• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interfectum said:
That's hard to go by though as they don't even list steam cloud / steam achievements on the skyrim page.
Well, Steamworks doesn't always mean cloud saves or achievements. I find it odd that such a large release doesn't have their Steam store page updated 3 days before release.

If it's still Games for Windows branded then it has to support it as part of the branding. Otherwise, no guarantee.

We won't know until Friday, which is stupid. This should be common knowledge by now.

Woorloog

Banned
Inferno313 said:
Elder Scrolls newb getting Skyrim here,

So looking at that chart if I want to go with some kind of Combat/Magic character I'd go with RedGuard or Imperial?
Those are merely starting bonuses, by the end game, they are completly meaningless.
You can see the racials here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races
My advice: choose the race whose looks you like the most or whose racial abilities you like the most and then play as you wish.

Antagon

Got to decide on skills now. Thinking about going a sort of assassin route, but with magic replacing stealth (ie using magic skills to keep yourself hidden, open doors, take control over enemies, etc). Wonder how feasible this is.

Echoplx

Interfectum said:
That's hard to go by though as they don't even list steam cloud / steam achievements on the skyrim page.

Yeah, it will have gamepad support. Store pages don't get updated till release for some reason.

Nalsh

Judging from the racial abilities, it sounds to me like Redguard is going to be best for combat mage. Probably what I'll play.

But I'm a bit of a TES noob

Woorloog

Banned
Antagon said:
Got to decide on skills now. Thinking about going a sort of assassin route, but with magic replacing stealth (ie using magic skills to keep yourself hidden, open doors, take control over enemies, etc). Wonder how feasible this is.
You would rely heavily on Illusion but you probably need a bit of stealth still. No need to spend perks on Sneaking though, if you're careful. However, you need either long lasting spells or Silent Casting ASAP, chameleon/invisibility wearing off wouldn't be nice...

garath

Derrick01 said:
Hmm Bosmer or Khajit might be more what I'm looking for since they have combat bonuses too instead of magic. But I do like the other argonian skills like water breathing.

I'm struggling with race too.

I'm leaning toward Khajit for my stealth based assassin build but I like the argonian water breathing more than Khajit's racial abilities (especially if I'm going to
turn into a vampire who also gets 60 seconds of night vision
)

Tough tough choice.

Antagon

Woorloog said:
You would rely heavily on Illusion but you probably need a bit of stealth still. No need to spend perks on Sneaking though, if you're careful. However, you need either long lasting spells or Silent Casting ASAP, chameleon/invisibility wearing off wouldn't be nice...

Yeah. Might actually go with a wood elf if I go that route, I'd be pretty weak in direct combat and being able to control animals might be a great bonus.

On the other hand, higher illusion and magica regeneration from the altmer is great as well.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
On the flip side, I think Oblivion's combat not feeling very different just reinforced for me how pointless the stats that drove (particularly to-hit function in melee) combat in Morrowind were. They needed to move forward and start making more functional changes to how combat actually controlled and flowed to make strides in that regard. I think we're only seeing small steps towards that in Skyrim, though.

There's definitely a lot of other math changes between Morrowind and the sequel that did actually matter, and I agree that on a functional level overall that is where the game broke down. I just don't think combat is one I would move to include in that judgment.

I don't disagree. Though when I bring up the differences in combat, it's not so much that I think Morrowind's combat was that great - it really wasn't - but rather that Oblivion ended up a highly unsatisfying and ineffective attempt to make it more action-based.

The way I see it is, fine, you're going to remove some of the underlying math to make it more responsive as a real-time combat model, but why keep almost everything else the same? It isn't just a 100% chance to-hit rate that makes your combat feel like an action game.

Woorloog

Banned
Nord magic knight errant will be my character.
Waraxes and shields, armor, magic for ranged attacks and debuffs, Shouts to buff myself, no stealing, honorable type but not a speaker.

BTW, does armor cause penalties to magic like in Oblivion? Spell Effectiveness penalty was a bitch, one reason i never played Mage in that game.

PONGSTAR

Banned
I was going to go as a Nord but after looking at the chart, I think I will go as an Imperial. Magic looks like a lot of fun in this game and I still want to be able to hack and slash. Imperial seems like a good race for both.

zlatko

Banned
Does anyone know what class/es can wear the awesome armor shown in the voice acting/sound video that Bethesda put out at the bar or inn scene? There's two guys in black/white armor sitting and chatting.

I was thinking of playing whatever can use that armor. :p

PONGSTAR

Banned
Woorloog said:
Those are merely starting bonuses, by the end game, they are completly meaningless.
You can see the racials here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races
My advice: choose the race whose looks you like the most or whose racial abilities you like the most and then play as you wish.
Thanks - that helps a lot! After seeing the chart I was planning on changing from Nord to Imperial but now I will stick with Nord.

zlatko said:
Does anyone know what class/es can wear the awesome armor shown in the voice acting/sound video that Bethesda put out at the bar or inn scene? There's two guys in black/white armor sitting and chatting.

I was thinking of playing whatever can use that armor. :p

Any class can wear any armor, if it is like previous games.

coopolon

TheNiX said:
Well, Steamworks doesn't always mean cloud saves or achievements. I find it odd that such a large release doesn't have their Steam store page updated 3 days before release.

If it's still Games for Windows branded then it has to support it as part of the branding. Otherwise, no guarantee.

We won't know until Friday, which is stupid. This should be common knowledge by now.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas both had perfect gamepad support (including button icons). It would be very odd for them to abandon that now.

It is also not true that a title has to have gamepad support if it is a GFWL title. Bioshock 2 for example does not. So if Bethesda didn't want to, they didn't have to with Fallout 3. It's just that if you support any kind of gamepad, you have to also support the xbox gamepad if you are GFWL.

I really need to stop reading this thread. I know something is going to get spoiled eventually. I am kind of itching to make a new Oblivion modded install though, which would be a bad idea with Skyrim only three days away.

Echoplx

DangerStepp said:
Why do you say that? Do you know something we don't? Don't play around with my heart.

Not really. Steam always does their daily updates at 10AM Pacific time (2 hours away) so that would be the most logical time for it to go live. Plus it's 2 days before release so it would fit with their previous pre-load times.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
I don't disagree. Though when I bring up the differences in combat, it's not so much that I think Morrowind's combat was that great - it really wasn't - but rather that Oblivion sort of ended up a highly unsatisfying and ineffective attempt to make it more action-based.

The way I see it is, fine, you're going to remove some of the underlying math to make it more responsive as a real-time combat model, but why keeping almost everything else the same? It isn't just a 100% chance to-hit rate that makes your combat feel like an action game.

Yeah, I think we are on the same page. It's not so much that the stats were there in Morrowind, it's that they felt like they were there for the wrong reasons. As if to excuse the way combat worked; it was like having the responsibility of pooping without being given the satisfaction of eating. So when we got to Oblivion it was like... well, they're gone now and I can actually engage in melee intuitively. Now we need to address the topic engaging combat altogether. At the least, though, I think it is indicative of the right direction; better for us were they headed along that path more quickly.

All that said, I am primarily a spell chucker so just give me atronachs to summon and we're going to be just fine.

Clevinger

bengraven said:
Oh god!

- the throne of the Stormcloak Jarl!
- the marketplace (with bonus blonde chick from the first screenshots!)
- Khajit has words for you!
- dat Cockney accent!
- dat Dark Brotherhood lair!
- dat Max Von Syndow in his ninja mage cloak!

Actually, that's Christopher Plummer. Sydnow is the old dude in a white tunic near the end.

DangerStepp

3chopl0x said:
Not really. Steam always does their daily updates at 10AM Pacific time (2 hours away) so that would be the most logical time for it to go live. Plus it's 2 days before release so it would fit with their previous pre-load times.
All right, cool. This is actually the first game I've looked forward to pre-loading to play by midnight so I wasn't familiar.

Wait, two days? Don't you mean 2 days and a big chunk of hours or are you being positive? :D

Derrick01

Banned
garath said:
I'm struggling with race too.

I'm leaning toward Khajit for my stealth based assassin build but I like the argonian water breathing more than Khajit's racial abilities (especially if I'm going to
turn into a vampire who also gets 60 seconds of night vision
)

Tough tough choice.

Yeah I guess it comes down to the secondary skills and personal preference. I think Argonians specialize in daggers and Khajits get Archery bonus and it comes down to whether you like night vision or water breathing and how frequently you can use both.

Echoplx

DangerStepp said:
All right, cool. This is actually the first game I've looked forward to pre-loading to play by midnight so I wasn't familiar.

Wait, two days? Don't you mean 2 days and a big chunk of hours or are you being positive? :D

Here in Australia it's just under 2 days.

iby1TD5sxCtxvG.png

kingmozo9 said:
i would of thought an orc would be the better option

Yea I was thinking this but man I just hate playing as a beast type in these games.

Edit: Well after reading the the Orcs description I see they are Eleven, maybe ill go with that race.

ironcreed

Banned
Brandon F said:
Give me the app, save a forest.

I'll take it all, fuck the trees. Seriously, I just love having something physical and it is obvious that a ton of work and detail went into it. Just like a ton of detail went into the game itself. I never buy guides, but feel it is very much warranted with this giant of a game.

bengraven

Clevinger said:
Actually, that's Christopher Plummer. Sydnow is the old dude in a white tunic near the end.

You might be right, though it sounds a lot like Syndow. I'll have to rewatch it - I actually didn't get to see the last 40 seconds.

Sysgen

dreamer3kx said:
Yea I was thinking this but man I just hate playing as a beast type in these games.

Edit: Well after reading the the Orcs description I see they are Eleven, maybe ill go with that race.

Having played a Khajit and an Argonian is games past I can tell you this type of role playing is way cool as it allows you to step out of your native skin so to speak so go for it.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Yeah, I think we are on the same page. It's not so much that the stats were there in Morrowind, it's that they felt like they were there for the wrong reasons. As if to excuse the way combat worked; it was like having the responsibility of pooping without being given the satisfaction of eating. So when we got to Oblivion it was like... well, they're gone now and I can actually engage in melee intuitively. Now we need to address the topic engaging combat altogether. At the least, though, I think it is indicative of the right direction; better for us were they headed along that path more quickly.

All that said, I am primarily a spell chucker so just give me atronachs to summon and we're going to be just fine.

Yeah in Elder Scrolls I also veer towards magic, though I typically throw some melee in there as well. Some of the dual wielding stuff should be fun to play with. Combat may still end up feeling as floaty as ever but at least we've been given more tools to play with relative to Oblivion. Hopefully that'll go some way towards making it more enjoyable to fight things.

One day an Elder Scrolls game will feature melee combat that approaches the responsiveness and weighty feel of, say, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. And it'll be glorious.

PONGSTAR

Banned
Too bad there isn't a digital only version available of the guide. It looks cool but I'm sure I'll be able to find everything I need in the online wiki's.

Khezu

Zeliard said:
Yeah in Elder Scrolls I also veer towards magic, though I typically throw some melee in there as well. Some of the dual wielding stuff should be fun to play with. Combat may still end up feeling as floaty as ever but at least we've been given more tools to play with relative to Oblivion. Hopefully that'll go some way towards making it more enjoyable to fight things.

One day an Elder Scrolls game will feature melee combat that approaches the responsiveness and weighty feel of, say, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. And it'll be glorious.

They should shoot lower, very easy to mess up the combat in DM, should just rip off the combat in dead island whole sale, not the best, but satisfying enough.

Guesong

Hmm, so is there any deal going on for PC?

I know about the IGN Prime one, but the option for free trial seems to have disappeared for some reason.

I'd feel sad to support the new trend of 60 bucks PC games. :(

ksimm

PONGSTAR said:
Too bad there isn't a digital only version available of the guide. It looks cool but I'm sure I'll be able to find everything I need in the online wiki's.

From Prima

This guide is also available as an iBook for the iPhone and iPad. An iPad map app will be available after launch.

Link

I'm going to cave in and get the paperback, as I've given up hope of stock of the CE in the UK. :( Wish I'd have bloody ordered sooner!

MMaRsu

Fuck i started the game on the wrong profile.. Ofcourse i want to keep playing.. Lvl 5 dark elf. Already killed a dragon and everything, to redo all that would be tedius.. Then again trophies?

Any tips for an Elder Scrolls newb on playing a bow and arrow focused character? Strategies, recommended race, perks, etc.

In these open world RPGs I always play sword and magic. Thought I'd try something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom