• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

GhaleonEB

So it goes by skill level and not damage amount?

As I understand it, it goes by damage amount. But the skill level affects the damage you inflict; someone with 25 in two-handed will deal far less damage than someone with 75 in the skill, when using the same weapon. The system should hopefully check not just the base weapon damage, but how much the NPC would use when using it, and pick the best weapon for them. But of course, you can't see that, so you may hand an NPC two weapons in different skill classes, and they will pick the one that does the most damage when they equip it - which might not be the same as the one with the most base weapon damage.

You can probably experiment by giving someone different quality weapons of the same class and see if they consistantly pick the better one.

I'm replaying the Thieves Guild, the first time since my first character a year ago, and it's better than I remember it being. I just had a confusing series of events, but the end was worth it.

Thieves Guild spoilers, halfway through.

My task was to break into
Mercer's house in Riften. I decided to go the diplomatic route (at least initially - I do love a good bait and switch), instead of brute force against the guard. So I offered to pay for Vald's debt, and fount the Quill of Whatever in the lake for Maven Black-Briar. I only needed to get to Vald now. So, I shot the ramp mechanism to lower the ramp. I didn't realize that would turn him hostile - though I probably should have.

He barrels out the door and I can't talk to him to let him know I've paid off his debts. I try to lose him, but he chases me into town. I chug a potion of invisibility, hoping to flank around him and enter the house. He lets out a yell of frustration when I disappear, and takes a swing at where I was last standing...only to whack the beggar Edda in the face instead.

I sit back, invisible, and watch Edda pull out a dagger and beat the shit out of
Vald
. The fight takes about 30 seconds and ends with him begging for mercy. Edda responds with an execution move, driving the dagger down into his neck.

So not only was
Vald
exposed as a pretty terrible guard, Edda emerged as this unexpectedly badass warrior with a dagger. I'm now wondering what her history is.

Not quite what I had planned, but it sure was entertaining. Either way, the house is no longer guarded.

I love this game.

Kind of old but I wanted to say... great little story. I lived the same exact thing as you, up until the moment
Vald
attacked. I exited the property and remained unarmed hoping he would let it go, but he wouldn't.

He just wouldn't.

*sobs*

Regarding archery, can anyone confirm if you need to wait for the entire "drawing" animation to finish for your attack to provide maximum damage?

Onikaan

Regarding archery, can anyone confirm if you need to wait for the entire "drawing" animation to finish for your attack to provide maximum damage?

Maybe someone knows the facts but I find that if you don't wait for the draw to finish your arrow will do less damage.

GhaleonEB

One of the loading splash screens indicates that you need to wait for the bow to be fully drawn to get maximum damage, so I've always assumed so.

The UESP confirms this.

Arrow damage is a sum total between the quality and material of the bow and arrows being used, as well as the bow's draw length. Better quality arrows contribute more damage to each shot, but most of the damage inflicted is determined by the bow being used. The longer a bow is drawn (up to one second), the farther the arrow will fly, and the more damage will be dealt. Inversely, arrows drawn briefly will fly only a few yards, dealing less damage. Drawn bows can be cancelled by pressing the 'Sheath Weapon' button.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Archery#Skill_Usage

Ok so... When i bought the Dragonborn DLC, good ol' Skyrim (360) thought it would be fun to delete my saves. I had a lvl 80, everything done, all that jazz... So I'm starting over but I just want to play the Dragonborn DLC and then get Skyrim for PC to start a new character.

The thing is, as a lvl 5 wood elf, this is impossible. Everything in this DLC destroys me except for the real easy stuff (skeletons, draugrs, etc.). Even on novice I'm getting mauled. :/ im not having a good time.

As I understand it, it goes by damage amount. But the skill level affects the damage you inflict; someone with 25 in two-handed will deal far less damage than someone with 75 in the skill, when using the same weapon. The system should hopefully check not just the base weapon damage, but how much the NPC would use when using it, and pick the best weapon for them. But of course, you can't see that, so you may hand an NPC two weapons in different skill classes, and they will pick the one that does the most damage when they equip it - which might not be the same as the one with the most base weapon damage.

You can probably experiment by giving someone different quality weapons of the same class and see if they consistantly pick the better one.

I think i get it now, thanks.

I was going nuts and calling lydia all sorts of names because she wasn't equipping the most powerful wepon. Picture that for a second.

One of the loading splash screens indicates that you need to wait for the bow to be fully drawn to get maximum damage, so I've always assumed so.

The UESP confirms this.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Archery#Skill_Usage

Thanks. Probably should have known that since I've clocked in almost a hundred hours into Skyrim, but I'm back from a long break and started over with a wood elf archer (he's also a murdering thief but we don't talk about that).

Onikaan

Ok so... When i bought the Dragonborn DLC, good ol' Skyrim (360) thought it would be fun to delete my saves. I had a lvl 80, everything done, all that jazz... So I'm starting over but I just want to play the Dragonborn DLC and then get Skyrim for PC to start a new character.

The thing is, as a lvl 5 wood elf, this is impossible. Everything in this DLC destroys me except for the real easy stuff (skeletons, draugrs, etc.). Even on novice I'm getting mauled. :/ im not having a good time.

Yeah, definitely content for a higher level character.

If you just want to play through the expansion you could turn the difficulty down? We won't tell anyone :p

Yeah, definitely content for a higher level character.

If you just want to play through the expansion you could turn the difficulty down? We won't tell anyone :p

He's already playing on Novice.

I honestly suggest you head back to Skyrim until you're at least level 20. Gather some shouts and other stuff you can use.

Stuart444

So I'll be going back to Skyrim (PS3) again after months of not playing it (not played since one of the earlier patches when Bethesda was trying to fix the PS3 issues) mainly because my fiancee wants me to play it since she's in a WRPG mood and I brought Skyrim up lol. Bought the DLC as well (all 3 of them).

Is there any current PS3 players here? How are you finding it (technically, bugs and all) and has any of the more recent patches added anything?

Also in regards to the DLC, when is the earliest I should try the Dawnguard/Dragonborn stuff?.

Looking oddly forward to it though, guess it's because of how long it's been since I touched Skyrim.

edit: Also I'm conflicted between what race I should play :/ Nord, Dunmer... or what, I don't know. I hate decisions like this :(

So I'll be going back to Skyrim (PS3) again after months of not playing it (not played since one of the earlier patches when Bethesda was trying to fix the PS3 issues) mainly because my fiancee wants me to play it since she's in a WRPG mood and I brought Skyrim up lol. Bought the DLC as well (all 3 of them).

Is there any current PS3 players here? How are you finding it (technically, bugs and all) and has any of the more recent patches added anything?

Also in regards to the DLC, when is the earliest I should try the Dawnguard/Dragonborn stuff?.

Looking oddly forward to it though, guess it's because of how long it's been since I touched Skyrim.

edit: Also I'm conflicted between what race I should play :/ Nord, Dunmer... or what, I don't know. I hate decisions like this :(

I started playing Skyrim on February 26. Everything has been smooth so far. But the recent 1.9 update has been causing some problems. I get stuttering sometimes during gameplay and the game freezes up randomly. This never happened before the update.

Everything else is perfectly fine.

Stuart444

I started playing Skyrim on February 26. Everything has been smooth so far. But the recent 1.9 update has been causing some problems. I get stuttering sometimes during gameplay and the game freezes up randomly. This never happened before the update.

Okay, just had a freeze right at the beginning of the game, fantastic!

edit: Fixed itself after about 30 - 60 seconds.

Dave1988

It's either the new patch or your save files has bloated to the point you'll start seeing the stutter and freezes for more regularly now.

Wow, just got the cyclone shout. I love using it on Rieklings and then zooming in with my bow and plucking them out of thin air in slow motion.

Started this on the PS3 for the first time a few weeks ago. Currently level 30 having just done exploring and a ton of ancilliary quests (only just got to the greybeards on main quest).

My main problem is that the game has crashed/froze at least half a dozen times since the patch. I have just hit 6MB+ so that could be it but I have literally had no problems before 1.9 and done just about everything to mitigate the enevitable PS3 chug (autosave off, clear cache, delete and re-install game data).

Do I really have to start a new save file or can I find a place to d/l the 1.8 patch?

GhaleonEB

Fuck the spiders in this game.

My phobia triples when I encounter those.

About a half dozen times, the really giant ones dropped down and landed on me, catching me unawares. On multiple occasions I was so startled I dropped the controller. Spiders and I do not get along well.

strafer

About a half dozen times, the really giant ones dropped down and landed on me, catching me unawares. On multiple occasions I was so startled I dropped the controller. Spiders and I do not get along well.

Just moments ago I went into a dungeon only to encounter Albino Spiders. Damn that sound they make.

Another weekend entirely consumed by Skyrim. Playing a thief is such a blast. Between slowing down time, 15x'ing fools from behind and grabbing anything I see fit, I don't think I'll be going back to my level 42 wizard anytime soon.

strafer

So I killed my first Giant today, I've been holding back because, well I've heard some stories.

Anyway, I killed it with three hits. Don't they level with you?

I'm Lvl 40 btw.

789shadow

Banned
So I killed my first Giant today, I've been holding back because, well I've heard some stories.

Anyway, I killed it with three hits. Don't they level with you?

I'm Lvl 40 btw.
No, I don't think they do. I can one shot them with a sneak attack via Dragonbone Bow and Arrows.

789shadow

Banned
I am so fucking SICK of fucking dragons and vampires killing NPC's. I can't do jack shit in cities at night because every fucking shopkeeper goes fucking Leeroy Jenkins and dies, and now the fucking dragons kill them in one fucking attack. God damn it Bethesda, I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS TO KILL NPC's DO YOU GET IT?

I hope not. I want a full development cycle devoted to creating the richest, most fleshed-out version of Elsweyr possible.

An Arena remake would mean the entire continent of Tamriel in one game, which means sacrifices would have to be made. Also revisiting Cyrodiil and Skyrim already... I do want that game at some point, but not yet.

Or, they could just be using the word "Arena" to denote a smaller, gladiator-oriented spin-off.

GhaleonEB

Are we getting an Arena remake?

Also, the Skyrim team has officially moved on to a new project.

I was surprised to read this. I was really hoping for one last expansion.

Even with what we got, I likely put more time into Skyrim than any previous game, ES or otherwise. Maybe it's just me being grabby, but I was really hoping for one more. Three seems a little light, even if they were relatively meaty.

Hopefully we get Fallout 4 their next project announced later this year; November will be 2 years since Skyrim.

I was surprised to read this. I was really hoping for one last expansion.

Even with what we got, I likely put more time into Skyrim than any previous game, ES or otherwise. Maybe it's just me being grabby, but I was really hoping for one more. Three seems a little light, even if they were relatively meaty.

Hopefully we get Fallout 4 their next project announced later this year; November will be 2 years since Skyrim.

How time flies.

Onikaan

Also, the Skyrim team has officially moved on to a new project.

Well you were right Blue Ninja, and Batman was wrong, my faith did not deserve to be rewarded. Apparently.

On the upside I got 1600 points to spend on something else.

I love Skyrim. It remains to be one of my favourite games, but I believe I've finally burnt myself out on it.

Looking forward to TES VI.

Is there a tangible benefit to buying the house in Solitude as opposed to the more modestly priced house in Riften? I mostly want to use it to store a few things (not a lot) and have a wife run a store to make cash.

So no more DLC? Just 2 major DLCs and that's it? This is a major bummer.. I'd at least expect 1 more major DLC and maybe a weapons/armor pack, but.. /sadface..

Nope, nothing.

The Arena thing has been debunked, too: Bethesda says it was an error on the Australian rating agency's part.

Top Bottom