• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

hittman

Banned
Urgh, there's no preload for this? I just got standard edition from GMG and the download button is greyed out. At work though, might check GMGs download service when I get home to see if i can activate they key through there.

Calabain

Neo Member
There is exactly a single line of text (written in 3rd Era and referring the same era, IIRC) ever referring to Cyrodiil being jungle, and that's some pamphlet Morrowind, if i recall correctly. Well, that and and Heimskr's preaching in Skyrim, where he quotes a line about Tiber Septim apparently using Thu'um to transform the entire province to something else. Which could be a myth (he is a fanatic preacher after all, his ramblings are not necessarily trustworthy), or actually much lesser effect, Thu'um are powerful but affecting an entire province would require immensely powerful magic (of course, if Tiber Septim is partially a god or such...).
EDIT, Apparently Mythic Dawn Commentaries refers to Cyrodiil being jungles before too. Hmm.

In any case, i wouldn't call Cyrodiil being temperate forest being automatic contradiction to established lore, which is relatively vague about this. And pretty irrelevant considering the typical MMO space compression.

And that reminds me, i looked at Mournhold map. 15 buildings, give or take. Right. So... where's Almalexia? Mournhold is the temple-city inside Almalexia, according to established lore (it is basically fantasy-Vatican City). Now it could have been built later, but the Tribunal has been long in power by the 2nd Era.
Perhaps it is also a victim of the space compression i mentioned.

The difference between the Alliance War and the Dragon War is that the latter was set during the Merethic era, before even the 1st Era and more formalized calendar. It is quite literally lost in myth and legends. Now i'm not sure but i got a feeling it wasn't well known during the events of Skyrim.
2nd Era is much better documented... though perhaps there is space for the Alliance War. Me, i find it rather silly though, considering how the reason for it is basically Oblivion's story with some elements from Arena and Daggerfall...

I think people are upset about the whole Cyrodiil not being a jungle thing because the whole idea of a bunch of crazy Romans running around an insanely dangerous jungle was just an awesome image.

Also, from my understanding there already was an implied explanation for Cyrodiil being a forest within Oblivion. That being Talos utilizing CHIM to change the region into a more hospitable environment both forward and backward in time. Now, the transcription error thing pretty much flies in the face of that explanation, which jells much better with the overarching mythos.

That being said, the transcription error explanation could just be extremely meta or something, who knows. There are some lore issues with TES:O, but according to the Elder Scrolls Lore reddit who generally seem to know their stuff really, really well there aren't as many issues as initially feared.

I really wished that they would have worked harder to set the different races apart from each other architecturally. Getting rid of the walking tree cities and making the Altmer cities incredibly, well, boring come to mind.

Sotha_Sil

I really wished that they would have worked harder to set the different races apart from each other architecturally. Getting rid of the walking tree cities and making the Altmer cities incredibly, well, boring come to mind.

They didn't do the moving trees in Valenwood? FFS, I wish Zenimax just left TES to Bethesda. This could be devastating to the franchise if it's a big flop.

As for TES lore, I don't even try to wade too deep into that muck. People can't even agree on what is canon or not canon (MK's writings, for example). And once you get past that, a lot of the deep lore is quite theoretical and abstract. On one hand, it's incredibly impressive, and perhaps unmatched in gaming. On the other, it's ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I've read almost nothing about this game, despite being a longtime TES fan.

gribbles

Banned
Some people mentioned that exploration is rewarded, how so? So far I've seen come up from traveling off the beaten path is finding side hubs and "dungeons" with a boss inside. Sometimes you can find environment interactibles that show you a dungeon's location. I haven't seen anything insanely cool yet though.

Apart from skyshards which boost your skill points, not much else really.

Also I am struggling with combat. I tend to either fight really easy enemies or really tough ones and I'm not sure if I'm playing right. Everyone else around me seems to melt mobs. Is it cause I'm a melee? I'm playing a two hand tanky build, templar class. I just don't do much damage. Any tips?

Are you actually blocking and interrupting when you're supposed to? If not, that's the reason you're finding it hard.

When an enemy shimmers white, you need to block. When they shimmer red, you need to interrupt. Doing either one correctly stuns them and allows you to knock them down with a power strike.

Calabain

Neo Member
They didn't do the moving trees in Valenwood? FFS, I wish Zenimax just left TES to Bethesda. This could be devastating to the franchise if it's a big flop.

As for TES lore, I don't even try to wade too deep into that muck. People can't even agree on what is canon or not canon (MK's writings, for example). And once you get past that, a lot of the deep lore is quite theoretical and abstract. On one hand, it's incredibly impressive, and perhaps unmatched in gaming. On the other, it's ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I've read almost nothing about this game, despite being a longtime TES fan.

Yeah the whole setting is awesome once you scratch the surface. Probably one of the most metaphysical and complex settings in fantasy, at least that I've run across, and most people don't even realize it. There was a great write-up I read that details how Miraak in Dragonborn was attempting to mantle Aka-Tusk in order to become one of the most powerful Gods in the next Kalpa. I love how they are able to throw clues about that kind of stuff in without having Miraak saying "I WANT TO MANTLE AKA-TUSK, HERE WHO AKA-TUSK IS BY THE WAY." What Bethesda lacks in character development they make up for with metaphysical subtlety

But yeah, figuring out what is and isn't "canon" is next to impossible. Well, now it IS impossible by nature thanks to C0DA and with Bethesda's apparent acceptance of it.

Most people don't really dive into the lore though, largely because a lot of the interesting stuff is out of game that you have to combine with in game clues. The writers/masters of the setting at Bethesda seem ok with this as they have accepted some of MK's writings, or at least acknowledge they existed which is cool but makes the entire thing very...taxing to sort through.

Please, as if Bethesda Softworks would have put moving trees in Valenwood. They would have retconned it to say the trees were all asleep in this age, or something.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
guys, guys: I was just aout to click the purchase button but stumbled across the fact this game doesn't have an AH; read something about it but couldnt figure out how its gonna work for a predominantly solo player, anyone wanna clarify it to me? It could make or break the deal

I guess the Guild Stores sort of act as an AH? No idea, never really thought about it. However, I did think it was strange you can loot/steal everything without any real action taken against you. I think for this reason alone an AH would be a bit pointless, as there's so many items freely available to just loot/pick up.

There is exactly a single line of text (written in 3rd Era and referring the same era, IIRC) ever referring to Cyrodiil being jungle, and that's some pamphlet Morrowind, if i recall correctly. Well, that and and Heimskr's preaching in Skyrim, where he quotes a line about Tiber Septim apparently using Thu'um to transform the entire province to something else. Which could be a myth (he is a fanatic preacher after all, his ramblings are not necessarily trustworthy), or actually much lesser effect, Thu'um are powerful but affecting an entire province would require immensely powerful magic (of course, if Tiber Septim is partially a god or such...).
EDIT, Apparently Mythic Dawn Commentaries refers to Cyrodiil being jungles before too. Hmm.

In any case, i wouldn't call Cyrodiil being temperate forest being automatic contradiction to established lore, which is relatively vague about this. And pretty irrelevant considering the typical MMO space compression.

And that reminds me, i looked at Mournhold map. 15 buildings, give or take. Right. So... where's Almalexia? Mournhold is the temple-city inside Almalexia, according to established lore (it is basically fantasy-Vatican City). Now it could have been built later, but the Tribunal has been long in power by the 2nd Era.
Perhaps it is also a victim of the space compression i mentioned.

The difference between the Alliance War and the Dragon War is that the latter was set during the Merethic era, before even the 1st Era and more formalized calendar. It is quite literally lost in myth and legends. Now i'm not sure but i got a feeling it wasn't well known during the events of Skyrim.
2nd Era is much better documented... though perhaps there is space for the Alliance War. Me, i find it rather silly though, considering how the reason for it is basically Oblivion's story with some elements from Arena and Daggerfall...

Bethesda introduced a retcon prior to Oblivion which involved Tiber Septim turning Cyrodiil into the forests we know today, so that it was a rainforest before has been pretty much established. I'm not complaining, we already have two rainforest provinces, after all, but it's basically a retcon of a retcon.

There's a lot of songs and legends about the Dragon War. Makes sense that we wouldn't hear them in other provinces, but I also kinda felt like they were just pulled out of thin air for Skyrim. People know there once were dragons, and that we apparently once fought them.

Only the first and last parts of the Second Era are pretty well documented, with stuff like the Potentates in the beginning and the rise of Talos and Cuhlecain at the end. There's never been a clear-cut picture of what happens in between, just that it was "chaotic". It does seem kinda convenient that that "chaos" happens to include another Daedric Prince attempting to conquer Tamriel while one of the largest conflicts ever seen on Nirn was being fought, and all these details vanished later on. With the way TESO works, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing just gets the Dragon Break treatment at the end.

You're right about Mournhold, but the two names have been used interchangeably. So perhaps we'll see that, but I doubt it.

They do Valenwood and can't even get the most basic details right. Smh, I wouldn't be surprised if the province looks more like Cyrodiil than an actual rainforest.

And yeah, TES lore has gotten a lot more crazy lately. I tend to see MK's stuff as flavor material, nothing more. It's just batshit insane.

I've seen plenty people (both in-game and on forums) say quests are bugged, but I haven't encountered any yet. However, I've not really left Daggerfall, so I guess that's still to come.

docbon

Just getting out of Coldharbour. Hoping the influx of new users isn't the tipping point for the phasing issues or something.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Lé Blade Runner;106524104 said:
Hum. If the game-world itself is well-made, I might get this for the PS4 and play for a month or two.

This is my plan too

Kem0sabe

Created my characters just to reserve the names, will play my main properly once i get home from work.

If anyone wants to add me to friends here goes:

Left Hand of the Gods - Sorcerer, Aldmeri Dominion, Europe Megaserver.

Vlodril

Yea making a char, logging out and making a second char solved the problem.

Game looks good. Since no one is saying it looks better, must be placebo effect or something.

Z3M0G

Holy mother of god, trying to download ESO on my laptop on my university campus internet and I've gotten 3% in 1 hour... Ugh. It's days like these where I sometimes miss physical copies.

Is this game really digital only? Elder Scrolls games always had sick packages and collectors editions...

Edit: Oh, I suppose it is only early access now... physical release is coming.

Hellers

I'm stuck at work and there's not nearly enough ESO chat going on here to keep me going until I can get home and play.

I'll throw in some basic questions I have to see if we can get some chat going.

1. How do you get started in crafting? I have lots of materials I've picked up on my travels but haven't seen any recipes for sale.
2. Ditto for fishing.
3. Where do you buy inventory upgrades?
4. I joined Daggerfall. Is it best to do the first two islands and then come back to the mainland and carry on?
5. Why isn't it home time yet?

docbon

I'm stuck at work and there's not nearly enough ESO chat going on here to keep me going until I can get home and play.

I'll throw in some basic questions I have to see if we can get some chat going.

1. How do you get started in crafting? I have lots of materials I've picked up on my travels but haven't seen any recipes for sale.
2. Ditto for fishing.
3. Where do you buy inventory upgrades?
4. I joined Daggerfall. Is it best to do the first two islands and then come back to the mainland and carry on?
5. Why isn't it home time yet?

1. For crafting, just take your materials to the appropriate workbench in the main town and refine them. You can also break down extra equipment for their components, but you'll be looking at a loss of potential gold. You can find the crafting areas by hovering over the icons in the town map. Also, If you come across an item you don't need that has a trait, research it. By researching enough traits for a certain weapon or piece of armor, you gain the ability to craft set pieces for it. For this, you'll need to find special crafting stations hidden in the world.

2. For fishing, you just need bait, such as crawlers. When you find an area of water that has a splashing or rippling effect, hold E and select the bait from your radial menu, then start fishing.

3. Inventory upgrades can be bought from an NPC at the bank.

4. Yes, mainly for the skyshards and skillpoints rewarded by certain quests.

5. You have been cursed by the fates.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't wrap my head around why this doesn't have controller support. The entire interface is based around using a controller, but they have no controller support whatsoever?

Seriously, what the hell?

Really been enjoying the quests so far. Running with my wife it feels like the coop TES we've been wanting, just with hordes of other players running around. I know some quests are just fetch or kill quests, but they do a decent job contextualizing them. Also having messengers for the guilds run up to you with quests or stumbling on a dead guy with a quest is awesome.
We did the first group dungeon and I found that pretty unsatisfying. Tonight we're going to try out some pvp. Any Daggerfall guilds?

Alright, two things:

1. I'm starting to panic a bit about my current main. Having no idea where to start for an archer build, I looked at how Force was doing it in the betas and used that as a starting point. Since it seemed physical rather than class focused, he did medium armor and focused on stamina. But later videos I'm finding now show he dumped everything into stamina, buffed it on his armor, and soft capped it. So the build is very tailored in a way I wasn't expecting. I'm finding myself using more class abilities than physical, and will probably have an even split in later levels. Should I switch to light armor instead for magicka focus, or stick with medium?

Oh, and I haven't used a single attribute point still because I can't being myself to commit to a focus.

2. What do you guys do with all the regular weapon and armor drops you get but don't need? Deconstructing doesn't seem to add very much progress, so I'm starting to wonder if I should sell them instead. I've just been breaking them down, but after expanding the back and backpack once reach, I only have 2k gold.

docbon

Alright, two things:

1. I'm starting to panic a bit about my current main. Having no idea where to start for an archer build, I looked at how Force was doing it in the betas and used that as a starting point. Since it seemed physical rather than class focused, he did medium armor and focused on stamina. But later videos I'm finding now show he dumped everything into stamina, buffed it on his armor, and soft capped it. So the build is very tailored in a way I wasn't expecting. I'm finding myself using more class abilities than physical, and will probably have an even split in later levels. Should I switch to light armor instead for magicka focus, or stick with medium?

Oh, and I haven't used a single attribute point still because I can't being myself to commit to a focus.

2. What do you guys do with all the regular weapon and armor drops you get but don't need? Deconstructing doesn't seem to add very much progress, so I'm starting to wonder if I should sell them instead. I've just been breaking them down, but after expanding the back and backpack once reach, I only have 2k gold.

I'm no authority on builds, and I have yet to mess around with bows in general, but for crafting, you'll most likely want to sell trash gear, gather materials from nodes, and research items you find with traits you don't have. If you have a crafting buddy, you can also trade each other your crafted items, then break them down for bonus XP.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I've yet to encounter a bugged quest too but I guess I've just been lucky. Game is still pretty fun and I love exploring. Some areas have some really nice music.

Still need more people for the GAF NA Guild too. lol Please message me Dega (@Emenis) in game. Even if you're not in the Ebonheart Pact it's still nice to have GAF to talk to.

Rafterman

Banned
I've yet to encounter a bugged quest too but I guess I've just been lucky. Game is still pretty fun and I love exploring. Some areas have some really nice music.

Same, no bugged quests so far. The only questing issue I've found up to this point is a quest where you have to let cultists do a chant before you kill them to get an item but people keep killing them as soon as they spawn. As for exploring, last night I was just running around in a forest following a treasure map I found and between the rain, thunder, lightning, and ambient noises it was as immersed in an MMO world as I've been in a long time. And, yes, the music is really good. They've done an excellent job of making ESO feel like a fleshed out world and not just a playground.

Edit: Turns out that quest is bugged. You don't really have to wait, that's just what people came up with after not getting the drops. It seems only one spot is dropping the items so we have like 50 people trying to kill one mob every 4 minutes. Not good.

Well, I like the game. Never truly liked any MMO before now. For once, I want to do the quests.

World is immersive. No obtrusive UI. It feels like SP TES but online (which is very good). I can't wait to tackle some co-op with people.

Is there a GAF guild based in the Aldmeri Dominion?

Also, I forget, how does guilding work cross-alliance?

docbon

Well, I like the game. Never truly liked any MMO before now. For once, I want to do the quests.

World is immersive. No obtrusive UI. It feels like SP TES but online (which is very good). I can't wait to tackle some co-op with people.

Is there a GAF guild based in the Aldmeri Dominion?

Also, I forget, how does guilding work cross-alliance?

There's an AD guild on EU server, and guilds are cross-alliance, though you can't PVP together for obvious reasons.

edit:Unrelated, but god damn I love how plentiful resource nodes are. I guess they tried to account for the fact that the nodes aren't instanced, but no one is actually gathering. So I get materials by the truckload.

Hellers

Edit: Turns out that quest is bugged. You don't really have to wait, that's just what people came up with after not getting the drops. It seems only one spot is dropping the items so we have like 50 people trying to kill one mob every 4 minutes. Not good.

Is that the one in the graveyard with the zombies where you have to charge up the staff? I wondered why the things weren't dropping. Eventually I managed to find a couple of spawns where they were.

Pretty smooth even for early access mind you. Slightly impressed. It'll be interesting to see how well it holds up come launch day.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I guess the Guild Stores sort of act as an AH? No idea, never really thought about it. However, I did think it was strange you can loot/steal everything without any real action taken against you. I think for this reason alone an AH would be a bit pointless, as there's so many items freely available to just loot/pick up.

but how're you going to make money? Do you have to be in a guild? As a mostly solo player I worry about it, since I couldn't find a clear explanation about how selling stuff works. I love selling stuff in MMORPGS!

-NeoTB1-

I put in a couple of hours this morning before having to stop for work. I made a Khajiit Nightblade. I really, really like it so far. Of course, I've only scratched the surface, so my opinion could change later on. Once I put some more time into it I'll share some observations. For now, it's left me wanting more!

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
but how're you going to make money? Do you have to be in a guild? As a mostly solo player I worry about it, since I couldn't find a clear explanation about how selling stuff works. I love selling stuff in MMORPGS!

Yeah you pretty much have to join a Guild. The guild store is the AH.

edit:Unrelated, but god damn I love how plentiful resource nodes are. I guess they tried to account for the fact that the nodes aren't instanced, but no one is actually gathering. So I get materials by the truckload.
I found a neat little area in Khenarthis Roost that I farmed for a while for iron ore. I have like 400 ingots now lol. Rawhide tho...

I'm no authority on builds, and I have yet to mess around with bows in general, but for crafting, you'll most likely want to sell trash gear, gather materials from nodes, and research items you find with traits you don't have. If you have a crafting buddy, you can also trade each other your crafted items, then break them down for bonus XP.
I've been researching like a motherfucker when I can. I guess I'll start selling any non-Intricate gear beneath green level? I don't know, I want to level up those skills but the gold is probably more worthwhile than the small inspiration gains I guess.

I have no friends playing, my bestie abandoned me for the eventual PS4 version. :( I'd join a GAF guild but I'd have to change my account name, and I don't know if I can.

docbon

Trading is done either face-to-face, cash-on-delivery mail, or through guild controlled stores within keeps.

http://www.reddit.com/r/esotrade seems to be the place people go to in order to set up trades.

It's not quite as convenient as an auction house, but at least with the mail option, you can send and receive from anywhere.

It also annoys me that there isn't a dedicated trade chat, either.

I have no friends playing, my bestie abandoned me for the eventual PS4 version. :( I'd join a GAF guild but I'd have to change my account name, and I don't know if I can.

I'm confused, what does your account name have to do with it?

SummitAve

Banned
I knew nothingg about ESO besides the negative talk surrounding the development. The more I read and learn about the actual game the more intrigued I've become. Jumping in after work I think.

Top Bottom