• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I just started the game and I am only level 5, I am playing a Templar with Bow/Sunlight Magic. So far I have issues with multiple mobs but I think it's just not having the skill points available yet to invest in a build that has good single target and multi target spells. I can take on two enemies fine just now but any more and I am dead pretty quickly.

I have been making sure I always start my attacks from stealth, I will be investing skill points in abilities that slow/stun/knockback so I can keep my distance and not have to rely on melee abilities at any point.

I have spent a fair bit of time just wandering about though, there's a lot to take in and having actual freedom in what way you play seems great compared to most other MMO's I have played.

hm, yes I should probably look into stealth + attack combos. I guess I just see turning stealth on as using up too much of my small mana pool!

well if I could log in :( getting an unable to connect to server error all night, or time out :(
edit: I'm an idiot lol. Launch game via launcher to ensure patch downloads! not via steam!

now to work out this bowing!

*edit* okay i found that if you delete the "bethesda_launcher.version" file in your Launcher directory and run it again it fixes it.
Cheers for this. Was having the same issue. It eventually let me play anyways, without much incident, but would give that error again after playing.

It's Error 209, to help anyone searching.

Call me crazy but I love the look of Argonian gear. Just made myself some heavy armor, and a greatsword!
I love the design of the Argonian medium armor. Just, uh, skip it when it becomes "skink." It's a hideously bright pink that looked awful on my character.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Well this is pretty awesome...

After today's patch, the launcher gives me an error that it can't determine the game version and to run the game consultant... which I do, but it doesn't do anything but dump a bunch of error report info. it will NOT let me run repair.

I swear if I have to redownload this game i'm gonna be pissed.

*edit* okay i found that if you delete the "bethesda_launcher.version" file in your Launcher directory and run it again it fixes it.

Brilliant... I knew I should have come to GAF before re-downloading the whole client.. *he says after 12 hours of downloading so far...*

:p

Yopis

going from ghratwood (a forrest) to greenshade (another forrest) to mal...mal something, I forget the name...but its another forrest

it was a bit jarring. Im going to be brutally honest, I like the game, in fact quite a bit, but for me it was always going to be something to do until Dark Souls 2 was out, and in that sense, I got my moneys worth (or will have by next week). Im sure ill get my templar to 50 (hes 37 atm), Ive been having fun, and I was never going to resub (I rarely do with new mmos).

For people that intend to be in for the long haul, all the little problems will start to pile up in my opinion

What are some of the the issues just curious.

I think he means stealth from crouching not the actual ability. But I might be wrong!

You are correct, I should have clarified, not 100% on how stealth works in this game but if you take your first shot from hidden/crouched it does extra damage so you can hit them with a strong shot and instantly follow it up with poison arrow and they are at about half health before they even move.

Teletraan1

Banned
Thanks everyone for your posts on bow and arrow stealth play. It sounds like I kinda just need to use the bow intermittently to level it up a bit before I can get some decent skills on it.

I wouldn't mind a guild invite too :)

Dancing Syth

My next matter in the game is how bad I am. I cannot take on more than 1 enemy or I die 90percent of the time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Possibly a lack of blocking other attackers while I'm focusing on one. Or perhaps I just need to invest in some better gear.

I'm level 8 and a normal hit is doing about 18 damage... a heavy hit around 35? it just doesn't seem any different than when I was level 4. I guess I'm spamming my special attacks now and quickly. That's how I survive. Spam the same attack 5 or 6 times! And it does around 30 odd damage a hit.

I know that hasn't been very descriptive (im on a train) but I guess if anyone else is a similar level, I'd be interested in hearing about their damage output :)

I find survivability depends on taking care of mobs that are more troublesome for your particular character. I tend to take out melee mobs first as they tend to stun and knock you back unless you can block their attacks. Which can be tough with multiple melee mobs attacking you. Ranged and Magic based mobs have better tells rather than just a flash when they are going to do something dangerous. You either see a red danger area or the spell coming at you from far. I was playing a bit of my nightblade archer type character last night, and I can take out just about any non boss mob before it gets to me opening from stealth with a heavy bow attack, 1 poison arrow and 1 siphon ability.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You know, I really dig just exploring around in this game. Pretty fun. Always on the look out for clothing and blacksmithing nodes too. =D

Ghost23

If I want to tank as well as use some type of magic. Which race, class, and type of magic would you use? Petty vague question but I want to combine tanking and magic somehow s I can be great at both and take advantage of race passives etc.

Alur

This game gets repetitive mighty fast. It's hard to put a finger on why that is.

I haven't found it too repetitive yet (and that's with me leveling one character solely through grinding), but...as an MMO, it's bound to fall into that trap for everyone sooner or later. I think they did a great job allowing you to immerse yourself in exploration, crafting, grinding, or just questing...a lot of things to consume your time that aren't necessarily just "get to 50". But as with any MMO, to each his own. Some games click for you, others don't.

I'm level 8 and a normal hit is doing about 18 damage... I know that hasn't been very descriptive (im on a train) but I guess if anyone else is a similar level, I'd be interested in hearing about their damage output :)

We've talked about this a few times, but it seems the level 7-9 range is pretty rough on the leveling curve. You often get quests that are much higher than your level, packs of mobs are pretty strong, and in general you find yourself lacking that one or two skill points to have the abilities you need.

My advice is to either (A) find a skyshard guide and get the skyshards from your three starting areas to gain more skills or (B) hit your faction's grind spot and get to level 10 (from 8-10 takes all of an hour, hour and 10 mins) and then things will begin to ease up. By level 15 you should be able to handle most everything, particularly if you've been grabbing skyshards along the way.

I really want to click the action bar.. I'm going to have to buy a gaming mouse it looks like.

I can't recommend it enough! Best thing going for me in this game is my Naga. It'd be pretty rough with this style of action bar (no clicking) without one due to how the keys are hotmapped for interacting with the environment.

If I want to tank as well as use some type of magic. Which race, class, and type of magic would you use? Petty vague question but I want to combine tanking and magic somehow s I can be great at both and take advantage of race passives etc.

Well, the short answer is anything. There's a lot of folks going sorcerer tank, for example. How viable it is in the long run we don't know yet, but early results seem good due to a few synergies they have in their abilities.

The easiest suggestions are templar or dragonknight, though. Dragonknight focuses on flame attacks/magic, you deliver hits from right in the face. You've got armor that also provides damage, as well as a Scorpion like pull to grab mobs quickly. You can also grab a charge from the 1h/shield tree or the 2h tree. Dark elves work well with dragonknights due to having a lot of racials affecting fire damage, which is most of the DK's damage.

Templar I am more unfamiliar with, but you have a bit more range abilities (you've got a javelin throw, for example) along with a charge as well as having access to the only "pure" healing tree for synergy and to be able to self heal when soloing.

All I know of nightblade tanks is their abilities synergize by providing you health, ie: you cast on a mob to damage it and gain health at a steady clip based on the ability. Nightblade does seem to be the weakest class all around right now, though.

The game provides great depth in the way you style your characterl. Don't feel pigeonholed into anything...and as always, remember, what's OP today will be nerfed to hell tomorrow.

Damn, I haven't played the game in almost a week :eek:
And yet I have been playing for hours every day and haven't touched FFXIV since 2.2 hit.

My sorc tank is finally coming together. I think I'm going to move to a siphon health/crit surge build, but it would mean I'd need to go to medium armor, maybe a mix of heavy and medium will do. Just need some crit.

Dawg

Giving away 30 days of play time:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793043.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Elder Scrolls Online 30 Days -- MB-DE50D6F3540E89DA - Taken by SilverBulletKY. 8 entrants total.

t1397690182z1.png

Alur

I got/saw something pretty neat.

Werewolves spawned in The Rift earlier today. There were multiple packs in a few different places and they appeared to continue spawning all the way up til dawn. The moon was not full - it was only 1/4, so I'm not sure if the moon thing is bullshit or not. Zone chat was going absolutely crazy, as you'd expect. There were a few griefers who killed a couple of the spawns, but there were a bunch of people who were calling spawn locations and taking group invites so people could teleport to them. More good folks than bad and it seemed like a bunch of people got bitten.

In the zone they were saying the werewolves spawned last Friday and then today. I'm not sure if they've been up in between, but it is the first time I've seen them or heard of them being up since Monday.

I got bit, went and did the quest. It's pretty easy if you are of the appropriate level. The form is definitely nothing to write home about at the moment, though. You start off with no abilities and it goes in your ultimate slot, and you need to level it up to even get the most basic of utilities. I'm level three now. It's not exactly the fastest process and the form doesn't last long at all.

I'm glad I got it, however. It's morphin' time!

docbon

I got/saw something pretty neat.

Werewolves spawned in The Rift earlier today. There were multiple packs in a few different places and they appeared to continue spawning all the way up til dawn. The moon was not full - it was only 1/4, so I'm not sure if the moon thing is bullshit or not. Zone chat was going absolutely crazy, as you'd expect. There were a few griefers who killed a couple of the spawns, but there were a bunch of people who were calling spawn locations and taking group invites so people could teleport to them. More good folks than bad and it seemed like a bunch of people got bitten.

In the zone they were saying the werewolves spawned last Friday and then today. I'm not sure if they've been up in between, but it is the first time I've seen them or heard of them being up since Monday.

I got bit, went and did the quest. It's pretty easy if you are of the appropriate level. The form is definitely nothing to write home about at the moment, though. You start off with no abilities and it goes in your ultimate slot, and you need to level it up to even get the most basic of utilities. I'm level three now. It's not exactly the fastest process and the form doesn't last long at all.

I'm glad I got it, however. It's morphin' time!

I'm thinking of dropping werewolf, myself. The form needs a fuckton of ultimate, and doesn't last long enough to justify slotting it. Not to mention it feels buggy in general.

Alur

I'm thinking of dropping werewolf, myself. The form needs a fuckton of ultimate, and doesn't last long enough to justify slotting it. Not to mention it feels buggy in general.

Yeah, it does leave a lot to be desired. It's not like vampire is great either. It's kind of just something to have at the moment. I would imagine with the amount of complaints people have given for the bugs in werewolf, it'll probably see some changes. It's kind of silly you can't be in werewolf form for longer periods of time, or in werewolf form period at night or what have you.

How does vampirism work? You are vampire the entire time and able to use the abilities constantly, right?

So for those who are enjoying this game is it a good first real MMORPG for someone to get it on for PS4? I know it releases in June and I am still debating if I should get it, I tried playing the FF beta and I hated it to be honest. I always thought I was a fan of MMORPGs because of games like Runescape (baby's first MMORPG).

How is the end game and is everything balanced? How is the level of production and quality of the game? If I am not the type to spend more than 4 hours max a day playing will I still be able to enjoy the game (I have an internship this summer so I will be working full time and afterwards I have to focus on my last year in university)?

docbon

Yeah, it does leave a lot to be desired. It's not like vampire is great either. It's kind of just something to have at the moment. I would imagine with the amount of complaints people have given for the bugs in werewolf, it'll probably see some changes. It's kind of silly you can't be in werewolf form for longer periods of time, or in werewolf form period at night or what have you.

How does vampirism work? You are vampire the entire time and able to use the abilities constantly, right?

Yes. You change stages the longer you go without feeding, in which your health regeneration is reduced, but so are your vampire ability costs. From what I hear, it's a lot more fun to play than WW.

Alur

Man, this game can be so pretty. Still enjoying the heck out of it.

That was an amazing screen.

So for those who are enjoying this game is it a good first real MMORPG for someone to get it on for PS4? I know it releases in June and I am still debating if I should get it, I tried playing the FF beta and I hated it to be honest. I always thought I was a fan of MMORPGs because of games like Runescape (baby's first MMORPG).

How is the end game and is everything balanced? How is the level of production and quality of the game? If I am not the type to spend more than 4 hours max a day playing will I still be able to enjoy the game (I have an internship this summer so I will be working full time and afterwards I have to focus on my last year in university)?

No clue on the PS4. I've heard nothing about how it will translate, maybe someone else can chime in. With the small number of hotkeys I'd imagine the combat will translate well.

End game as they intend it really comes in the next patch...what we have now is 10 veteran levels and kind of a new game plus style endgame where you can adventure in other faction's zones as well as master dungeons "Adventure Zones" are the raids that are coming, or larger scale PVE or whatever you want to call it.

Yes. You change stages the longer you go without feeding, in which your health regeneration is reduced, but so are your vampire ability costs. From what I hear, it's a lot more fun to play than WW.

That does sound neat but the fact you have to feed every 30 minutes to avoid major drawbacks would be a little aggravating I guess.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've lost an entire day to this game today. Loved every moment. Just exploring, crafting and putting my Redguard 2 hand swordmaster together. Good stuff.

Question though. The explorer pack items. Do you only get them once? I got them on my first character but not on any others I've made. Current, favorite character isn't that particular one either. =/

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've lost an entire day to this game today. Loved every moment. Just exploring, crafting and putting my Redguard 2 hand swordmaster together. Good stuff.

Question though. The explorer pack items. Do you only get them once? I got them on my first character but not on any others I've made. Current, favorite character isn't that particular one either. =/

Yep, only once - but if you take the attachments with one of the other chars, the bonuses will be bound to them instead.

Did you just open the email with your first main, or take all the attachments? (unfortunately if you did the latter... the first char is stuck with them).

Rootbeer

Banned
Yay, 3 days off! Not the 5 some are getting but I'll take it!

Looking forward to delving deep into this game the next few days. Would love to join the GAF guild.

Matriox

Seeing some positive vibes from this game, really looking forward to giving it a shot on PS4 once it comes out. If the remote play on vita is anything like FFXIV then I will be very excited to remote play ESO :D

Somnia

That does sound neat but the fact you have to feed every 30 minutes to avoid major drawbacks would be a little aggravating I guess.

Or just never feed and stay in stage 4 like most of us. 50% health recovery reduction with passives, 50% more dmg to fire mitigated with rings, but vamp abilities cost 60% less.

With mist form morphed for speed I can get away from fights and almost never die in pvp. Last night for example I popped into a group of almost 20 EP, killed one before I got there due to snipe/bow. While inside the full group bat swarmed which dmgs them and heals me and killed 2 more. At this point I'm hurt and my damage mitigation passive in vamp line keeps me alive, then I mist form and take 75% less dmg and book it, dark cloak when over a rock to lose tab targets, mist form again and get somewhere in stealth. Took out 3 people in a group of 20 all fighting me and lived.

Giggzy

Haven't been able to play the last few days which has been a shame. And now with the NHL playoffs starting I still won't be able to play that much. Bad timing :(

Where there's a will, there's a way....

Dunlop

Lvl 17 and still 0 on all my crafting skills lol, I need to lookup some guides as I have no clue how to even do it

Any recoomendations on what I should start with for a

Bow/Restoration staff Templar (Light/Heavy armor)?

demonkaze

We're still sitting at 45 members on the eu guild, are there any people that wanted invites that didn't get one yet? We're sitting pretty close to that guild store now.

Alur

Has anyone attempted to cure themselves of the werewolf disease or vampire disease? I'm asking because I encountered the craziest set of bugs I've ever seen in an MMO, and I wonder if it's just something that happens or if this is truly my character being bugged out.

robertoci

We're still sitting at 45 members on the eu guild, are there any people that wanted invites that didn't get one yet? We're sitting pretty close to that guild store now.

Sure send me an invite I dunno if you add by character name or not but it's Robthen Deatro for my character look forward to playing with you guys :)

Alur

As I was worried about earlier, after forty levels I've finally encountered some of the bugs/bugginess everyone has been talking about with ESO.

After leveling up werewolf a bit, reading up on it, talking to folks in game and you guys here, I decided to drop werewolf since I'm still questing in The Rift and if vampires pop, I would like to be able to get bitten. Bad call.

I went to the priest to cure myself and sure enough, Lycanthropy is gone. No werewolf transformation in my ultimate bar, etc. HOORAY...except I still have the disease "Sanies Lupinus" (which allows you to turn into a werewolf by doing the quest line). I log out and back in. Still there. /reloadui, still there. Priest won't talk to me anymore. Well shit. Now I have no werewolf skills and still have the disease.

I decide to head to the werewolf ritual site to see if I can still accept the quest since I technically still have the disease...in a twist of irony, I can. Unfortunately, once I get inside and begin the hunt I have no ability to attack anything. The 'Pounce' ability is not available. I cannot auto attack by left clicking. Basically all I can do is 'Roar' and run around. I log out and back in. Still bugged. /reloadui. Still bugged. Reset the quest 3 or 4 times, still bugged. I can't attack therefore I can't complete the quest to become a werewolf fully (again).

Contact support, they tell me to log out and in. Still bugged. They tell me to /reloadui. Still bugged. They tell me to double tap ESC several times to cause auto attack to work again...nope, still bugged. Now I'm waiting for a response from them as to how to proceed after trying those things. You'd think it'd be easy for them to just remove the disease from me, but hey.

TLDR: Tried to stop being a werewolf, ESO said "Good, that's good...no wai-" and bugged me into a state where I am unable to be cured of werewolf disease as well as being unable to become a full werewolf. Good times. Vampires will probably spawn anytime just because reasons.

Teletraan1

Banned
One thing I am really getting tired of is the 10 bots standing around every dungeon "boss". Every single dungeon has this happening where 10 identical characters with wwiv type names are all swinging in unison when the boss spawns.

Hawk269

My wife decided to jump in, but when I tried to add her to the guild it says I don't have permission. A week ago, I was adding a few people from Gaf to the guild, so not sure if something changed.

If @Grtdisneyfan can be added, we both would appreciate it.

Effnine

One thing I am really getting tired of is the 10 bots standing around every dungeon "boss". Every single dungeon has this happening where 10 identical characters with wwiv type names are all swinging in unison when the boss spawns.

Happens in every MMO ... blame the players, not the game ... if idiots didn't buy these services, then you wouldn't see these issues ... but no, players support it and deserve what they get ...

KePoW

Banned
My wife decided to jump in, but when I tried to add her to the guild it says I don't have permission. A week ago, I was adding a few people from Gaf to the guild, so not sure if something changed.

If @Grtdisneyfan can be added, we both would appreciate it.

Invited

Top Bottom