• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

100+ hours in Skyrim and just only did the Whiterun quest Dragon Rising. Been to only 4 of the 9 major cities and 4 of the 7 settlements. Yep. I'll be playing this game for the rest of the year. Not to mention i'm also buying the DLC's. :)

Do any of you fast travel to get to where you're going? I don't. I walk everywhere.

Oh, the quest The Man Who Cried Wolf is crazy. When i walked into Wolfskull Cave i said "oh shit." lol. That quest made me want to read all the Wolf Queen books. I'm up to part 3.

Game is fumazing.

GhaleonEB

100+ hours in Skyrim and just only did the Whiterun quest Dragon Rising. Been to only 4 of the 9 major cities and 4 of the 7 settlements. Yep. I'll be playing this game for the rest of the year. Not to mention i'm also buying the DLC's. :)

Do any of you fast travel to get to where you're going? I don't. I walk everywhere.

Oh, the quest The Man Who Cried Wolf is crazy. When i walked into Wolfskull Cave i said "oh shit." lol. That quest made me want to read all the Wolf Queen books. up to part 3.

Game is fumazing.

I use the wagon system between major towns, and the one in my home with Hearthfire, primarily to do large diagonal trips across Skyrim (Riften to Solitude). But otherwise, I do the same - walk or ride a horse everywhere. I found just being out in the world was a big part of what I enjoyed in Skyrim. And that often, the most entertaining or just plain beautiful moments were emergent ones that occur while I walk around. So it was counter to why I play the game to fast travel. I know a few others around here played the same.

People who just plow through quests using fast travel miss out on a lot of what makes Skyrim so good, IMO.

I use the wagon system between major towns, and the one in my home with Hearthfire, primarily to do large diagonal trips across Skyrim (Riften to Solitude). But otherwise, I do the same - walk or ride a horse everywhere. I found just being out in the world was a big part of what I enjoyed in Skyrim. And that often, the most entertaining or just plain beautiful moments were emergent ones that occur while I walk around. So it was counter to why I play the game to fast travel. I know a few others around here played the same.

People who just plow through quests using fast travel miss out on a lot of what makes Skyrim so good, IMO.

This is exactly reason why i walk to different locations. :)......You experience so many things along the way. And the sounds and sights of the wind, birds, sun/moon, trees, dense vegetation, waterfall and lakes are simply mesmerising. The music tops everything off.

Woorloog

Banned
This is exactly reason why i walk to different locations. :)......You experience so many things along the way. And the sounds and sights of the wind, birds, sun/moon, trees, dense vegetation, waterfall and lakes are simply mesmerising. The music tops everything off.

Unfortunately the soundtrack should be 3 or 4 times the current length, i think i've heard all the tracks way too often. Also needs 10 to 60 second silent tracks, to break the music at times (lovely "mod" for Morrowind).
I give that to Skyrim that its soundtrack is thankfully longer than Oblivion's, or even worse, Morrowind's. And very good one at that.
Currently playing Morrowind again and i need more music. I'm considering of ripping the tracks from Skyrim OST and putting them to Morrowind's music folders.
Might as well take music from Oblivion while at it...

Unfortunately the soundtrack should be 3 or 4 times the current length, i think i've heard all the tracks way too often. Also needs 10 to 60 second silent tracks, to break the music at times (lovely "mod" for Morrowind).
I give that to Skyrim that its soundtrack is thankfully longer than Oblivion's, or even worse, Morrowind's. And very good one at that.
Currently playing Morrowind again and i need more music. I'm considering of ripping the tracks from Skyrim OST and putting them to Morrowind's music folders.

16 hours of music? I know Jeremy Soule is a god, but that might be asking for a bit much.

Woorloog

Banned
16 hours of music? I know Jeremy Soule is a god, but that might be asking for a bit much.

16 hours of music too much for a game you play 500+ hours?
It still isn't enough.

What software do i need to rip the music Skyrim's OST CD?

EDIT also, my current Morrowind set-up needs something more. I know i need some mod or mods but i'm not sure what. I know when i see it though.

EDIT no, wait, i don't need more mods, unless there's a nice boat home mod somewhere (Nexus didn't have, planetelderscrolls didn't have, best modlists didn't have so i doubt one exists).
What i need is a character idea. Well, skills. I know what i want. But i don't know how i want it.

Onikaan

There's a good 40 minutes of ambient music on the Skyrim OST which really helps kill the monotony. Probably one of my favourites. I'd love for that to return in future titles. (the idea, not that specific track).

Morrowind had a fantastic OST too, I never really got tired of that one. Infact, I have all 3 soundtracks on my iPod and they often my most played when taking the dog out or going for a cycle.

Love 'em.

GhaleonEB

Only music I've grown weary of is some of the battle tunes. I love the overworld and town scores, and the dragon combat, and still haven't gotten tired of them. The nice long breaks of silence while exploring outdoors are nice as well, really let you soak up the sounds in the world.

This new patch is a godsend imo. Had a run around with the legendary skills and it really reinvigorates the game from a fighting point of view. I was getting sick of having to force myself to use archery just to level up but now that ive legendaried my one handed skill and applied the perks to archery, its actually useful. And then i can relevel up one handed in the process (which doesnt take long mind you).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had trouble finding this thread due to Skyrim not being in the title anymore, lol.

I've gotten back into the game a few days ago and already logged in a good 30 hours again. I picked up Dragonborn and Hearthfire while on sale and was already midway into Dawnguard, finished that up and am in Solstheim now. I ended up ditching the vampire lord after leveling it, the negative effects are too much for me; need dat sunny weather travel.

Had trouble finding this thread due to Skyrim not being in the title anymore, lol.

I've gotten back into the game a few days ago and already logged in a good 30 hours again. I picked up Dragonborn and Hearthfire while on sale and was already midway into Dawnguard, finished that up and am in Solstheim now. I ended up ditching the vampire lord after leveling it, the negative effects are too much for me; need dat sunny weather travel.

Pretty much. It just sucks how none of the vampires at the castle will talk to you anymore once you become mortal. I still had some side quests to finish off with them.

Only music I've grown weary of is some of the battle tunes. I love the overworld and town scores, and the dragon combat, and still haven't gotten tired of them. The nice long breaks of silence while exploring outdoors are nice as well, really let you soak up the sounds in the world.

Same here. The only tracks on the soundtrack I consistently skip are the battle tunes, and one of the Dragon fight songs. The rest? Let'em play.

This new patch is a godsend imo. Had a run around with the legendary skills and it really reinvigorates the game from a fighting point of view. I was getting sick of having to force myself to use archery just to level up but now that ive legendaried my one handed skill and applied the perks to archery, its actually useful. And then i can relevel up one handed in the process (which doesnt take long mind you).

Your damage output also gets reset, doesn't it?

strafer

I just wanna say that a love the shit out of this game. Recently got my hands on Full Daedric, badass armor is badass.

And my lovely Serana has vanished. I kinda wanted her as a follower. I forgot to tell her to wait after I jumped on the dragon to fly to Miraak. And I have tried waiting for 48 hours but no show.

Can somebody explain this patch and the Legendary skills thing? I dont get it.

It works like the prestige ranks on cod. When you get to level 100, you can legendary your skill which adds a little dragonborn icon to that skill in the skill tree and resets it to level 15. Your perks also get reset which means you can reassign them to whatever you want. So in the end, it essentially removes the level cap the game has and means you dont need to restart the game with new characters if you want to try other skills etc.

I have a feeling that they are planning to add another new skill or more in the upcoming dlc we all know is coming. Hence their reason for introducing it (and also for prolonging the life of the game).

strafer

It works like the prestige ranks on cod. When you get to level 100, you can legendary your skill which adds a little dragonborn icon to that skill in the skill tree and resets it to level 15. Your perks also get reset which means you can reassign them to whatever you want. So in the end, it essentially removes the level cap the game has and means you dont need to restart the game with new characters if you want to try other skills etc.

I have a feeling that they are planning to add another new skill or more in the upcoming dlc we all know is coming. Hence their reason for introducing it (and also for prolonging the life of the game).

Could be.

http://www.ibtimes.com/skyrim-dlc-r...rd-zenimax-files-patent-downloadable-computer

I have to say, I'm not buying the Redguard rumors yet. The only thing we seem to have is that trademark, whereas other DLC's were all hinted at in patch files, as well. Maybe they're just planning a re-release of the Redguard game that came out ways back, who knows.

EDIT: Though I'll admit, I hadn't seen this very Skyrim-y logo yet. I have no idea if it's real, but I guess we'll have to find out soon. Dragonborn came out five months ago.

o42KGHe.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
I have to say, I'm not buying the Redguard rumors yet. The only thing we seem to have is that trademark, whereas other DLC's were all hinted at in patch files, as well. Maybe they're just planning a re-release of the Redguard game that came out ways back, who knows.

Or, you know, they've learned not to include DLC stuff in patch files. That is, if they didn't expect people to find out about DLC in patch files previously.
If they did it intentionally, to create hype... Then i don't know what's going on.

It might that Redguard, if real DLC, is so big it takes long before it is ready, much longer than other DLCs (similar size to Shivering Isles?). Maybe it will be revealed at E3? Dawnguard was released during E3, no?

I think they have a nice pace and thankfully sound so damn good. The game does have silent parts. There were a few times when no music was playing at all for a good couple minutes.

Impossible! The battle tunes are epic. This is my favorite one-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9eVYBO5rfY

I get so pumped when it plays.

Onikaan

It might that Redguard, if real DLC, is so big it takes long before it is ready, much longer than other DLCs (similar size to Shivering Isles?). Maybe it will be revealed at E3? Dawnguard was released during E3, no?

I like your thinking.

If indeed it is Redguard, then I'd like to think Hammerfell is going to be involved in some way. Sure, the province is far too big for one expansion but if we're going to get out of Skyrim for the last hurrah It would make sense that it would be on the same scale as The Shivering Isles.

But no more Daedra realms, Bethesda.

Please.

So the Shivering Isles were bigger than Dragonborn, then? How much content were they (I only ever saw The Shivering Isles played (seemingly extensively), but have never played myself).

So the Shivering Isles were bigger than Dragonborn, then? How much content were they (I only ever saw The Shivering Isles played (seemingly extensively), but have never played myself).

I think a price comparison would be the most apt in this case. Shivering Isles was $30, and (arguably) worth the price of admission. Dragonborn was $20, and again (arguably) worh it.

I think the world map of the Shivering Isles was twice as big as Solstheim in Dragonborn, give or take. Solstheim in Bloodmoon was, I think, even bigger.

Onikaan

I think a price comparison would be the most apt in this case. Shivering Isles was $30, and (arguably) worth the price of admission. Dragonborn was $20, and again (arguably) worh it.

I think the world map of the Shivering Isles was twice as big as Solstheim in Dragonborn, give or take. Solstheim in Bloodmoon was, I think, even bigger.

I thought this too. It certainly felt bigger.

I just noticed that the MOD scene is pretty cray for this game. You can find pretty much anything.

From the amazing to the down right weird.

GhaleonEB

I said some of the battle tunes for a reason. :p

I seem to hear this one and this one a lot. Not bad music, just hasn't been as enjoyable on a few hundred re-listens as other tracks are.

How does the amount of content compare to Bloodmoon? For a small-ish island, Solstheim in Skyrim is pretty dense with new content (quests, locations, dungeons, new gear, enemies, etc.). I never played Morrowind, but Skyrim feels more densely packed that Oblivion was, though I’m not sure whether actually is.

This is the best piece of score in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2uyWOlKGcM

Holy shit. I stayed in Sovngarde for live 3 hours just wandering and listening.

Pumps me the fuck up.

If we're comparing music, the best tune in game is, of course, without a doubt, Dragon Fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUAeh0jw1aw

The best tune on the OST, that for some reason does not appear in game, is Son(/Daughter) of the Nord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtSvoN6g4RY
^There used to be a better version of this one, but it seems to have disappeared from YouTube...

Woorloog

Banned
Shivering Isles (both the location and the expansion overall) was bigger than Morrowind's Solstheim/Bloodmoon. I can't speak for Dragonborn for i don't have it but the way i hear it, it isn't that large.
I doubt that Redguard will be any bigger than Shivering Isles, either in playable area or content overall, but considering how long they've been silent about next DLC, i think it will be big.
As for its location, i can think of a few possibilities: Stros M'Kai but considering that the island is smaller than Solstheim, it alone is unlike. Stros M'kai AND some area from Hammerfell is a possibility.
Alternatively, maybe some area of Hammerfell, blocked by natural obstacles, Thalmor border or something.
By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC was about Redguad versus Thalmor situation.
One possibility would be the Hammerfell/Skyrim border, though i'm not sure there any routes beetween Skyrim and Hammerfell there. Unclear maps.
What i'd like to see is Orsinium and area around it, the bay beetween Hammerfell and High Rock. Not sure how Redguard would fit that really, but... close enough :p

Onikaan

How does the amount of content compare to Bloodmoon? For a small-ish island, Solstheim in Skyrim is pretty dense with new content (quests, locations, dungeons, new gear, enemies, etc.). I never played Morrowind, but Skyrim feels more densely packed that Oblivion was, though I’m not sure whether actually is.

A few things to take into account before we compare them:

- There was no fast travel

- Draw distance (or fog) was significantly worse, meaning you couldn't see locations in the distance making the island feel bigger.

- No sprint! (This is redundant if you're character had a high speed level)

Sizing them up, in terms of content they are similar. Both introduced 4 new types of armour, and the amount of quests are almost the same, although quality and length would have a say there. One thing I can think of is the unraveling of the content. Raven Rock for example was actually built throughout your time on Solstheim, so there was that feeling of progress, slowly working form the ground up until you finally had a settlement. That could a contributing factor to the length of Bloodmoon. Also in DB they tucked the Skaal Village away in the side of a rise, Skaal in Bloodmoon was much more open and served more of a purpose. Rather disappointed as I walked in there for the first time in DB.

Perhaps Dragonborn's Solstheim is slightly condensed, but nothing I can definitely put my finger on.

Woorloog

Banned
About Dual Wielding: if i recall correctly, DW perks affect only the DW attack (both triggers/buttons at the same time), not invidual weapon swings?
Skyrim made me realized Dual Wielding isn't so fun as it sounds.
Gimme parrying dagger and a dueling sword/knife and i'll try give it another try...

Question about the new "legendary" thing. If you legendary a skill, do you keep all of the skills you unlocked or does it just give them to you to reassign? Also, does this mean you can theoretically have enough skill points to max out everything?

Race or features?

Dawnguard DLC allows for feature changes.

Race. The Redguards have bonuses that's basically the character i'm working on now. A perfect match. :/

Whatever.

The 1.9 update says-

"Companions will equip better weapons and armor if given to them"

So why does my companion, lydia, always equip a weaker wepon in her inventory? I gave her a ebony warhammer with a damage of 44 but she equips an ebony sword that has a damage of only 27. Samething with shields.

Race. The Redguards have bonuses that's basically the character i'm working on now. A perfect match. :/

Whatever.

The 1.9 update says-

"Companions will equip better weapons and armor if given to them"

So why does my companion, lydia, always equip a weaker wepon in her inventory? I gave her a ebony warhammer with a damage of 44 but she equips an ebony sword that has a damage of only 27. Samething with shields.
It's because Lydia's One-Handed is much higher than her Two-Handed, making the sword the better choice for her. NPCs have stats just like you do.
There's a reason it's not in the game. It's not on the OST. It's not even composed by Jeremy Soule.
wat
Are you sure about that? The first time I saw it the video title said it was in the OST... still a beautiful song, but...
That's kind of embarrassing...

Top Bottom