• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

squadr0n

Yeah, quests that are the same level as you, BUT have a boss are a bitch. I had a few that I could never beat until I leveled up a bit higher. Anything that is a boss, even if equal to your level, you will die if you are alone. They are manageable if you are 2 levels above, but even then they can be tricky.

Yea apparently. I did the giant skeleton boss fight first and did it in one try. Didnt think I would have this much trouble now lol.

Giggzy

I'm enjoying that I can't face roll all quests in this game like I can in other MMO's. I actually have to map out a plan otherwise I'll die. It also makes keeping potions on hand important.

Not much of a difference. I have a Samsung SSD Pro on my gaming rig and I also installed the game on my laptop with a traditional HDD for my Wife to try out and load times were pretty much the same.

I just wish they would optimize the game and improve driver support. I have a SLI setup with 2xTitans and get down to low 35's FPS in towns etc. Pretty annoying.

MMOs are by their nature pretty CPU bound and multi GPU setups don't do a whole lot or even anything. In many cases turning off the 2nd GPU can even make things feel smoother because of improved frame timing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm enjoying that I can't face roll all quests in this game like I can in other MMO's. I actually have to map out a plan otherwise I'll die. It also makes keeping potions on hand important.

if you mean the game is hard...I dont know what to tell you, ive been pretty much destroying everything easily o_O

edit: and no, this isnt a "lookout we have a badass over here" post, its just I felt you were misrepresentating the game, at least in my opinion. Its not any different from any other mmo from what ive seen

BigDamnHero

Neo Member
Would Dragon Knight be the best option if I wanna tank?

DK and Templar offer more traditional tanking, but a lot of the core tanking abilities (taunts and interrupts, for instance) are available in the one-handed/shield weapon skill tree.

I actually play with a very effective Nightblade tank. He uses sword and board and relies heavily on siphoning and evasion.

jasonng

I tried sending @Emenis a mail for an invite but it says I can't find player? Can anyone send me an invite to the NA guild?

@thisisjasonng

Thanks!

Started an alt on Daggerfall Covenant and I have to say, I really like the super European gothic area with the dead trees and werewolves and stuff.

Hawk269

MMOs are by their nature pretty CPU bound and multi GPU setups don't do a whole lot or even anything. In many cases turning off the 2nd GPU can even make things feel smoother because of improved frame timing.

I tried that. I have an I7-3930x OC to 4.8, I disabled SLI and tried using only 1 Titan which is also OC, but still the same drops to low 30's in towns.

SummitAve

Banned
if you mean the game is hard...I dont know what to tell you, ive been pretty much destroying everything easily o_O

edit: and no, this isnt a "lookout we have a badass over here" post, its just I felt you were misrepresentating the game, at least in my opinion. Its not any different from any other mmo from what ive seen

I'm dying constantly :/ It's easy to get overwhelmed.

Rhaknar, confirmed badass.

Giggzy

I don't know if I'd necessarily call it "hard", but it's extremely easy to get overwhelmed, at least I am. Pulling 2 mobs at once is doable but I need to play well. 3+ and I'm most likely going to die. It could be because I'm still level 9 and haven't accessed a plethora of my skills yet, but I can't really say.

My comparison was directly related to other MMO's though. The only other MMO that offered a challenge for me while leveling was The Secret World.

Ricker

DK and Templar offer more traditional tanking, but a lot of the core tanking abilities (taunts and interrupts, for instance) are available in the one-handed/shield weapon skill tree.

I actually play with a very effective Nightblade tank. He uses sword and board and relies heavily on siphoning and evasion.

Yep and my Templar Breton is almost a full healer lol...works well so far...(just finished Deshaan) around level 22...

Somnia

I have attained the rank of VR1 8)

Also, here are some screenies of the explorable Coldharbour area. Not embedding them because they're a little big, and because some may not want to be spoiled. There's no story related spoilers here, though.

http://abload.de/img/coldharbour1nfkws.png
http://abload.de/img/coldharbour23vkqv.png
http://abload.de/img/coldharbour3s5klc.png
http://abload.de/img/coldharbour4q6jsv.png
http://abload.de/img/coldharbour5c0kd2.png

Congrats! Now we can do vet dungeons together. BTW exp needed to go from VR2 to 3 is... 916,000 lol so crazy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
maybe its just a templar thing then...

I rush onto packs of 4-5 mobs, spam the stabby spear thing, and everything dies :/ sorry

Dude this game is a lot harder than MH man

he was comparing to mmos like wow/swtor/guildwars/etc, not action rpg style things (I assume). Also, what ISNT harder than MH >_>

Hurley

When you open the map and hover your mouse over,say, a plantation or a temple etc and it says you saved x or tracked down x, stuff like that, does that mean you've done all the quests for that little area?

Rhaknar

When you open the map and hover your mouse over,say, a plantation or a temple etc and it says you saved x or tracked down x, stuff like that, does that mean you've done all the quests for that little area?

if its white yes

Hawk269

Need some input guys. I recently got married and my wife has been watching me play the game and out of the blue she asked if she can try it. So we whipped her up a character and 3 days later she wanted me to order her a copy. I have a dedicated gaming rig and I also have the game on my laptop, but instead of having the laptop connected to our 65" HDTV we are thinking of building her a gaming rig.

I have a massive gaming rig so we don't need anything like what I have, but I do want her to have smooth framerate and 1080p with most things turned up to high. She mainly want's it for this game and perhaps a few other games like Skyrim or slower paced games. So what kind of CPU/GPU combo are you guys using that gives you 60fps/1080p with most settings set to high/ultra?

Ghost23

Is their badass Daedric armor in this game?

Ugh I'm so torn between this or wild star. Hopefully I will get to try wildstar this weekend.

Need some input guys. I recently got married and my wife has been watching me play the game and out of the blue she asked if she can try it. So we whipped her up a character and 3 days later she wanted me to order her a copy. I have a dedicated gaming rig and I also have the game on my laptop, but instead of having the laptop connected to our 65" HDTV we are thinking of building her a gaming rig.

I have a massive gaming rig so we don't need anything like what I have, but I do want her to have smooth framerate and 1080p with most things turned up to high. She mainly want's it for this game and perhaps a few other games like Skyrim or slower paced games. So what kind of CPU/GPU combo are you guys using that gives you 60fps/1080p with most settings set to high/ultra?

I have an I5-3570k, 660 GTX, and 16GB Ram and I get mostly 60+ FPS outside of towns on Ultra settings, and ~80+ FPS in indoor locations. Only time I dip down is in heavily crowded areas, but even in Cyrodiil I never have to drop below ultra, think I get between 40-50fps there.

Giggzy

I have an I5-3570k, 660 GTX, and 16GB Ram and I get mostly 60+ FPS outside of towns on Ultra settings, and ~80+ FPS in indoor locations. Only time I dip down is in heavily crowded areas, but even in Cyrodiil I never have to drop below ultra, think I get between 40-50fps there.

Is your 3570k OC'd? I have the same setup but with a 760 GTX and 8gb of ram and it definitely doesn't feel like I get 60+ FPS anywhere in the game. I could be wrong though as I don't know how to view the FPS, just going by feels.

Alur

My build was/is fairly cheap as everything but the card is from SWTOR's launch. I have an i7-2600k/GTX 660 Ti/16 GB RAM and I run 80-95 in the world and dip to about 48-58 in town in some spots. Not tried Cyrodiil yet, though.

I've never noticed a bit of lag excepting those fall through the world moments.

Teletraan1

Banned

I have a i5 3570 overclocked to 4.5Ghz and a 670 and I get 60FPS outside of cities. 45-55 in cities on ultra at 1080p. The frame rate in cities must be Hero engine problems because neither my GPU or CPU go anywhere north of 75% utilization even in the busiest area.

HowZatOZ

Banned

I'm running a 3770l, GTX570 and 8GB RAM, find myself only dipping below 60FPS in the rather busy sections. Everything is on ultra besides shadows as I turn them off (never liked shadows in any game before).

I'd say go for the 3770 or 4770 (not OC'ed), 8GB of RAM and a 760. You could save a bit of cash by going an AMD R9 series card, but either way that style of system shold suffice.

KePoW

Banned
I'm running a 3770l, GTX570 and 8GB RAM, find myself only dipping below 60FPS in the rather busy sections. Everything is on ultra besides shadows as I turn them off (never liked shadows in any game before).

wtf... this is the weirdest thing I have heard haha

HowZatOZ

Banned
wtf... this is the weirdest thing I have heard haha
I know, its a super strange thing but I just can't stand shadows, never have and never will. The drawback on performance is just not worth seeing pretty black blobs on the ground that I barely look at, and it means I can enjoy higher settings elsewhere.

Swuabino

Broke down and bought this last night, and really enjoying it so far. It actually does a surprisingly great job of feeling like an Elder Scrolls game. Playing as a Nightblade currently, but tempted to dive into magic a bit.

Only level 6 or so, but would love to party up with some GAFers at some point. @Swuabino if there's still room in the NA guild.

Is your 3570k OC'd? I have the same setup but with a 760 GTX and 8gb of ram and it definitely doesn't feel like I get 60+ FPS anywhere in the game. I could be wrong though as I don't know how to view the FPS, just going by feels.

Nope just stock currently. Getting about 48 FPS in the middle of Daggerfall and ~62ish around Deleyn's Mill

I have a i5 3570 overclocked to 4.5Ghz and a 670 and I get 60FPS outside of cities. 45-55 in cities on ultra at 1080p. The frame rate in cities must be Hero engine problems because neither my GPU or CPU go anywhere north of 75% utilization even in the busiest area.

Game doesn't use the Hero engine, that was just something they were doing for internal testing. Currently its some custom in house engine they are using.

Chris_C

Are there any good deals on this at the moment? Picked it up yesterday on a whim and would like to play with a buddy, so he'd need a copy.

Reading the FPS people are getting on their rigs then I must be getting similar. It just doesn't feel like it

FPS fluctuates pretty heavily while playing, I think this is probably what contributes most to it not feeling like a smooth experience. Ill go from 40 to 70 to 55 to 60 and so on.

Was unsure of this but seen some good stuff about it on here and spent my weekend on it all day. I really want to play as the Nightblade class but I get destroyed so fast even if I am careful.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Are there any good deals on this at the moment? Picked it up yesterday on a whim and would like to play with a buddy, so he'd need a copy.
GMG have it for $48 if you use the 20% off code roaming around.

Here's a recent Q&A done on the new Craglorn zone, sounds really awesome:
Does Craglorn have separate instances for each alliance or do all three alliances intermingle? - LonePirate

Craglorn will function in a manner similar to how Coldharbour works now. Each alliance will go to an identical version.

Did you add more Veteran Ranks? There was a part in the video where the character was Veteran Rank 12! - Austin Parker

Craglorn and the Trials will range from Veteran Rank 11 to Veteran Rank 12, but you will be able to visit at Veteran Rank 1 or above.

Are Adventure Zones instanced to your group? - Magnussen

An Adventure Zone is a large area where you can explore and meet other groups along the way. The overland terrain isn’t instanced. However, much of the content you’ll find in Craglorn, like delves and points of interest, are instanced for your group.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I don't think he's misrepresenting the game at all... I've played multiple MMOs, and this is definitely in the 'harder' category in relation to the rest.

Having said that, it's obviously not Dark Souls hard at all.. but for an MMO, the PvE has spikes of difficulty that are definitely worthy of merit, and I for one like how the difficulty isn't always the same; keeps you on your toes.

Top Bottom