• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Haunted

How could anyone approve of these shield textures? How is it possible to release a high profile game that shoves textures of such quality in your face in 2011? :boggle

Game is bloody amazing, btw.

HTuran

Reuenthal said:
Are shouts kind of weak? They do very little damage to enemis in comparison to even destruction spells which isn't my main way of offense. They seem to do very little damage. I expected unrelenting force with the balance upgrade to had been better.
Shouts aren't really for doing damage, more for getting the upper hand. For instance, having Detect Life as a Thief is incredibly powerful. Unrelenting Force gives you 4 free power strikes as an opponent tries to recover. Stuff like that.

Update time! Played around with my 12 free perks. Got my Smithing to 100 and made some Dragonscale armour, looking pretty good! Kind of disappointing that being Light Armour oriented means that you can't craft the best weapons. Might just upgrade a Glass Bow and Dagger.

tha_devil

Wow amazon are idiots. i ordered the CE guide there, because it said they would have stock on NOVEMBER 22.

Now i get an email:

hello,

We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

David Hodgson "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide"
Previous estimated arrival date: December 22, 2011 - December 24, 2011
New estimated arrival date: DECEMBER 01, 2011

What a bullshit. Well as long as i receive it sometime, i had it preordered in holland, but they canceled it. And i really want it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
tha_devil said:
Wow amazon are idiots. i ordered the CE guide there, because it said they would have stock on NOVEMBER 22.

Now i get an email:

hello,

We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

David Hodgson "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide"
Previous estimated arrival date: December 22, 2011 - December 24, 2011
New estimated arrival date: DECEMBER 01, 2011

What a bullshit. Well as long as i receive it sometime, i had it preordered in holland, but they canceled it. And i really want it.

I'm waiting on The Book Depository to restock. I believe they charge $30 for it, but they also offer free shipping to Australia.

Wanace

Cryptozoologist said:
Dark Brotherhood question:

On the final quest, does anyone know if you choose to
spare Commander Maro that he remains in Skyrim in the world doing his normal shit? Or does something else happen to him?

I think it would be cool to
let him live and then screw with him later on. But if he disappears no matter what, I'll just off him.

Damn, was at the bottom of the last page, anyone have any experience with this?

coopolon

How do people pickpocket without constantly saving/reloading? Starting out almost nothing is over 50% chance of succeeding, and having to pay a fine/go to jail 50% of the time while you level the skill up would be terrible.

leng jai

JaseC said:
I'm waiting on The Book Depository to restock. I believe they charge $30 for it, but they also offer free shipping to Australia.

Just got one in time from Amazon before they ran out again and it came to $36 using snail mail. Not too bad.

Neverfade

coopolon said:
How do people pickpocket without constantly saving/reloading? Starting out almost nothing is over 50% chance of succeeding, and having to pay a fine/go to jail 50% of the time while you level the skill up would be terrible.

First perk alone adds 20% to that, and it has little if any prereq.

HTuran

The (Thieves' Guild ending spoilers)
Shadowcloack of Nocturnal
really is overpowered. That and 15x dagger damage means that I can defeat any enemy I come across without even being hit. Let alone the purported 30x you can get with the DB questline...

Orgun

Haunted said:
How could anyone approve of these shield textures? How is it possible to release a high profile game that shoves textures of such quality in your face in 2011? :boggle

Game is bloody amazing, btw.

What's wrong with the shield textures? they look great.

Holy crap.

Thanks to the quest for the temple of Dibella in Markarth I ended up with Alto Wine as an undroppable quest item. Every single bottle I picked up after ended up flagged as well.

If it weren't for the console I would have been seriously screwed.

Edit: Adding the quest name.
A Night to Remember

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Orgun said:
What's wrong with the shield textures? they look great.

I only used one shield so far, and it was when i was lvl 1 when Helgen(?) was under attack. Terribly low res textures, even with everything set on High.

ruxtpin

Banned
So, while playing the game last night with my g/f watching, she saw me picking up a battleaxe to sell and made a comment about old women being called an "old battleaxe." I'd never heard of that expression before, so she looked it up and it turns out that old women were called a battleaxe because (like the axes), as they were used more and more they became loose and rattled (hence an old woman talking excessively and loudly).

I did not know that. And...

the_more_you_know2.jpg

(If you already knew though, pardon me!) =P

ruxtpin

Banned
Edvardelis said:
Holy crap.

Thanks to the quest for the temple of Dibella in Markarth I ended up with Alto Wine as an undroppable quest item. Every single bottle I picked up after ended up flagged as well.

If it weren't for the console I would have been seriously screwed.

Edit: Adding the quest name.
A Night to Remember

lol - Sucks about the bug, but I did think that quest was pretty fantastic. "Oh look, a drinking mini-game. Let me try this out." ... Couple of hours later and my game has turned into the "Hangover Part 3."

syllogism

Damage reductions are capped at 85%, which for armor is achieved by having mere 600-700 armor rating, so basically you don't even need the heavy armor perks if you go crazy with smithing/alcemy/enchanting. Similarly you are free to wear almost any armor type you want at that point and still hit the cap. I suppose some monsters might have armor piercing attacks. Magic resistance stacks with specific elemental resistances.

FireFly

flyinpiranha said:
I'm about 20+ hours in and same version. It really becomes more intuitive down the line when you get used to it. It could have been better of course, I wish there was a quick select circle like Crysis games do for favorite weapons/magic, like hold up on the D-pad and select with your right stick ... but that's just me.
You can hold Q to bring up a quick menu, and also assign numbers as hotkeys there.

Arjen

Facism said:
For every 2 quests i manage to clear, i end up with 4 new ones.

Same problem, 25 hours in, barely touched the main qeusts and guilds, only been to 2 major cities.

ruxtpin said:
lol - Sucks about the bug, but I did think that quest was pretty fantastic. "Oh look, a drinking mini-game. Let me try this out." ... Couple of hours later and my game has turned into the "Hangover Part 3."

Yeah, the quest itself is hysterical.

web01

So did Todd Howard lie about a ton of shit in this game or what?

He claimed there was going to be over 150 handcrafted dungeons, I have visited a huge number of places on the map, many of the dungeons are only one or two rooms or an area considered part of the overworld that clears once you kill a couple of enemies.

Other places are blatantly copied and pasted tens of times across the world such as the forts and tower building which somehow find a way to make an appearance even within underground dungeons.

Another things that irks me is how he claimed the game would look at places you have/have not visited accordingly and adjust where it sends you, yet from my experience playing multiple characters it seems they always send you to the same place.

Have also not noticed a change in enemies based on my the very different playstyles of my multiple characters.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
leng jai said:
Just got one in time from Amazon before they ran out again and it came to $36 using snail mail. Not too bad.

I considered that myself, but I'd like it before the end of the year. :p (I should probably e-mail TBD and ask if they've even began to backorder copies.)

Christine

eXistor said:
I have to say I was expecting this to be Oblivion 2.0, but it's so much more. The biggest and best change to me is the actual world itself. Everything feels so much more logically and naturally placed instead of having ncient ruins litter the horizon as with Oblivion. I was certain Skyward Sword was gonna be GOTY, but with Skyrim being as good as it is, I'm not so sure.

The amount of real content in this game is extravagantly obscene. There are places where it shows up rough, most notably whenever you see the icon obelisk switches. Most of the dungeons are entirely linear and there are clear signs of heavy template and cut-and-paste use during their design. The larger dungeons on the more important quest paths all tend to have nice visual showpiece rooms and scripted action/combat segments that work pretty well.

Even so, the amount of work is staggering. Almost every location I've been to has had something special going on--a book, journal or note, a scripted event or miscellaneous quest, etc.

Skyrim holds its own as a linear, cinematic RPG while blowing the fucking top off of the single-player D&D open-world gaming platform genre. The game is so damn good that the janky aspects of the tech don't even count against it for me.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Found the southern edge of the map this morning, and not where I expected which was disappointing. Walked through an archway, nice bit of path in front of me then I hit the invisible wall of doom - "You cannot go that way".

Looks to be plenty of space below that point, maybe it'll be opened up by DLC. Would have liked something less shitty than an invisible wall though. Still it was raining at the time and a few seconds later, Skyrim unleashed thunder and lightning for the first time. This pleased me greatly.

Fake edit: just found a Skyrim locations map and the boundaries are not flush to the edges. Okaaay.gif

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
web01 said:

He claimed there was going to be over 150 handcrafted dungeons, I have visited a huge number of places on the map, many of the dungeons are only one or two rooms or an area considered part of the overworld that clears once you kill a couple of enemies.

Other places are blatantly copied and pasted tens of times across the world such as the forts and tower building which somehow find a way to make an appearance even within underground dungeons.

Another things that irks me is how he claimed the game would look at places you have/have not visited accordingly and adjust where it sends you, yet from my experience playing multiple characters it seems they always send you to the same place.

Have also not noticed a change in enemies based on my the very different playstyles of my multiple characters.

Todd Howard didn't lie but you certainly do.

syllogism

web01 said:

There are a lot of very valid things to complain about, but the amount of dungeons and dungeon design shouldn't be among them.

Facism

Arjen said:
Same problem, 25 hours in, barely touched the main qeusts and guilds, only been to 2 major cities.

Yup, i'm finding it pretty fatiguing to do them. I think i might just forget about them and go through the story.

web01

subversus said:
Todd Howard didn't lie but you certainly do.

I have seen the fort with prison dungeon more than ten times in some form.
Part of the area is in the tutorial section and it is reused constantly ousually without any changes at all.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
web01 said:

Have you played the game yet? There are tons of things wrong but dungeon design, especially how you've described it, just isn't one of them.

webrunner

As of the last time I played, I've finally replaced Lydia for a cute bumbling mage girl.

Let's see how she works out.

web01 said:

Some quests are set, but others are randomly chosen, and some have a default location but if you've already cleared it out (for a random quest) they can fall back on other locations, in my experience.

I think the dungeons in a lot of places are built from prefabs, like the same large spiral staircase in forts.

web01 said:

What? I don't think I've even seen the same dungeon twice and that's all I've really been doing. I'm not sure what to say, I have done some of the mage quests, the companions quest, ended up in random towns or small places, and out of the 10+ dungeons I've done have not seen ONE repeat. At all. Like, the differences in them are astounding and I mentioned this to my girlfriend who is playing and she even made a mention of it.

EDIT: I figured out what your problem is, you're going in circles!

Jintor

Sure, some of them use similar setpieces (mini-towers are particularly noticable) but every single dungeon in this game feels hand-crafted.

Moofers

JonStark said:
Is there something like warrior guild, and where is it ?
The Companions in Whiterun. Best part of the game for me so far, though its the only "guild" chain I've fully completed.

Moofers

Just lost 2 hours of progress because my wife, Aela The Huntress got stuck on the edge of a cliff while following me on a quest. Its especially annoying too because I stayed on the roads/paths specifically because I was worried this would happen. I tried waiting an hour like people have recommended to others, and I even warped home and waited there. Nothing. Pretty annoying.

HTuran said:
The (Thieves' Guild ending spoilers)
Shadowcloack of Nocturnal
really is overpowered. That and 15x dagger damage means that I can defeat any enemy I come across without even being hit. Let alone the purported 30x you can get with the DB questline...

What exactly do you get in the DB questline?

Are you talking about the armor?

Salaadin

There are some valid complaints about dungeon design...the linearity being one of them. Im 30+ hours in and cant recall seeing any dungeons repeat though. That seems outright false.

I got the Dawnbreaker sword last night. It goes well with the Spellbreaker.
Fun quest too.

web01

DY_nasty said:
Have you played the game yet? There are tons of things wrong but dungeon design, especially how you've described it, just isn't one of them.

I have probably played the game more than you have,
over 125 locations discovered more than half of them cleared with almost 60 hours.
Have two other characters with a small amount of playtime on each also.

They definitely resuse dungeons.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab284/webb0001/fb137346.jpg

HTuran

eravulgaris said:
What exactly do you get in the DB questline?

Are you talking about the armor?
Not really sure, hence the 'purported', but IIRC something about double damage gloves for backstabs. Anyone confirm?

ced

zethren said:
"are you looking for my husband, Nazeem?"

Nope.

Speaking of, I spent like an hour tracking that woman around Whiterun cause I thought she was the redguard woman those people are looking for.

webrunner

Salaadin said:
There are some valid complaints about dungeon design...the linearity being one of them. Im 30+ hours in and cant recall seeing any dungeons repeat though. That seems outright false.

I got the Dawnbreaker sword last night. It goes well with the Spellbreaker.
Fun quest too.

BREAK EVERYTHING.

You should enchant all your armor and rename it all ___Breaker

+stealth? SIGHTBREAKER
+one hand damage? BACKBREAKER

I had a companion in some of the early dungeons in the main quest line, and when we broke into this massive area with a waterfall and ligth breaking in I was like "oh..shit.." And then my companion, who is normally mute, was like "I've never seen anything like this." After Oblivion's dungeons it perfectly captured my sentiments.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
web01 said:
I have probably played the game more than you have,
over 125 locations discovered more than half of them cleared with almost 60 hours.
Have two other characters with a small amount of playtime on each also.

They definitely resuse dungeons.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab284/webb0001/fb137346.jpg
Linearity isn't the same as reused. If you were saying they were linear, it'd be a valid complaint. And most of the forts are generally the same (because they're forts!) but yeah... I'm not tracking what you're saying.

Then again, after 60 hours it might be the color palette wearing on you more than the actual design of the dungeons.

Top Bottom