• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Fjordson said:
It's looking more and more like there are issues when playing with the game installed. Really sucks.

Like I said earlier, hard to confirm before everyone has it on Friday, but this would be quite a massive troll if every one reporting this is making it up.
Whats the issue thats happening?

Wallach

Derrick01 said:
Only thing I saw was that textures were actually worse when installed to the 360 HD.

Yeah. Though from all the pictures I've seen it only seems to affect the textures on the player's character model.

Fjordson

~Kinggi~ said:
Whats the issue thats happening?
Something weird going on when you install the game on 360. Noticeably worse textures in a few spots. Supposedly not there when you just play off the disc. People are saying it isn't a huge deal, but it's there according to them. I didn't notice anything like this when watching various HD streams, but they were all people playing the leak so that might not mean much.

This is only the 360 version from what I've seen. No idea about the PS3 version.

GarthVaderUK said:
Welcome to the party, pal.

welcometothepartypal.jpg

:)

still on the fence, any chance this gets a drop at the christmas steam sales?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
NBtoaster said:
What pictures?
Installed to HDD

Not installed

Anyway, if this is legitimate and not fixed, I'll just deal with it. 360 disc drives are far too fragile not to install. Apparently the game still accesses the disc occasionally while playing (perhaps because of the new disc format), but it's better than all the time.

Mastperf

Derrick01 said:
It doesn't but the pictures were pretty clear. Only someone like Obsidian or Bethesda could figure out how to pull that bug off.
I really don't think we can completely blame Bethesda just yet. The os install is all Microsoft.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
vatstep said:
Installed to HDD

Not installed

Anyway, if this is legitimate and not fixed, I'll just deal with it. 360 disc drives are far too fragile not to install. Apparently the game still accesses the disc occasionally while playing (perhaps because of the new disc format), but it's better than all the time.

Not nearly a big enough deal for me to worry about, and hopefully it'll get patched anyway. Also I love how low-res the words "High Texture's" are.

ACE 1991

Zeliard said:
One of the main things people should probably go into Skyrim with are carefully measured expectations for the melee combat. If you're expecting anything much better than Oblivion (or Fallout 3) in that area you're bound for disappointment. Looks to be as loose and floaty as ever, and without a lot of the underlying math that Morrowind had.
That's a super big bummer for me. It's the one thing that I absolutely disliked in oblvion. Ah well, still looking forward to it.

I just don't understand how installing a game can make textures worse. I can understand the the longer load times in Halo, but blurred textures? I mean, Bethesda had to know a good portion of 360 gamers were going to install the game.

How legitimate are the "claims?"

bengraven

Emerson said:
Not nearly a big enough deal for me to worry about, and hopefully it'll get patched anyway. Also I love how low-res the words "High Texture's" are.

Did you notice the glove? Check out the glove, man, the glove.

Seriously would turn me off.

I cant believe i did what i just did. I canceled my skyrim preorder that has been on amazon for 6 months. I put 300+ hours into Oblivion, and here i am delaying getting the sequel. This day i would have never predicted.

I looked at my finances and i can only barely justify buying two games this month. Zelda (CD only comes in the first batch) and Saints Row (because of all the stupid fucking preorder shit that i can not deny I want, also co op) because the preorder gives me 10 bucks credit to get zelda cheaper. Skyrim would just eat away at every other game for weeks when i should be trying to find more work in between my game time. This post is me rationalizing delaying fun. To put words to my thoughts. God i hope i dont break. This would be SOOO much easier if Skyrim didnt come out first. Oh man.

/blog

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
bengraven said:
Did you notice the glove? Check out the glove, man, the glove.

Seriously would turn me off.

I noticed it because I was looking for something wrong. Over a dozen hours of gametime I might have noticed. But I'm going to be much more concerned with looking off at the scenery or what's going on. I'm not a nitpicky guy when it comes to graphics.

Tobor

I love Zelda, but my Wii is boxed up in the closet, and nothing gets between me and my Elder Scrolls. Easy call.

bengraven

Emerson said:
I noticed it because I was looking for something wrong. Over a dozen hours of gametime I might have noticed. But I'm going to be much more concerned with looking off at the scenery or what's going on. I'm not a nitpicky guy when it comes to graphics.

Honestly, neither am I. And nothing else has turned me off, I could even handle a few ugly textures on the sword.

The glove looks weird because not only does it look worse than any texture in Morrowind...on Xbox...but it seems to be missing polygons as well.

This isn't really my argument to make, though, since I'm getting the PC version, so I should probably stay out of it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
bengraven said:
Honestly, neither am I. And nothing else has turned me off, I could even handle a few ugly textures on the sword.

The glove looks weird because not only does it look worse than any texture in Morrowind...on Xbox...but it seems to be missing polygons as well.

This isn't really my argument to make, though, since I'm getting the PC version, so I should probably stay out of it.

Yeah, I mean it's clearly a glitch and not a real graphical issue, which is another reason it's not going to keep me up at night. I'm sure it will be fixed if it's a real glitch.

Das Boot said:
Interesting, I don't know why I always thought the dungeons were randomly generated lol. What you have explained makes more sense to me and I'm glad bethesda has more people assigned to crafting the dungeons because even though Oblivion used the same technique, it still FELT to me like they were randomly generated because they were so generic and boring to me lol.

The encounters and loot were pretty much randomly generated based on your level. The floor plans are all unique, not random like Daggerfall. I think Oscuro's mod showed that the basic layouts were good enough, although there weren't enough epic sized dungeons. The basic problem that made Oblivion boring, was that all the encounters had no risk or reward and the way it didn't matter which order you explored the dungoens, since the world scaled to you. The hand placed loot and enemies in Oscuro is my preferred take on a TES like gameworld.

Good to know Skyrim will have more variety in the artwork for the game's dungeons, but hopefully they also learned something from Oscuro, and made the content inside the dungeons more interesting.

Luthos

bengraven said:

Yea I'm not the biggest graphics whore (I think Skyrim looks amazing for an open world game).

But that texture install thing is clearly something messed up, and not what the game is intended to look like. And that would bug me. But I'm getting PS3 version, so hopefully there's no problem there.

KingK

Knux-Future said:
any word on the ps3 version?

One of the people here has been playing it on ps3 for a couple days and I think he said it froze once, but other than that it's been pretty good. Seems like it's about on par with the 360 version.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Dunno if this has been answered but I'm guessing alteration still has a spell for locks?

Speevy

Banned
This has probably been answered already, but I haven't checked around in a while.

Is there loot sitting around in places besides dungeons?

Derrick01

Banned
So can anyone who's played comment on the whole village economy stuff bethesda was bragging about a while back? Like can it be negatively/positively affected by over mining or a dragon attack, things like that, or is it as superficial as I thought it would be?

Wanace

I just got a half-day on Friday. Getting the game at midnight Australia time, going to work, heading home at 11:30 AM, picking up a few pizzas, and gaming straight through to Tuesday morning.

Looking so forward to this game! Hope nothing disappoints or stands in my way.

Echoplx

Pete Hines on Twitter 2 hours ago:

It's a go for preload, just isn't available yet. Pinged folks tonight to find out when it gets turned on.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Stuck my $20 deposit down today to secure the game with free 700 page Official Strategy guide and cloth map. Decided to go the PC route. Lord o Lordy I really hope the 360 pad works well with this game straight from install.

3chopl0x said:
Pete Hines on Twitter 2 hours ago:

It's a go for preload, just isn't available yet. Pinged folks tonight to find out when it gets turned on.

Cool, hopefully its ready to go soon. Thanks for the update.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I hope I get my D2D steam key as soon as it goes up for preload.

Is there any way to get a physical copy of the map without buying a physical game? Other than the strategy guide, of course. This will be my first Elder Scrolls without an awesome paper map :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
uuuuuuuggghhhHHHHHHHHH FUUUCCKKK I just bought it. Get the pre-load up so I can pla it at work while I run a Yu-Gi-Oh tournament Thursday D:

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Gen X said:
Stuck my $20 deposit down today to secure the game with free 700 page Official Strategy guide and cloth map. Decided to go the PC route. Lord o Lordy I really hope the 360 pad works well with this game straight from install.

The 360 pad world flawlessly for Fallout and Fallout New Vegas. I wouldn't worry about that.

What I would definitely be worried about is microstutter, though.

grkazan12

_tetsuo_ said:
uuuuuuuggghhhHHHHHHHHH FUUUCCKKK I just bought it. Get the pre-load up so I can pla it at work while I run a Yu-Gi-Oh tournament Thursday D:

Same here. Couldn't resist it after seeing that tweet, goodbye world.

Unicorn

FlyinJ said:
The 360 pad world flawlessly for Fallout and Fallout New Vegas. I wouldn't worry about that.

What I would definitely be worried about is microstutter, though.
Microstutter? What? Why?

bengraven

Emerson said:
Yeah, I mean it's clearly a glitch and not a real graphical issue, which is another reason it's not going to keep me up at night. I'm sure it will be fixed if it's a real glitch.

Nah, I know it will be fixed eventually. If I was getting the 360 version I would probably still not worry too much about it, because they've been better about patches this generation.

DangerStepp

FlyinJ said:
I hope I get my D2D steam key as soon as it goes up for preload.

Is there any way to get a physical copy of the map without buying a physical game? Other than the strategy guide, of course. This will be my first Elder Scrolls without an awesome paper map :(
A D2D Steam key? Arent those two different services? Also, I'm curious about the map, as well. I'm guessing there will be an accompanying PDF we can print? :( It will be ghetto but it's all we have.

Is there a preferred service anyone is getting it from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom