are a lot of templars. Just did a dungeon with 3 of them...

I'm not gonna get any invites as a sorc tank, I can feel it, lol.

theres only 4 classes so thats bound to happen. but yeah temps are really popular (I would say temps and sorcs are the most popular, and NB the least)

timkunedo

I've been doing nothing but watching streams and reading impressions since the launch day. I was all ready to jump into the WildStar weekend betas and upon it's release jump in with a subscription. Now i'm having second thoughts. I really want to play this, but not sure i can justify 2 subscription based MMOs. I'm torn!!

Lynq

Banned
Anyone else getting frustrated sometimes by weird difficulty spikes?

Quest is for level 8 character. I'm going in having level 10, I'm dying all the time. Had this situation couple of times now, irritating. These are not even group quests, no, just normal solo quests. And I'm not underpowered, I don't think so at least. How can I be at lvl 10 :p

Rhaknar

Anyone else getting frustrated sometimes by weird difficulty spikes?

Quest is for level 8 character. I'm going in having level 10, I'm dying all the time. Had this situation couple of times now, irritating. These are not even group quests, no, just normal solo quests. And I'm not underpowered, I don't think so at least. How can I be at lvl 10 :p

play a sorc, watch your pets tank everything

or a templar, and stab shit with your aedric spear

or a DK and pop the spiky armor and laugh at mobs trying to kill you

I havent played a NB yet

KePoW

Banned
theres only 4 classes so thats bound to happen. but yeah temps are really popular (I would say temps and sorcs are the most popular, and NB the least)

play a sorc, watch your pets tank everything

or a templar, and stab shit with your aedric spear

or a DK and pop the spiky armor and laugh at mobs trying to kill you

I havent played a NB yet

Dang, so NB is well known as the worst class? That sucks

Somnia

LOL oh god

So they finally fixed the groundskeeper bugged quest so I can advance the story and actually get to the veteran levels. The NEXT step is busted for everyone and we are still bugged and can't advance so I'm still stuck at VR1 and unable to advance the story to get to the Veteran Levels.... sigh

so, my brother gave me this game yesterday and i started to play it. I´m actually enjoying this game after i told my self that i wouldn´t play, since i hated the beta! If there are any place left on the EU Guild please addme @Moskitokrebs

Dang, so NB is well known as the worst class? That sucks

Not even close, I wouldn't take it as most popular = best, it's more Templars just plow through most stuff easily with heavy armor and heals. Nightblades are extremely powerful with burst damage and health leeches. I think a lot of people just go in with the mentality they are your standard rogue and don't adapt and swap out skills based on the situation.

SZips

Why don't you test it once and for all, by deleting all add-ons?

I have no add-ons and don't get these major hitches you're talking about.

I already mentioned in the post you quoted how I disabled all of them at one point and still experienced the issue. They weren't active and I still had hitching here and there.

Wow... the Forgotten Crypts EP public dungeon is very well done. The story is a bit cliche, but done well. The dungeon itself has great design, full of optional paths and levels that aren't apart of the dungeon quest... these areas have optional elites you can face.

Somnia

I already mentioned in the post you quoted how I disabled all of them at one point and still experienced the issue. They weren't active and I still had hitching here and there.

Just disabling does not always fix the problem, it's a known thing.

KePoW

Banned
Not even close, I wouldn't take it as most popular = best, it's more Templars just plow through most stuff easily with heavy armor and heals. Nightblades are extremely powerful with burst damage and health leeches. I think a lot of people just go in with the mentality they are your standard rogue and don't adapt and swap out skills based on the situation.

Ah ok. So if you play them as a standard MMO rouge, then you won't get the best out of a NB?

Like someone else just said, it's best if you test it by fully deleting all add-on files.

RoKKeR

Any updates on the console versions of this game? Looking forward to really digging into it this summer, especially after the positive impressions.

Ah ok. So if you play them as a standard MMO rouge, then you won't get the best out of a NB?.

You definitely can and will, you just need to pick your battles a little more carefully and wont be able to just roll over packs of mobs like a Templar / Dragon Knight can at lower levels. I play my Nightblade as a shadow-stepping burst damage dealer and I can take on a couple mobs at the same time, but anything over that I can run into danger seeing I roll medium armor and am not that tankish. Sneaking + positional damage are also a huge part of playing a Nightblade. At my current level I: Sneak - Teleport Strike at their back for bonus damage - Twin Slash (Morped into Blood Craze) - Then either Killer's Blade if they are about dead or Strife if I want to heal while I fight them. This will kill most things within a few seconds and the sounds make it a pretty satisfying way to kill something.

Ah ok. So if you play them as a standard MMO rouge, then you won't get the best out of a NB?
The system is setup in a way that you are free to mix and match skills and weapons to suit your playstyle. You can play each class in their traditional roles or completely break the mold. I suggest just having fun and playing something you want to play until endgame. If that's a staff wielding NB or a healing DK, go for it.

Keep in mind this is a MMO though and once more people are at VR10 and have run extensive number testing, ideal classes/builds will start going out, but for now it's all about playing what you want to play.

I would hope that Zenimax will try to curb that and keep things pretty even, but you can only do so much balacing in a MMO.

The skill system reminds me of a streamlined version of the Path of Exile skill tree. You have a lot of options, some out of the box work better than others, but you can make most anything work if you find nice skill synergies.

Any updates on the console versions of this game? Looking forward to really digging into it this summer, especially after the positive impressions.

What I wanted to know too. They have been very silent about the console version. All attention is on PC for the moment it seems.

Is it viable to level up as a healer? I know I could do dungeons but would my dps be mind numbingly bad like most MMOs solo?

It is pretty different in this game as there is no "healing class" and you are not relegated to only having healing spells or playing a class that is primarily designed for healing. For instance, you can play a Templar with healing, and just switch out the healing spells for full offensive nukes when leveling, you can even go from heavy armor while playing solo to light armor in dungeons for better magika.

Hawk269

Nothing yet. Only an official cinematic trailer, but no game play of the PS4/Xbox One version at all. I know they are still accepting Beta sign up's, but if the game is coming out in June, these beta's should be starting really soon. I know there are whispers that a closed beta is locked under NDA, but a public Beta should be starting soon if the game still comes out in June.

I am having a blast on the PC right now and am wanting the Xbox One version since I have about 20-30 friends on my list that are all waiting for it...so it would be good to see or hear something about the console versions.

RoKKeR

Nothing yet. Only an official cinematic trailer, but no game play of the PS4/Xbox One version at all. I know they are still accepting Beta sign up's, but if the game is coming out in June, these beta's should be starting really soon. I know there are wispers that a closed beta is locked under NDA, but a public Beta should be starting soon if the game still comes out in June.

I am having a blast on the PC right now and am wanting the Xbox One version since I have about 20-30 friends on my list that are all waiting for it...so it would be good to see or here something about the console versions.
Alright then, guess I'll keep my eye out.

Seems like a great game, better than I was expecting. I'll swallow the ridiculous price for a few months over the summer, and at least hang on to the disc for when it becomes F2P. My pals are on XBO as well, I imagine they'll start talking a bit more once the PC release window has passed.

*prediction*

The update after Craglorn (spelling?) will include another class.

*end of prediction*
Perhaps.

I would rather hear more about how they plan to expand the skill system. They've already shown the potential it has with future guilds (thief/brotherhood) and the vampire/werewolf skillsets. So much awesome stuff they can do by just adding new weapons, guilds, or world skills.

This GIF is awesome.

RBBbq9I.gif

The first, of many, banhammers has come down:

Today, we made our first major strike against those who choose to cheat in ESO, permanently banning thousands. This is only the beginning of our ongoing efforts to keep the game free from botters, speed hackers, and gold spammers. We want to thank everyone who has sent in-game reports about these individuals in ESO—your reports helped us identify many of the accounts we banned today. Please continue to report any botters, gold spammers, and speed hackers you see in-game, and we’ll continue our efforts to keep them out of Tamriel.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/74534/taking-action-against-cheaters-in-eso

Top Bottom