• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Einbroch

Banned
Have you played Skyrim? Can you compare to that?

Yes, and Oblivion. It feels very much the same. That's good and bad. Elder Scroll isn't really known for it's combat, but the exploration is there. There are five (?) main zones per faction. Each one is about the same size as 2-3 WoW zones. It's bigger than Skyrim, but is zoned off a bit more.

It feels, looks, and plays like an Elder Scrolls game, but online. You don't have that feeling of being alone, which was good and bad. If you like Elder Scrolls, you'll likely like this.

Seil

Anyone getting log-in issues? I keep getting stuck on 'Requesting Character Load'

Servers are overloaded or something. The official forums have this notice at the top:

We are aware some of you are experiencing long loading times or lag. We are looking into this now, and will let you know as soon as we have an update. Thank you for your patience.

You may be able to get in if you wait long enough, I saw some people in zone chat say it took them upwards of 15 minutes to get in x.x

I just crashed, so gonna leave it trying to log in while I do something else haha.

So much of this game would be better with instancing these quests. Love completing a quest because you just were nearby instead of actually doing anything. "thanks for saving us from XXXX"... ummm actually it was that guy over there since he killed the boss spawn. They have an interesting instancing of content going on, but then seem to have screwed it up in so many areas that kills the games open nature and immersion.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Just lost all my bank items =\ also they keep resending me the preorder/beta/imperial mail. Seems like a lot of people are having the same problem right now according to the forum.

edit: Looks like servers going down in a bit.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Is it like insurance where they ask me what was lost? Cause I lost a lot of legendary stuff.
You most likely haven't "lost" the item, its just that the instances hosting bank/guild stuff was having major issues by all the traffic, and as such either caused them to crash or Zenimax to take them down. The megaserver is down while they perform maintenance, and presumably fix stuff. If you have indeed lost it, they'll have records and be able to fix it up for you through a support ticket.

Rest easy, this is all part of the joy when it comes to launch period. At least we have been able to play the game rather than a number of previous online games.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just lost all my bank items =\ also they keep resending me the preorder/beta/imperial mail. Seems like a lot of people are having the same problem right now according to the forum.

edit: Looks like servers going down in a bit.

Nooooo~~~! Man that sucks!

Hope my stuff is still there... once the megaserver is back up :(

Anyway yeah, having fun playing tonight. But it kinda sucks because as soon as I go into one of the "open" dungeons or quest areas a group goes in and kills the mobs/boss and it completes it for me... and I didn't even get to do anything

Midnight on the east coast... hopefully the # of players starts to drop...

Alur

My sexy vampire khajiit.

How'd you get the vamp bite? Did you have to cave and pay or did you manage to snag it without the campers?

I think it'll be funny to think back on the scarcity of the bites in two months when everyone is a vampire or werewolf.

Somnia

How'd you get the vamp bite? Did you have to cave and pay or did you manage to snag it without the campers?

I think it'll be funny to think back on the scarcity of the bites in two months when everyone is a vampire or werewolf.

I got it with Malkavia and others for the first bites (he was world first, I was probably in the top 50). We knew where they spawned from PTS and knew what moons, etc.

Alur

I got it with Malkavia and others for the first bites (he was world first, I was probably in the top 50). We knew where they spawned from PTS and knew what moons, etc.

That is awesome, grats! I have only seen two folks with it in the game so far but have seen so, so, so many players spamming offering anywhere from 3k to 12k gold and everything else you can think of to be bitten.

Do you know if the spawn camping people talk about is as bad as others have claimed?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Server is back up it seems, I have access to guild and bank.

Edit: I waded into the cess pool that is the forums, and god damn are they awful (I know, I know). People actually complaining about unscheduled maintenance because they weren't being affected by the problem and so therefore shouldn't have taken the servers down. What the.

Somnia

That is awesome, grats! I have only seen two folks with it in the game so far but have seen so, so, so many players spamming offering anywhere from 3k to 12k gold and everything else you can think of to be bitten.

Do you know if the spawn camping people talk about is as bad as others have claimed?

Ya it's bad, they camp it and kill them as soon as they spawn.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, picked this up. Game has to wait while my PC issues got sorted out. Back up and running. Trying to redeem code and such so I can download while I sleep and I continue to get a billing address error. Awesome.

Game doesn't want to play it I guess. =/

Edit: Finally got it.

they spent quite a bit on voice actors didnt they

Michael Gambon ((dumbledore)= the prophet
Kate Beckinsale =Queen Ayrenn
Malcolm McDowell =Molag Bal
John Cleese =Sir Cadwell

probs missed a few others aswell

The police officer (I forget the actors name) who is interrogating Joker in The Dark Knight is a voice too. I've only come across him once I think. He's a fantastic voice actor.

Edit: This guy! Keith Szarabajka.

Keith_Szarabajka.jpg

Is this a game I can just play casually on the weekends and still enjoy? I'll only be putting 5-10 hours in each week. I'm not interested in going all WoW with it. I've also never played an mmo.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm completely absorbed by this game. It really is Elder Scrolls online: the slow pacing, incredibly rewarding exploration does it for me, and the ES setting is always so charming. Reading books and letters inside someone's house is very relaxing, too; quests have been almost constantly great, with the typical final twist you find in the ES games. It's got some issues, like a somewhat cumbersome combat and items upgrade being a bit of a luck based system, but I ca see myself putting a lot of time into this, at least until MK8 hits. Hell I've put about 50 hours already and i'm just level 10

ps: just had my first BLOODY HELL moment. I was just strolling around north of Phaer and saw a buncha ritualists praying before an altar. While I was sneaking around to get past them all of a sudden a GIANT ASS ANCHOR dropped from the sky. I was like "yeah, next time" and ran away

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Is this a game I can just play casually on the weekends and still enjoy? I'll only be putting 5-10 hours in each week. I'm not interested in going all WoW with it. I've also never played an mmo.

I believe so, I've been playing it in short bursts - and it's not so moorish as to make you miss work/meetings..

..having said that, I've called in sick 3 times since release, so anything's possible.

You can bite other players to infect them? Is this outside of PvP or only inside?

Pretty sure it's a consensual thing. Like a trade or something

You don't just go around biting and infecting people, they have to agree to it.

I was more asking for clarification this being a real thing or was it a hearsay; although the thought of going on a biting spree would be hilarious. Vampirism/lycanthropy was something my friend I and I would be a great addition to the game as an update or first expansion but it looks like they already beat us to te punch!

I was more asking for clarification this being a real thing or was it a hearsay; although the thought of going on a biting spree would be hilarious. Vampirism/lycanthropy was something my friend I and I would be a great addition to the game as an update or first expansion but it looks like they already beat us to te punch!

Yes, Vampirism and Lycanthropy are both in the game now.

uzit88

Hmm just installing the game and its asked me to put in Disk 2 but for some reason after a few spins its just comes out....I have an 2010 iMac..

docbon

Definitely can casually play this game. It's pretty much like a full-fledged Single-Player ES game.

Is that the name of the Tutorial?

The tutorial takes place in a prison within Coldharbour, but you also visit Coldharbour again near the end of the game as an explorable zone. If you press M to view the map, you'll notice it's to the left of Tamriel.

KePoW

Banned
Hmm just installing the game and its asked me to put in Disk 2 but for some reason after a few spins its just comes out....I have an 2010 iMac..

I never installed from disks, but worst-case scenario if you activate the game account on their website, you can just download the whole game from their launcher client.

uzit88

I never installed from disks, but worst-case scenario if you activate the game account on their website, you can just download the whole game from their launcher client.

Thats what I am doing now...was hoping by installing the disks it be quicker...its going to take ages :/

I shouldn't have bought this, nothing but frustrations. Simple things are so obtuse in design as a MMO. It kinda works as a single player game but the immersion breaking is all over the place. The whole design of the game feels like Elder Scrolls Lite. The more open nature is nice, but it's still lacking the freedom of a true ES title. The MP component of the game just feels completely out of place and not needed. The MP stuff is the worst aspect, so why am I paying a sub to play a subpar ES game?

Combat has improved from beta, but it still feels sloppy with slight delays due to lag which bring the experience down. Animation for the characters is still awful.

The only thing this game has going for it is how open ended your allowed to play it, but for a sub based game this is not worth it at all.

I should have known to not fall for another MMO first month hype filled thread.

Alur

I shouldn't have bought this, nothing but frustrations. Simple things are so obtuse in design as a MMO. It kinda works as a single player game but the immersion breaking is all over the place. The whole design of the game feels like Elder Scrolls Lite. The more open nature is nice, but it's still lacking the freedom of a true ES title. The MP component of the game just feels completely out of place and not needed. The MP stuff is the worst aspect, so why am I paying a sub to play a subpar ES game?

Combat has improved from beta, but it still feels sloppy with slight delays due to lag which bring the experience down. Animation for the characters is still awful.

The only thing this game has going for it is how open ended your allowed to play it, but for a sub based game this is not worth it at all.

What are you really expecting that isn't immersion breaking in an MMO? MMOs are, by nature, immersion breaking. Hackneyed names, trolls, and quests wanting you to the save the town from a level 15 mob when the town guards are level 50. It's kind of the genre.

How far have you gotten to see the MP aspect is out of place? Are you level 20? 40? I'm at 25 and I've only had the opportunity to group around ten times, hardly enough to make any definite opinion.

As a regular SWTOR thread contributor/player, the last argument I'd expect from you is that it's not a real Elder Scrolls game considering how many folks we've had complaining about it not being a real KOTOR game in that thread over the last two years (SWTOR that is). It's not Elder Scrolls the console experience. It's Elder Scrolls the MMO. You have to give up to get, and even though there's a very deep world (for an MMO) you have to give up your isolation because there are players everywhere.

Based on your thoughts on SWTOR (currently), WildStar, and now this...seems like that maybe MMOs just aren't your thing anymore. WS was too formulaic an MMO for you, ESO isn't formulaic enough compared to previous ES games. You're frustrated with SWTOR design choices because they aren't open ended enough. When you're looking at what a game hasn't instead of what it has, you'll always end up disappointed.

KePoW

Banned

I disagree. ESO has actually exceeded my expectations at least 5-fold. (granted I never played beta and had really low expectations lol)

I feel the stories of the questing is the best of any MMO, or at least tied with SWTOR. That's what really draws me into those two games.

It's the very opposite of a WoW-clone, which is what makes this refreshing and really different. It was such a shock that a MMO nowdays doesn't automatically point out all quests for you... in ESO you actually gotta take the time to explore and find them. It's pretty awesome.

What are you really expecting that isn't immersion breaking in an MMO? MMOs are, by nature, immersion breaking. Hackneyed names, trolls, and quests wanting you to the save the town from a level 15 mob when the town guards are level 50. It's kind of the genre.

Think many MMOs have done a far better job at immersion when it comes to storyline. You have neat phasing like technology in ESO, and solo questing barriers in place, yet so many quests are left open to the public which just doesn't make sense. In most MMOs now important story aspects are instanced off to not ruin immersion, SWTOR, GW2, FFXIV, TSW, and on and on. Most MMOs feel like they realized what they are making and make allowances for the world aspect, while ESO so much of the game feels like a SP game instead. It's very odd design when there are bunch of ESO quests that do instance off and are solo player only for storyline reasons, yet then they keep others open. I'm only 16 so far, and have yet to see any reason why this is a MP game other than to kill my immersion.

As a regular SWTOR thread contributor/player, the last argument I'd expect from you is that it's not a real Elder Scrolls game considering how many folks we've had complaining about it not being a real KOTOR game in that thread over the last two years (SWTOR that is). It's not Elder Scrolls the console experience. It's Elder Scrolls the MMO. You have to give up to get, and even though there's a very deep world (for an MMO) you have to give up your isolation because there are players everywhere.

I never felt SWTOR was being another KOTOR, it was another theme park WoW like clone, that was clear from the start. So much of the hype though here has been how this game feels like a true ES title, yet having played most of the titles, I'm not seeing it at all. As you say, you give up to get, but what am I getting as I have yet to experience anything other than a substandard ES offering that has a sub fee? So I'm losing a ton of the freedom and options of a standard ES title in favor of what exactly? It does just feel like a step backwards, a limited version of a ES title. I still have to try the pvp to see if that gives me a proper framework but right now it's hard, but alas my money is spent so I might as well try and see if my opinion changes. I would like to experience a more lived in world when it comes to a MMO, stuff like FFXIV recently did a good job of it feeling like a busy living world because of the players in it.

Based on your thoughts on SWTOR (currently), WildStar, and now this...seems like that maybe MMOs just aren't your thing anymore. WS was too formulaic an MMO for you, ESO isn't formulaic enough compared to previous ES games. You're frustrated with SWTOR design choices because they aren't open ended enough. When you're looking at what a game hasn't instead of what it has, you'll always end up disappointed.

I am still interested mainly in Wildstar. The combat is solid with just need of tweaks. My main issue with the game is the lower level content questing, but once you get high enough level the game really opens with that robust housing and the game has some very nice features that still have me interested in doing. Their pax presentations really impressed me with how they plan on keeping the content fresh.

uzit88

What a pain in the bum...Could'nt install the game via disks so downloaded the client and let it download 22gb, after it finished downloaded I get a Error code 1060..it restarts everything and starts re-downloading...

I have Boot camp so trying to install the game there with the disks, if not then I dont know what to do..

Seil

What a pain in the bum...Could'nt install the game via disks so downloaded the client and let it download 22gb, after it finished downloaded I get a Error code 1060..it restarts everything and starts re-downloading...

I have Boot camp so trying to install the game there with the disks, if not then I dont know what to do..

Wow that sucks =/ I'm on OS X as well, but had no problem with the download. Hopefully it'll work out for you x.x

So how is everyone spreading their crafting skills? I'm still contemplating if I just want to put it all on one character, or spread out the crafts amongst my alts. Currently my main has every motif so I'd be able to make every look if I put it all on one character, but at the same time I'd have to invest a lot of skill points into all the crafts.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I disagree. ESO has actually exceeded my expectations at least 5-fold. (granted I never played beta and had really low expectations lol)

I feel the stories of the questing is the best of any MMO, or at least tied with SWTOR. That's what really draws me into those two games.

It's the very opposite of a WoW-clone, which is what makes this refreshing and really different. It was such a shock that a MMO nowdays doesn't automatically point out all quests for you... in ESO you actually gotta take the time to explore and find them. It's pretty awesome.

I feel the way you think KePow - I'm pretty much feeling the exact same way with ESO.

The exploration, finding quests of the hidden track, branching from that quest to a cool story that I had to find myself.. makes it all feel so much more worthwhile when compared to an exclamation point quest giver at a hub.

The lore/story is the best I've seen in an MMO (and not just because it's a TES title, it's very well implemented regardless) and the humor is very welcome - there's some wacky ass **** said in this game, which I love.

Combat is great - especially once you have your skills increased, I must say I kind of struggled to begin with, pulling too many mobs and dying.. but once you get a feel for everything it's all good.

My main two gripes at the moment are inventory space (about to designate my alt "Cordelia Chase" as a full blown mule), and for gods sake.. GIVE US A FOV SLIDER FOR FIRST PERSON VIEW.

9.5 out of 10 for me currently... so addictive, fun and about 5 times better than I expected.

timkunedo

Has anyone spent any time fishing? I've read online that you can level up fishing and get different fishing poles, etc. I've yet to see any prompt about leveling and such. Is the fishing bugged or am i doing it wrong?

Top Bottom