• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Has anyone spent any time fishing? I've read online that you can level up fishing and get different fishing poles, etc. I've yet to see any prompt about leveling and such. Is the fishing bugged or am i doing it wrong?

I think fishing was supposed to be a lot more robust than it currently is, but for whatever reason a lot of it was put on hold before launch. There are supposedly a bunch of recipes and items in the game files that never appear in game in regards to fishing. Sadly, I don't think it really serves a purpose currently, but that will probably change in time.

Alur

Think many MMOs have done a far better job at immersion when it comes to storyline. You have neat phasing like technology in ESO, and solo questing barriers in place, yet so many quests are left open to the public which just doesn't make sense. In most MMOs now important story aspects are instanced off to not ruin immersion, SWTOR, GW2, FFXIV, TSW, and on and on. Most MMOs feel like they realized what they are making and make allowances for the world aspect, while ESO so much of the game feels like a SP game instead. It's very odd design when there are bunch of ESO quests that do instance off and are solo player only for storyline reasons, yet then they keep others open. I'm only 16 so far, and have yet to see any reason why this is a MP game other than to kill my immersion.

I can see your complaint about others diverging into your main storyline questing...but I feel you and I are talking about two different things. There are very few main storyline quests. One every five levels, or so it seems. I can't recall mine being interrupted by other players wandering around as I'm fairly sure they were instanced, but I may be wrong on that.

The other quests definitely vary from folks interceding within them, but (again) that is something that is common to MMOs. Just because WoW eventually developed the technology to prevent that, it was still that way for years. SWTOR put you in your own little isolation chambers - I don't know why anyone would prefer that. Either way, it's a hard argument to convince people who have played each that the non-mainline quests in any of those games are as good as the ones in ESO. These quests are involved and brilliant insofar as tacked on sidequests go. You really feel like they matter. Some dude named Master Blaster killing the level 13 bandit prince and getting me a free quest completion doesn't bother me in the least.

Certainly, your concerns on this topic and mine are entirely different. I could care less. I don't play any MMO for the story, it's just a nice side effect. You see no reason for it to be multiplayer other than to kill your immersion when you are level 16 and haven't PVPed, done a dungeon, grouped to do quests, etc? MMOs are about the community. Of course you won't see the need if you don't involve yourself.

I never felt SWTOR was being another KOTOR, it was another theme park WoW like clone, that was clear from the start. So much of the hype though here has been how this game feels like a true ES title, yet having played most of the titles, I'm not seeing it at all. As you say, you give up to get, but what am I getting as I have yet to experience anything other than a substandard ES offering that has a sub fee? So I'm losing a ton of the freedom and options of a standard ES title in favor of what exactly? It does just feel like a step backwards, a limited version of a ES title. I still have to try the pvp to see if that gives me a proper framework but right now it's hard, but alas my money is spent so I might as well try and see if my opinion changes. I would like to experience a more lived in world when it comes to a MMO, stuff like FFXIV recently did a good job of it feeling like a busy living world because of the players in it.

My point was that SWTOR detractors whined that it wasn't KOTOR (though there were a good deal claiming it was a WoW clone, as well). You are more or less doing the same thing for this new MMO, which I find amusing considering you are a longtime SWTOR player. ESO isn't a traditional ES game is what your complaint is, is it not? What freedom are you losing? What specific features are missing from this massively multiplayer version are the ones you cannot live without? I can't speak on that in depth because I never got too into the console versions of the game. The emptiness never appealed and I detest first person perspective with a passion.

As for a busy lived in world...your primary complaint is about how folks are running around interrupting your questing like crazy, so how can you say the world is not busy? I see players everywhere. There are very few questlines I've done where I haven't encountered at least 3 or 4 others (and often more) doing the same thing. Towns are littered with NPCs and other players. I find it amazing, honestly, coming from a game like SWTOR which definitely seemed empty in a lot of places (Corridor-scant for example). FFXIV is a good example, I'll give you that, but this MMO seems quite busy and lifelike to me particularly in comparison to a game like SWTOR or TERA or Rift. Even compared to Wildstar beta, really. Basically, right now it's busier than any game that isn't WoW when an expansion hit. It's definitely busier right now than the last few times I logged into FFXIV.

I've hit 10 and 25 in EP, 10 in AD, and two 6's in DC factions and they all seem well populated. They should, though. It is launch. I don't understand what you are meaning by this.

I am still interested mainly in Wildstar. The combat is solid with just need of tweaks. My main issue with the game is the lower level content questing, but once you get high enough level the game really opens with that robust housing and the game has some very nice features that still have me interested in doing. Their pax presentations really impressed me with how they plan on keeping the content fresh.

On the Wildstar front, I was referencing your disappointment in how it was yet another WoW-like clone that didn't change the game like you wanted. I'm not sold on the combat style either (for PVP at least). The story isn't much to write home about, as well, and is certainly more deserving of complaint than ESO's. All that said, I will definitely be trying it out. I try 'em all out cause I'm a sucker.

You said your main issue with Wildstar is lower level questing...which appears to be your concern here to a degree when you get down to it. Maybe you are okay with MMOs, it's just that don't like leveling to get to the good stuff? :p

Volimar

Has anyone spent any time fishing? I've read online that you can level up fishing and get different fishing poles, etc. I've yet to see any prompt about leveling and such. Is the fishing bugged or am i doing it wrong?

I've never heard that, but I do like to fish a lot. There's something about it that's just serene.

Every MMO breaks immersion, even SWTOR and FFXIV. Just because the actual story is instanced off doesn't mean immersion isn't broken. In this games case it just can happen more abruptly.

SWTOR has this stupid looking red/green phase markers. Also weirded me out seeing people walk into them and "fade away" or run into yours and fade into it like a ghost. Not to mention the game also focused on story OUTSIDE of instanced main story quests. So while listening to some random fetch quest's story you hear all the idiots around you spamming grenades, emoting, etc.

FFXIV breaks immersion through the 2909202 people standing outside your instanced event. The game also does a poor job of making the world feel connected and real. Everything is instanced but not connected The world itself feels very static with everything needed to be entered from a glowy portal or a menu. I disliked that you can see the entrance of all the dungeons, but none of them are fleshed out in a way that they blend in with the surroundings well, but this may just be an art style issue.

Also I believe the main story is always instanced. To my knowledge, the guild and faction quests are also instanced per character. Public dungeons and quests aren't.

I can't even recall the last MMO I played that had instanced public quests.

EDIT: My character seems to be forever stuck in Cyrodiil.

Man, the game needs more of those epic public dungeons that every zone seems to have 1 of. The ones that don't follow standard dungeon design, have quests, and multiple elites. So much fun, forces you to actually work with other people to progress.

They're like the MMO version of Rayman's music levels.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've played a lot of MMOs. Everquest, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, FF XIV, Guild Wars 2, Rift.... and I'll say this for Elder Scrolls Online:

It certainly feels different from all the rest.

I loved it at first, then some of its jankiness caught up to me and I began to feel a little meh. But I'm sliding back towards love, at the moment.

As others have mentioned, it's serene, relaxed pace really set it apart. That combined with its genuinely open-ended and powerful player progression gives the game a really unique feel. This might be the most powerful and flexible set of character building tools ever in a big MMO - surprised it isn't getting more attention.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Alrighty. I'm sunk a good number of hours into the game tonight. I have to say that I'm pretty overwhelmed. In a good way. First off, this feels like a legit Elder Scrolls game. A bunch of the stuff I was doing in Skyrim, I'm also doing here. I'm seriously having a good time. I'm also overwhelmed by the amount of skills one can learn and use to piece together builds. Then there is crafting on top of that (is there a recipe vendor?) which really tickles my fancy.

Obviously, I'm very early (lvl 6) but I'm pretty impressed. So many options to style your character. I may just take this character and play around with things, then restart as a focused character type that I really would like to be. Is this a smart plan of action?

Any words of advice for a newbie?

Hurley

Decided to give this a crack, been a while since I played an MMO.

ihavenoideawhatimdoing

Feeling pretty overwhelmed tbh. I'm having fun though so that's a positive.

Kuntz

Having a blast just looting everything everywhere...

Requesting entry into GAF EU guild :)

ID is Mokhnaar.
See you there!

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
So is there a guide to the map markers? They aren't all included in the map legend. I've learned that some are dungeons, challenges, etc but just discovered this on my own.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Is it a good idea to dedicate one alt 100% to crafting? I've done a little bit of Provisioning on my Main, but since crafting requires you to put in Skill Points, which seem pretty darn important as you level, I'm thinking about switching.

Of course, for this method, you'd still need to unlock the skill points on the crafting alt. So maybe better to spread crafting around across multiple toons, like a standard MMO.

What a clever game ESO is, with things like this! No need to artificially limit players to 2 crafts like other games. Instead just let them limit themselves, by making it tied to the same scarce skill points.

Despite not enjoying the beta, I decided to pick this up. Going to take it slow and play it like I would a regular ES game, hopefully it clicks.

And can I get an invite to the NA guild? @Xenonexus

Hawk269

Despite not enjoying the beta, I decided to pick this up. Going to take it slow and play it like I would a regular ES game, hopefully it clicks.

And can I get an invite to the NA guild? @Xenonexus

That is what I am doing. I had it since the 5 day early start and barely at Level 10 right now. I have been doing a lot of exploring, just walking around finding wood/ore etc since I am leveling up my woodworking, but still finding a ton of side quests in the first area. I also just followed the road to other areas that I am too low level, just to see them.

But been taking the time to look in all the nooks and crannys finding intereting things and books etc. It really is like a single player ES game, but with all the MMO things added in. Been having such a good time with it, but still learning as well.

Kem0sabe

I cant but distrust Zenimax that bank space was made purposely small just to add an option for inventory space in the ingame store.

There is no logical reason to have a small bank inventory shared between all accounts, and with ridiculously expensive upgrades. Thousands of gold just for 100 slot shared bank? It's insulting.

Giggzy

What are the skull and crossbone markers on the map for? I've ran to the locations that have them but there doesn't seem to be anything for me to do there.

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
What are the skull and crossbone markers on the map for? I've ran to the locations that have them but there doesn't seem to be anything for me to do there.

It's a challenge area.. you fight spawns for 10-15 minutes then a boss is supposed to show up. I've never done this successfully though yet.

I don't know what a lot of the markers on the map mean.

docbon

Bosses spawn there. If they aren't there, then they were killed recently by another group.

Dunlop

It's a challenge area.. you fight spawns for 10-15 minutes then a boss is supposed to show up. I've never done this successfully though yet.

thanks, I had no idea. I would head over to hit and for me it looks like nothing ever happened.

I just hit 15, does your "swap" weapon gain XP when you cash in quests? For a while now I have bow primary and when I cash in quests I would equip my restore staff to at least get it a few levels

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

you are talking about the swirly markers, which are the anchors from the sky

the skull and crossbones are hard as shit elites, well, for 1 or 2 people, you get a group in since its a open area and its trivial. the problem is finding people around that zone at the same time, especially if you are OCD about doing all the things on the map like I am (they do give xp when you complete them tho)

Giggzy

Bosses spawn there. If they aren't there, then they were killed recently by another group.

Interesting. My timing must have been bad both times I visited a marker.

I'm trying to think of other markers on the map I'm unsure about. I just found out about the public dungeon marker over the weekend which was nice. They're pretty fun, even with the campers at the boss.

It's going to take me awhile to hit 50 in this game. I've spent at least 25 hours playing and have only hit level 9, lol.

Anyone thinking of giving this a try I have a of extra couple of retail keys for $40 with the travellers pack code that gives you an in game pet, lets you play any race in any alliance, and some treasure maps, whatever they are.

Let me know.

Enjoying it for the most part so far, beginning was VERY slow, but it is a bit of a change of pace, which is nice.

Vylsith

Banned
I've been in the dark about this. How bad is it? I know that the combat doesn't match a ES game, but it's not even enjoyable?

Combat is considerably better than other ES games honestly. The addition of skills you can choose to use adds a lot of variety to the game. Since when did ES have good combat anyway? Skyrim was a pretty great game all things considered (though I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas were better overall), but combat was pretty repetitive in my opinion. The fact that every item you found in the game was worse than what you could craft within the first 50 hours of play was also a huge let down. ESO fixes a lot of the problems that Skyrim had, and they blended MMO with traditional ES in a pretty awesome way. I'm loving it so far.

ohNOitsRO

Yeah there's something about this game... It's just an extremely refreshing MMO.. Like I'm not even entirely sure what it is but I am really really enjoying it

Hawk269

Do we have any crafters here that can help shed some light on some of the nuances of crafting?

For example, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to research Traits when using Woodworking. Someone said that you have to have an item in your inventory, then you can research it. So I made a Bow and nothing is open to allow it to research it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
Do we have any crafters here that can help shed some light on some of the nuances of crafting?

For example, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to research Traits when using Woodworking. Someone said that you have to have an item in your inventory, then you can research it. So I made a Bow and nothing is open to allow it to research it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

You have to have an item with that trait in your inventory. The are usually loot drops you get. You then research it which destroys the item in the process.

Giggzy

You have to have an item with that trait in your inventory. The are usually loot drops you get. You then research it which destroys the item in the process.

Oh shit... Learning something new everyday with this game. I've been deconstructing every item I find or selling it to a vendor. Had no idea how researching worked.

How big (GB) is this game? I'm about to buy it but only have around 40GB free on my SSD.

you need 60 GB to install it. After it is installed, it's like 30GB

If you don't have a larger drive or can't temporarily free up 20+GB on your SSD, you may be out of luck.

Mudo

Ok I just bought the game with a 20% of GMG code for $48 and have basically done zero research on the game up until today because of all the bad impressions GAF was giving during beta. I've been reading the OT since launch and it seems like I'm going to love this game.
I have 1 question about factions:
If I play Aldmeri Dominion (sp?), it looks like most of their area is a forest type. Is this true? As in, will I be in a forest for pretty much my entire levelling???
I want to not do the Skyrim area as I've seen that (recently, in the SP game), but the other area also seemed interesting, other than the desert. I'm conflicted - any thoughts appreciated!

Hawk269

Oh shit... Learning something new everyday with this game. I've been deconstructing every item I find or selling it to a vendor. Had no idea how researching worked.

LMFAO. Been doing the same thing myself. I wonder how many things I did that with and not know this. I was able to research a Robe, but had no idea what criteria presented itself to do it and never been able to do it again. Now I am pissed! lol.

BTW...If anyone wants to trade Iron Ore for Wood, I have over 400 pieces of Iron Ore and would trade for Wood. I am in the NA guild under @Hawk269.

Giggzy

Ok I just bought the game with a 20% of GMG code for $48 and have basically done zero research on the game up until today because of all the bad impressions GAF was giving during beta. I've been reading the OT since launch and it seems like I'm going to love this game.
I have 1 question about factions:
If I play Aldmeri Dominion (sp?), it looks like most of their area is a forest type. Is this true? As in, will I be in a forest for pretty much my entire levelling???
I want to not do the Skyrim area as I've seen that (recently, in the SP game), but the other area also seemed interesting, other than the desert. I'm conflicted - any thoughts appreciated!

I wish I could help you! I've played over 20 hours and still haven't left my first zone as Ebonheart. I would hope the zones vary as I'm growing a little bored of this fiery mountain.

Hawk269

I have a standard HDD too with plenty space, dunno if performance would differ..

Not much of a difference. I have a Samsung SSD Pro on my gaming rig and I also installed the game on my laptop with a traditional HDD for my Wife to try out and load times were pretty much the same.

I just wish they would optimize the game and improve driver support. I have a SLI setup with 2xTitans and get down to low 35's FPS in towns etc. Pretty annoying.

Giggzy

LMFAO. Been doing the same thing myself. I wonder how many things I did that with and not know this. I was able to research a Robe, but had no idea what criteria presented itself to do it and never been able to do it again. Now I am pissed! lol.

BTW...If anyone wants to trade Iron Ore for Wood, I have over 400 pieces of Iron Ore and would trade for Wood. I am in the NA guild under @Hawk269.

Hahaha. I just figured researching would open up once I hit a certain level in my desired profession. Oh well, now I know.

That's a good idea as far as trading crafting supples goes. I should start doing that. I only loot crafting mats that I need for clothing and that's it. I get anxiety when my bags get full too quickly lol so that's why I never bothered with other mats.

BadTaste

Not much of a difference. I have a Samsung SSD Pro on my gaming rig and I also installed the game on my laptop with a traditional HDD for my Wife to try out and load times were pretty much the same.

I just wish they would optimize the game and improve driver support. I have a SLI setup with 2xTitans and get down to low 35's FPS in towns etc. Pretty annoying.

Ha, okay. HDD it is then, thanks for telling me.

squadr0n

Ive got a lvl 8 Dragonborn and im wondering when you move on to the next area. Im still running quests in Stonefalls and Skyrim I think but im getting down to having little to no quests I can do atm. Most of the quests left in my journal are either way low lvl or like lvl 12. Theres also one quest where you have to retrieve someones head or heart, its a boss fight against a mage that turns herself into a giant medusa like thing. Its only lvl 8 but im seriously having problems beating this boss fight, anyone willing to help?

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
Ive got a lvl 8 Dragonborn and im wondering when you move on to the next area. Im still running quests in Stonefalls and Skyrim I think but im getting down to having little to no quests I can do atm. Most of the quests left in my journal are either way low lvl or like lvl 12. Theres also one quest where you have to retrieve someones head or heart, its a boss fight against a mage that turns herself into a giant medusa like thing. Its only lvl 8 but im seriously having problems beating this boss fight, anyone willing to help?

You are the chosen one. I have heard the prophecy.

KePoW

Banned
It's going to take me awhile to hit 50 in this game. I've spent at least 25 hours playing and have only hit level 9, lol.

Don't feel weird. I'm also level 9 and have played well over 20 hours.

(although I play four different characters, one of each class)

Hawk269

Well the chosen one is getting his prophicised ass handed too him in this boss fight, over and over and over and.............

Yeah, quests that are the same level as you, BUT have a boss are a bitch. I had a few that I could never beat until I leveled up a bit higher. Anything that is a boss, even if equal to your level, you will die if you are alone. They are manageable if you are 2 levels above, but even then they can be tricky.

Top Bottom