• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Will healing spells kill/damage Dragur? Or is the necromage perk the only thing that'll help kill undead more quickly?

Also, where's a good place to find a fortify alchemy item or fortify enchantment potion recipe?

Woorloog

Banned
My Collector's Edition Game Guide arrived!
Damn huge... there's dragon language dictionary as well. Cool stuff.

Forkball said:
Where the hell do I get alchemy recipes? I run through potions like it's no one's business.
You don't need them really, they just tell you effects without having to taste ingredients.

ii Stryker said:
Will healing spells kill/damage Dragur?
Feel free to try but the effects are far more positive than you'd expect.
Positive for the draugr that is.

Fou-Lu

Last night I fought a purple dragon. Should I be worried about my save file corrupting or something?

Purple textures in oblivion usually had to due with mod issues, but I have no mods for Skyrim.

Drazgul

Ichor said:
Last night I fought a purple dragon. Should I be worried about my save file corrupting or something?

Purple textures in oblivion usually had to due with mod issues, but I have no mods for Skyrim.

Just a failure to load the texture, for some reason. Happened with earlier Bethesda games too, in itself it's not yet a cause for concern (unless you start seeing it more).

Or maybe it was a shiny dragon!

pringles

Dammit, I've been making my way through
Tolvald's Cave
for hours, and now when I think I'm very close to the end I run into a fight that I just can't survive. Lydia is no help, I'm out of my good arrows, my character isn't great at close-combat or magic..

Debating lowering the difficulty just for this fight.. but hell, that would be like accepting defeat..

Going into a dungeon in this game is no cakewalk. Haven't really entered a single one that could be cleared in less than an hour and without trouble.

Maaseru

Banned
So I did the Read Eagle Quest , got the sword I think, but know I got the College Shalidor quest being in that same dungeon, but I don;t have the sword to open the door. DOn;t know where I sold it or dropped it. AM I screwed?

Truant

My character is level 20 and doesn't know he's the Dovahkiin yet. Just a badass Dunmer assassin with a hate for wild animals and bandits.

PaNaMa

Banned
Forkball said:
Where the hell do I get alchemy recipes? I run through potions like it's no one's business.

Apparently if you "sample" your ingredients (by eating one of each type) you learn their effects.

Really helps you get started with making potions.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Gravijah said:
you can basically run up most mountains by walking against it and tapping the jump button.
High Hrothgar says lol

The incline limit is pretty similar to fallout 3's

warpaint said:
Just killed my first Dragon last night, so happy

Same hurrr!

Hmm, what to do. Continue playing Skyrim, while several other games I'm "playing" get put on hold, or finish them, and AC Revelations (once it releases at the end of the month on PC), and THEN get back to Skyrim. Don't particularly want to leave Skyrim for a long period, since I know I'll come back to it and likely be "meh" on it.

Hmm....

Gravijah

DY_nasty said:
High Hrothgar says lol

The incline limit is pretty similar to fallout 3's

honestly, this one seems a bit more lax. i don't remember being able to jump up any incline as easily i have in this game... and trust me, i try. ;p

web01

DY_nasty said:
Linearity isn't the same as reused. If you were saying they were linear, it'd be a valid complaint. And most of the forts are generally the same (because they're forts!) but yeah... I'm not tracking what you're saying.

Then again, after 60 hours it might be the color palette wearing on you more than the actual design of the dungeons.

Well Todd Howard said there would be over 150 handcrafted dungeons, I would hardly call a one room cave, boat, mine a dungeon nor a tower in the the middle of the world that you cannot even enter. Other places that are larger I have discovered are resued blatantly.

The point or my original was to point out that it is disingenuous to make a claim like that when many of these handcrafted "dungeons" are clearly copied and pasted with slight alterations while others are just one small room. Many of the other things he claimed I have also failed to notice in the game iike the supposed dyanamic quest giving. The dungeons in the main quests are alot better but not the random stuff in the world.

I was also very disapointed to see buildings copied and pasted between different major cities. Almost like they ran out of time so did a quick job to finish it off. Especially considering the cities that are unique are nice.

Reuenthal said:
Are shouts kind of weak? They do very little damage to enemis in comparison to even destruction spells which isn't my main way of offense. They seem to do very little damage. I expected unrelenting force with the balance upgrade to had been better.

Flame Breath has definitely saved my ass more times than I can count, so I don't know if they are that weak, especially if you get all 3 words.

bengraven

Smash88 said:

I love how after she recovers, she's got a swagger. Ducks don't givvafukk.

Also, I've been walking around going "FUS RA DOH!" around my house with a Viking growl and my three year old breaks down laughing and starts following me around like the midget in the "We Can Dance" video, all the while his little squeak is screaming: "fu DOOOH!"

So when this started, the first time he had heard the actual line, he started running around without me.

I think he's Dovakiin. Dragon born.

syllogism

web01 said:
Well Todd Howard said there would be over 150 handcrafted dungeons, I would hardly call a one room cave, boat, mine a dungeon nor a tower in the the middle of the world that you cannot even enter. Other places that are larger I have discovered are resued blatantly.

The point or my original was to point out that it is disingenuous to make a claim like that when many of these handcrafted "dungeons" are clearly copied and pasted with slight alterations while others are just one small room. Many of the other things he claimed I have also failed to notice in the game iike the supposed dyanamic quest giving. The dungeons in the main quests are alot better but not the random stuff in the world.

I was also very disapointed to see buildings copied and pasted between different major cities. Almost like they ran out of time so did a quick job to finish it off. Especially considering the cities that are unique are nice.
Oh dear, similar building architecture

Further, you are never going to have a game with 150 "handcrafted dungeons" that fits your criteria (non-MMORPG)

Dunlop

Being the weak willed fool I am (thought I could hold off an borrow a copy from my buddy in a month or 2), I will be picking up this game tonight.

I'm going to stay away from the PS3 version.

I would prefer to play on the 360, two questions
- I saw on another site that the game size was 3.8GB, has anyone installed this with the 4GB available on a slim or should I pick up a usb drive?
- If anyone has played 360 and PC is the playing experience comparable or is it much better on PC? I prefer playing on my plasma but will cave again ang get on PC is vastly superior

thx!

It's good to mix things up a bit in this game. I'm playing as a stealth assassin but went two handed for a while yesterday and gained about 4 levels just from the armor and weapon skill ups. I plan on going magic only when I do the magic college questline.

I also tried out the third person camera last night and it works surprisingly well, especially with two handed weapons with the crosshair disabled. Combat was satisfying and a significant improvement over the Oblivion equivalent. The only thing I really disliked was how the camera forces you back into first person during kill moves. When in first person mode it shifts the perspective to third person during finishing moves so I guess they were trying to maintain that effect. There appears to be a PC mod that allows you to fix the camera movement which I plan on trying out tonight.

My goal for last night was to finish the companion questline. Ended up stopping by Dawnstar on the way and after a deserted ship, a lighthouse, some islands, several bandit camps, mines, and various NPC quest lines later, I'm 5-6 hours deep into what I thought would be a few small distractions. This game.

Enco

Lakitu said:
I lost it and killed Nazeem in Whiterun. I'm tired of his same insult every time I pass him. That and his voice. I hate him.
Might as well kill his annoying wife too.

30 hours in and the game is still amazing. The copy and paste is seriously annoying though. Makes taverns really boring. Luckily the people are usually interesting.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Hawkian said:
PC version... $53 on GMG and you can have it right now...

Er, does Amazon have digital download?

I've never used GMG. Legit site? Steamworks?

bengraven

I hope the DLC adds more to the actual world, too, not just new areas. New types of vendors or random NPCs to help breath more life would be awesome.

GhaleonEB

TwinIonEngines said:
The amount of real content in this game is extravagantly obscene. There are places where it shows up rough, most notably whenever you see the icon obelisk switches. Most of the dungeons are entirely linear and there are clear signs of heavy template and cut-and-paste use during their design. The larger dungeons on the more important quest paths all tend to have nice visual showpiece rooms and scripted action/combat segments that work pretty well.

Even so, the amount of work is staggering. Almost every location I've been to has had something special going on--a book, journal or note, a scripted event or miscellaneous quest, etc.

Skyrim holds its own as a linear, cinematic RPG while blowing the fucking top off of the single-player D&D open-world gaming platform genre. The game is so damn good that the janky aspects of the tech don't even count against it for me.
I was thinking back on some of the things I read about Skyrim before it came out, and remembered a comment Edge made in one of their previews. They said, Oblivion was simply big, while Skyrim feels epic. There's much to say about the artistic, design and technical differences between the games, but I think that's the bottom line. Skyrim is bursting with interesting content, but to me it's the time spent between battles and dungeons where it really shines. The world they've built is just incredible. Standing atop the mountains and looking across the land in a snowstorm feels just epic.

Sarcasm

Dunlop said:
Being the weak willed fool I am (thought I could hold off an borrow a copy from my buddy in a month or 2), I will be picking up this game tonight.

I'm going to stay away from the PS3 version.

I would prefer to play on the 360, two questions
- I saw on another site that the game size was 3.8GB, has anyone installed this with the 4GB available on a slim or should I pick up a usb drive?
- If anyone has played 360 and PC is the playing experience comparable or is it much better on PC? I prefer playing on my plasma but will cave again ang get on PC is vastly superior

thx!

Why don't you hook up your PC to the plasma?

web01 said:

I bet you're fun at a party.

Todd claimed the sky and has come the closest to touching it than any other game I've played. Not sure what else you want here.

Is xbox 360 install still bugged? Getting abit annoyed of all the loading 30 hours in haha

I do feel like an absolute beast playing as my first ever Wrpg mage, can two shot nearly everything with mid fire spells, had to drop to that as the fire ball was kept killing my downed allys which is rather annoying!

Gravijah

just killed my first
dragon priest
. helm that gives me amazing defense, looks cool, +20% prices, underwater breathing, and more carrying capacity? i am quite happy.

Woorloog

Banned
Gravijah said:
just killed my first
dragon priest
. helm that gives me amazing defense, looks cool, +20% prices, underwater breathing, and more carrying capacity? i am quite happy.
Those bastards are tough. Really, really tough. Especially if you go where they're at too low level. Feels good afterwards though.

Gravijah

Woorloog said:
Those bastards are tough. Really, really tough. Especially if you go where they're at too low level. Feels good afterwards though.

oh, you're damn right they are. luckily i had a ton of potions plus two companions (one quest related, one summoned) but jesus one hit from him took nearly half my life.

i also got lucky and my instant kill proc triggered when he had around a third of his life left.

Philthy

Where do you find the stuff needed to craft Dwarven armor? It's like metal plates and such can be smelted to Dwarven iron ingots. I killed one of those dwarven golems and it had a ton of metal plates, cogs, etc .. Like.. a ton. About 10 or so assorted SUPER HEAVY items, but none of them are used for making Dwarven armor.

1. Where do you get this stuff.

2. Are all the cogs, etc used for anything else in the game? This stuff was seriously heavy and I got it all in my house after walking an inch a minute for like an hour. Sucked butt.

Also, I'm sort of upset that dungeons are all linear. I would KILL to see a Daggerfall dungeon right now (Minus the one way trap doors!). I'd like to get lost in a dungeon for DAYS.

Concept17

Just got crafted and upgraded my first full set of Dwarven armor... I look like a tank.

I'm always so broke in this game. :(

^^ I've only found dwarven ingots from merchant... but no veins or anything to mine. I haven't explored too far though

Raxus

Gravijah said:
just killed my first
dragon priest
There are several versions of these helms. I have one that improves alchemy, lockpicking, and archery (I believe).

diffusionx

Gold Member
web01 said:

So now, re-using assets is a sign of rushing, lazy devs, etc.? Every house should be unique?

Wanace

Philthy said:
Where do you find the stuff needed to craft Dwarven armor? It's like metal plates and such can be smelted to Dwarven iron ingots. I killed one of those dwarven golems and it had a ton of metal plates, cogs, etc .. Like.. a ton. About 10 or so assorted SUPER HEAVY items, but none of them are used for making Dwarven armor.

1. Where do you get this stuff.

2. Are all the cogs, etc used for anything else in the game? This stuff was seriously heavy and I got it all in my house after walking an inch a minute for like an hour. Sucked butt.

Also, I'm sort of upset that dungeons are all linear. I would KILL to see a Daggerfall dungeon right now (Minus the one way trap doors!). I'd like to get lost in a dungeon for DAYS.
I heard you can smelt the dwarven junk into ingots? Not sure though. Never tried. There are smelters in Dawnstar and Markarth for sure that I know of.

GhaleonEB said:
I was thinking back on some of the things I read about Skyrim before it came out, and remembered a comment Edge made in one of their previews. They said, Oblivion was simply big, while Skyrim feels epic. There's much to say about the artistic, design and technical differences between the games, but I think that's the bottom line. Skyrim is bursting with interesting content, but to me it's the time spent between battles and dungeons where it really shines. The world they've built is just incredible. Standing atop the mountains and looking across the land in a snowstorm feels just epic.

I actually just love visiting pretty landscapes. May I suggest hanging around the riverbed and surrounding area just outside Gloomreach at about 4:30 - 5pm? Goddamn beautiful.

Oh god.. cant decide wether to move all my shite from whiterum to the magic college... could take awhile...but it does have an enchanters table..

Philthy

Cryptozoologist said:
I heard you can smelt the dwarven junk into ingots? Not sure though. Never tried. There are smelters in Dawnstar and Markarth for sure that I know of.

Yeah, the junk I got isn't the right junk. I thought it was, but it isn't.

Wanace

Scullibundo said:
I actually just love visiting pretty landscapes. May I suggest hanging around the riverbed and surrounding area just outside Gloomreach at about 4:30 - 5pm? Goddamn beautiful.

There's no doubt that the landscapes in Skyrim are far better than in Oblivion. Some wide open plains where you can see sooooo far are awesome, never really had that in Oblivion. Plus the waterfalls, creeks, hot springs, mountains, swamps, etc. are all incredibly varied.

I just put my 60th hour in and completed the Dark Brotherhood questline. Haven't touched the Thieves Guild yet since my character sucks at stealth. I had to spend quite a few thousand on bounties for the Dark Brotherhood because of that. Still only did a couple quests for the Companions too, have to go through that. Plus the shitload of side and miscellaneous quests I haven't touched yet. I think I'm level 38 now, things are definitely slowing down. I'm planning on switching up my skill usage at this point, going for archery and light armor so I can gain some more levels and get perks to put where I want them.

I came home from clinical last night at midnight. Thought to myself, Skyrim of BF3. Chose Skyrim.

Went to bed at 5. =(

It's insane how you can be trying to do one thing, and end up doing so many different things. I did get my Blacksmithing to 100. Found some 15% Blacksmithing gloves and 50% Blacksmithing potion, and made an 2 awesome sets of Dragonscale Armor and a couple of Glass bows.

I don't know how people can complain about this game. I'm an absolute Oblivion hater. I bought the game on 3 different occasions, just trying to get into it. I had atleast 20 hours invested into Oblivion to try and accustom myself to it. Hour 46 in Skyrim already, and I love it.

Is there housing with mannequins? I have so much stuff I dont want to use but just have in my house. What has this game done to me!!

TheContact

I have a pure mage (elf, lvl 22)--destruction, conjuration, restoration, speech, and enchanting.

and a zerker (orc, lvl 6)-- one handed (dual wield), blacksmith, restoration, light armor (haven't put any perks yet--can't decide if i should just go heavy armor)

Forkball

MrOogieBoogie said:
I've never used GMG. Legit site? Steamworks?
Very legit and it has a good reputation. I bought Skyrim from there. And most Steamworks games are Steamworks no matter where you buy them.

Philia

Can I just rage about escort missions in here? I'm so accustomed to going solo and doing it slow/steady sneaking & assassinating enemies. But these stupid brash/greedy adventurers will just get themselves killed.

And yes, I'm at Ironbind Barrow. >.<

Cryptozoologist said:
There's no doubt that the landscapes in Skyrim are far better than in Oblivion. Some wide open plains where you can see sooooo far are awesome, never really had that in Oblivion. Plus the waterfalls, creeks, hot springs, mountains, swamps, etc. are all incredibly varied.

While I feel that Skyrim is far, FAR more sculpted than Oblivion, I have to point out that Oblivion did have some nice touches, though they're dated now. I recall a point where I had a water walking amulet on, was standing on Lake Rumare, and just watched the sunrise. It was a NICE visual.

Top Bottom