• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I recruited the only Khajiit follower in the game. He is a badass from one of the three traveling caravans.

"If someone tries to sneak up on us I will smell them coming. Or I may not. We will see."

thetrin said:
Hmm, thanks. He wasn't selling anything last time I talked to him. I'll have to check again.

When you bought the house, he should have given you a note with all the stuff you can buy and how to do it. It should be an option in the dialogue choice.

That said, I've run into issues with that NPC myself...for some reason he won't reward me for killing a bandit chief. Shows up in my quest marker, but won't complete the quest and fucking PAY ME.

Edit: Also, has anyone run across Maiq the Liar yet? Sort of hoping he would do something awesome this time around, unless I missed it. He didn't even have anything good to pickpocket....

TheContact

Khajiit are so rare in this game. I've only seen a few of them. People in the cities say they don't like them because most of them are thieves. Buncha racists!

kodt

Banned
Omegasquash said:
That said, I've run into issues with that NPC myself...for some reason he won't reward me for killing a bandit chief. Shows up in my quest marker, but won't complete the quest and fucking PAY ME.

I had that happen, but I found the dialogue option was there, it was just gray so I didn't notice it. Check all the dialogue options and you might have one to finish it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Omegasquash said:
When you bought the house, he should have given you a note with all the stuff you can buy and how to do it. It should be an option in the dialogue choice.

Yeah, I have so many notes and books on my person that when someone gives me something, unless I saw the name of the note or book when it was added to my inventory, I have no idea what they gave me, and it takes 20 min to figure it out.

web01 said:
I have probably played the game more than you have,
over 125 locations discovered more than half of them cleared with almost 60 hours.
Have two other characters with a small amount of playtime on each also.

They definitely resuse dungeons.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab284/webb0001/fb137346.jpg

Yeah ... still not seeing it. Granted I'm only 20 hours in. I mean, they reuse bricks and snow and stuff, but I've never felt going into a dungeon that I "knew where I was going" because of a re-used map.

Maybe I just haven't seen it yet, who knows?

Has anyone with the collector guide used the online Prima interactive map? How is it?

I'm not so certain I'd use it, so, not sure what to do with the code quite yet.

Zona

Metalic said:
Guys I am stumped, I've became a vampire and to cure myself trap a soul inside a gem, but I don't know how to cast soul trap. :(

1) Buy the spell, its a low level one so any mage should have it.

2) Select the spell to cast, its in the magic page.

3) Cast it on live NPC, Its a melee spell so get up close.

4) Kill NPC with in 60 seconds.

Note! Humanoid enemies require a Black soul gem.

Youl know if you did it right.

Hyunkel6

Did anyone encounter an arc electromancer? Those guys are so overpowered. They are immuned to backstabs, have extremely high hp, and cast chain lighting over and over again. Took me around 10 tries to beat one. I had to lead him on a pressure plate which triggered a door filled with spikes to slam him repeatedly.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
level 15 and I've only just realised you're supposed to upgrade your skills using the star signs thing. I thought it was automatic.

I've been walking around like a level 0 for >12 hours

I'm dumb.

Hyunkel6 said:
Did anyone encounter an arc electromancer? Those guys are so overpowered. They are immuned to backstabs, have extremely high hp, and cast chain lighting over and over again. Took me around 10 tries to beat one. I had to lead him on a pressure plate which triggered a door filled with spikes to slam him repeatedly.

Well there go my chances...

thetrin said:
Yeah, I have so many notes and books on my person that when someone gives me something, unless I saw the name of the note or book when it was added to my inventory, I have no idea what they gave me, and it takes 20 min to figure it out.
It's called "Whiterun something something" You can easily find it in your books under W.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I was playing through this game a little too fast. Going to take everything a lot slower from this point forward. Stop pressing "A" to fast-track through dialogue (I read it, but never listen). Gonna take in the environment more. Did it last night and one quest took me a few hours rather than 30 minutes.

ShinNL

D4Danger said:
level 15 and I've only just realised you're supposed to upgrade your skills using the star signs thing. I thought it was automatic.

I've been walking around like a level 0 for >12 hours

I'm dumb.
You're not the only one, at first I thought perks were just extra levels for your skills (like upping restoration from 25 to 26), so I saved them up until level 8. Then I took a better look and drooled over the abilities :D

Dizzy-4U

Metalic said:
Guys I am stumped, I've became a vampire and to cure myself trap a soul inside a gem, but I don't know how to cast soul trap. :(
I have the Soul Stealer perk (Conjuration) which casts soul trap automatically on my magic swords. Gems are always filled :D

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if this was posted yet, but Bethesda promises to fix PS3 lag. While they're at it, can they fix the godawful PS3 shadow flickering?

Also, that Gamesradar article is right on the money. Bethesda has been releasing buggy, unplayable games for years, and no one makes a stink about it (well, some people do, but they buy the games anyway). I will admit that Bethesda's games are generally so much more expansive and complex than their competitors' games, and from what I can tell Skyrim has been in development for 3 years, versus the usual 2-year game development cycle. That time seems to have been well spent as the world is very well realized and packed with content. But at the same time, the PS3 issues aren't just a result of "unforeseen situations" where so-and-so quest only bugs out if you're standing with a certain companion wearing a certain item at a certain angle from the setting sun. This is a major PS3 memory management issue that Bethesda knew about before they released the game. There is no way its QA testers spent less than 20 hours playing the PS3 version (and if they did, well then that's even worse).

That being said, I am enjoying the game, but you can be damn sure I will never buy another Bethesda game that is not on the lead console at the time.

Salaadin

Hyunkel6 said:

Arc Electromancer?
Ive encountered a normal "Electromancer" before and he gave me a ton of issues...even with the shield perk that halves elemental damage AND a shield that creates a ward to block up to 50 pts of elemental damage. Once I was able to get close enough to shield bash him, he went down quick but it took me a bunch of tries to get there.

Are you telling me that theres a tougher version of him?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So before I jump into this game, anyone wanna give some general tips/advice for starting out?

Any character builds notably more fun than others? Any that just don't work? I'm thinking of specializing in archery with competent sword/dagger skills and some basic knowledge of magic. Is an archer more fun in Skyrim than in Oblivion?

Woorloog

Banned
A question about marriage: Can you be married to many NPCs at the same time? If not, can you divorce? Or do you need to, eh, "arrange" an accident for your spouse*? Can you marry someone if the previous spouse, uh, had an accident?
The Game Guide is great but doesn't answer these :/

*This would've made a great way to contact Dark Brotherhood: "Hey, can you kill my spouse? I don't like him/her anymore but the cursed priest won't let us divorce!"
"Sure, pay 5000 drakes in advance. You might not want to be around though, we'll be seeing your spouse in 3 days"

ShinNL

Dizzy-4U said:
I have the Soul Stealer perk (Conjuration) which casts soul trap automatically on my magic swords. Gems are always filled :D
I was wondering, isn't this annoying? I'm a conjurer using a bound sword, but I did not get that perk because someone posted that you have to look out that you don't only have like a grand soul gem left and accidentally soul trap a petty soul in it. I would love the upgrade after soul steal, but because of this bit of knowledge I can't get it.

scy

Soneet said:
I was wondering, isn't this annoying? I'm a conjurer using a bound sword, but I did not get that perk because someone posted that you have to look out that you don't only have like a grand soul gem left and accidentally soul trap a petty soul in it. I would love the upgrade after soul steal, but because of this bit of knowledge I can't get it.

To be honest, I do most my Enchanting with the Black Star and everything below Grand is basically pointless for me so I don't care what gets trapped where. That and I can't remember the last time I got a Grand soul from a kill anyway :(

I just buy pre-filled usually. Banish Enchanted Daggers sell for a lot so the cost is made up in basically the same trip.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
close to the edge said:
Was anyone ever attacked by two dragons? I had that two days ago. They didn't both attack me at the same time though (after one was dead, the next one came along).

That happened to me although the second dragon didn't wait his turn. They ended up almost in sync, like one was a carbon copy of the other but a few seconds behind, landing at the same spot and flying in the same pattern. Didn't last long against that, fuckers :(

Zona

Soneet said:

One of the options during the Azura questline is to turn Azura's star into The Black Star. Its a reusable Black soul gem.

Derrick01

Banned
MmmSkyscraper said:
It does, had some this morning when I was around Falkreath. Would like more of it though, doesn't seem to happen very often.

Yeah when I left the dark brotherhood sanctuary it was raining and that's in the surrounding area. Seems like that's the most likely place to rain.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ilnadmy said:
Don't know if this was posted yet, but Bethesda promises to fix PS3 lag. While they're at it, can they fix the godawful PS3 shadow flickering?

Also, that Gamesradar article is right on the money. Bethesda has been releasing buggy, unplayable games for years, and no one makes a stink about it (well, some people do, but they buy the games anyway). I will admit that Bethesda's games are generally so much more expansive and complex than their competitors' games, and from what I can tell Skyrim has been in development for 3 years, versus the usual 2-year game development cycle. That time seems to have been well spent as the world is very well realized and packed with content. But at the same time, the PS3 issues aren't just a result of "unforeseen situations" where so-and-so quest only bugs out if you're standing with a certain companion wearing a certain item at a certain angle from the setting sun. This is a major PS3 memory management issue that Bethesda knew about before they released the game. There is no way its QA testers spent less than 20 hours playing the PS3 version (and if they did, well then that's even worse).

That being said, I am enjoying the game, but you can be damn sure I will never buy another Bethesda game that is not on the lead console at the time.

3 years for a game of Skyrim's ambition strikes me as too little time.

Morokh

The Lamonster said:
I recruited the only Khajiit follower in the game. He is a badass from one of the three traveling caravans.

Not the only one then :p

The Khajit from the mages College is the other one once you complete his quest

Hyunkel6

Salaadin said:
Arc Electromancer?
Are you telling me that theres a tougher version of him?
Haha, yes, there is. Now that you mentionned it, his high hp must have come from all those shields he had around him. He didn't have them when I lead him to the trap, which explais why he went down so quickly with such a common trap.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
thundr51 said:
Has anyone else gotten 'reprimanded' for using shouts around town?

Well, i can say they were right to be mad at me this one time i did it... i accidentally used my Fire Breath shout on the blacksmith's assistant of Whiterun after i bought some stuff from her.

Was still funny to see her running away from me while she was on fire though.

legbone

bigwinnerx said:
Has anyone with the collector guide used the online Prima interactive map? How is it?

I'm not so certain I'd use it, so, not sure what to do with the code quite yet.

i tried using it but it seems a little resource intensive for my netbook to handle. that or it's just busted. anyway it seems amazing and i am disappointed that i am having performance issues. i was thinking of upgrading my ram on my netbook and this may force me to do so. it lets you filter by all kinds of locations and search. it's great. but it locks up my netbook or takes forever to load and i don't want to be running from my living room to the home office everytime i need to look at it.

Locke_211

Are the Daedric shrines really well hidden? I've got Azura's marked on the map, but not been there yet, but not stumbled upon any of the others. Do you need to go to Azura's first?

coopolon

How are you m/kb players out there managing stealth? One of the few times I wish I was using a gamepad, only having walk really slow or run as two speed options is not very great when you're trying to sneak up on someone walking away without alerting them.

What I've been trying is using shift to alternate between walking and running every other step or so, based on the audio cues it's still pretty silent, not sure how well it's working because my sneak is still pretty low.

xxczx

Locke_211 said:
Are the Daedric shrines really well hidden? I've got Azura's marked on the map, but not been there yet, but not stumbled upon any of the others. Do you need to go to Azura's first?
They aren't hidden that well, not for the two I've found anyway. Just by walking to different locations you'll see the Shrine icon on the compass when you're near it.

coopolon said:
How are you m/kb players out there managing stealth? One of the few times I wish I was using a gamepad, only having walk really slow or run as two speed options is not very great when you're trying to sneak up on someone walking away without alerting them.

What I've been trying is using shift to alternate between walking and running every other step or so, based on the audio cues it's still pretty silent, not sure how well it's working because my sneak is still pretty low.

Just get your sneak ability up. I leave auto-run enabled and just sort of tap the move keys (while in sneak mode) as I advance close to an enemy. Sneak detection is a lot stricter than in Oblivion but once you get your skills up it becomes a lot easier.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
scy said:
To be honest, I do most my Enchanting with the Black Star and everything below Grand is basically pointless for me so I don't care what gets trapped where. That and I can't remember the last time I got a Grand soul from a kill anyway :(

I just buy pre-filled usually. Banish Enchanted Daggers sell for a lot so the cost is made up in basically the same trip.
Yes. Here's the bonus: get all those petty souls that are oh so useless, go in whiterun, buy all iron ingots and iron ores from all three blacksmiths, make 24 daggers, go up the castle, enchant them all with the petty gems and whatever spell, sell everything for 3 times the price = instant massive profit, enchanting and smithing leveling up.

While you're there, go to the mage and buy every single petty/small soul gem he has. Go back out, fill everything back up, come back in 48 hours (so the vendors restock), do it all over again.

bengraven

Locke_211 said:

Who marked the Shrine on your map? I need to find one of them.

I love how the Daedric quests aren't from finding their shrines like in previous games, but actual SHOCK you when they pop out of no where. For example, the Hircine quest or the Vile quest. It makes the Daedra seem more God-like and omniprescent, not just a whispering statue.

scy

drizzle said:
Yes. Here's the bonus: get all those petty souls that are oh so useless, go in whiterun, buy all iron ingots and iron ores from all three blacksmiths, make 24 daggers, go up the castle, enchant them all with the petty gems and whatever spell, sell everything for 3 times the price = instant massive profit, enchanting and smithing leveling up.

Off-hand, Shock sells the most of the basic Enchants and Banish should yield the most period (can easily get to 1600-2000 value Iron Daggers).

While you're there, go to the mage and buy every single petty/small soul gem he has. Go back out, fill everything back up, come back in 48 hours (so the vendors restock), do it all over again.

Hit up the General store as well. He has a few Gems sometimes and will also buy your Daggers; buy his gems to increase his gold and then sell daggers back to him.

thundr51

Ok, I finished the companion quest line and I thought I was supposed to be
cured from my lycanthropy
but my 'Days as' counter keeps going up and I no longer get the 'well rested' bonus. Is this a bug or is there something else I am supposed to do?

Hahaha, just found a great Star Wars reference in an Ice Troll cave. Would post a shot, but I don't want to spoil it for people.

I also found a really weird little dungeon that had these bouncing, glowing balls that follow you around until the end. Really cool and unexpected.

Woorloog

Banned
Rodney McKay said:
Hahaha, just found a great Star Wars reference in an Ice Troll cave. Would post a shot, but I don't want to spoil it for people.
I can guess what's this about. Have you played Bloodmoon expansions of Morrowind? I think it had similar reference.

Also repeating my question above:
A question about marriage: Can you be married to many NPCs at the same time? If not, can you divorce? Or do you need to, eh, "arrange" an accident for your spouse*? Can you marry someone if the previous spouse, uh, had an accident?
The Game Guide is great but doesn't answer these :/

Koomaster

bengraven said:
After looking around in a full circle and noticing no red dot and no flying creatures, I ride on. My heart finally slows and relaxes.
I got scared to death one day by a kestrel flying about. Wasn't paying too close attention when suddenly huge shadow on the ground. I thought dragon for sure, but didn't see anything. I scanned the skies for a while looking for this dragon to come back. Eventually the kestrel comes flying back and I am like - oh, haha.

HildyB

Hyunkel6 said:
How do you slit throats? I saw the animation in the trailers.

Just adding to this one. I was only able to get the animation once I got sneak skill up to where my dagger did x15 dmg. I'd have to be right up on them, but unless they were a bandit chief I would always get the throat slit animation every time, took out an entire keep that way minus a mage and chief. Felt badass :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bah, I just managed to become stuck between a rock and a hard place a chest. That's enough Skyrim for today.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How do I improve armor at the forge? I have dragon plate, and the perk and smithing at 100, obviously.

Grindstone seems to only improve weapons.

thetrin said:
How do I improve armor at the forge? I have dragon plate, and the perk and smithing at 100, obviously.

Grindstone seems to only improve weapons.
I haven't unlocked dragon plate yet, but if you can improve it like any other armor, use the work bench.

Top Bottom