• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

I don't think the TES archetypes translate well to an MMO. I've been trying to play my typical TES daggers/bow build but you can't switch weapons on the fly until level 15, and bows are pretty clearly meant to be a secondary thing, since no main skills really seem to do anything with them.

Plus, stealth mechanics feel hella pointless, since you're almost always in a group. It's hard to actually make use of being invisible, so I basically just have to run around mashing the stabby ability (which I just upgraded to Impale, which... seems busted).

Hawk269

Is there controller support in this yet?

No but you can use Pinnacle to add controller support. That is what I have been using and outside of using my kb for chat/keying in my password, I have been playing with the controller the whole time. The profiles they have are pretty good, but I customized one of them to give me a bit more control of stuff.

Is there any ranged caster in this? The official website has no info on "classes" and I haven't played any Elder Scrolls games before :/ I typically go caster in other MMO's so just wondering what is similar here?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I've been playing around with my Orc and I only just realised i joined the Aldmeri Dominion.

I am an Orc in a unholy land.

docbon

I don't think the TES archetypes translate well to an MMO. I've been trying to play my typical TES daggers/bow build but you can't switch weapons on the fly until level 15, and bows are pretty clearly meant to be a secondary thing, since no main skills really seem to do anything with them.

Plus, stealth mechanics feel hella pointless, since you're almost always in a group. It's hard to actually make use of being invisible, so I basically just have to run around mashing the stabby ability (which I just upgraded to Impale, which... seems busted).

Never used bows, so I can't really comment on their effectiveness. I'm planning on using it for my orc speedster solely for the movement speed buffs on one of its passive skills.

And I agree. For PvE, stealth didn't seem too special outside of its use for opening strikes.

It's super important for troop movement in PVP, though.

Is there any ranged caster in this? The official website has no info on "classes" and I haven't played any Elder Scrolls games before :/ I typically go caster in other MMO's so just wondering what is similar here?

Any class can use destruction and restoration staves, which have their own dedicated skill lines. So basically everyone can be a ranged caster, though differing class abilities may affect how you play it.

Quoting myself.

Off the top of my head, I know Cyrodiil was supposed to have been a tropical jungle during the second era, and instead it's very similar to how it looked in Oblivion.

There's bound to be more, though. The whole "Alliance War" thing was just pulled out of thin air, there was no historical evidence that it ever happened before. But the same could be said for Skyrim: before that game came out, no one had ever heard of the Dragon War.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
are there only 4 classes in the game?

Rafterman

Banned
So I played Wildstar all day yesterday and ESO pretty much all morning and while I love them both for different reasons, I'd have to say this game is the better of the two for a person like me. First off the character creator kicks ass. I've never been as happy with my starting look as I have been in this game. Second, exploring the world is far more enjoyable and it definitely has that ES vibe to it, and finally I'm still a fan of voice acting in my MMOs and this game has it in spades. Wildstar has better combat, without question, but the game feels like I'm being led around by the nose where as ESO is a game I feel like I can just roam around in and explore. It's frankly pretty appalling how bad of a reputation this game has gotten considering how much fun it is to actually play.

-NeoTB1-

So I played Wildstar all day yesterday and ESO pretty much all morning and while I love them both for different reasons, I'd have to say this game is the better of the two for a person like me. First off the character creator kicks ass. I've never been as happy with my starting look as I have been in this game. Second, exploring the world is far more enjoyable and it definitely has that ES vibe to it, and finally I'm still a fan of voice acting in my MMOs and this game has it in spades. Wildstar has better combat, without question, but the game feels like I'm being led around by the nose where as ESO is a game I feel like I can just roam around in and explore. It's frankly pretty appalling how bad of a reputation this game has gotten considering how much fun it is to actually play.

Good to hear. Thanks for the impressions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
No but you can use Pinnacle to add controller support. That is what I have been using and outside of using my kb for chat/keying in my password, I have been playing with the controller the whole time. The profiles they have are pretty good, but I customized one of them to give me a bit more control of stuff.

Is Pinnacle free?

Off the top of my head, I know Cyrodiil was supposed to have been a tropical jungle during the second era, and instead it's very similar to how it looked in Oblivion.

There's bound to be more, though. The whole "Alliance War" thing was just pulled out of thin air, there was no historical evidence that it ever happened before. But the same could be said for Skyrim: before that game came out, no one had ever heard of the Dragon War.
Actually, where TESO takes place in the timeline corresponds to an era known as the Interregnum, where the Reman Empire collapsed and the Empire became a bunch of squabbling provinces for a few centuries, with pretender emperors taking the throne for very short periods of time. This would precede the coming of the Septim Empire, which would serve as the basis for the Empire as we know it in TES. The Interregnum period was established prior to TESO itself. So it roughly fills in the details of an era within that section of time. I have no doubt there are plenty of retcons to lingering details therein, but that remains to be seen entirely.

nynt9

I'm more concerned about the gameplay in an MMO than the voice acting or character creation, those are so unimportant to me that I'm actually kinda sad they spent so much money on getting top tier voice actors when the game itself is still buggy. The world being nice is cool, but instancing kinda kills that vibe and areas were very empty and overly large in the beta, is that still the case on release?

Mindman

I created an add-on recommendation and suggestion thread on the official forums, if anyone is interested in taking a look.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...n-suggestion-and-recommendation-thread#latest

Nice list. Could someone, theoretically, make an add-on that adds controller support to the game? With correct button prompts, etc?

EDIT:

Looks like we are well on the way there already! http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscroll...4/addon_stratejacket360ui_controller_support/

Best Pinnacle profile I've seen so far + UI for button prompts in the works! Crazy awesome!

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Holy mother of god, trying to download ESO on my laptop on my university campus internet and I've gotten 3% in 1 hour... Ugh. It's days like these where I sometimes miss physical copies.

Hawk269

Is Pinnacle free?

Yes it is free. And once you download a few profiles for the game, you can go into the editor and make adjustments to your liking. It is a easy program to work with. I am not the best at figuring some of these programs out, but after a while I was able to modify the one they officially put out to my liking. I am still tweaking it a bit, but overall it is working good for me.

You can program all buttons on the controller and you can even have each button do 2 things. Like for me, I have "A" for jump, so when I press and release "A" he jumps. If I hold "A" down, that is what I use to exit conversations/menu's etc.

My only major issue with the lore is the same problem I have with a lot of fantasy stories that span thousands of years - there's really not much to indicate time frame. There's not much that screams "this happens nearly 1000 years before Skyrim" in terms of culture, art design, etc etc.

demonkaze

Ok, for those on the EU server, I've created a GAF guild:

Guild: NeoGAF
Leader: Astraer / @astraer
Alliance: Aldmeri Dominion

Whisper me for an invite.

Somnia

Well day 1 was a pretty good success for me. I may fall behind for a bit though due to the fact I work mon-thurs this week (took friday the 4th and all of next week off, couldnt do this week due to scheduling).

Got level 17 and into stormhaven on Daggerfall side, also got level 44 provisioner and have quite a few rarer blue receipes for level 25 food/drink already. Sadly AD is dominated our campaign (Dawnbreaker) as Entroy Rising and PRX rushed in and took it all over when there was no competition from DC or EP. As we level up more and the launch actually happens I'm sure it will all balance out though.

So far rock solid start, one of the best MMO launchs ever so far (probably right there with RIFT in smoothness). I hit 1 quest bug (I know others have hit some like the assassin's on the docks, butI got it done early so didn't have an issue) and skipped it for now, will return later to finish it, but I got the achievement for 61 quests done in Glenumbra without it thankfully.

Glad to see such a good launch so far. 3 day access up next and then actual launch on the 4th, let's hope it all holds together!

This does seem to be a case of 'those who play it seem to like it' syndrome, for a lack of a better word.

This is one of the few, if only, MMOs where I've felt like I can take my time and take things at my own pace. There's no 'rush' to be first, it doesn't feel like that type of game.

Woorloog

Banned

There is exactly a single line of text (written in 3rd Era and referring the same era, IIRC) ever referring to Cyrodiil being jungle, and that's some pamphlet Morrowind, if i recall correctly. Well, that and and Heimskr's preaching in Skyrim, where he quotes a line about Tiber Septim apparently using Thu'um to transform the entire province to something else. Which could be a myth (he is a fanatic preacher after all, his ramblings are not necessarily trustworthy), or actually much lesser effect, Thu'um are powerful but affecting an entire province would require immensely powerful magic (of course, if Tiber Septim is partially a god or such...).
EDIT, Apparently Mythic Dawn Commentaries refers to Cyrodiil being jungles before too. Hmm.

In any case, i wouldn't call Cyrodiil being temperate forest being automatic contradiction to established lore, which is relatively vague about this. And pretty irrelevant considering the typical MMO space compression.

And that reminds me, i looked at Mournhold map. 15 buildings, give or take. Right. So... where's Almalexia? Mournhold is the temple-city inside Almalexia, according to established lore (it is basically fantasy-Vatican City). Now it could have been built later, but the Tribunal has been long in power by the 2nd Era.
Perhaps it is also a victim of the space compression i mentioned.

The difference between the Alliance War and the Dragon War is that the latter was set during the Merethic era, before even the 1st Era and more formalized calendar. It is quite literally lost in myth and legends. Now i'm not sure but i got a feeling it wasn't well known during the events of Skyrim.
2nd Era is much better documented... though perhaps there is space for the Alliance War. Me, i find it rather silly though, considering how the reason for it is basically Oblivion's story with some elements from Arena and Daggerfall...

Einbroch

Banned
Well, pulled the trigger. Ordered it from GMG, 20% off coupon. Should be able to play tomorrow morning.

Dammit streams!

They managed to explain the multiple endings of Daggerfall in lore, so taking something established and stretching it for the sake of gameplay is not unheard of.

Woorloog

Banned
They managed to explain the multiple endings of Daggerfall in lore, so taking something established and stretching it for the sake of gameplay is not unheard of.

Sure. Daggerfall explanation is a tad awkward but ultimately it does work.
I reckon they end up explaining TESO with a Dragon Break too though. Temporary alternate timeline or some such.

Kem0sabe

Ok, for those on the EU server, I've created a GAF guild:

Guild: NeoGAF
Leader: Astraer / @astraer
Alliance: Aldmeri Dominion

Whisper me for an invite.

Awesome, was hoping you guys chose the Dominion, my favorite faction from the betas. Me and my brother will start playing tomorrow, ill make sure to give you a shout ingame. :)

Elder Scrolls lore basically has a built-in excuse for retcons and even weird stuff like player characters. I'm still trying to decide whether it's clever or stupid.

Either way I wish the games dipped into the more unique parts of the lore more. It's a shame that inspired stuff like the 36 Sermons are mostly super-esoteric side content.

demonkaze

Awesome, was hoping you guys chose the Dominion, my favorite faction from the betas. Me and my brother will start playing tomorrow, ill make sure to give you a shout ingame. :)

Sounds good to me, give me a shout when you guys are on. Only three of us at the moment, hopefully we see more in the next coming days lol.

Anyone tried a respec yet? I know it refunds all points, including morphs, do the skills you lose retain their levels? For example would I be able to turn my poison arrow back into venom arrow without going through the leveling bit again?

Somnia

Anyone tried a respec yet? I know it refunds all points, including morphs, do the skills you lose retain their levels? For example would I be able to turn my poison arrow back into venom arrow without going through the leveling bit again?

Skills retain their level, but like you said the points come back and the morph resets.

Sure. Daggerfall explanation is a tad awkward but ultimately it does work.
I reckon they end up explaining TESO with a Dragon Break too though. Temporary alternate timeline or some such.
That wouldn't surprise me, or if they explain some reason for the war to be forgotten. It would be amazing if, like the Dragon Break is a nod to player agency, they create done crazy narrative device that acknowledges that there are millions of vessels. Like a sort of infinite universes thing.

Either way I wish the games dipped into the more unique parts of the lore more. It's a shame that inspired stuff like the 36 Sermons are mostly super-esoteric side content.
For sure. It's cool to see Elsweyr, but where's are my tens of species of Khajiit? I forget the lore name, but I'd choke a lich for the giant four legged species that acts as a mount for other Khajiit.

This is the most ringing endorsement I've ever seen for an MMO.
I played that version of XIV, bought it at launch. I still suffer PTSD from it.

Awesome, thank you. Makes it a lot easier to experiment.
Beware that cost goes up, iirc, based on level and times respecced. If they launch a store, I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to repsec in place of spending gold, which is quite limited so far.

For sure. It's cool to see Elsweyr, but where's are my tens of species of Khajiit? I forget the lore name, but I'd choke a lich for the giant four legged species that acts as a mount for other Khajiit.

Incidentally, that's another built-in retcon excuse so they could explain why Khajit had plantigrade legs all of a sudden. I'm not sure if Argonians got the same courtesy.

Dawg

7WgvWD0.jpg

Dawg

Dawg,

gimme your impressions so far. I'm itching to buy.

I might not be the best choice for that. I don't really like it, and that's an understatement. I know it's a bethesda game but the bugs really bother me at times. Stuff like bad animations, random dismounting, quest trackers and npcs disappearing.

And then you have a questing system that makes you feel like you're playing the biggest single player elder scrolls game to date. You know what, just scrap the multiplayer stuff and that's what you have. It feels like a skyrim multiplayer mod at times.

And then you're stuck in a prison while a naked player is dancing next to you in the same prison room. And when a npc appears who talks with you how to get out, the prison door is constantly opening and closing because other players are getting out while you're still talking with your savior. OK it's a MMO but why go through the trouble of creating immersive storylines when other players break said immersion all the time? It's really annoying at times.

Can't help but think this could have been the greatest Elder Scrolls game if it was single player. Maybe a co-op option. Now it feels like something between both worlds, nor sure what to think about it. Might be worth it just to explore Tamriel though. I kinda wish Cyrodiil wasn't a pvp zone. Oblivion questing zone would have been sogood.gif

Not really a fan of the first-person view either, feels like an afterthought to please fans.

So, I've played a few beta weekends and hated this game and managed to swipe a 5 day code and give the game one more shot.

Oddly enough I'm kinda enjoying myself this time around. I like the art style, while the graphis aren't really impressive they look nice. I think if the game had proper AA it would be quite beautiful. Instead it's a blurry mess, but the detail is there.

Some people mentioned that exploration is rewarded, how so? So far I've seen come up from traveling off the beaten path is finding side hubs and "dungeons" with a boss inside. Sometimes you can find environment interactibles that show you a dungeon's location. I haven't seen anything insanely cool yet though.

Also I am struggling with combat. I tend to either fight really easy enemies or really tough ones and I'm not sure if I'm playing right. Everyone else around me seems to melt mobs. Is it cause I'm a melee? I'm playing a two hand tanky build, templar class. I just don't do much damage. Any tips?

Top Bottom