• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Teletraan1

Banned
Game doesn't use the Hero engine, that was just something they were doing for internal testing. Currently its some custom in house engine they are using.

My mistake. I figured it was some modified version since it exhibits a lot of the same deficiencies. Poor performance with large crowds of player characters, long load times (I remember it taking 5-10 minutes to load Alderaan on a mechanical HDD when SWTOR launched), lack of a 64 bit client. I could have sworn I saw a Hero Engine insignia somewhere on this game. The tinfoil hat side of me suggests they are using a modified version of the Hero engine and just wanted to avoid the negative shitstorm SWTOR got for using this engine especially after how terrible performance in PVP was at the launch of that game.

Oh man the daedric armor is UGLY

http://imgur.com/a/V9IGQ#NjnqyGd

lol-dave-grohl-meme-generator-omg-ew-3fb083.jpg

who thought that looked good enough to be put in the game???

Ghost23

I was just thinking the polar opposite.. shiny if you ask me (then again, I wore Crocs for a week...) ;)

It's not THAT bad, but it does not look like heavy armor. I also don't care for the blue. Granted this is the white crafted version so it probably looks better the higher the rarity.

Completely agree about the difficulty. Much harder than most other MMOs today, reminds me of some the time spent in the early days of FFXI. Unforgiving fights leave little room for error, even early on.

It's it the end of the world if you forget to block, interrupt, or dodge in a dungeon but it hurts a lot. Keeps people on their toes,

I've seen people get one shot in dungeons for making mistakes. I like it. It's not unfair, it just shakes people up. Makes me excited to see how the raids work out in the next update.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
My mistake. I figured it was some modified version since it exhibits a lot of the same deficiencies. Poor performance with large crowds of player characters, long load times (I remember it taking 5-10 minutes to load Alderaan on a mechanical HDD when SWTOR launched), lack of a 64 bit client. I could have sworn I saw a Hero Engine insignia somewhere on this game. The tinfoil hat side of me suggests they are using a modified version of the Hero engine and just wanted to avoid the negative shitstorm SWTOR got for using this engine especially after how terrible performance in PVP was at the launch of that game.

I dunno, I'm a little astounded at times how well my game runs with 200+ people fighting and all the siege battle graphics/animations, definitely runs more smoothly than most of the zerg pvp games I've played (looking at you gw2).

It's not even comparable to SW:TOR. SW:TOR completely broke down on any and every machine when more than 20 people were fighting.

hepburn3d

Reached a hiccup. Level 12, been playing with wife, she's heavy DPS, I'm heavy healer. Doing a mission called:

Find the Tower (I think)

You have to go into a dungeon where you're instanced into your own dungeon and fight a witch who turns into a serpheant. I deal so little damage that by the time I get her to 90% health she insta-heals if you miss one spinning purple ball. So annoying. So now I'm having to level up some DPS abilities to be able to do it. Seems a bit "forced".

Also very irritating that if you are constantly dodging and don't realise how far you've gone from a boss spawning point they suddenly stop fighting, go to full health and run back to their starting point. At least let me drag them about 10 meters to some open ground. GRrrr

iso135

Yeah, quests that are the same level as you, BUT have a boss are a bitch. I had a few that I could never beat until I leveled up a bit higher. Anything that is a boss, even if equal to your level, you will die if you are alone. They are manageable if you are 2 levels above, but even then they can be tricky.

Concur with this. And love it. Makes me either group up or level up. But adds some challenge to see how low level you can beat a quest boss.

Reached a hiccup. Level 12, been playing with wife, she's heavy DPS, I'm heavy healer. Doing a mission called:

Find the Tower (I think)

You have to go into a dungeon where you're instanced into your own dungeon and fight a witch who turns into a serpheant. I deal so little damage that by the time I get her to 90% health she insta-heals if you miss one spinning purple ball. So annoying. So now I'm having to level up some DPS abilities to be able to do it. Seems a bit "forced".

Also very irritating that if you are constantly dodging and don't realise how far you've gone from a boss spawning point they suddenly stop fighting, go to full health and run back to their starting point. At least let me drag them about 10 meters to some open ground. GRrrr

Yea only DPS characters are gonna have an easy time with that boss. You need to level up more if you're a sorcerer or just keep trying.

When you boot up the game there's a big hero engine logo..

There's a Havok, not Hero, engine logo.

I really wish they would add nameplates back in, or at least give a reason as to why they were taken out of the options. Trying to follow a leader over Vent in RvR is a nightmare when you are in a pile of people and everyone has the same party symbol. At least put a special colored / shaped symbol for a raid leader or something.

Finally hit 15, the quests chains in Camlorn in Glenumbra were really cool. I think this is the first game to absolutely blow WoW's phasing out of the water in actually feeling like you are impacting the world.

Hellers

Yea only DPS characters are gonna have an easy time with that boss. You need to level up more if you're a sorcerer or just keep trying.

It's a very weird difficulty spike to have so early to be honest. I was even aware of the mechanics when I took my Sorc through first time on level. I must have put out enough spike damage that I took her down before the orbs first spawned. When I went through with my duel wield NB I just couldn't take the orbs down fast enough until I switched to bow. Then I had enough time.

Ghost23

I think i want to go with a tank/bow hybrid with emphasis on the tanking when I get this game. What race would you recommend for this?

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member

Find the Tower (I think)

Took me quite a few tries to do that as well and I'm all DPS. Couldn't you do the quest with your wife together?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Level 8 here, I've found the bows to be very useless...

i don't know. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong.

I get in one or two shots, then the enemies are right up in my grill, so I just start spamming my main physical attacks.. it's quicker to just go up to them in the first place and spam the attacks :(

i just think i'm playing the game wrong.. I don't seem to be doing much more damage now at level 8 than I was at level 3 or so...

also, server maintenance from 8pm + on tuesday and friday (and it was down sunday..) is the worst thing ever.... (australia)

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

I get in one or two shots, then the enemies are right up in my grill, so I just start spamming my main physical attacks.. it's quicker to just go up to them in the first place and spam the attacks :(

i just think i'm playing the game wrong.. I don't seem to be doing much more damage now at level 8 than I was at level 3 or so...

also, server maintenance from 8pm + on tuesday and friday (and it was down sunday..) is the worst thing ever.... (australia)

Attack from stealth with a bow for crits, use abilities that will stun/snare, etc. as well.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Man, can't decide between picking this up or waiting for Wildstar...

If you like/love TES lore, and enjoy growing a character and really being able to customise your combat.... I don't think you can go wrong with at least trying ESO for a month.

I was in the Wildstar camp before getting ESO.. now, well.. I don't know if I'll get it on release due to not wanting to interupt my ESO gametime.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MY GOD do I want native controller support in this game.

The complete shit mouse view stick emulation using Pinnacle is driving me absolutely crazy.

Has there been any word from Bethesda on this?

iso135

Attack from stealth with a bow for crits, use abilities that will stun/snare, etc. as well.

Would it be worth doing a second weapon of bow for a nightblade, medium armor, dual wielding (daggers), DPS build?

Unsure of what I want to use for my second set. I guess I could do stealth bow for crits, or I could go heavy armor and sword and board?

hepburn3d

Took me quite a few tries to do that as well and I'm all DPS. Couldn't you do the quest with your wife together?

No, it phased us into our own instances. Was hard for both of us as she died too quick and I couldn't do enough damage. Seemed to happen in another quest:

Mages guild quest where you teleport to a mage, then go kill a weird dragon thing at the top of an alter. We were forced to fight that seperatley to.

Teletraan1

Banned

Find the Tower (I think)

Kite the serpent out of the balls or kill them yourself, they only took a light attack. if they hit her she heals, if you kill them they heal you. If you have 2 people put one on ball duty while the other kites her around the room.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

The complete shit mouse view stick emulation using Pinnacle is driving me absolutely crazy.

I hear you - I also used Pinnacle for a bit.. but found it totally lacking, and the on-screen prompts for keyboard input is totally off-putting.

If someone made a mod to make controller have native X360 button prompts and proper mouse emulation.. I would pay for it, for reals.

Atomski

Find the Tower (I think)

The fight is actually easy its just they dont explain what is going on.. or atleast I didnt see anything telling me and it dosnt seem very obvious at all.
When she turns into a naga thing there are orbs that will spawn randomly around her. You must destroy those orbs before they get to her. Those are what are healing her to full. If you destroy them also they heal you. I did the same thing it sounds like you are doing at first, ignoring the orbs and just straight dpsing her. She will just heal and heal and you will get nowhere.

Once you know that the fights a breeze.

hepburn3d

So agree with you on this. The pinnacle emulation is close to perfect except for the menu. I have recently discovered you can press 1-5 for dialogue. Makes it so much easier in conversations to access shops and chat to quests givers. Just need them to sort out switching between menu items with the dpad! grrrr sort it out!

Also you can tell the WASD directions are digital even with a controller. I want super smooth movement :D

docbon

PC Gamer review.

I definitely agree with some things, such as some of the building models being reused a little too much. It's funny how he didn't bother to mention the asset reuse in dungeons, though, which is much more egregious from my perspective. I also agree about the use of too few voice actors taking away from the atmosphere, though it's one of those things I can overlook, considering the sheer volume of characters in the game. I also have the same opinion of combat, minus the feeling about the bow lacking lethality. I can do four digit crits on players from stealth using snipe from 40 meters away. You can't tell me that shit isn't lethal. The fog covering what is otherwise a beautiful world can definitely eat a dick, and I pray it's patched out.

However, I don't see the point in generalizing the quests into categories based on their most basic mechanics, especially since the categories laid out in the review are so incredibly broad. It's also a bit silly to speak about the lack of economy in a game less than two weeks old, especially as merchant guilds are still forming with their own private markets. Or about how larger numbers in PVP will usually win, before factions have a chance to organize themselves into coordinated pugs or PVP guilds.

With regard to quest NPCs, It's weird to see him describe quest related NPCs as lifeless. Lifeless (to me) is remaining stationary before, during, and after a quest. Here, it isn't unusual for quest NPCs to tag along for the quest and talk with you along the way. Even if they don't, the phasing system will typically change the state of the area. For instance, during the DC story line where you're fighting against Faolchu's werewolves, you lead an assault to reclaim the camp and gain a foothold to later retake the city. After you complete the quest, the area quietly changes phases. The werewolves you fought are dead for good, the soldiers begin tending to their wounded, and all their dialogue is updated. Basically stuff you'd see in a single player game, but often omitted from MMOs due to difficulty of implementation.

It's also weird because you'll run into a lot of quest NPCs who turn out to be recurring characters in the storyline, and each time you meet them, they'll undergo some kind of growth in their development.

Also he didn't mention any of the serious bugs (bank wipes, inventory slot resets, etc), wtf.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so guys, any tips for levelling up between 13 - my level - and 15? I only have the level 15 quests to do, but don't know where to go. Already done the Banished Cells, I'm in Auridon

I agree with some things he says in the review, but I don't get the impression that he played very much of the game or that he got himself involved in a guild, let alone one of the merchant guilds that players are forming.

Hellers

so guys, any tips for levelling up between 13 - my level - and 15? I only have the level 15 quests to do, but don't know where to go. Already done the Banished Cells, I'm in Auridon

I've got the same problem in Auridon. Never had it in Glenumbra on my Sorceror. I went exploring and it turns out I missed a single level 5 quest chain early on. Can't find anything else I missed apart from one quest I can't finish because a phase change from completing a different quest locked me out of it.

I might just grind for a bit. The combat is pleasant enough.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
PC Gamer review.

I definitely agree with some things, such as some of the building models being reused a little too much. It's funny how he didn't bother to mention the asset reuse in dungeons, though, which is much more egregious from my perspective. I also agree about the use of too few voice actors taking away from the atmosphere, though it's one of those things I can overlook, considering the sheer volume of characters in the game. I also have the same opinion of combat, minus the feeling about the bow lacking lethality. I can do four digit crits on players from stealth using snipe from 40 meters away. You can't tell me that shit isn't lethal. The fog covering what is otherwise a beautiful world can definitely eat a dick, and I pray it's patched out.

However, I don't see the point in generalizing the quests into categories based on their most basic mechanics, especially since the categories laid out in the review are so incredibly broad. It's also a bit silly to speak about the lack of economy in a game less than two weeks old, especially as merchant guilds are still forming with their own private markets. Or about how larger numbers in PVP will usually win, before factions have a chance to organize themselves into coordinated pugs or PVP guilds.

With regard to quest npcs, It's weird to see him describe quest related NPCs as lifeless. Lifeless (to me) is remaining stationary before, during, and after a quest. Here, it isn't unusual for quest NPCs to tag along for the quest and talk with you along the way. Even if they don't, the phasing system will typically change the state of the area. For instance, during the DC story line where you're fighting against Faolchu's werewolves, you lead an assault to reclaim the camp and gain a foothold to later retake the city. After you complete the quest, the area quietly changes phases. The werewolves you fought are dead for good, and the NPCs begin tending to their wounded, and all their dialogue is updated. Basically stuff you'd see in a single player game, but often omitted from MMOs due to difficulty of implementation.

It's also weird because you'll run into a lot of quest NPCs who turn out to be recurring characters in the storyline, and each time you meet them, they'll undergo some kind of growth in their development.

Also he didn't mention any of the serious bugs (bank wipes, inventory slot resets, etc), wtf.

So far what's disappointed me most about the game is that each location doesn't really look that much different. At least in the areas I have been to so far (Ebonheart Pact) and the buildings really do seem to all look a like. It was really nice when I saw an Orc encampment/fort and how different it was from what I had been used to seeing up to that point.

Ricker

If you have done BC,you can now go into the 2 other instances from the other Alliance starting zones,Fungul Grotto and Splindersomething,the later one being the easiest,open the map and back up once or twice and you can teleport to them...also check in your achievements how many quests you have done in the map you are on...

Ordinator

I had the same problem with bows early on. After I found a better bow and unlocked more bow skills, I'm able to kill mobs much easier and quicker. The knockback skill in particular is very useful.

My problem with bows right now is that it seems like light attacks are too weak. From the little testing I've done, it seems like power attacks are more efficient but it's hard to tell.

docbon

Patch Notes

We’ll be pushing a new patch during our regularly scheduled maintenance time tomorrow. The full patch notes will be available during the maintenance period, but we wanted to share the highlights with you now since they were a direct result of your feedback:
  • We have fixed issues with several quests that were blocking main quest progression. Those include Crossing the Chasm, Castle of the Worm, and The Army of Meridia.
  • We have fixed the issue with Liberation of Northpoint. The quest is now completable.
  • We have fixed several issues with Banished Cells that were making it uncompletable.
  • We have made many other quest fixes.
  • We have implemented many new things to thwart gold farmers, spammers, and botters.
In-Progress Updates

In addition to the fixes going live tomorrow, we want to give you a status update on some of the other hot issues we’re working on.

Missing Bank Slots, Stored Bank Items, and Skill Points – We're continuing to investigate the issue, and are working on a fix now. As soon as the fix is ready, we will push it out to the live megaservers. Please note: This may result in a second maintenance this week and when we do push the fix, it will not be retroactive. Know that we want to make this right for all impacted—we’re still exploring options to help those who have stored items/gold, and bank slots go missing.

Long Loading Times/Social Lag – Some people have been experiencing long loading times, guild chat lag, and other social systems lag, especially during peak times. We are aware of this and are actively investigating it. As soon as we have a fix, we will push it live.

Dungeon Treasure Chests – Based on feedback, we are changing treasure chests in instanced dungeons so that everyone gets a piece of loot regardless of who opens the chest. This change is currently being implemented and tested internally and will be released in a future patch as soon as it’s ready. Watch the patch notes for the news.

Public Dungeon & Delve Boss Monsters – Also based on feedback, we will be placing a timer on how often you can get loot from public dungeon and delve boss monsters. This timer is shared across all boss monsters in public dungeons and delves. This will not impact loot timers for quest-specific monsters or overworld group bosses. Watch the patch notes for news on when this change will go live.

Was really hoping the bank / inventory issues would be fixed, alas.

At least the menace of boss camping jerks will soon come to an end.

Ricker

''Dungeon Treasure Chests – Based on feedback, we are changing treasure chests in instanced dungeons so that everyone gets a piece of loot regardless of who opens the chest. This change is currently being implemented and tested internally and will be released in a future patch as soon as it’s ready. Watch the patch notes for the news.''

This is also good news as far as I'm concerned...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
If you have done BC,you can now go into the 2 other instances from the other Alliance starting zones,Fungul Grotto and Splindersomething,the later one being the easiest,open the map and back up once or twice and you can teleport to them...also check in your achievements how many quests you have done in the map you are on...

these are good advices, thanks mate, i will

iso135

I agree with some things he says in the review, but I don't get the impression that he played very much of the game or that he got himself involved in a guild, let alone one of the merchant guilds that players are forming.

Agreed. This game has some faults without doubt, but it seems like he generalized a lot of the issues in his review.

That said, I am currently playing this with a real life friend. To me that is probably the biggest difference for my enjoyment of the game. He is a Tank, and I am a DPS. He is doing blacksmithing and alchemy. I am doing clothier and enchanting. We balance eachother out and work on world bosses and dungeons together. It has made the experience so much better for me. Not sure I would like the game as much as I do if I were not playing with a friend.

The PCGamer review brings up some legitimate points, while others you can easily chalk up to glaring issues of personal opinion. Then again, personally, once PCG Dragon Age 2 a 94, I stopped following them.

EDIT: Patch notes look good. They need to address that bank issue asap.

Dunlop

Are dungeons a daily quest or a single time event?

Hit 15, put a restoration staff as my swap weapon and went and healed BC.

Sure I was going to kill us all, but it turned out fine lol

Not sure I am a fan of every heal being either a aoe or "smart heal"

Alur

There's a Havok, not Hero, engine logo.

I really wish they would add nameplates back in, or at least give a reason as to why they were taken out of the options. Trying to follow a leader over Vent in RvR is a nightmare when you are in a pile of people and everyone has the same party symbol. At least put a special colored / shaped symbol for a raid leader or something.

Finally hit 15, the quests chains in Camlorn in Glenumbra were really cool. I think this is the first game to absolutely blow WoW's phasing out of the water in actually feeling like you are impacting the world.

I'd kill for some nameplates too, just because I like nameplates. That's not even counting how useful they are for grouping, etc.

I've been thinking the same thing about the phasing. When you encounter a quest that has it, it's pretty neat. I went back to Bleakrock and the town there is still overran by the Covenant group that drove us out in the beginning.

No, it phased us into our own instances. Was hard for both of us as she died too quick and I couldn't do enough damage. Seemed to happen in another quest:

All of those guild quests appear to be something you have to do solo. I was trying to help another GAF member yesterday with one of them (Doshia as well, I believe) and we fiddled around for like 20-25 mins before we realized we couldn't do it together.

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
Doing quests with others needs a lot of work. Some quests are marked as shareable but it doesn't always share those quests. I tried to do a simple quest with by brother and it was a lot more difficult to do together than it should have been.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the UI wants people have will get implemented via add-ons. They already do a lot for you as it is. Just give it time.

I mean... People have made grid based inventory, meters, scalable and movable UI, frameworks.... Just a matter of time before we see complete UI overhauls.

Kem0sabe

Are dungeons a daily quest or a single time event?

Hit 15, put a restoration staff as my swap weapon and went and healed BC.

Sure I was going to kill us all, but it turned out fine lol

Not sure I am a fan of every heal being either a aoe or "smart heal"

Dungeon quests are one time only, and you get a skill point at the end of each.

Healing does improve as you go on, depending on class. I have grown more skilled and at ease with my sorcerer, mainly due to the fact that mana management has become much more easy with the passives and high mana pool.

Also, i recommend you pick up circle of protection from the fighters guild skill line, and later morph it to health regeneration. It's an awesome ability and it only costs stamina, so you can spam it where your tank is tanking for some much needed survivability buff.

Dunlop

Also, i recommend you pick up circle of protection from the fighters guild skill line, and later morph it to health regeneration. It's an awesome ability and it only costs stamina, so you can spam it where your tank is tanking for some much needed survivability buff.

thanks! Will go back to doing Fighter Guild quests, think I am lvl 2 atm lol

Top Bottom