• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo

Few new screens from Watch Impress.
sk06.jpg

sk08.jpg

sk14.jpg

sk11.jpg

GarthVaderUK said:
I think it's been 150 for a while now. Also nice to know they had a team of 8 people designing dungeons this time instead of 1 (Oblivion).

Does this mean ALL dungeons are unique? That's impressive, if so.

Khezu

What I remember hearing was that the one dude who did the dungeons for oblivion was like the world art director or something. This time they realized that was a bad idea and are now using actual level designers.

Can't say anything about the quality of all of them, or if they repeat, but the few dungeons I have seen are leagues ahead of anything in oblivion.

Derrick01

Banned
Piercedveil said:

Well from the player impressions we've had it seems like they ran into a few similar looking ones but most had been pretty unique with lots of different loot. I think even with them using 8 people now that having 150 completely unique and deep dungeons is a little unreasonable, but who knows maybe they did it.

cripterion said:
Slightly off topic but as a pc gamer mostly (I own a ps3 and an xbox360, just enjoy playing on the pc better) I have to go on a rant here and say steam is the worse thing to ever happened to pc imo.

There was a time when people could import a game, just get the CD/DVD, install, and be done with it but now with steam you basically have to wait until the release date, no matter if the game is sp or mp.

I found out that Skyrim unlocks in a month and a day for me (I'm in Japan), and Modern Warfare 3 is not even showing up on the store...

I was hyped as hell for this and even refrained from watching some streams cause I knew the release date was approaching (or thought I knew) but damn this is just sad :/

Bolded Translation: "There was a time when people could [steal] a game, just get the CD/DVD, install, and be done with it..."

Steam is like the greatest thing to happen to PC gaming, IMO.

MrBig

Piercedveil said:
The dungeons, like just about everything else in the game, are made from modular assets. And like Oblivion each one is unique in layout. Skyrim, unlike oblivion though, uses multiple sets of assets/themes to differentiate them to some degree.
The Albatross said:
Bolded Translation: "There was a time when people could [steal] a game, just get the CD/DVD, install, and be done with it..."

The only thing Steam has done is make PC pirates wait until release day for Steam exclusive games. The only people the DMR hurts in any way, shape, or form is the users who actually pay for products. Not a discussion worth talking about, especially not here.

Razorskin

----- ------
The Albatross said:

People always find a way, Now people buy CD Keys in other regions for less than half the cost normally.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Das Boot said:
They were unique in the sense that they were randomly generated by the game I believe.

I could be wrong though.
No, when they say unique they mean some designer took graphic assets from 1 of 8 tilesets and made a unique dungeon out of it. They did the same for Skyrim here. Its not like each dungeon is going to have a different look to it artistically. It means their layout and design is hand placed. Oblivion was same way. No randomization.

bengraven

Finally decided:

I'm going Nord as my first character because I always place the title race when I start (played a Dunmer in Morrowind and Imperial in Oblivion). I used to do that because I wanted the most prevelant race so I could get a speech bonus when playing, but later it just became a tradition.

So a Nord fighter thief, more warrior than thief this time.

Second will be a dunmer female thief with a bit of magic, because I miss my dark elves.

If I play again, I'll be an Argonian, straight up.

~Kinggi~ said:
No, when they say unique they mean some designer took graphic assets from 1 of 8 tilesets and made a unique dungeon out of it. They did the same for Skyrim here. Its not like each dungeon is going to have a different look to it artistically. It means their layout and design is hand placed. Oblivion was same way. No randomization.

I'm interested in seeing Skyrim's dungeons now. This game is going to take up so many hours of my life..

Xdrive05

bengraven said:
Finally decided:

I'm going Nord as my first character because I always place the title race when I start (played a Dunmer in Morrowind and Imperial in Oblivion). I used to do that because I wanted the most prevelant race so I could get a speech bonus when playing, but later it just became a tradition.

Second will be a dunmer female thief with a bit of magic, because I miss my dark elves.

Leaning toward the same myself, but I really want the magic bonus too... was hoping to do a sort of spell-sword getup the first go around. But I love me some sneak-thieving too. Decisions...

Complistic

Das Boot said:
They were unique in the sense that they were randomly generated by the game I believe.

I could be wrong though.

They weren't randomly generated. They were however made with parts that all snap to together so you could create them very quickly and with reusing assets.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
The rocks on that last screen with the skeleton are getting dangerously close to the DA2 thread. =p

DangerStepp

bengraven said:
Finally decided:

I'm shedding my old habit, as well. Every RPG I've ever played I have been a sneak/ranged archer class but I've gotten so tired of it. I think I'm going to go full warrior ogre this time around and really mix it up.

Karak

After watching a walkthrough of the opening dungeon my excitement went from 10 to 100.

That was insane. It wasn't just that it was different, it was verticality, it was a mix of types from stone to cave to outdoors. It was the underground glittering river flowing to a pool, the various crags and surfaces, small traces of old paths, dead ends where they should be in natural formations.

That was seriously the coolest short dungeon I have ever seen in a game bar none.

That turned even the modded dungeons of Oblivion on its head.

Das Boot

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:

Interesting, I don't know why I always thought the dungeons were randomly generated lol. What you have explained makes more sense to me and I'm glad bethesda has more people assigned to crafting the dungeons because even though Oblivion used the same technique, it still FELT to me like they were randomly generated because they were so generic and boring to me lol.

sp3000

The music in this game reminds of Total Annihilation, which is still Seole's best work. The ambient tracks are great.

bengraven said:
Finally decided:

Nord Warrior for me. Not sure if I want to go with light or heavy armor. Probably heavy this time around.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The Albatross said:

I will admit, there was a time when I was a steam naysayer. I didn't like the idea. Today, when a game is NOT released on steam I get disgruntled. I have a few Stardock games and I hate having to use that Stardock steam imitator software to install their stuff. I wish Galactic Civilization II was just on Steam like every other game!

Yeah, now I wish everyone would just use Steam so we had one unified method of digital distribution...

Where is my Skyrim preload? I HATE STEAM!!! :)

~Kinggi~

Banned
15 minutes into the 82 minutes. Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Expect high scores all around. Amazing what some quality diverse voicework, and a completely revamped menu system does for this game. I mean, seeing your spells actually glow and look different suddenly gives value to them. Whereas past games they were just a menu listing that seemed boring.

Wallach

I'm going to stick with my original plan to run with a Breton conjurer. Looking through some of the perk trees, I can't really help myself. I don't want to have to split my perks up between stealth and magic in the early game.

MrBig said:
The only thing Steam has done is make PC pirates wait until release day for Steam exclusive games. The only people the DMR hurts in any way, shape, or form is the users who actually pay for products. Not a discussion worth talking about, especially not here.

Weapon bloom is lame and all, but it's perfectly possible to hurt people with the DMR.
amused with myself, yes I am

Oblivionmancer said:
Weapon bloom is lame and all, but it's perfectly possible to hurt people with the DMR.
amused with myself, yes I am

Thought I'd clicked on the wrong subscription link for a minute there, lol.

Mastperf

Any 360 version owners on here done the comparison of installed vs not installed? If the problem does exist, I'm not sure if Bethesda can fix it since the install process is out of their hands.

Esch

Banned
-GOUKI- said:
does it look like mouse controls?
Nope. I see a telltale gamepad A when he's doing stuff. I've seen HD footage running at what looks like higher frames and this just doesnt look the same.

EDIT: This is console footage too. 720p console footage though, and he killed a giant which is bad ass.

Clevinger

EschatonDX said:
I wouldn't be that hyped. The player claims its pc footage connected to a tv... The assets just dont seem good enough.

It's bullshit. The PC version hasn't leaked, and he doesn't sound like a reviewer.

EschatonDX said:
Nope. I see a telltale gamepad A when he's doing stuff. I've seen HD footage running at what looks like higher frames and this just doesnt look the same.
Probably did it to try and curb people from trying to find out his gamertag and reporting him.

Echoplx

TheNiX said:
Probably did it to try and curb people from trying to find out his gamertag and reporting him.

It's Steamworks, even if he got a PC copy early he couldn't play it until Steam unlocks it.

So yeah, bullshit.

Fjordson

Mastperf said:
Any 360 version owners on here done the comparison of installed vs not installed? If the problem does exist, I'm not sure if Bethesda can fix it since the install process is out of their hands.
It's looking more and more like there are issues when playing with the game installed. Really sucks.

Like I said earlier, hard to confirm before everyone has it on Friday, but this would be quite a massive troll if every one reporting this is making it up.

Leunam

Damn, do I take the plunge and buy the PS3 version, or do I upgrade my inadequate power supply and graphics card so I can get the PC version. :(

If I double dip no one has to know! D:

Mastperf

I guess my first playthrough will be off the dvd then. Oh well, that's how I played Oblivion so it's a tradition now I guess.

Leunam said:
Damn, do I take the plunge and buy the PS3 version, or do I upgrade my inadequate power supply and graphics card so I can get the PC version. :(

If I double dip no one has to know! D:

PC version man always the pc version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom