• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

CryptiK

Veteran Ranks are broken. It rewards only quest and dungeon grinding(Eg go in dungeon and just farm tigers), very little for PVP and nothing for exploration. If you missed any quests in non VR areas they give you nothing.You play through the other factions which potentionally ruins it for an alt character. Not to mention the gear gives you a fairly big buff so if you wanna be relevant in PvP later you'll need it.

I hit level 50 3 days ago with near 100% completion of every area so I didn't rush the cap. It feels as if they were originally planned adventure zones like craglorn for VR and ran out of time.

It went from a game that was fun and had plenty of exploration to a grind fest

Kem0sabe

Game just crashed on loading screen and now cant login... seems the EU server has gone to shit with a massive thread on the forum detailing how many players are stuck in the same situation.

Zenimax needs to solve this else i see many players leaving after the first month.

docbon

WHY IS MY INVENTORY ALWAYS FULL

I guess I need to keep track of it better, pretty terrible at item management but it seems like as soon as I make room it immediately fills up again, lost track of the amount of times I've had to throw something away just to complete a quest lol.

Really enjoying the game though. Currently ranking my blacksmithing up!

When I first created my character, I settled on blacksmithing / carpentry / clothier as my crafting professions. I avoid looting from crates, barrels, or any of the other containers since they're always provisioning materials. Any glyphs I find are put into a guild bank for other crafters to break down for XP, along with lower tier crafting materials that I have no use for. Style materials that aren't for the rare styles go straight to the trash too since they have no value, and can be bought from vendors for 15g.

Space was a little tight at times, but it got a lot more manageable as I started buying more bag and bank space. Just have to remember that you can't loot literally everything if you want to maintain your sanity.

At least, not at first.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
saw this just posted on the OF

giphy.gif

I guess I'll either rewatch some It Crowd or reread Planetary for the 100th time

Alur

might be worth having a look into wildstar, due out in june too if you're not sure.

looks refreshing

I don't know that I'd call Wildstar refreshing. This game is definitely more innovative (at least in the part of the game where most of us are at). I'll certainly be there on day one, but the meat in Wildstar is in the PVP and the endgame because those are the gamers they are targeting. Outside of that, it's also another WoW-like clone with a different combat system (that's honestly structurally similar to ESO's).

How did I go almost 40 levels without knowing how to break CC? Was it in the tutorial?

Wow I'm an idiot.

Please do tell. I've rarely encountered CC as I've only ran a handful of dungeons on my way to 40, so I don't know either. I'm an idiot too.

Veteran Ranks are broken. It rewards only quest and dungeon grinding(Eg go in dungeon and just farm tigers), very little for PVP and nothing for exploration. If you missed any quests in non VR areas they give you nothing.You play through the other factions which potentionally ruins it for an alt character.

This is one of the most valid complaints I've seen about VRs. I don't mean the grinding either (which is tedious for most, but I'm one of the type who likes it). I mean the fact that you level through other zones which does ruin the game for leveling an alt...which theoretically then makes you leave the game sooner once you "cap out" in gear or PVP or whatever you are doing because there is no use in leveling a second character. I wonder what their plan is for that side of the equation.

Zenimax needs to solve this else i see many players leaving after the first month.

This is the standard quote for every MMO thread I've ever seen everywhere at every launch, not just on GAF. Always "everyone will leave" when the truth is more along the lines of "a lot of us will leave no matter what you do".

Nearly every MMO launch has had server bullshit, almost every single one has had duping exploits or even multiple item duping bugs, and the more recent ones have had gold farming in spades just like ESO from launch.

Reached the point where I'm thinking some free time is in order.

I do agree with this. It's due. The weird maintenance during the weekdays is terrible and that's before you account for the server issues. The multiple server takedowns for emergency patches or server issues have not been the worst I've seen launch-wise, but there have been enough now to where it's time for some recompense.

Xander51

I agree that the constant emergency maintenance is getting to be rather off-putting. I followed their twitter account at launch and it seems like one of the megaservers goes down every day. Kind of a bummer.

I haven't played this as much as I would have liked, and more than once I've gone to log in only to run into one of these sudden maintenance windows.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Are there any atlases or similar books out or coming out for ESO? It seems most big name MMOs have at least one.

shigsy

While the EU server is down, has anyone else had a problem with the default ` (tilde) keybind for weapon swapping? I just cannot get it to work in game, yet the key functions fine out of game. I find it odd what with it being the default bind!

KePoW

Banned
WHY IS MY INVENTORY ALWAYS FULL

I guess I need to keep track of it better, pretty terrible at item management but it seems like as soon as I make room it immediately fills up again, lost track of the amount of times I've had to throw something away just to complete a quest lol.

Really enjoying the game though. Currently ranking my blacksmithing up!

Best tip is don't pick up everything in crates & barrels, etc.

Also don't pick up white items.

Fuz

Banned
I don't understand why, but I die very, VERY often because the game doesn't load the mobs. No NPC around (and I mean... around ALL map), I take 2 steps and BAM! dead. Then they appear.
It happes so fucking much it's completely unplayable.
I have an old pc, sure, but what the hell... it never happened in any other mmo.

Didn't had this problem in beta, if I did I wouldn't have bought the game.
Extremely frustrating.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I honestly find this game very hard to play with a standard MMO mind set of plow through it and get to max level as fast as possible. Doing that actually makes me enjoy the game less. xD

Because there's no point in just banning gold spammers when they are found. You have to find the people actually farming the gold and ban those accounts in order to remove farmed gold from the economy of an MMO. You have to watch who responds to gold spammers and which accounts they interact with to get their bought gold delivered and then ban the mule and the buyer.

Most importantly, it's best for the company if they wait until the gold farmer renews their sub and then drops the banhammer right after, so they get sub money before the ban. This is why bot accounts belonging to gold farmers are allowed to farm for what seems like weeks on end in many MMOs.

I'm actually told (by someone who works at ZOS, but not in the relevant department), that gold farmers mostly use stolen credit cards, so they don't ever actually see money from those accounts. They're concerned about the situation, but as noted simple banning doesn't help. Also, publishing your countermeasures (i.e. telling players what they're doing about it) is extremely counterproductive, because it just tells the farmers/spammers how not to get caught.

I honestly find this game very hard to play with a standard MMO mind set of plow through it and get to max level as fast as possible. Doing that actually makes me enjoy the game less. xD

This is also my experience. There's so much stuff, and rushing through it diminishes my enjoyment somewhat.

The common horse is quite shitty. Saved thousands, took me quite a few days since I had to repair equipment and have money go towards other things time to time...but man...I finally get it. And it's slow as shit! When I played the latest beta and they included Imperial horses for 1 gold, I knew they were slow anyways, but after spending all that money and all that time...kinda feels like a waste. -_-

docbon

The common horse is quite shitty. Saved thousands, took me quite a few days since I had to repair equipment and have money go towards other things time to time...but man...I finally get it. And it's slow as shit! When I played the latest beta and they included Imperial horses for 1 gold, I knew they were slow anyways, but after spending all that money and all that time...kinda feels like a waste. -_-

oh noooo

should have saved up for the 42k one instead. alas.

Dunlop

Yeah I noticed that my running speed was the same as someone in that horse, seems kind if pointless

Only at 11k anyways

The common horse (and the imperial horse, and the store horse) is only a 15% speed buff, making me frequently forget that I have it. The good one is still only 25%, but it also has a 10 point higher cap on the speed, maxing at 74% instead of 64% if you only ever feed it apples.

I'm not sure I think the 10% more speed is worth the 30k price difference, sometimes...

I don't understand why, but I die very, VERY often because the game doesn't load the mobs. No NPC around (and I mean... around ALL map), I take 2 steps and BAM! dead. Then they appear.
It happes so fucking much it's completely unplayable.
I have an old pc, sure, but what the hell... it never happened in any other mmo.

Didn't had this problem in beta, if I did I wouldn't have bought the game.
Extremely frustrating.

I've had this problem a couple of times since the last patch, as well as a weird issue where I'm clearly taking damage but my health bar isn't actually reflecting it. Several times I've gone from displaying full health to barely any in one jump seemingly at random, and sometimes it won't even show any missing health until after death. It makes it hard to gauge when to use pots or escape. I know I'm taking hits, but I can't see how much damage I'm actually taking.

The amount of asset reuse for towns and dungeons has definitely been a bummer. It's even more depressing when you start venturing into the planes of Oblivion and see what they're capable of creating, artistically. Then you start wondering why they didn't put forth that kind of effort everywhere else as well.

I'm hoping that they cut the habit starting with the release of Craglorn, and maybe fix up some of the earlier areas down the line.

Was getting vibes of City of Heroes from these dungeons being copy paste jobs

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
might be worth having a look into wildstar, due out in june too if you're not sure.

looks refreshing

I have been contemplating playing both ESO and Wildstar, but after this beta weekend with Wildstar... I'm going to stick with just ESO I think.

Wildstar might be awesome when it releases in full, I don't like judging games on betas... but there are so many things that hold me back from liking it.
No voiced characters, floaty AoE everything and next to no immersion due to MMO traits (after playing minimalist ESO).

It's a game I want to find refreshing and awesome, but I just can't right now.
Back to Tamriel!

Volenfell is probably my favorite dungeon so far. Really liked how the rocky/desert area looked and they actually managed to make the Dwarven ruins feel refreshing again. The bosses were refreshing too.

Also, Argonian heavy armor always gives me a good laugh. Though I feel sexy.

13943881794_db092a232b_o.jpg

Hurley

What the fuck is with all the bots in the public dungeons?

Everyone of them I go into there's a whole heap standing around the boss in there and take it down within a few seconds of it spawning lol. Are they loot farming?

Hambone

Everyone of them I go into there's a whole heap standing around the boss in there and take it down within a few seconds of it spawning lol. Are they loot farming?

I don't know, man, but it's fucking annoying. Took me forever to get in the middle, and try to get a few good hits on the boss to get the dungeon completed.

I reported the lot of them. I would really like a way to submit a ticket for a GM appearance so they can remove them from the place.

How friendly is this game for non-MMO players ? Is it easy to get into ? And how differently does it play from standard Elder Scrolls games ?

Its absolutely hilarious! and annoying at the same time.

can I get an NA guild invite @echelon079

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Which in my opinion is a great, great thing.

The fact the story/lore/world pulls you in to make you want to experience things such as dialogue and quests, is ESO's #1 feature if you ask me.

I love being a Skooma infused DK, roaming the lands in search of booty and/or mudcrabs.

How friendly is this game for non-MMO players ? Is it easy to get into ? And how differently does it play from standard Elder Scrolls games ?

I'm an elder scroll fan from the Morrowind days. It's really easy to get into. To me it feels like a sp ES game with some MMO elements added in. Which is actually pretty cool. And it doesn't play too much differently. The biggest difference for me is you can't pick up every object you find. You will see books, swords, etc and you can't pick them up.

I know you guys keep bringing up reused assets in dungeons, but I just finished Eastmarch, the fourth area of the Ebonheart Pact and never once did the area feel stale.

It's really the public dungeons, and some quest areas, that are heavily reused. Some of the textures are reused in the 4mans, but the layouts are in no way even close to being like any of the public dungeons, and they feature any environments you don't see in the world. I wish I had taken screens of Volenfell and Tempest Island.

And the outer world environments are pretty well varied in the EP faction at least. Lots of neat things to see and even in the fourth zone I saw things that made me go "whoa" much like Oblivion makes me feel.

13921112942_c1bd06fe8e_o.jpg
13921111672_1a1251412d_o.jpg

13944221215_13cfbf3a37_h.jpg

13741425673_c4e7f9140f_h.jpg

Sorry to blow up the thread with pics. I really wish downsampling hadn't broken on my AMD drivers or I'd take way better screens.

All the public dungeons except for the ones present at the start of each zone are copy pasta assets and layouts, but the game definitely shows that some effort was put into the world and 4mans.

They definitely aren't on FFXIV's level of varied dungeon art styles, though.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Got to level 15 last week and haven't touched it since. I really do enjoy the game but after a while it starts feeling REALLY repetitive.
Welcome to MMOs. I know that sounds cliché, but it's the truth. This genre is the epitome of repetition, and if it ain't clicking then it's best to jump out.

This long weekend sucks, ccan't play because family require me saying hello to them, sigh.

Top Bottom