• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

KePoW

Banned
One thing I am really getting tired of is the 10 bots standing around every dungeon "boss". Every single dungeon has this happening where 10 identical characters with wwiv type names are all swinging in unison when the boss spawns.

I'm not even sure what that accomplishes. It's not like you get much XP for killing a random mob

Teletraan1

Banned
Happens in every MMO ... blame the players, not the game ... if idiots didn't buy these services, then you wouldn't see these issues ... but no, players support it and deserve what they get ...

I deserve no bullshit that impedes my progress through the game. That is blaming the victim. I have played MMOs since Ultima Online and have never once used these services so no I don't think I deserve to have to wait 5 minutes per dungeon because I was not one of the 40 people that registered a hit on a mob.

I deserve no bullshit that impedes my progress through the game. That is blaming the victim. I have played MMOs since Ultima Online and have never once used these services so no I don't think I deserve to have to wait 5 minutes per dungeon because I was not one of the 40 people that registered a hit on a mob.

For what it's worth, they are working to place a timer that will determine how often you can get loot from a public dungeon boss. Soon it won't be nearly as profitable to stand around and spam actions trying to hit the boss to get loot rights.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Gosh I love this game. Since launch I have logged in every single day, not because I felt I had to, but because I want to experience the amazing content that this game offers. I've been a huge MMO fan, and the last time I got this addicted was way back in vanilla WoW. That speaks huge volumes to me.

squadr0n

Need help, im ready to move on to Deshann from StoneFalls. Im a DragonKnight and i just hit level 15 but im completely out of quests to do everywhere and cannot figure out how to get to the next area. Anyone know how to travel to Deshann from the Ebonheart?

Okay, i found the route so if anyone else has the problem when they hit lvl 15. You go to Ashen Road wayshrine and follow that road that looks like it dead ends south to Deshann.

Gosh I love this game. Since launch I have logged in every single day, not because I felt I had to, but because I want to experience the amazing content that this game offers. I've been a huge MMO fan, and the last time I got this addicted was way back in vanilla WoW. That speaks huge volumes to me.

Same here. I've been so bogged with finals, though, that I can't fully enjoy it. It really is a great MMO. I might give Wildstar a swing this week, though.

EDIT:

Need help, im ready to move on to Deshann from StoneFalls. Im a DragonKnight and i just hit level 15 but im completely out of quests to do everywhere and cannot figure out how to get to the next area. Anyone know how to travel to Deshann from the Ebonheart?

Did you finish all the public dungeons in SF? Also, did you try clearing the elite spots (skulls on map)?

Desh is going to be the road that leads South out of SF. You should have a quest that tells you to go there. If you don't you're missing something.

chiba

Hope zenimax gets on some of this stuff. Between gold seller spam(even when I'm invis I get guild invites from them that can't be ignored).
And now these huge clumps of bots camping every single solo dung boss I've done the last 2 days, it's really killing my enjoyment of a great game.

HowZatOZ

Banned
heh, this seems to happen in all MMO's, must be a thing when factoring in latency and issuing responses to player commands. I know they have the ability to determine duplicated items because they've rolled back before and I have my accidentally duped items disappear, so presume this will be the same.

Hope zenimax gets on some of this stuff. Between gold seller spam(even when I'm invis I get guild invites from them that can't be ignored).
And now these huge clumps of bots camping every single solo dung boss I've done the last 2 days, it's really killing my enjoyment of a great game.
They've talked about an upcoming patch introducing timers to world bosses and public dungeon bosses that will stop you from gaining loot each time you kill them consecutively, so hopefully that deters the bots somewhat. In regards to gold sellers, I have a feeling they'll start cracking down on obvious gold farmer accounts and also implement some kind of internal spam filter.

Somnia

We will be performing a regularly scheduled maintenance on the European and North American megaservers tomorrow, Friday April 18th.
The European megaserver will be brought down at 5:00 AM BST / 6:00 AM CEST. At this time, we expect the European megaserver to be back online by late morning.
The North American megaserver will be brought down at 8:00 AM EDT / 1:00 PM BST. At this time, we expect the North American megaserver to be back online by midday.

During this maintenance, we will be pushing a new patch. We will be posting the full patch notes around 12:00 AM EDT / 5:00 AM BST, and will let you know when each of the megaservers are back online.

Thanks for your patience!

Maintenance tomorrow

Somnia

Patch v1.0.4

OVERVIEW

The Elder Scrolls Online v1.0.4 features fixes to existing content. This is the second patch this week, and addresses the high priority fix of missing bank slots, stored bank items, and missing skill points. We’re continuing to work hard on other issues, and will let you know when they are fixed.

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS

Miscellaneous
General
Fixed an issue where your characters could lose bank expansions you purchased, including the items in these slots.
Note: This will not return any items or slots lost prior to this fix. If your character was affected, please contact Customer Support.

Addressed an issue with guild invites that could cause latency with social systems such as guild chat, player-to-player chat, and long loading times.

UI
General
Changed the functionality of auto-stacking in guild banks. You will now have to stack items in your inventory before placing them in the guild bank.

RoKKeR

Console newwwwwwwws, I'm so excited to try this out. Give us something to work with Zenimax. Beta date, previews, anything!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Messed around with ESO's crafting systems tonight and holy crap are they good. Really deep, lots of options, deeply tied into the economy, crafting items useful right from level 1, etc etc.

Wish I would have poked around them earlier, though - I've just been vendoring all my magic weapons and armor! Could have been unlocking those stats for crafting all this time.

Rootbeer

Banned
anyone else encountered this weird glitch in the game where you can't attack with your mouse or number keys? it's weird i can still bring up the menu with ESC and move my chracter but not attack :( happened to me a few times, only once today though. just died from it sigh :( seriously... wtf

anyone else encountered this weird glitch in the game where you can't attack with your mouse or number keys? it's weird i can still bring up the menu with ESC and move my chracter but not attack :( happened to me a few times, only once today though. just died from it sigh :( seriously... wtf

Yeah, happened to me several times. The fix I've gotten from ZOS is logout, and wait 10 minutes, then log back in. Something about heavy server load.

KePoW

Banned

Yes, annoying. Gotta re-log

I've really had to force myself to play this game but I've finally found my footing and I'm starting to enjoy it. This game does exploration and character progression very well and those two elements have kept me playing. If the writing wasn't so mediocre and the game had a bit more polish, it would really be something. There are a thousand little things that irk me (like having to wait for animations to finish before loot windows appear) but the game has a certain old school aura to it that appeals to me. I'm very curious what end game is like.

Btw, how do you make money in this game? Spam your wares in /trade? I've heard about trade guilds, is it possible to join more than one guild?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

yup, it sucks. what also sucks is quest breaking bugs, which ive encountered 2 back to back (end of 1 zone, and the very first quest of the next zone) which...kinda broke the game for me :/ It was always a stop-gap until DS2 for me, but yeah, think im done a bit before that :) no harm done, you guys have fun, its a good game

KePoW

Banned
I've really had to force myself to play this game but I've finally found my footing and I'm starting to enjoy it. This game does exploration and character progression very well and those two elements have kept me playing. If the writing wasn't so mediocre and the game had a bit more polish, it would really be something. There are a thousand little things that irk me (like having to wait for animations to finish before loot windows appear) but the game has a certain old school aura to it that appeals to me. I'm very curious what end game is like.

Btw, how do you make money in this game? Spam your wares in /trade? I've heard about trade guilds, is it possible to join more than one guild?

You can join 5 different guilds

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
If the writing wasn't so mediocre

I find the writing and voice work to be on par, if not better than any previous Elder Scrolls game.

The humour is an obvious upgrade IMO, I love humour in my RPGs (see Divinity series for the best in class) and this is something I've found very welcome in ESO.

I think Morrowind might have had slightly better writing, but this stomps on Oblivion and Skyrim's voice work, no question (again, in my opinion).

Yikes at the gold dupe. Apparently gold is like retardedly cheap now at 150k for 15$...that's nuts. Dunno how they're going to fix this one.
The exact same thing happened in FFXIV ARR at launch. People found a way to dupe. People also found ways to quickly cap crafts and exploit the market, basically leaving an entire server's economy in the hands of a few people.

There was also a method of stealing items and gil from other player's "banks".

Square actually went the harsher root and banned most people involved and removed most, if not all, of their gil. A lot of people complained but most have forgotten about it all today. The game is fine now.

It's a big deal, but not a huge deal if handled well.

KePoW

Banned
I find the writing and voice work to be on par, if not better than any previous Elder Scrolls game.

I think both are about the same as previous ES games too.

However, that does not mean they are top-notch quality compared to other AAA games. For example, I find the overall voice acting to be noticeably better in SWTOR

I've been playing this for a few days now pretty casually alongside raiding and such in FFXIV, and I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun. Complete 180 from my beta impressions. I love how deep character customization can be, with many different viable builds for the same class.

Currently, I'm playing an Altmer Templar with skills spent with tanking in mind. 1h/shield, heavy armor, focusing on Aedric Spear tree. I want to make a few alts and get a feel for the other classes, but I'm level 10 right now and feeling good about Templar overall.

Anyway, my current character is Dominion, but if any GAFfers want to hang out or whatever, hit me up @Teveriel. :)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I think both are about the same as previous ES games too.

However, that does not mean they are top-notch quality compared to other AAA games. For example, I find the overall voice acting to be noticeably better in SWTOR

I found SWTORs voice work good, but stiff by comparison.

I bloody loved SWTOR though, I played the crap out of it for about 8 months until I ran out of steam on my 2nd char once I hit cap.

The PvP was awesome, if a bit limited in scope.

I'm done with this game.

Bugs galore and it needs balancing badly. I'd go through an area and complete all the quests including the final one that leads you to the next area and I would be at least 5 levels below where I should be.

A lot of the instanced story bosses are ridiculously difficult to beat on your own, especially when the dogshit AI just stand there instead of attacking. I lost count of how many times I died trying to fight a boss only to die through a glitch or because of the AI and the boss resets back to the beginning of it's multi-stage fight, to the point where your armour offers no protection because it is basically destroyed and have no heals left.

The
Mannimarco
fight nearly broke me, I defeated them and instantly uninstalled the game.

I found SWTORs voice work good, but stiff by comparison.

I bloody loved SWTOR though, I played the crap out of it for about 8 months until I ran out of steam on my 2nd char once I hit cap.

The PvP was awesome, if a bit limited in scope.
Couldn't agree more. Really liked SWTOR's voice acting, but it wasn't directed well and in many scenes just felt off. It also suffers from rehashed voice acting like this game. What's worse were the rehashed lines that came from your character. Kinda glad you're a mute in this game.

Nice to see someone else liked SWTOR's PVP. It's probably my favorite of any MMO. Pretty well balanced, varied map objectives, and just a lot of fun.

I'm done with this game.

Bugs galore and it needs balancing badly. I'd go through an area and complete all the quests including the final one that leads you to the next area and I would be at least 5 levels below where I should be.

A lot of the instanced story bosses are ridiculously difficult to beat on your own, especially when the dogshit AI just stand there instead of attacking. I lost count of how many times I died trying to fight a boss only to die through a glitch or because of the AI and the boss resets back to the beginning of it's multi-stage fight, to the point where your armour offers no protection because it is basically destroyed and have no heals left.

The
Mannimarco
fight nearly broke me, I defeated them and instantly uninstalled the game.
Huh? 5 levels below? I've never been more than a level or two behind, hell I came into the 4th area almost an entire level above the starting quests. I still had stuff to do in the previous zone as well.

I feel ya on the buggy NPCs. Definitely had close calls in fights because of it, but never anything too one sided. The public dungeon story bosses on the other hand....

demonkaze

On the contrary i've been grouped with my brother throughout my Lvling just doing everything a zone has to offer and we now find ourselves (at Lv 38) about 3-4 Lvs ahead so if you're finding yourself under Lv there must be more you can do in a zone before moving on. Have you completed the 3 grouped dungeons per zone, thats a good way to get a Lv from and 3 skillpoints.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Nice to see someone else liked SWTOR's PVP. It's probably my favorite of any MMO. Pretty well balanced, varied map objectives, and just a lot of fun.

Agreed!

It just felt right, and yes it was brilliant fun - I especially liked Huttball for some reason (took me back to my rugby days).

Lynq

Banned
Am I the only one slightly put off by the whole Veterancy system?

Don't get me wrong - leveling is quite fun. There are many interesting quests, I like that. I'm level 30 now with ~35 hours into the game. I guess I'll hit 50 with ~60 hours.

Now, after that... I'm supposed to go and quest again to get Veteran Ranks? When I heard that Trials will be avaiable for Vet10 players I was pissed. Why? Why delay the traditional endgame? Yes, quests are fun, but after 60 hours, I would LOVE to do something different. And what will I do? Well, quests and harder version of old dungeons.

That's kinda sad.

Someone on Reddit told me that "Well it's obvious! You're wrong! This game is meant to be played 3 times, you have to do all factions quests!"... Well to that I say - if I wanted to, I'd just make a freaking alt... It's delaying the endgame, that's what it is.

Ideal scenario for me: I hit 50, I go to some Vet Dungeons for better gear (let's say it takes about 10 hours to gather good items), and then I'm ready for Trials.

Oh, did I mention that getting from Vet1 to Vet10 takes the same amount of time as getting from 1 to 50...?

Dunlop

Holiday today
Had the morning off with no family obligations
Server down entire morning for maintenance

; (

edit: lol as I type this I see a patch downloading and I have to leave with my kids (nvm still down)

Einbroch

Banned

Don't get me wrong - leveling is quite fun. There are many interesting quests, I like that. I'm level 30 now with ~35 hours into the game. I guess I'll hit 50 with ~60 hours.

Now, after that... I'm supposed to go and quest again to get Veteran Ranks? When I heard that Trials will be avaiable for Vet10 players I was pissed. Why? Why delay the traditional endgame? Yes, quests are fun, but after 60 hours, I would LOVE to do something different. And what will I do? Well, quests and harder version of old dungeons.

That's kinda sad.

Someone on Reddit told me that "Well it's obvious! You're wrong! This game is meant to be played 3 times, you have to do all factions quests!"... Well to that I say - if I wanted to, I'd just make a freaking alt... It's delaying the endgame, that's what it is.

Ideal scenario for me: I hit 50, I go to some Vet Dungeons for better gear (let's say it takes about 10 hours to gather good items), and then I'm ready for Trials.

Oh, did I mention that getting from Vet1 to Vet10 takes the same amount of time as getting from 1 to 50...?
That's because that's exactly what it is. Endgame content is not ready, so they slapped on a quick fix with veteran ranks. Its' better than nothing, I suppose.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

That's kinda sad.

Sounds like endgame isn't quite ready yet. At least the game continue to let you gain experience instead of letting it al just go to waste (looking at you XIV).

Lynq

Banned
Sounds like endgame isn't quite ready yet. At least the game continue to let you gain experience instead of letting it al just go to waste (looking at you XIV).

Yeah, but when you are Vet, you're only getting XP from quests, which is weird.

Anyways, does anyone know if it's true that Craglorn won't be out till first week of May...? Can't find the info, official TESO forums are one big mess.

owlbeak

Can someone help me decide whether to buy this or not?

Background: I've played every Elder Scrolls game as they came out, as far back as Arena. Sank countless hours into Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim and I absolutely love the series. It's my favorite game series of all time.

However, I don't much care for traditional MMOs. I liked Guild Wars 1 & 2, I absolutely loved The Secret World and Asheron's Call way back in the day, and played a couple months of Star Wars: The Old Republic and had an okay time with it. My biggest hurdle is the subscriptionst, I just hate paying for it and feeling like I have to play to get my money's worth. Some games it's not an issue (The Secret World; totally sucked me in with the setting and story and unique quests). I also don't really care for boring hotbar combat. Also, I really like to be able to explore and kind of go about things my own way and not be trapped into small areas.

I guess, I'd like to get impressions on whether you might think I'd enjoy this game based on my love of the other Elder Scrolls titles mixed with my tepidness of traditional MMOs. Not sure if anyone can really answer that for me, but I've read so many mixed articles on this game. Massively's articles praise the game, Rock, Paper, Shotgun seem to think it's not very good and I don't know what to think.

WHAT DO?

docbon

That's kinda sad.

I don't know how successful you'd be in tackling the content, but a player can enter Craglorn once they hit VR1 (when it's released). Also, the veteran dungeons take place in the same locations, but the bosses, and storyline are different. I've heard you venture through previously inaccessible parts of the dungeon as well, though I have yet to see it firsthand.

re: release date, I don't know either.

King E

Banned
I missed an exam (and possibly failed a class) because I did not have enough self control to stop playing this game until 3 in the morning. I'm just waiting for the professor to reply to my voice and email messages.

That said, I'm slowly exiting the fanboy stage of enjoyment and reality is beginning to set in a bit.

I really don't want to harp on the game design, but the Elder Scrolls Online sometimes feels like a few steps forward and backwards. For example, TESV's game world was moderate in size, yet was densely populated with locations. Caves, camps, towns, along with an underground city (Blackreach). The world of ESO feels sparse in comparison, given the emphasis placed on exploration. It's possible to find every location in a zone just by marking areas that look quite obvious, such as a dead end of a road for example.

Also, a lot of the game world looks repetitive. The fact that Tamriel is can be explored is too alluring for me to pass up. Yet, a larger game does not mean a better one by any stretch. Every major city in High Rock use the same building design. It's almost as if I'm visiting the same city with a different layout. The art is beautiful, but begins to lose its luster as each building is apparently copied and pasted throughout the world.

Hammerfell is even more annoying to enjoy due to how elaborate the buildings are. To see the same design over, and over, just makes the experience a bit drab. This is also true for public dungeons as well. Caves and forts are all identical, with different enemies.

I wonder how much of the game was actually hand-crafted and not a copy and paste? This is partly the reason why I chose the Daggerfall Covenant. Apparently, the dungeons in Skyrim look as if they were lifted straight from the titled game. I come to find out that the Ayleid ruins that dot the land of the Covenant are almost exactly from TESIV with little variation.

The experience is jarring to some degree when I see unique armor for each race and characters that expand lore. I'm disappointed that the level of input isn't entirely consistent throughout. Did the game's artists run out of gas when designing the game world?

docbon

The amount of asset reuse for towns and dungeons has definitely been a bummer. It's even more depressing when you start venturing into the planes of Oblivion and see what they're capable of creating, artistically. Then you start wondering why they didn't put forth that kind of effort everywhere else as well.

I'm hoping that they cut the habit starting with the release of Craglorn, and maybe fix up some of the earlier areas down the line.

Mirk

The amount of asset reuse for towns and dungeons has definitely been a bummer. It's even more depressing when you start venturing into the planes of Oblivion and see what they're capable of creating, artistically. Then you start wondering why they didn't put forth that kind of effort everywhere else as well.

I'm hoping that they cut the habit starting with the release of Craglorn, and maybe fix up some of the earlier areas down the line.

I am lvl 34 atm and just starting to notice this. It does kinda suck but at the same time I know the layout. So less looking at the map! I am enjoying the game quite a bit. My only gripe is the amount of times I need to re-log to fix a quest of an ore spawn. Driving me nuts!
The PVP has been a lot of fun thou! the battles can get HUGE.

Top Bottom