• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Desaan

Aegus said:
I believe I saw a ghost horse. I saw some blue apparition running at a fairly fast pace off in the distance, but two mudcrabs got in the way.

Anyone seen something similar?

I have seen him also but was on foot at the time and couldn't catch him. Haven't seen him since (50 hours ago). Hope it wasn't scripted.

Dresden

Weird - the merchant in Riverwood was like, "I want you to have this, it's a token of my affection. Don't think we're engaged or anything--" and then gave me six gold. Uh, okay.

Seriously, six gold?

Desaan

Dresden said:
Weird - the merchant in Riverwood was like, "I want you to have this, it's a token of my affection. Don't think we're engaged or anything--" and then gave me six gold. Uh, okay.

Seriously, six gold?

I hope you threw it at their feet and then knocked everything off the shelves.

XeroSauce

So!

I've been playing this game a lot and I keep getting distracted by random strongholds and prisons and caves! I can never finish any main quests because I end up looting the thing and having to cart all the way back to Whiterun to sell.

I'm level 16 currently and I've been doing a weird mix of One-Handed/Destruction with Archery for Range and Restoration on the side. I'm also Enchanting and Smithing like crazy (Alchemy is meh to me) and Sneaking around.

Am I spreading myself too thin? I feel like specializing in one-two combat trees would be optimal but I can't get over being able to adapt to any situation, be in long-range archery battles, indoor duel-cast fire, or healing+one-handed fightness.

I've already killed three dragons and I haven't even start the mage college or Greybeard stuff yet. I keep getting sidetracked.

NBtoaster

Dresden said:

Seriously, six gold?

ha, it's like in Fallout 3 where random townspeople would give you dirty water or 2 rounds.

XeroSauce said:
So!

I've been playing this game a lot and I keep getting distracted by random strongholds and prisons and caves! I can never finish any main quests because I end up looting the thing and having to cart all the way back to Whiterun to sell.

I'm level 16 currently and I've been doing a weird mix of One-Handed/Destruction with Archery for Range and Restoration on the side. I'm also Enchanting and Smithing like crazy (Alchemy is meh to me) and Sneaking around.

Am I spreading myself too thin? I feel like specializing in one-two combat trees would be optimal but I can't get over being able to adapt to any situation, be in long-range archery battles, indoor duel-cast fire, or healing+one-handed fightness.

I've already killed three dragons and I haven't even start the mage college or Greybeard stuff yet. I keep getting sidetracked.

Uhh...you do know that you can fast travel from the map, right?

XeroSauce said:
I'm level 16 currently and I've been doing a weird mix of One-Handed/Destruction with Archery for Range and Restoration on the side.

I get the impression that while this seems weird, it's actually a common approach.

I wandered up to the NW corner of the map, and the shit up there was ripping me apart.

Guess I'll go back in 10 levels or so.

xxczx

Dresden said:

Seriously, six gold?
Same thing happened to me but I got a book.

It wasn't even a good book.

Eteric Rice

Doing the quest "Missing in Action" and the location it's pointing me to is literally off continent.

What the fuck?

Advice please?

Amir0x

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Doing the quest "Missing in Action" and the location it's pointing me to is literally off continent.

What the fuck?

Advice please?

yeah sometimes the map location shit is fucked.

When I go "show on map" to the "give the Daedra Heart to Moth" mission (I got the Daedra Heart, I forgot where moth is), it just goes to a random area where nobody is. I've been there twelve times.

So if anyone knows where moth is, tell me!

Amir0x said:
yeah sometimes the map location shit is fucked.

When I go "show on map" to the "give the Daedra Heart to Moth" mission (I got the Daedra Heart, I forgot where moth is), it just goes to a random area where nobody is. I've been there twelve times.

So if anyone knows where moth is, tell me!

Yeah, I had a couple of quests that I thought were broken because the map stopped working for them. Later on they randomly started pointing to a location again. Sometimes map markers don't display properly on the compass either when you have multiple quest markers on it.

_woLf

Jesus, that was intense.

Went to a dragon shout statue in a mountain area in the southeast (had 2 dragons following me the entire way there,) saw another one on another mountain from where I was standing.

Go to that mountain, meet a guard that wants me to go inside to fetch him something. "It won't take long or be too hard," he says.

That was the longest and most difficult dungeon I've played through in skyrim yet. Killed a dragon lich (those guys are massive pains in the asses) at the end and got his mask -- it's the stamina one. I already have the magicka one which I use regularly, so I figure I may start a collection...but, christ, that was crazy. Bravo, Bethesda. And it turns out that guard was a fucking bandit in disguise! I showed him at the end. :mad:

NBtoaster

younx2ey.jpg

"You and me.."

Just talked to some farmer on the road saying he was going to offer his cow to the giants, so I followed him to watch the out come... dude got launched into the air rofl

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
GhostRidah said:
Just talked to some farmer on the road saying he was going to offer his cow to the giants, so I followed him to watch the out come... dude got launched into the air rofl

I guess the cow was malnourished.

Pikelet

Arjen said:
Anyone met that wandering singing dude in the wild? I see him every now and then on my travels, and he's always fighting with bears/bandits. I always save his as and then let him sing the dragonborn song.

Literally one of the first things is saw when i got out of the tutorial area was this guy walking around. I pay him 25 gold to let him sing just to see what happens. three seconds into the song a wolf leaps from out of the frame and mauls the poor bugger, right before i save his ass by axing the beast in the head. It was at that point that i fell in love with this game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just had to RUN from my first dragon. After grabbing the Throw Voice shout (...?) a blood dragon shows up and just starts fucking wrecking me. I couldn't believe it. My objective became not to win but to get to safe fast travel distance alive. Holy crap. Thanks to the Whirlwind shout or it wouldn't have even been doable.

NBtoaster

How do I start Boethiah's quest?I'm apparently supposed to find a cultist? He isn't at the shrine.

edit: oh I have to be level 30 apparently..

Woorloog

Banned
D6AMIA6N said:
Wat you can sprint?!
How the hell can't people know this? We've been informed of sprinting in many articles and interviews, if ou check the games controls it is shown there and i think the tutorial popups mention it as well.

Eteric Rice

Okay, so I gave up on that last quest for the moment.

Now trying to do the one where I have to find the priest's amulet in the catacombs in Whiterun. Unfortunately, I can't find shit. It's like 3 or 4 rooms big.

Halp.

Mastadon

Banned
My poor Lydia has died and now I'm getting destroyed in dungeons as a pure mage. Any suggestions for a good replacement?

I've never played a western RPG before (I don't know if Deus Ex Human Revolution counts), but the screenshots of Skyrim are really tempting...how long is the game ? Is the combat any good (is it fast-paced or do we get to choose how we play it when we choose our skills ?) ? Will I lose my soul once I start playing ?

Mastadon

Banned
Tribes of Trusty said:
I've never played a western RPG before (I don't know if Deus Ex Human Revolution counts), but the screenshots of Skyrim are really tempting...how long is the game ? Is the combat any good (is it fast-paced or do we get to choose how we play it when we choose our skills ?) ? Will I lose my soul once I start playing ?

I've put in around 30 hours so far, and I'm probably 10% through the main quest. I have visited 1 out of 7 or so major towns, and haven't done any of the guild quests. So it's pretty fucking long!

Outsanity

Anybody else struggling to decide between one and two handed? As much as I love tearing things apart with greatswords I can't help but feel as though 1h and destruction/restoration and the occasional shield is the better way to go. So many decisions, damn!

Midou

Anyone else finish the legion quest line as well?

Was kind of dissapointed, from the opening scene, it seemed kind of like a major conflict, sort of like in new vegas, but I guess the dragons are the real main conflict here. The taking over strongholds got a bit repetitive but it was logical. It was just weird that it had quests like getting back that crown for Torygg(sp?)'s wife and defending Whiterun, but then the rest of them were basically capturing places.

I think as you moved up in ranks, it should have changed your tasks. As legate it should have let you maybe even look at a map and pick forts and basic strategies, and then it could have effected how many reinforcements you got for the final battle.

Other than giving him the Axe, you never even interact with ulfric until the end. Not to mention the game seems to have a lot of NPC voices for basic ideas "hey, you're two handed" or "you joined the companions eh" but it doesn't have many for major accomplishments like "hey, aren't you the leader of the companions, you must be tough" or "I heard you were there when they took down ulfric".

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love this game, but this was the first quest line I felt was not as fleshed out.

Mastadon said:
My poor Lydia has died and now I'm getting destroyed in dungeons as a pure mage. Any suggestions for a good replacement?

Mine got killed (im assuming) during the mage college quest line, god knows where her body went but she had some good stuff on her ;(
The woman in whiterum pub that you fight for 100 gold is pretty good, although ugly as hell haha

Midou

Mastadon said:
I've put in around 30 hours so far, and I'm probably 10% through the main quest. I have visited 1 out of 7 or so major towns, and haven't done any of the guild quests. So it's pretty fucking long!

I think it's a good idea to go through the main quest as it unlocks some fun abilities. I also know of Bethesda's.. issues, and I don't want to risk doing like the dark brotherhood line, and end up, either for radiant or otherwise, killing some important NPC in another quest line.

I'm feeling a bit of Elder Scrolls fatigue at the moment, mainly because I'm kinda pissed off that I can't complete the Companions or Thieves Guild quest-line's because of glitches. Also, I've got about 8 quests in my journal that can't be completed (glitches, again) and the whole 'do jobs for my people, buy a house, become thane' routine has glitched out on me in Markath and Solitude, and now I can't buy a house in either city. Grrr.

In general though, I've found a lot of the quests and storytelling to be a bit underwhelming - the world is amazing and I've loved exploring it, but the most compelling moments have come from randomly exploring on my own, the dungeon design, some epic dragon fights and a handful of well executed quests.

I'm going to knock Skyrim on the head for a while, play a bit of Uncharted 3 and Saint's Row: The Third, then I'll re-start Skyrim with a new character and hope I'm not similarly plagued by glitches.

Tribes of Trusty said:
50 hours in only about to complete my first guild, 4 quests into main story... yea its damn huge.

Midou

Mastadon said:

After you finish companion quest line, you can take anyone in the guild with you. Farkas is really good I'd say.

ShinNL

I'm wearing full Daedric armor but now I'm not sure what to give my follower. Should I give her full Daedric so we look like a dual team (both conjurors!) or (since I don't have the Daedric hearts) give her Ebony armor so I can feel superior about myself because you can see that I am clearly her master? Tough choices you have to make, in this game.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finally! Something weird happens to me!

Fightin dragon. Horse is there. Dragon attacks horse. Horse is trapped, yet from some weird programming, the horse got on top of the dragon and was riding it!

Then it fell off and died... :(

Lakitu

st5fu
I lost it and killed Nazeem in Whiterun. I'm tired of his same insult every time I pass him. That and his voice. I hate him.

Sappy113

xenorevlis said:
So no one knows what I'm talking about concerning dual-casting restoration? I've ventured to Winterhold but am not sure who can give me restore spells.

You don't have a weapon equipped or anything? At least for me on the PS3, I need to unequip my 1h sword before I can go around dualcasting anything.

ParityBit

Last night I was unable to play after work. Now I am back at work and I feel like I have not played in weeks! Stupid work and real life!

Tonight! Beer, pizza and Skyrim! Glad the wife is working tonight!

eXistor

I have to say I was expecting this to be Oblivion 2.0, but it's so much more. The biggest and best change to me is the actual world itself. Everything feels so much more logically and naturally placed instead of having ncient ruins litter the horizon as with Oblivion. I was certain Skyward Sword was gonna be GOTY, but with Skyrim being as good as it is, I'm not so sure.

nib95 said:
Just started the game (an hour or more in) and whilst the menu's look nice, I find them to be overly simple and cumbersome to use. Feel like much more info needed to be in them.

Game is imo gorgeous though. 360 version here and wow at some of the vistas and mountains.

I'm about 20+ hours in and same version. It really becomes more intuitive down the line when you get used to it. It could have been better of course, I wish there was a quick select circle like Crysis games do for favorite weapons/magic, like hold up on the D-pad and select with your right stick ... but that's just me.

The one thing the UI heavily needs is a better inventory system and different methods of sorting (especially in chests you store stuff in).

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the UI aspects, the game in general needs more direction ... I'm really thinking about picking up the guidebook for various things I don't feel like jumping online to search for every 10 minutes when focusing on something like enchanting or alchemy recipes.

Reuenthal

Banned
Are shouts kind of weak? They do very little damage to enemis in comparison to even destruction spells which isn't my main way of offense. They seem to do very little damage. I expected unrelenting force with the balance upgrade to had been better.

Wanace

Dark Brotherhood question:

On the final quest, does anyone know if you choose to
spare Commander Maro that he remains in Skyrim in the world doing his normal shit? Or does something else happen to him?

I think it would be cool to
let him live and then screw with him later on. But if he disappears no matter what, I'll just off him.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Reuenthal said:
Are shouts kind of weak? They do very little damage to enemis in comparison to even destruction spells which isn't my main way of offense. They seem to do very little damage. I expected unrelenting force with the balance upgrade to had been better.

They are really specific and weak. I have like 6 shouts and i don't use any of em except sprint.

Top Bottom