• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

bengraven

Woorloog said:
I can guess what's this about. Have you played Bloodmoon expansions of Morrowind? I think it had similar reference.

Also repeating my question above:
A question about marriage: Can you be married to many NPCs at the same time? If not, can you divorce? Or do you need to, eh, "arrange" an accident for your spouse*? Can you marry someone if the previous spouse, uh, had an accident?
The Game Guide is great but doesn't answer these :/

As far as I can tell, there's no divorce.

Death also means you can't remarry.

So far.

Koomaster said:
I got scared to death one day by a kestrel flying about. Wasn't paying too close attention when suddenly huge shadow on the ground. I thought dragon for sure, but didn't see anything. I scanned the skies for a while looking for this dragon to come back. Eventually the kestrel comes flying back and I am like - oh, haha.

That happened to me in Whiterun! It was night and I was talking to a guard. In his torchlight, I saw a fluttering, winged shape move across the ground and panicked a second.

Nah, just a bird.

Wait, can we actually kill the birds?

Blizzard

Banned
bengraven said:
I love when the skies go grey and you hear distant thunder in the background.

And I stop riding, running and look to the sky in panic, thinking it maybe the beat of a dragon's wings? After looking around in a full circle and noticing no red dot and no flying creatures, I ride on. My heart finally slows and relaxes.

Then I wonder "why doesn't it actually rain?"
I really thought I walked through a rainshower in the grassy fields near Whiterun. Maybe I was wrong? *edit* Looks like I was right. :)

FHIZ

Okay, wtf moment. On what I assume to be a very late dark brotherhood quest.
place is burning down and I go get cozy with the night mother, she tells me to sleep, screen goes black... Nothing happens.
I try and bring up my 360 guide to see if this is what is supposed to happen, hear the noise bit no guide which usually means the game froze... On my third try and it's just a black screen with some ambient noise... What is supposed to happen

Okay never mind, something finally happened. Too long of a black screen.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Reluctant-Hero said:
I haven't unlocked dragon plate yet, but if you can improve it like any other armor, use the work bench.
Ah, great. Thanks.

bengraven

Blizzard said:
I really thought I walked through a rainshower in the grassy fields near Whiterun. Maybe I was wrong? *edit* Looks like I was right. :)

I vaguely remember it raining once, though I can't remember where.

With all the effort they put into the beautiful blizzards in this game, I was hoping to see more thunderstorms on the level of Morrowind. Morrowinds rain was the best.

Koomaster

The Lamonster said:
If you aren't part of the thieves guild then there are no fences for you to take stolen merchandise to. You will have to get 90 in speech and take the 'Fence' perk as well as the perk which allows you to invest in shops. At that point, any shop you have invested in will take your stolen merchandise.

Edit: Also for people asking about who to pay off your bounty. When you first start in Riften, any guard will do. You'll see the option to pay a pittance of your bounty as well as to pay the full thing. The full price is for everyday suckers who aren't in the thieves guild. The lower price is what you'll want to pay as your stolen items won't get taken from you. And from what I understand you'll have to do jobs from Darvin. He'll send you to different city hubs to do different things in order to establish a presence for the thieves guild. That's how you unlock ways to pay for your bounty (again with the guards) in those cities.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So...how do you marry someone in this game? Talk to some random npc and hope you get the option after talking and helping them many times?

bengraven

Locke_211 said:
It was raining in Ivarstead, for me. Lovely and atmospheric!

The skies are almost always grey for me and sometimes you'll see dark rolling clouds with thunder (see my post on the last page about suddenly scanning the skies).

Frankly, I would love a bit more rain, but that's what the mods are for. Or maybe I can change it in the ini somewhere to rain more.

LFG

Neophyte
couple of questions for pc version..

-how do i assign things to hot keys? i can favorite items and switch like that, but hot keying would be a little more convenient.

-what's the screenshot key and where are they saved?

-is it possible to view the front of your character with their weapons drawn? i can only rotate the camera when i have my weapons away.

-and can i join more than one guild and/or do their quests?

thanks!!

bengraven said:

So far.

That happened to me in Whiterun! It was night and I was talking to a guard. In his torchlight, I saw a fluttering, winged shape move across the ground and panicked a second.

Nah, just a bird.

I saw a shadow moving and thought it was a shadow being related to some kind of quest I hadn't discovered yet. Spent ten minutes chasing it before I realized it was a bird's shadow.

Dunlop said:
purchased...360

The Giant Bomb podcast made magic sound pretty unappealing, anyone leveled a pure mage?

50 Destruction - I would call myself a Glass Slingshot, I wish I were a cannon.

I'm probably doing something wrong but almost every dungeon is a struggle with 10-15 reloads and tries. I'm dual casting with the impact perk.

Honestly? If I were to restart I wouldn't go pure Mage. But I do plan to break the system and get the 100% reduced cost with enchantment.

Bisnic said:
So...how do you marry someone in this game? Talk to some random npc and hope you get the option after talking and helping them many times?

Buy the amulet at the inn in Riften. You will get extra dialog options with NPCs that you can marry while wearing the amulet.

ShinNL

metamonk said:
couple of questions for pc version..

-how do i assign things to hot keys? i can favorite items and switch like that, but hot keying would be a little more convenient.

-what's the screenshot key and where are they saved?

-is it possible to view the front of your character with their weapons drawn? i can only rotate the camera when i have my weapons away.

-and can i join more than one guild and/or do their quests?

thanks!!
- Just press a number in the favorite menu.

- F12 for Steam's screenshot functionally (and darn easy to share online thanks to the overlay). I think print screen for Skyrim's own screenshot functionality.

- Not that I know of.

- Don't know about this either, haven't joined any guild myself.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Buy the amulet at the inn in Riften. You will get extra dialog options with NPCs that you can marry while wearing the amulet.

Can i marry any woman if my character is one too? :D

H3xum

thundr51 said:
Ok, I finished the companion quest line and I thought I was supposed to be
cured from my lycanthropy
but my 'Days as' counter keeps going up and I no longer get the 'well rested' bonus. Is this a bug or is there something else I am supposed to do?

I'm having this same exact problem, must be a bug

scy

Dunlop said:
purchased...360

The Giant Bomb podcast made magic sound pretty unappealing, anyone leveled a pure mage?

My Archer was leagues more of an annoyance than my Mage for quite some time; Master difficulty is more-or-less kind of a breeze early on with just how useful the Flame Atronach is and how potent spells are compared to early enemies. That said, I'd chalk up most of my difficulties on my first character ... well, due to it being my first character.

It's a bit tiresome down the road, though, just due to Magicka costs of spells and how many casts you need per kill. Enchanting some Magicka cost reduction would help a lot so that's something to consider trying to utilize.

ShinNL

Keasar said:
Only problem right now is that nothing can be equipped to the left hand with the hot keys. :/
Magic always goes to the left hand, weapons to the right hand. If you double tap the magic hotkey, you get the magic in both hands. If you double tap the weapon hotkey and have 2 of that weapon, you'll wear it in both hands.

So yeah, as a dagger + sword dual wielder I have to use the menu to equip the dagger on the left hand. Slightly annoying, but I just take it as hotkeys not being a replacement for the favorites menu.

I'm only 21 hours deep into Skyrim, but I'm loving it.

I came home Whiterun last night after completing a few random quests. As soon as I walk in the gates I over hear one if the guards mention that he a dragon fly over the city and was heading to the North East. I checked my map and a new dragon marker was added. So Lydia and I decide to get some sleep and head out to this new location at dawn.

We when get out there the next morning, I can see the dragon calmly perched above an ancient dragon altar. I pull out my bow and let an arrow fly to let the beast know that the god damned Dovahkiin has come for it. Lydia and I make short work of this dragon as it foolishly stuck to the ground where I could use my exquisite Skyforge Steel sword of fire to slash it to pieces. I absorb the soul that's owed to me and turn my attention to dragon stone that u hear faintly calling to me.

As Lydia & I approach the stone, I see an ancient coffin tremble and then a frightening
dragon priest, Kosis,
arises from it's slumber. The fiend was the biggest challenge I had faced thus far in my adventures and Lydia soon collapsed to her knees after absorbing to many fireballs that were obviously meant for me. I frantically search through my pack and chug as many health boosting, fire & magic resisting potions as I can to steel myself against my foe. I then choose to drop my trusty dwarves shield so I can have a heal spell equipped. My foe and go at it for what seemed like hours, but was only minutes. After using the full force of my shout to slam the creature into the side of the mountain repeatedly, Lydia was able to rejoin the fray and together we vanquished the undead fiend for good.

Slermy

v0mitg0d said:
[*]Keep in mind Magic skills only gain experience if an enemy is around, even restoration spells
[/list]

Incorrect, healing spells gain experience as long as you actually are restoring health (ie: not full). The other restoration spells do require you to be in combat though.

v0mitg0d said:
[*]There are only two people in the world who will buy stolen stuff (Winterhold/Riften), however if you get your speech skill high enough any vendor will buy stolen goods.
[/list]

Playing through the Thieves Guild opens up more fences.

Seanspeed

Banned
bengraven said:
The skies are almost always grey for me and sometimes you'll see dark rolling clouds with thunder (see my post on the last page about suddenly scanning the skies).

Frankly, I would love a bit more rain, but that's what the mods are for. Or maybe I can change it in the ini somewhere to rain more.
I haven't noticed any thunder, but it rains plenty for me.

GhaleonEB

"The Lost Expedition" was such a fantastic quest/dungeon. It really felt like
I was exploring an ancient city, rather than a dungeon. The long periods with no enemies really built up the tension, and activating the city's defenses - and seeing the fallout - was awesome. Dwemer Centurions, OMFG.

Dwemer defense machines drop soul gems like a pinata drops candy.

Is there a use for all the different Dwemer metal pieces? Cogs, bars, levers, etc.?

Now I'm at the museum popping display cases, amused that the guards don't notice that all the displays are suddenly open. :lol

Pollux

FHIZ said:
Okay, wtf moment. On what I assume to be a very late dark brotherhood quest.
place is burning down and I go get cozy with the night mother, she tells me to sleep, screen goes black... Nothing happens.
I try and bring up my 360 guide to see if this is what is supposed to happen, hear the noise bit no guide which usually means the game froze... On my third try and it's just a black screen with some ambient noise... What is supposed to happen

Okay never mind, something finally happened. Too long of a black screen.
Same thing happened to me and I ended up turning my xbox off and back on again thinking it froze and had to redo the whole thing. The second time I just said screw it and went to get something to drink and while I was in the kitchen the noise and stuff started happening. But yea, way too long of a black screen.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
You don't have to buy the amulet. Plenty of people drop Amulets of Mara.

Dunlop said:
purchased...360

Magic is fucking awesome. I'm running a spellsword, and there's nothing more awesome than shooting a firebolt at someone and then instant killing them with my war axe.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
thundr51 said:
Has anyone else gotten 'reprimanded' for using shouts around town?

Funniest thing I had happen with an accidental shout was brawling some braggart in an inn, we were fully engaged in fisticuffs when I accidentally hit the shout button, sending a giant gout of flame breath rolling through the inn, killing 2 instantly and wounding others.

Zona said:
1) Buy the spell, its a low level one so any mage should have it.

2) Select the spell to cast, its in the magic page.

3) Cast it on live NPC, Its a melee spell so get up close.

4) Kill NPC with in 60 seconds.

Note! Humanoid enemies require a Black soul gem.

Youl know if you did it right.

Dizzy-4U said:
I have the Soul Stealer perk (Conjuration) which casts soul trap automatically on my magic swords. Gems are always filled :D

Thanks guys !

thetrin said:
You don't have to buy the amulet. Plenty of people drop Amulets of Mara.

Magic is fucking awesome. I'm running a spellsword, and there's nothing more awesome than shooting a firebolt at someone and then instant killing them with my war axe.
True, plenty amulet of mara drops. But talking to the priest in Riften enabe the marriage dialog with NPCs when wearing the amulet.

Diseased Yak said:
Funniest thing I had happen with an accidental shout was brawling some braggart in an inn, we were fully engaged in fisticuffs when I accidentally hit the shout button, sending a giant gout of flame breath rolling through the inn, killing 2 instantly and wounding others.

I always try to leave my detect life shout on by default. Doesn't cause you to be detected, doesn't hurt anyone. Learned my lesson after I (cough) used a rather potent shout pointed AT A DRAGON, but somehow managed to piss off a member of the Companions. Said spell hurt him so much that no amount of yielding would help. So it was me vs. him AND the dragon. Good times.

gdt

10 hours in, level 12. I'm so in love with this game.

Is there anyway to pull back the 3rd person camera? I swear I put it closer somehow, my guy takes up like 50% of the screen now.

Woorloog

Banned
bengraven said:

So far.
Well, fuck. That means i need to consider this very carefully. Good thing the game guide has list of marriable NPCs, too bad their houses don't seem to be listed. Save-load fest it is.
Remarry needs to be added in a patch or DLC ASAP. And why not polygamy while at it, Fable style.

thetrin

Reluctant-Hero said:
True, plenty amulet of mara drops. But talking to the priest in Riften enabe the marriage dialog with NPCs when wearing the amulet.
yes, this is true. You have to talk to Marmel in Riften (he's in the Bee and Barb when you first arrive, not in the Temple of Mara) in order to activate the ability to marry.

gdt5016 said:

Is there anyway to pull back the 3rd person camera? I swear I put it closer somehow, my guy takes up like 50% of the screen now.
If you're on the consoles, hold down the right stick and you can set the camera distance with the left stick.

gdt

Blue Ninja said:
If you're on the consoles, hold down the right stick and you can set the camera distance with the left stick.

PC but I use a 360 controller. Gonna give it a shot.

thetrin

gdt5016 said:

console or PC? On PC it's the scroll wheel.

Diseased Yak said:

On the PC version I remapped my middle mouse button to change POV but later remapped it to shout due to a keybind error that happens when you remap the POV key. Completely used to it now but I can't tell you how many times I accidentally dragon shouted people trying to change my POV.

Slermy

bengraven said:

So far.

Nah, just a bird.

I've personally killed some hawks in Solitude.

Diseased Yak said:

This will be a headline in the Skyrim Daily News tomorrow

"Man Accidentally Shouts in Inn - 2 Dead, Others Wounded"

Top Bottom