• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

bidaum

Do your companions have their own perk system? If I give Lydia a two-handed weapon will she start using perks from the two-handed tree?

Hex

Banned
Gravijah said:
instant kills are so weird. somehow i got instant killed by a relatively weak enemy when i was at full health.

I actually like that.
I like the fact that there is always that risk and you can never totally be at ease.

Grisby

After not fighting any dragons for a while I ventured into the mountains and fought 2 with in the span of 20 min or so. Crazy.

At lvl 17 now and dudes are finally starting to hit pretty hard. I've died a bunch but mostly because it can be a bit of a drag trying to hit with my two handed sword.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hex said:
I actually like that.
I like the fact that there is always that risk and you can never totally be at ease.
Unless you have shit for armor, it doesn't make much sense.

I have full Legendary Dragon Plate, and if a skeleton instant kills me, it's fucking bullshit.

coopolon

I'm not really understanding the Steel Smithing perk.

With the perk I can upgrade a Steel Dagger to (Fine) and it goes from Damage of 7 to 8. Without the perk I can also upgrade a Steel Dagger to (Fine) with damage going from 7 to 8. What does it mean when it says you can upgrade steel weapons and armor twice as much?

Agentnibs said:
Been tricked by that and birds all the time!

Fun trick I found is that you can ride the butterflys :lol

....Please tell me this can be accomplished on the 360. I'd love to giggle like a schoolgirl at home and have my wife wonder what the fuck I'm laughing about, walk in the door and THEN MAKE THE SAME DAMN SOUND.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
coopolon said:
I'm not really understanding the Steel Smithing perk.

With the perk I can upgrade a Steel Dagger to (Fine) and it goes from Damage of 7 to 8. Without the perk I can also upgrade a Steel Dagger to (Fine) with damage going from 7 to 8. What does it mean when it says you can upgrade steel weapons and armor twice as much?
The perk allows you to upgrade a certain type of weapon or armor to a higher level at a lower smithing level.

Without a perk, you can only upgrade up to Flawless even if you have 100 smithing. The perk basically allows you to upgrade to higher levels without a high smithing level.

You need both the perk and the 100 smithing to get anything to Legendary. At low levels you may not see the difference, but it's there.

Check this for more info: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Smithing

All weapons can be improved to Fine without smithing or perks.

coopolon

thetrin said:
The perk allows you to upgrade a certain type of weapon or armor to a higher level at a lower smithing level.

Without a perk, you can only upgrade up to Flawless even if you have 100 smithing. The perk basically allows you to upgrade to higher levels without a high smithing level.

Edit: Nevermind, the UESP article answers it. Amusingly enough, I'd actually already pulled up that article and had it open in the tab right next to this one, I just didn't browse down far enough to see the answer. Thanks!

I also hope UESP upgrades their servers or something, getting pretty tired of the constant failure to loads.

thetrin

coopolon said:
I see. So right now my smithing is too low, even with the perk, to upgrade it any higher. But I'll be able to get to the next upgrade quicker (twice as quickly) with the perk. So say it takes 50 to go above fine on Steel, with the perk I can do it at 25? I just can't see it yet because I'm not at 25. I'm just making up the #s.
The wiki I edited into my post lists the explicit smithing levels needed with and without perks. It's very helpful.

But yeah. The perk lowers the smithing level requirement to upgrade equipment.

Also, smithing enchantments on gear will allow you to have a smithing level higher than 100 if you don't want to spend points on the necessary perk.

Angry Fork

I've killed like 4 dragons so far but is there like an infinite amount or is there x number of dragons you can kill? And I've gotten lots of shouts but they say you need dragon souls to unlock them, and I have gotten dragon souls but they're still grayed out so what do I do to unlock them?

bidaum said:
Do your companions have their own perk system? If I give Lydia a two-handed weapon will she start using perks from the two-handed tree?

I suspect they may have the perk trees maxed out by default or maybe several random ones. I saw one companion do a roll while sneaking which is a higher level sneak perk and another companion, I think Farkas, decapitated someone once -- not sure if you can do that with or without the perk. Also, while taking one through a dungeon I noticed they didn't set off any traps.

Companions Questline related, spoilers if you haven't finished it.
The game keeps counting up my days as a werewolf, even though I used the harpy-like things head and killed my wolfspirit. Should I be concerned? I seem to be able to get the well-rested bonus again.

thetrin

Angry Fork said:
I've killed like 4 dragons so far but is there like an infinite amount or is there x number of dragons you can kill? And I've gotten lots of shouts but they say you need dragon souls to unlock them, and I have gotten dragon souls but they're still grayed out so what do I do to unlock them?
Infinite dragons.

To unlock shouts, go to the shout menu under magic, highlight the shout you want to unlock and hit R (On PC. I'm sure it's a different button on console :p)

Mojojo

Pretty pissed that for the Forgotten Legend quest, you are forced to join the mage guild to enter Saarthal even if you don't play a mage type :(

kodt

Banned
Angry Fork said:

Yes I think they spawn infinitely.

You just need to select a shout and then hit (F or R? I forget which key) to unlock it. If you are on console then I'm not sure which button but it tells you on the screen.

Angry Fork

thetrin said:
Infinite dragons.

To unlock shouts, go to the shout menu under magic, highlight the shout you want to unlock and hit R (On PC. I'm sure it's a different button on console :p)
Nice, thanks.

coopolon

thetrin said:
The wiki I edited into my post lists the explicit smithing levels needed with and without perks. It's very helpful.

But yeah. The perk lowers the smithing level requirement to upgrade equipment.

Also, smithing enchantments on gear will allow you to have a smithing level higher than 100 if you don't want to spend points on the necessary perk.

Hmm, it's still not working though. I have the Steel Smithing perk, so according to that wiki I should be able to upgrade Steel Weapons and Armor to Superior at level 20. My smithing is level 21 and I still can't upgrade them past fine (and I did make sure I have the Steel Ingots necessary.)

Edit: It doesn't matter, I leveled it up two more times and it works now. So I think the #s on the wiki are just a little off, at 23 I can upgrade to superior.

thetrin said:
Are they not available on the menu, or are they greyed out? If they're greyed out, what is the error message it gives you?

they were greyed out, but under requirements were still white suggesting I had the ingots, just not the skill. Maybe I was at 20 (thought 21 because the # on the right), and you actually have to be 1 above what is in the wiki.

thetrin

coopolon said:
Hmm, it's still not working though. I have the Steel Smithing perk, so according to that wiki I should be able to upgrade Steel Weapons and Armor to Superior at level 20. My smithing is level 21 and I still can't upgrade them past fine (and I did make sure I have the Steel Ingots necessary.)
Are they not available on the menu, or are they greyed out? If they're greyed out, what is the error message it gives you?

Demon Ice

Banned
How does setting favorites / hotkeys to equip weapons and spells work on PC? I press Q in the menu and nothing happens. And it's telling me to press F to favorite but nothing happens when I press that either. Am I missing something?

kodt

Banned
Demon Ice said:
How does setting favorites / hotkeys to equip weapons and spells work on PC? I press Q in the menu and nothing happens. And it's telling me to press F to favorite but nothing happens when I press that either. Am I missing something?

Select the item you want to favorite, hit F.

Now it is in your favorite menu, which you bring up by hitting Q in game.

When you bring up your favorites menu with Q, then select an item and hit 1-9 to assign that item to a hotkey.

Demon Ice

Banned
kodt said:

When you bring up your favorites menu with Q, then select an item and hit 1-9 to assign that item to a hotkey.

I hit Q in game and nothing came up :/ I'll try rebinding the controls and fiddling with it in game later today, thanks.

ShinNL

Demon Ice said:
I hit Q in game and nothing came up :/ I'll try rebinding the controls and fiddling with it in game later today, thanks.
I've read that there's a bug if you changed your POV (3rd person) key. Whatever you changed that to (it's normally F), that's the key you have to press in the menus to put sells/weapons in your favorites list (even though it still says you have to press F).

After you have favorited something, your Q will work.

thetrin

kodt said:

You can also assign favorited items to numkeys.

thetrin

coopolon said:

Edit: It doesn't matter, I leveled it up two more times and it works now. So I think the #s on the wiki are just a little off, at 23 I can upgrade to superior.

they were greyed out, but under requirements were still white suggesting I had the ingots, just not the skill. Maybe I was at 20 (thought 21 because the # on the right), and you actually have to be 1 above what is in the wiki.
Yeah, It might be an inaccuracy in the wiki.

Korosenai

Does anyone know how to fix my archery? Under the skills tab it's in a bright red bolded text and it says 15, when it's really around 48 or so.

angelfly

NubInaTub said:
Does anyone know how to fix my archery? Under the skills tab it's in a bright red bolded text and it says 15, when it's really around 48 or so.
Head to a temple and pray. To find out exactly what it is go to the magic menu and check 'active effects'.

Doodis

Reluctant-Hero said:
I'm only 21 hours deep into Skyrim, but I'm loving it.

I came home Whiterun last night after completing a few random quests. As soon as I walk in the gates I over hear one if the guards mention that he a dragon fly over the city and was heading to the North East. I checked my map and a new dragon marker was added. So Lydia and I decide to get some sleep and head out to this new location at dawn.

We when get out there the next morning, I can see the dragon calmly perched above an ancient dragon altar. I pull out my bow and let an arrow fly to let the beast know that the god damned Dovahkiin has come for it. Lydia and I make short work of this dragon as it foolishly stuck to the ground where I could use my exquisite Skyforge Steel sword of fire to slash it to pieces. I absorb the soul that's owed to me and turn my attention to dragon stone that u hear faintly calling to me.

As Lydia & I approach the stone, I see an ancient coffin tremble and then a frightening
dragon priest, Kosis,
arises from it's slumber. The fiend was the biggest challenge I had faced thus far in my adventures and Lydia soon collapsed to her knees after absorbing to many fireballs that were obviously meant for me. I frantically search through my pack and chug as many health boosting, fire & magic resisting potions as I can to steel myself against my foe. I then choose to drop my trusty dwarves shield so I can have a heal spell equipped. My foe and go at it for what seemed like hours, but was only minutes. After using the full force of my shout to slam the creature into the side of the mountain repeatedly, Lydia was able to rejoin the fray and together we vanquished the undead fiend for good.
I came upon this very same spot last night. Dragon was pretty cake,
Kosis
was terrifying. After dying once, I accidentally shouted him off the cliff. He remained down below and his firebolts hit the mountain just below me the whole time, so I just wailed away at him with my bow and some magic for what felt like five minutes. I have no idea how I would have killed him in a fair fight.

thetrin

NubInaTub said:
I've already prayed at two temples and it still hasn't fixed.
Did you check your active effects?

HTuran said:
Hm, haven't found any of those masked Dragon Priests yet. Any hints?
HINT: They're at the end of huge dungeons, and are usually guarding a word of power.

HTuran said:
Hm, haven't found any of those masked Dragon Priests yet. Any hints?

If you want one that's...manageable (i.e. with a powerful magical companion), head up to the Northeastern section. It's near a wrecked ship (blightwater or bilge something or other). You can't miss it.

A guard in Solitude gave me the map marker for the ship, and on my way there, I found the dungeon.

Korosenai

thetrin said:
Did you check your active effects?
Yea, and there is nothing there that would make my archery go down. And when I click on the archery skill tree, it then says my archery is at 50 (where it should be). This is really weird.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Been playing the PS3 version since Tuesday, and have been having a blast. Really enjoying it so far. It was a good idea for me to buy a copy for me and my wife, since there would have been no way we'd be able to share it.

Performance has been really good so far on the PS3. A few framerate hiccups here and there. Visuals look good. Nothing majorly game breaking for me, yet. My wife experienced a few issues on her PS3, but we've had trouble with her system in the past (had to get it repaired by Sony earlier in the year due to issues with Fallout: New Vegas. My Slim is only a few months old (I only use my old school Phat PS3 for downloadable titles and PS2 games not yet available on the PS Store).

I've probably played a good 12+ hours at this point, and I'm really enjoying myself so far. I find it much more interesting and diverse than Oblivion (which I eventually lost interest in because I just didn't find the world terribly compelling). I think the diverse art design and terrain really helps suck me into this one as opposed to Oblivion. I also like the gameplay systems much more, and dual casting is fricking awesome. I was going for an archmage sword and sworcery character, but at this point I'm almost moving on to a pure magic user, as I don't use my melee weapons as much as I have initially.

Overall, I'm glad I didn't write off the series after my experiences with Oblivion. I love fantasy games, but that one didn't pull me in. I'm looking forward to getting home and spending the weekend with it. I've only been putting in about 3 hours a night since Tuesday, so I should be able sink a lot of time into it over the weekend, not to mention my 4 day weekend next week. Good times.

webrunner

I killed a guy with an arrow.. then he fell over a balcony yelling "Death is overrated!"

Cheesecakebobby said:
I like to order Lydia over pressure pads so she triggers the traps, and then laugh at the outcome. Am I sick?

My fiancee very seldom stops for traps.. she just runs straight through and they end up triggering behind her, usually on Lydia.

Smash88

Banned
Ugh, where are we going to share our stories of Skyrim on GAF, when GAF goes down for the 15 hour maintenance tonight @ 6pm EST? -_-

Alchemy said:
I appreciate her enough to leave her at my house so no one steals my stuff.

Wait, people can steal stuff? I haven't had that happen to me. How the hell can I stop them if I'm not here, I left Lydia at home, but what happens if she doesn't stop the thieves?

Noaloha

Cheesecakebobby said:
I like to order Lydia over pressure pads so she triggers the traps, and then laugh at the outcome. Am I sick?
I never need to encourage her where pressure pads are concerned.

Cudder

I think 2 handed weapons is the first tree that I'll focus on getting all the perks. Decapitating fools never gets old.

Top Bottom