• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait, when I got home from work at 8am it said the european server was down... I now wake up at 6pm and its down again? or still?

come on guys...

hopefully this fucking last quest I have in this zone is fixed at least :(

Einbroch

Banned
Yep, was really loving this game, then I got to the second zone, excited to see what was new.

And it's all the same. Like literally the same. Towns, dungeons, slightly different fauna, repeated enemy models...And the stories are getting predictable. My love is waning. Still, even if I quit now, I got more than my money's worth out of it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
going from ghratwood (a forrest) to greenshade (another forrest) to mal...mal something, I forget the name...but its another forrest

it was a bit jarring. Im going to be brutally honest, I like the game, in fact quite a bit, but for me it was always going to be something to do until Dark Souls 2 was out, and in that sense, I got my moneys worth (or will have by next week). Im sure ill get my templar to 50 (hes 37 atm), Ive been having fun, and I was never going to resub (I rarely do with new mmos).

For people that intend to be in for the long haul, all the little problems will start to pile up in my opinion

Alur

So the environments are all similar? That's disappointing to hear.

No, they are not all similar. However, like any MMO (and a lot of games) there are models used fairly religiously, such as buildings in some towns and certain quest dungeon layouts being similar. The vast majority of the world you are in varies completely.

The first zones for Ebonheart Pact, for example: you begin in an ethereal wasteland, then a snow covered plain, then a volcanic/mountainous area. After that, you move to a more jungle like atmosphere as you go to Deshaan and then further to Shadowfen. There's a lot of variance as far as I've been.

I have a question for folks who might be higher than me in game. I have three characters. Two of which I'm questing with along with others, but one that I've AOE grinded with. He's far outstripped the other two due to the folks I quested with being unavailable. I'm level 30 on him now.

I want to go to the Rift and check out the vampire spawns...but I see no possible way to get there or even to Eastmarch, which is the next zone for me after Shadowfen. Could anyone tell me how you get to Eastmarch and/or The Rift? I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious as level 15-20's have been and here I am level 30 and can't figure it out.

Einbroch

Banned
No, they are not all similar. However, like any MMO (and a lot of games) there are models used fairly religiously, such as buildings in some towns and certain quest dungeon layouts being similar. The vast majority of the world you are in varies completely.

The first zones for Ebonheart Pact, for example: you begin in an ethereal wasteland, then a snow covered plain, then a volcanic/mountainous area. After that, you move to a more jungle like atmosphere as you go to Deshaan and then further to Shadowfen. There's a lot of variance as far as I've been.

I have a question for folks who might be higher than me in game. I have three characters. Two of which I'm questing with along with others, but one that I've AOE grinded with. He's far outstripped the other two due to the folks I quested with being unavailable. I'm level 30 on him now.

I want to go to the Rift and check out the vampire spawns...but I see no possible way to get there or even to Eastmarch, which is the next zone for me after Shadowfen. Could anyone tell me how you get to Eastmarch and/or The Rift? I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious as level 15-20's have been and here I am level 30 and can't figure it out.
Then I picked the wrong faction. Daggerfall Covenment goes from lightly-treed-area to kind-of-swampy to lightly-treed-area. All the public dungeons are identical. The towers are all the same. The ruins are all the same. The tombs are all the same. There was a hint of some cool ruins with traps and trials, but that was one quest that was over in 5 minutes and it wasn't fleshed out.

docbon

Then I picked the wrong faction. Daggerfall Covenment goes from lightly-treed-area to kind-of-swampy to lightly-treed-area. All the public dungeons are identical. The towers are all the same. The ruins are all the same. The tombs are all the same. There was a hint of some cool ruins with traps and trials, but that was one quest that was over in 5 minutes and it wasn't fleshed out.

Yep, Daggerfall Covenant is pretty much deserts / forests and then suddenly Coldharbour.

I never got tired of the quests themselves, but I sure am glad to be doing the AD campaign now that I reached the veteran ranks.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm curious. Can you make a mainly crafting oriented character in this game? I know you can spend skillpoints on crafting but is there enough points to go around to flesh out a good specialized craft and have enough combat skills available to you?

Alur

Yep, Daggerfall Covenant is pretty much deserts / forests and then suddenly Coldharbour.

I never got tired of the quests themselves, but I sure am glad to be doing the AD campaign now that I reached the veteran ranks.

That could be part of why I feel like the larger factions are AD and EP by a good degree. Along with cats and lizards and elves, of course for those of us who didn't pre-order. Deserts suck.

The worst thing I've seen with EP so far is that Stonefalls just takes forever and it's huge, so in that 6-16 range you can feel like things never change. Once you get to Deshaan though it's a different atmosphere. Shadowfen (where I am now) is a swamp, basically.

My personal preference for starting areas is AD, though. It's the only one that isn't dreary, IMO.

docbon

I'm curious. Can you make a mainly crafting oriented character in this game? I know you can spend skillpoints on crafting but is there enough points to go around to flesh out a good specialized craft and have enough combat skills available to you?

Yeah, you can go pretty heavy into crafting skill lines and still perform well in combat.

There's 156~ skill points from skyshards and leveling up, as well as an undetermined amount from completing major questlines in each area.

If you ever find yourself wanting to respec, it will probably be due to ability morphs.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yeah, you can go pretty heavy into crafting skill lines and still perform well in combat.

There's 156~ skill points from skyshards and leveling up, as well as an undetermined amount from completing major questlines in each area.

If you ever find yourself wanting to respec, it will probably be due to ability morphs.

Thanks!

Einbroch

Banned
Im a bit worried that I just picked this game up last night and the OT is barely active. Cant play right now either.

GAF isn't a hub of MMO players, in general. There are a lot of people that play it and the fact that there is only one server means you'll never feel alone.

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
Anyone using a gaming mice with this? I'm using a 360 controller right now but I think if I could program the action slots to some buttons on the mouse, I would prefer that.

Man, this kinda sucks. Coming off a very long weekend away at PAX, I took today off to rest, and figured I could catch back up on missed gametime. It seems that's not in the cards yet. Bummer.

timkunedo

This is by far the most immersive and beautiful MMO I've ever played. I'm blown away since I didn't really have much fun in the beta. It's like night and day compared to the open beta. I'm hooked!! I'll be subbing for a long time.

squadr0n

Im a bit worried that I just picked this game up last night and the OT is barely active. Cant play right now either.

The NeoGaf NA Guild is actually very active. We have new members joining everyday! Last time I checked we had almost hit 100 but that was late last week. Been on everyday but just haven't checked the roster lately lol. But everyone is super helpful and always chatting, someone is usually always down to help too if you ever need anything. Send someone your info for an invite!

This is by far the most immersive and beautiful MMO I've ever played. I'm blown away since I didn't really have much fun in the beta. It's like night and day compared to the open beta. I'm hooked!! I'll be subbing for a long time.

Really? I don't understand what everyone is talking about when comparing the retail release to the Beta. The only difference Ive noticed so far aside from the bugs in the beta is how other players haven't been interrupting my immersion and questing as much as they were in the Beta. I mean in the Beta going to do a quest and someone coming from the other direction just swoops in interrupts me so I have to wait for it to restart again for me to do was so frustrating but its not at all in the retail release. Aside from that I haven't noticed anything different really. Its not like they went in and changed the environment and shit lol. The game is beautiful though. Exactly what I wanted out of an Elder Scrolls MMO. I love getting to a new area when a lot of people have either just left or haven't been yet and just see all the rune stones everywhere lol. Makes my nerd side geek out. Wish the armor and gear was more varied and I wish they had some crazy rare horses to find like the 4 horses from the Apocalypse in Red Dead. Anyone know if there are Dragons in TESO? Im sure they will do a dragon expansion if not.

Alur

This is pretty much any MMO on GAF. SWTOR had a good one going for a bit before the negativity set in just prior to OT2. GW2 had a pretty good one, but it had no sub so you'd expect that.

Most folks who play MMOs here don't post on the forums, they seem to be lurkers. Not to mention ESO is a lot more...interactive? than others because you get more involved exploring and experiencing the game instead of gunning for experience.

Anyone using a gaming mice with this? I'm using a 360 controller right now but I think if I could program the action slots to some buttons on the mouse, I would prefer that.

I use a Razer Naga and this game is absolutely perfect for it. I know we've had folks in here wanting controller usage, and I get that from a certain perspective, but with the small number of hotkeys needed for combat an MMO mouse is just peachy.

EDIT: NA servers back up!

Double EDIT: Or maybe not. Repeated errors trying to login.

Firehead

Right-o, got the game. Imperial Edition + Explorer's Pack. Went with a khajit nightblade.

Would appreciate a guild invite, please. @Firehead is my handle. :)

I am waiting for this post to go F2P.

95.gif

Just picked it up over the weekend. I am enjoying it so far. The flexibility of the classes is refreshing. I would appreciate an invite to the NA GAF guild. My account name is LegacyBroken and my Ebonhart toon's name is Dargo Sun-Crichton.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well this is pretty awesome...

After today's patch, the launcher gives me an error that it can't determine the game version and to run the game consultant... which I do, but it doesn't do anything but dump a bunch of error report info. it will NOT let me run repair.

I swear if I have to redownload this game i'm gonna be pissed.

*edit* okay i found that if you delete the "bethesda_launcher.version" file in your Launcher directory and run it again it fixes it.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So the environments are all similar? That's disappointing to hear.
Waaa, where did you hear that? Everyone has different starting points and zones that they move through up until level 50. Once you hit cap you get the option to go and explore the other faction zones.

Edit: Just re-read what you were saying and realised its the environments your were talking about. I guess its just a theme for that faction? Considering I'm on Ebonheart its been mountainous terrain down to swamp terrain which is a really cool change.
We are too busy playing the game :)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Ok guys,

I will join the NA guild, because with my timezone is more difficult the EU one.

I will buy the game later this week.

KePoW

Banned

After today's patch, the launcher gives me an error that it can't determine the game version and to run the game consultant... which I do, but it doesn't do anything but dump a bunch of error report info. it will NOT let me run repair.

*edit* okay i found that if you delete the "bethesda_launcher.version" file in your Launcher directory and run it again it fixes it.

Thanks for posting the fix, I had this problem too.

Hawk269

This game gets repetitive mighty fast. It's hard to put a finger on why that is.

In what way? I have been taking it slow, only Level 11 now and I started on day 1 of the 5 day early start. Granted my playtime has not been as much as I wanted, but I have not felt it has become repetitive as of yet. I have not played a ton of other MMO's, some briefly, SWTOR, Rift, WOW etc. and I find ES a lot more fun.

Is it the quests, environments that is making it seem repetitive to you?

Hawk269

Like someone else posted, thanks for posting this. I too had this issue and remembered reading you post earlier and came back to it to ensure I had the right file to delete.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I will need an invite for the NA guild. @GromphGAF

HowZatOZ

Banned
This game gets repetitive mighty fast. It's hard to put a finger on why that is.
Care to elaborate? I'm level 26 and still having heaps of fun, the quests are getting more and more complicated with decisions and style of play. I've had to verse bosses that felt like they could belong in a raid instance with how difficult they are, which is something I'm so happy to see.

I guess it also helps in that I change my skills around a lot and play with random playstyles just to see what happens, but that's like how I played Skyrim as well. Also I kind of get distracted by crafting which is totally awesome for my coin purse.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Thanks everyone for your posts on bow and arrow stealth play. It sounds like I kinda just need to use the bow intermittently to level it up a bit before I can get some decent skills on it.

I wouldn't mind a guild invite too :)

Dancing Syth

My next matter in the game is how bad I am. I cannot take on more than 1 enemy or I die 90percent of the time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Possibly a lack of blocking other attackers while I'm focusing on one. Or perhaps I just need to invest in some better gear.

I'm level 8 and a normal hit is doing about 18 damage... a heavy hit around 35? it just doesn't seem any different than when I was level 4. I guess I'm spamming my special attacks now and quickly. That's how I survive. Spam the same attack 5 or 6 times! And it does around 30 odd damage a hit.

I know that hasn't been very descriptive (im on a train) but I guess if anyone else is a similar level, I'd be interested in hearing about their damage output :)

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for posting the fix, I had this problem too.

Like someone else posted, thanks for posting this. I too had this issue and remembered reading you post earlier and came back to it to ensure I had the right file to delete.

Well, it fixed it for that launch, but later i reopened the launcher and the error was back.

some posters on the official forums think it is a server-side thing... if you open the launcher and see the error, just close it and try re-opening it a few times, the error may show a few times but after a handfull of attempts it will stop showing.

Thanks everyone for your posts on bow and arrow stealth play. It sounds like I kinda just need to use the bow intermittently to level it up a bit before I can get some decent skills on it.

I wouldn't mind a guild invite too :)

Dancing Syth

My next matter in the game is how bad I am. I cannot take on more than 1 enemy or I die 90percent of the time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Possibly a lack of blocking other attackers while I'm focusing on one. Or perhaps I just need to invest in some better gear.

I'm level 8 and a normal hit is doing about 18 damage... a heavy hit around 35? it just doesn't seem any different than when I was level 4. I guess I'm spamming my special attacks now and quickly. That's how I survive. Spam the same attack 5 or 6 times! And it does around 30 odd damage a hit.

I know that hasn't been very descriptive (im on a train) but I guess if anyone else is a similar level, I'd be interested in hearing about their damage output :)

I just started the game and I am only level 5, I am playing a Templar with Bow/Sunlight Magic. So far I have issues with multiple mobs but I think it's just not having the skill points available yet to invest in a build that has good single target and multi target spells. I can take on two enemies fine just now but any more and I am dead pretty quickly.

I have been making sure I always start my attacks from stealth, I will be investing skill points in abilities that slow/stun/knockback so I can keep my distance and not have to rely on melee abilities at any point.

I have spent a fair bit of time just wandering about though, there's a lot to take in and having actual freedom in what way you play seems great compared to most other MMO's I have played.

Top Bottom