• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

Maby i'm doing my math wrong and someone can correct me.

I used the one handed perk "one handed wepons do 80% more damage." But my one handed wepons damage seems to only increase by about 17%. The necklace i'm wearing which improves it 25% is more accurate.

Sombody please correct me if i'm wrong about how this works.

Woorloog

Banned
Wait. No more DLC? So Redguard trademark wasn't for Skyrim DLC, or if it was, it was cancelled?
I can't belive there's no more DLC for Skyrim, Fallout 3 had so much DLC. New Vegas (published by Bethesda) had 4 major DLCs and a couple of minor ones. Bethesda's earlier comments for Skyrim DLC seemed to indicate they intented to alternate beetween minor and major DLCs (Heartfire was one of those minor ones, as was Spacecore (PC only, free)).. well, true, they did that but i also expected there to be much more.

So, maybe the most likeliest explanation is that rest of DLC were cancelled? PS3 issues (and thus delays for PS3 DLC, and Dragonborn for PC), and next-gen being so close... (that said, shutting down DLC production due to next-gen is kinda odd, current-gen userbase is large and will last quite long).

Bethesda hasn't made TES mobiles for long time either so i think it unlikely Redguard was meant to be such.

Of course there is a (small) possibility Redguard is a larger project, a spin-off game or stand-alone "expansion", which could warrant the team moving on to their next project, though it would be odd for the main team to make a spin-off game, i think. Most likely the main team's next project is Fallout 4

GhaleonEB

Wait. No more DLC? So Redguard trademark wasn't for Skyrim DLC, or if it was, it was cancelled?
I can't belive there's no more DLC for Skyrim, Fallout 3 had so much DLC. New Vegas (published by Bethesda) had 4 major DLCs and a couple of minor ones. Bethesda's earlier comments for Skyrim DLC seemed to indicate they intented to alternate beetween minor and major DLCs (Heartfire was one of those minor ones, as was Spacecore (PC only, free)).. well, true, they did that but i also expected there to be much more.

So, maybe the most likeliest explanation is that rest of DLC were cancelled? PS3 issues (and thus delays for PS3 DLC, and Dragonborn for PC), and next-gen being so close... (that said, shutting down DLC production due to next-gen is kinda odd, current-gen userbase is large and will last quite long).

Bethesda hasn't made TES mobiles for long time either so i think it unlikely Redguard was meant to be such.

Of course there is a (small) possibility Redguard is a larger project, a spin-off game or stand-alone "expansion", which could warrant the team moving on to their next project, though it would be odd for the main team to make a spin-off game, i think. Most likely the main team's next project is Fallout 4
I wonder about this as well. It's odd to announce now that the team is moving on to their next project. The art and design teams would have been free since November or so, since Dragonborn shipped in December. And at that time they said there was more to come this year. A lot of us took that to mean more DLC, but it was just the DLC hitting PS3 and the last (admittedly large) patch.

But most of their team must have been free to work on their next project since November-ish. So either they were working on something and decided not to finish it, or they waited four months into the year to make the announcement. Probably the latter, but the timing is still odd.

I hope Fallout 4 is for late fall 2014, give them a full three year development cycle, and ship a year after the new console platforms are out, so they're not juggling new hardware late into the cycle. I can't wait to see their world building on next gen systems.

Onikaan

I hope Fallout 4 is for late fall 2014, give them a full three year development cycle, and ship a year after the new console platforms are out, so they're not juggling new hardware late into the cycle. I can't wait to see their world building on next gen systems.

Test the new gear on Fallout so that you learn from all your mistakes for the next Elder Scrolls.

Heh.

moojito

Remember the new total conversion by the folk who made Nehrim is still on the way. That'll breathe brand new life into the game even if it's half as good.

I think Redguard might not have been DLC after all. Maybe it's something that'll take a while before we hear anything else about it.

Remember, the first time the Skyrim trademark leaked was 2008, I think.

GhaleonEB

I think Redguard might not have been DLC after all. Maybe it's something that'll take a while before we hear anything else about it.

Remember, the first time the Skyrim trademark leaked was 2008, I think.

Good point. I seem to remember an interview with Todd Howard from several years back where he said Bethesda has a small, core team that is always working on ES in some capacity, even during Fallout 3's production. Could be they mapped out where the next game was going to go, and have people working on the fiction/setting etc. while Fallout 4 rumbles along.

Seanspeed

Banned
Finally started on a new character. Old one I got about 150 hours in, never even finished the game. I've now got Dragonborn and Hearthfire downloaded for this one. Yay.

Amazing how much new stuff I'm still discovering. Even in Whiterun, which I thought I had scoured inch-to-inch before, I found some dungeons in the back behind the inn. Wasn't really anything particularly noteworthy to see, but it was just interesting that I hadn't found it before. I'm only about 10 hours in, but I've already stumbled upon quests I've never gotten before and new paths leading to places I hadn't seen.

I admit after Dark Souls, the first hour or so was a little jarring in terms of the controls, but I'm used to it again and enjoying it a lot. I'm still sticking primarily with archery as its the most fun combat-style, but instead of destruction as a secondary, I'm investing in one-handed melee. I'm also forgoing conjuration in favor of smithing, which is something I didn't really do much with before.

Woorloog

Banned
What did you folks think about Fallout 3?

Fun game despite various idiotic design things (some attributes were worthless, as were some skills etc., New Vegas fixed nearly everything), loved the atmosphere, BUT it wasn't a proper Fallout, it didn't really have the same feel as FO1/2. New Vegas is much closer to FO1/2 in style but it lacks the post-apocalyptic feel, at least it ain't nearly as good as in FO3.

Not really interested in Fallout 4, for i doubt Bethesda's story telling and writing too much. Wasn't very good in Skyrim. Good worldbuilders, atmospheric worlds, very flexible games from modding standpoint... and that's all.
Unfortunately i don't think there's anything they can add to Fallout anymore, other than more of same, and general goofyness.

Finally started on a new character. Old one I got about 150 hours in, never even finished the game. I've now got Dragonborn and Hearthfire downloaded for this one. Yay.

Amazing how much new stuff I'm still discovering. Even in Whiterun, which I thought I had scoured inch-to-inch before, I found some dungeons in the back behind the inn.

I'm also on my second character (150 hours total) and I had no idea about that dungeon, nice!

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm also on my second character (150 hours total) and I had no idea about that dungeon, nice!

I actually did find a purpose for the area - there's a little window where you can access the Evidence box and personal belonging's box in the jail area without the guards being able to see you. Nifty.

The first 20 hours or so of this game is really nice in that much more of what you find is useful, either to use yourself or just to sell or something. Money is tight and you have to make choices about what to buy. I wish it stayed like this for longer.

Re: Fallout 3 - I loved it. I really like the whole Bethesda open-world RPG formula and Fallout 3 was a great change of pace from Elder Scrolls. I thought that the interior areas and dungeons were much better designed than in Oblivion and maybe even Skyrim. They were more open-ended and unique and often had worthwhile loot. And the game just oozed character. Cant wait for Fallout 4.

GhaleonEB

What did you folks think about Fallout 3?

I liked that the quests were generally pretty meaty, and had multiple branching outcomes. There were far fewer than in Oblivion or Skyrim, but they felt more involved, with more opportunity for mischief. And there's really nothing like wandering out into the wastes with no idea what I'll find, with only a few landmarks on the horizon to guide me. Bethesda's gotten great at making worlds that just cry out to be explored.

It also had a wonderful retro-future vibe going on with it. The radio stations, the robots and cars, etc. just sold a really cool vision of the (nuked) future. I think my favorite detail was bringing some sheet music to someone so they could play on their violin, and then tuning into their radio station and hearing her play it while I explored the wastes. Wonderful touch.

Wow. None of my characters ever found that. :lol

Edit: done. Neat little extra, great detail that you can snag the chest from behind the grate.

I just tallied up the hours I spent on my eight characters. Oh. My. God.

Why don't i get the option to train from Amren in Whitrun? He's a one handed trainer is he not?

EDIT- Nevermind, i got my answer. I thought he was a master trainer. I'm level 66 in one handed.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm glad I picked up Hearthfire. I enjoy the 'home' aspects of these games.

Its also given me good reason to mine for resources and its useful for getting my smithing skill up without just spamming some cheap iron weapon or something. This probably wouldn't be as fun if I had been doing this with my existing higher-level character, but starting out, its been fun building it up as I get the money and materials to bling it out.

Kinda wish there was a way to take back a decision on the wings, though. I thought I was going to need the Alchemy Tower to get the table, but I could've gotten it without it. I'd have preferred the Library as you dont get any bookcases. My one gripe. Oh well.

Hoping someone can help me.

I bought Dawnguard and played through most of it. At some point I chose to become a vampire. At the end of the quest line I went back to the main dude to turn in the final quest and he was like "You're a vampire, get out!" so I tracked down the guy who could help me change back and he told me to do this list of steps that sounded really unfun and tedious. So I just stopped.

I've bought Dragonborn and never even played it because of this. All I need to do is get rid of vampirism, turn in the final quest for Dawnguard, and move on.

So can someone please tell me explicitly what is the simplest way to get rid of vampirism?

Slermy

I bought Dawnguard and played through most of it. At some point I chose to become a vampire. At the end of the quest line I went back to the main dude to turn in the final quest and he was like "You're a vampire, get out!" so I tracked down the guy who could help me change back and he told me to do this list of steps that sounded really unfun and tedious. So I just stopped.

I've bought Dragonborn and never even played it because of this. All I need to do is get rid of vampirism, turn in the final quest for Dawnguard, and move on.

So can someone please tell me explicitly what is the simplest way to get rid of vampirism?

How do you feel about becoming a werewolf? Running through the Companions quest line should cure it.

Seanspeed

Banned

I haven't done it but from what I've read, its not nearly as difficult as it was in Oblivion.

Two ways:

1) If you've become a werewolf with the Companions in the past, you can go back to Aela the Huntress and she can transform you back into a werewolf, getting rid of your vampirism. You can also go through the quest line if you haven't done it yet to become a werewolf, but you said you're looking for easy ways, so the normal way is much simpler:

2) Talk to an innkeeper(any) who will give you a quest to see Falion in Morthal. From there, he asks you to bring him a filled black soul gem. He sells a black soul gem already, so that part is done for you, you just need to fill it with a person's soul, which isn't too hard. Then he takes you to a nearby location and cures you. Pretty simple.

GhaleonEB

http://www.bethblog.com/2013/04/25/legendary-release/

Today we’re happy to announce plans to release the complete Skyrim collection with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® Legendary Edition.

Coming to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC on June 4th for $59.99 (European territories will see its release on June 7th), this package includes the most up-to-date version of the original game (employing the 1.9 title update),as well as the game’s three add-ons: Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragoborn.

skyrimtribox-1024x747.jpg

I'm still bummed there wasn't one last DLC.

ohhh man I still can't believe it. How dcan they not make Redguard?:mad: so upset. I don't even want or need a new Fallout.

These guys spend so long building these engines, tools and rulesets. why dont they spend more time working within their sandbox?

Seanspeed

Banned
ohhh man I still can't believe it. How dcan they not make Redguard?:mad: so upset. I don't even want or need a new Fallout.

These guys spend so long building these engines, tools and rulesets. why dont they spend more time working within their sandbox?
Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim all basically on the same engine seems like pretty good mileage if you ask me.

Man what a disappointing turnout for Skyrim DLC. I thought they would step their game up from Fallout 3, but they might actually have stepped their game down.

To be fair, Dragonborn is pretty great.

Ghost23

I really don't want to wait until Juner to buy Skyrim on PC. I might just buy vanilla with the Dragonborn DLC.

Anyway, I was just wondering how modding skyrim on my gaming laptop would do. Would it be too much for a laptop? My specs:

680m
i7 3630
16GB RAM

Looking at the mod thread, I feel as though playing Skyrim with mods might let me enjoy the game more than I did on the 360, but I really have no clue where to begin. Where can I learn the basics of the basics of Skyrim modding?

Thanks for the help!

Ok. So the two Redguards that came looking for the Redguard woman are still standing at the main gate in Whiterun. Ever since i did that quest at the beginning of the game they never leave. I have 130 hours in. lol.

moojito

Ok. So the two Redguards that came looking for the Redguard woman are still standing at the main gate in Whiterun. Ever since i did that quest at the beginning of the game they never leave. I have 130 hours in. lol.

Redguards are patient. Also, lazy. I'm sure they're sure you'll get round to it eventually.

GhaleonEB

What????? The quest is already done. It must be a glitch.
Must be, they go away after the quest normally.

Do you still run into the two redguards and the innocent woman they are harassing on the road? They were some of my favorite people to mess with. My favorite was cutting their throats one at a time while they just continued the conversation.

789shadow

Banned
Trying to become the Guildmaster of the Thieves Guild gets a bit annoying when those fuckers Delvin and Vex constantly give you jobs in cities you've already brought the influence of the Thieve's Guild back to, or worse, FUCKING RIFTEN.

Must be, they go away after the quest normally.

Do you still run into the two redguards and the innocent woman they are harassing on the road? They were some of my favorite people to mess with. My favorite was cutting their throats one at a time while they just continued the conversation.

Yeah i see them all the time. I never tried anything though.

I wonder if, besides the glitch, the reason why they're standing there is because i never ratted her out. So they're still looking. I killed that guy in the cave.

Do you like seeing the different outcomes of a quest? I do. I wanted to see what would happen if i helped the redguards. Seeing her get zapped frozen with was hilarious. I did feel a little bad though. Hehe.

Trying to become the Guildmaster of the Thieves Guild gets a bit annoying when those fuckers Delvin and Vex constantly give you jobs in cities you've already brought the influence of the Thieve's Guild back to, or worse, FUCKING RIFTEN.

That questline is busted on my end. they will never give me my rightful title.

Slermy

This was in the funny pics thread:

IpM7H3I.jpg

Mod
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34005

Just had to share. If i ever get PC Skyrim, this is the first mod i'll get.

EDIT also this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55648568&postcount=1205

That's great! Reminds me of my time with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time with my sister. We'd always try to grab chickens and take them as far as we could. I got fairly close to the final castle with a chicken, was disappointed I couldn't face Ganon with one at my side.

GhaleonEB

I remember being disappointed the first time I hit a rabbit with Frenzy; I was hoping it would turn out to be super powerful, Monty Python-style. I don't play on PC or know how to mod, but Deadly Rabbits would be the first one I'd make if I did.

The sight of a rabbit tearing apart a camp of Stormcloaks is just too good.

I remember being disappointed the first time I hit a rabbit with Frenzy; I was hoping it would turn out to be super powerful, Monty Python-style. I don't play on PC or know how to mod, but Deadly Rabbits would be the first one I'd make if I did.

The sight of a rabbit tearing apart a camp of Stormcloaks is just too good.

I think that's doable, actually. Though it'd require making an attack animation for rabbits, I suppose.

GhaleonEB

I think that's doable, actually. Though it'd require making an attack animation for rabbits, I suppose.

The rabbits do attack, they just kind of hop over and then hop at your ankles repeatedly. I'd probably be lazy and have them do massive damage, though some flying-at-your-face animations would be great.

Over the past few days I've been dreaming about next-gen RPGs. I'm getting pretty stoked for Fallout 4.

GenericUser

goddamn, smithing is almost impossible to bring to 100 after the patch! They went from too easy to way to hard!! I need iron ore, to create gold ore, to create gold rings but noone is selling this shit! I need proper gear to grind some levels and bethesda is making progression in each and every smithing level a crawl! goddamn!

789shadow

Banned
goddamn, smithing is almost impossible to bring to 100 after the patch! They went from too easy to way to hard!! I need iron ore, to create gold ore, to create gold rings but noone is selling this shit! I need proper gear to grind some levels and bethesda is making progression in each and every smithing level a crawl! goddamn!
Leather Bracers/Helmets.

I haven't been leveling up smithing yet. But i plan to train 5 levels every level to make it easier.

Top Bottom