• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

DangerStepp said:
A D2D Steam key? Arent those two different services? Also, I'm curious about the map, as well. I'm guessing there will be an accompanying PDF we can print? :( It will be ghetto but it's all we have.

Steamworks, my man. No matter where you buy it you need to register the game onto Steam.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fjordson said:
Something weird going on when you install the game on 360. Noticeably worse textures in a few spots. Supposedly not there when you just play off the disc. People are saying it isn't a huge deal, but it's there according to them. I didn't notice anything like this when watching various HD streams, but they were all people playing the leak so that might not mean much.

This is only the 360 version from what I've seen. No idea about the PS3 version.
There was a post from another person in the same gamefaqs topic that said they uninstalled and had the improved textures and that their game never froze up. When it was installed, they said it was constantly locking up.

I don't see why someone like that would lie as it wouldn't be any sort of troll bait. This whole thing is so weird.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
3chopl0x said:
GAF appearing at a Bethesda event.. Just According to Keikaku

What's keikaku?

Your post needs subtitles for those of us who don't speak Japanese.

desertdroog

131156086286.jpg
aidan said:
What's keikaku?

Your post needs subtitles for those of us who don't speak Japanese.

Aptos

If I buy Skyrim via D2D will I receive just a steam code? Or do I have to download it via their service?

Echoplx

Big Ass Ramp said:
If you couldn't read it before, why would quoting make it readable?

I quoted for other people who can't read i.e you

Just found it funny that people were asking if it was Steamworks and were getting replies saying it wasn't when that post was just up the page.

Aptos

3chopl0x said:
Steamworks, my man. No matter where you buy it you need to register the game onto Steam.

Does "register" mean D2D will simply email me a Steam code? Or will I have to download and install the game via D2D and then do something to "register" it?

Echoplx

Aptos said:
Does "register" mean D2D will simply email me a Steam code? Or will I have to download and install the game via D2D and then do something to "register" it?

The key will either be emailed or be on your account page, downloading is through Steam.

Eusis

Aptos said:
You could do either actually, either downloading an installer that is basically like restoring from backup to Steam, or just put in the code and download it there. At least, that's been my experience with games for Steam I bought through third parties like D2D and GamersGate.

Aptos

Eusis said:
You could do either actually, either downloading an installer that is basically like restoring from backup to Steam, or just put in the code and download it there. At least, that's been my experience with games for Steam I bought through third parties like D2D and GamersGate.

That's awesome! Why would anyone getting this game on PC not buy it via D2D?

Eusis

Aptos said:
That's awesome! Why would anyone getting this game on PC not buy it via D2D?
Stupidly nice paper maps?

Seriously, I'm waiting to hear if Fry's has this on sale, otherwise I may just get it via D2D.

GhaleonEB said:
She's 9. I tried to get her into Oblivion three years ago, but despite her reading skills being up to it (she's in 4th grade, reading at the 12th grade level), the complexity of the game was too much for her. I suggested she go back to it this year and she's spent the better part of the past four months playing, so we've been hyping each other up for Skyrim.

It's been fun watching her go through Oblivion, exposing all the highs and lows along the way. When making a character, she asks why everyone looks like they were "carved from a potato". She's really annoyed that if she's caught stealing vegetables from the basement of a house, everyone in the universe instantly knows and is after her. I've been updating her on how those things are fixed in Skyrim, so she's sharing my excitement for it.

She plays the game in such a different way than I do, it's been fascinating to see how our play styles are reflections of our personalities. For both of us, Oblivion was our first open-world RPG. I didn't touch the main quest for a good 40 hours or so, because I love dungeons and exploring and just went wild with it. Her, she also didn't touch the main quest, but she doesn't like dungeons - the music freaks her out and she finds the closed quarters unpleasant; she prefers the open.

To make money she's a thief, raiding every damn house in the world. She cases shops and houses by day, and then re-visits the ones with stuff she wants at night to loot them. She's an alchemist, archer and thief, who largely avoids combat and just creates mischief. She's only done a few quests, but she's poured well over 60 hours into the game and loves it.

We've agreed to set off in opposite directions in our respective games on Friday, and see how different our own experiences are. It'll be the first game we really play together like that. It's going to be a lot of fun. :D
Ghaleon is the best dad ever, confirmed. 9 and reading at a 12th grade level? I bow to your parenting skills, good sir.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Eusis said:

Oh it will actually use the file you download from D2D and convert it to Steam? How do you do this? When I downloaded Rage from D2D, it downloaded like 16 gigs. I went to install it, and the installer loaded up Steam and then proceeded to re-download the entire 16 gigs again.

I get massive rates off of D2D (4MB/S), so I'd much rather download all the data from there and intergrate it Steam if that's possible...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I normally do not buy guides for games, but massive mega guide is massive. I'm actually considering heading to GameStop to preorder for the guide discount like someone else did a few posts back. Worth it for the sake of being an awesome guide?

Eusis

D2D can be WAY ahead... if you have a Prime membership. I know they had a free trial awhile back, but either it's unadvertised or it's gone now.

FlyinJ said:
Oh it will actually use the file you download from D2D and convert it to Steam? How do you do this? When I downloaded Rage from D2D, it downloaded like 16 gigs. I went to install it, and the installer loaded up Steam and then proceeded to re-download the entire 16 gigs again.
If you entered the key beforehand it may've started downloading, and you could only get it to actually INSTALL rather than redownload by clearing out the data on Steam then running the installer again. This worked for me with Magicka... only for there to be enough updates that basically half the game was redownloaded anyway.

eiskaltnz

Since we are talking about prices, gametap-shop has it for $53.99 and it is available for any region to buy it (Australia and New Zealand).

Rokk

Neo Member
eiskaltnz said:
Since we are talking about prices, gametap-shop has it for $53.99 and it is available for any region to buy it (Australia and New Zealand).

Can you buy it there and then activate the key on steam? I'm in NZ and 89.99 USD is rough.

Edit: oh durr it's steamworks. Yay :D!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
GhaleonEB said:
She's 9. I tried to get her into Oblivion three years ago, but despite her reading skills being up to it (she's in 4th grade, reading at the 12th grade level), the complexity of the game was too much for her. I suggested she go back to it this year and she's spent the better part of the past four months playing, so we've been hyping each other up for Skyrim.

It's been fun watching her go through Oblivion, exposing all the highs and lows along the way. When making a character, she asks why everyone looks like they were "carved from a potato". She's really annoyed that if she's caught stealing vegetables from the basement of a house, everyone in the universe instantly knows and is after her. I've been updating her on how those things are fixed in Skyrim, so she's sharing my excitement for it.

She plays the game in such a different way than I do, it's been fascinating to see how our play styles are reflections of our personalities. For both of us, Oblivion was our first open-world RPG. I didn't touch the main quest for a good 40 hours or so, because I love dungeons and exploring and just went wild with it. Her, she also didn't touch the main quest, but she doesn't like dungeons - the music freaks her out and she finds the closed quarters unpleasant; she prefers the open.

To make money she's a thief, raiding every damn house in the world. She cases shops and houses by day, and then re-visits the ones with stuff she wants at night to loot them. She's an alchemist, archer and thief, who largely avoids combat and just creates mischief. She's only done a few quests, but she's poured well over 60 hours into the game and loves it.

We've agreed to set off in opposite directions in our respective games on Friday, and see how different our own experiences are. It'll be the first game we really play together like that. It's going to be a lot of fun. :D

I went all warm and mushy reading that. I'm not a father, sadly, but I have all the time in the world for my friends kids and have developed some great relationships with them all. Reading about your post about your bond with your daughter makes me realise what I am missing.

The answer is SKYRIM!

;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
dragonelite said:
Dam now in perspective oblivion was kinda ugly looking game compared to the more realistic designs and models of skyrim.
I've been playing through a little of the beginning of Vanilla Oblivion in preparation and... it really does not hold up well. The two things that really jump out are the character and monster meshes... they appear to have been massively upgraded for Skyrim. :D

Gen X said:
Stuck my $20 deposit down today to secure the game with free 700 page Official Strategy guide and cloth map. Decided to go the PC route. Lord o Lordy I really hope the 360 pad works well with this game straight from install.
Free 700 page where?!!!!

Mastperf

callmedave said:
Is this new? Another comparison of HDD textures, and this time, with USB:

http://i.imgur.com/X6ZXK.jpg
Have any of these folks having problems tried clearing their hdd cache? It could be some kind of conflict. Have they said if they tried deleting and reinstalling it? I had to reinstall Oblivion a couple of times to stop it from locking up when I would fast travel to a certain spot.

GhaleonEB

TacticalFox88 said:
Ghaleon is the best dad ever, confirmed. 9 and reading at a 12th grade level? I bow to your parenting skills, good sir.
I wish it was my parenting skills. :lol

My daughter is scary-smart, and while I'll take some credit as the source of 1/2 of her genes, it's all her. Natalie soaks up information like a sponge. She knew the alphabet at 15 months, was sight reading at age 2, was sleeping with a dictionary under her pillow at age 5, reading almanacks and encyclopedias at age 6 and full sized novels at age 7. She plows through around 500 pages a week, easy, and tests in the top 0.1% for reading in the state for kids her age.

Yes, this is a parental brag post. :p I wish I could take credit, but a big part of parenting is just stepping back and watching the kid go, and trying to nudge her in directions she seems to want to go in.

Me, I love that I have such a fluent gamer at such a young age.

Cyntec

dragonelite said:
Dam now in perspective oblivion was kinda ugly looking game compared to the more realistic designs and models of skyrim.

yeah, so true. The makers could have used Quarl's high-res textures pack at least. ^^

MMaRsu

Goddamnit I'm not supposed to be spending ANY money right now, yet I have a mind to pick this up in an hour lol.. ( ps3). I wouldnt be able to play this much when Assassins Creed comes out, because my roommate will want to use the Ps3. Although after he's cleared the story I should be good with Skyrim again. Still have Dark Souls to finish, but on the 20th I'm getting 60 euro's each month...so yeaaaa

Dont talk me into it GAF with your sweet impressions and good review scores/pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom