• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Frost the Horse mission question:

so I have the option to inform Maven Black-Briar of her son's scheme with Louis Letrush. I'm wondering if not informing her will piss her and the Thieve's Guild off. I've just joined the TG. A couple of their members advised me to be careful with this quest.

Are the consequences if I don't tell her?

I didn't inform her, but I swiped the horse without any casualties, so I'm not sure if that may have helped because nobody said anything about it.

But that quest led me to one of the most amusing glitches in the game: right outside the Whiterun stables are now three of that same guy: two standing up, one buried halfway into the floor. I haven't had the heart to kill off two of them.

Sure. It's "allowed" until the Justicars come along and happen upon you, or hear of you from someone else. Once again, this dismisses the troubling element of foreigners enforcing religious protocol through cloak and dagger or violence with official sanction from your "guardians" at the top. Yeah, no.

But why did the Justicars come to Skyrim? Because the Stormcloaks rebelled.

And thus my point. Hammerfell is still fighting. How much better off would Hammerfell be if the Empire didn't sell them to retain a seat of power and instead came to their aid? Hammerfell is fighting the good fight and deserves support, not abandonment.

My primary point is this: at what point will the Emperor decide the whole of Skyrim, not just Talos, is worthy of a trade for retaining power.
I have no doubt Hammerfell's receiving plenty of Imperial support behind the scenes. The Empire doesn't fully declare for them yet because they feel they're not ready to wage full-scale war again.

If you think the Empire's going to remain like this because the Emperor "likes power", think again. They're preparing for war.
The Emperor is dead.
All this talk of "retaining power" is rendered moot in the grand scheme of things.

You're assuming that fighting is fruitless and will always result in Elven supremacy. I happen to have the alternate view that supporting the Empire leads to an inevitable list of concessions until there is nothing left for the archaic institution to give. It has already sold out on several fundamental levels, I can see how many civilians decline the authority at this point.

I don't. Fighting alone against the Dominion is, however. It's not just the Altmer: it's the combined forces of Elsweyr, Valenwood and the Summerset Isle. Hammerfell alone won't withstand them. Skyrim alone won't withstand them. Cyrodiil alone won't withstand them. You know what follows next.

The Empire's in chaos, and preparing for war. The Thalmor will, under no circumstance, allow the Empire to exist for much longer. The next "concession" you're so afraid of will be decided on the battlefield, and it'll be the death of one power and the rise of another.

The Empire's definitely not perfect, but it's nowhere near the corrupt mess you make it out to be. In comparison to the xenophobic and short-sighted Stormcloaks, for me it's an easy choice.

Fair enough. I'm learning a lot of the background lore through this conversation, it's all quite interesting. I'm still not settled on what I think would be best tactically for the Stormcloaks/Nords, I just found myself understanding their position better at the time I ran into some rude Imperials on the road, sealing my alignment.

The back and forth has been illuminating, and just further highlights to me how well constructed the lore behind the war is. My second character will probably align with the Imperials just to I can see events from both sides.
Yeah, it's pretty interesting to see how other people feel about stuff like this. Beth really turned Tamriel from the relatively "simple" world in Morrowind and Oblivion into this huge, convoluted mess where everyone's fighting everyone. I hope TES VI brings back that feeling of "stability", because that's one thing I really liked in Oblivion over Skyrim. An united world facing this large evil is more interesting to me than a bunch of people fighting amongst eachother.

I'm happy to see the game's lore discussed in-depth. The roleplayer in me rejoices at the opportunity to deconstruct the conflict from multiple different angles.

Ghaleon, it's important to note that the Stormcloaks =/= the Nords. The Nords have belonged to the Empire since day one. They were never conquered or subjugated by the Imperials, they are the Imperials - the original Imperials, the Imperials of Tiber Septim's regime. Notice how many Nords in Skyrim support the Empire - not because they're race-traitors, but because the Empire is their's, and they don't want to see it fall to an upstart warlord.
Well said.

Fair enough. I'm learning a lot of the background lore through this conversation, it's all quite interesting. I'm still not settled on what I think would be best tactically for the Stormcloaks/Nords, I just found myself understanding their position better at the time I ran into some rude Imperials on the road, sealing my alignment.

The back and forth has been illuminating, and just further highlights to me how well constructed the lore behind the war is. My second character will probably align with the Imperials just to I can see events from both sides.

I'm happy to see the game's lore discussed in-depth. The roleplayer in me rejoices at the opportunity to deconstruct the conflict from multiple different angles.

Ghaleon, it's important to note that the Stormcloaks =/= the Nords. The Nords have belonged to the Empire since day one. They were never conquered or subjugated by the Imperials, they are the Imperials - the original Imperials, the Imperials of Tiber Septim's regime. Notice how many Nords in Skyrim support the Empire - not because they're race-traitors, but because the Empire is their's, and they don't want to see it fall to an upstart warlord.

It's absolute bullshit that you can fill a soul gem with a weaker soul than the gem allows for, and that permanently prevents it from being used to it's full potential. Grand Soul gem are rare enough without having them completely wasted when they're filled with petty soul. Why the hell didn't they make it so that if you use Soul Trap on an enemy with a "better" soul than what you have in the soul gem, it overrides whatever was in there before?

I hope they fix this with a patch, because it's a stupid oversight that makes enchanting a lot more tedious and frustrating than it needs to be.

It's annoying that I can't refuse some quests. I don't want to steal a staff and I don't want to kill some monk for some daedric asshole and yet they're still in my journal and some day I'll complete those tasks, just to get them out of the log.

Fezan

So i am doing Silenced Tongues quest. but cant kill the boss at the end kevenel?
i am level 13 i think yet he kills me in 3 4 hits :(

bengraven

Not really. They just 'tolerate' each other because they're too weak to take each other on right now. And behind the scenes,
the Thalmor are supporting both sides
. They want this war to weaken the Empire, because that'll further their own goals.

And for those, see above.

Ah, okay. Shouldn't have read this and the other guy further down's spoiler, but it helps me cement my decision to go Imperial over Stormcloaks.

It's absolute bullshit that you can fill a soul gem with a weaker soul than the gem allows for, and that permanently prevents it from being used to it's full potential. Grand Soul gem are rare enough without having them completely wasted when they're filled with petty soul. Why the hell didn't they make it so that if you use Soul Trap on an enemy with a "better" soul than what you have in the soul gem, it overrides whatever was in there before?

I hope they fix this with a patch, because it's a stupid oversight that makes enchanting a lot more tedious and frustrating than it needs to be.

I've got plenty of soul gems from Farengar in Whiterun. At this point by selling my enchanted rings to him I can clear him out of all his soul gems and gold.

KingK

I'm siding with the Imperials on my first character just because a united Empire is the best chance of beating the Thalmor, who are the real bad guys.

I do have some questions about the allegiances of the various provinces right now though. I know Morrowind was blown up by Red Mountain, but how much of it is left and what side are they on (if any?). Also, what role do Elswyr and Black Marsh play in the conflict? And am I correct that High Rock remains part of the Empire, while Hammerfell was given up to the Dominion?

It makes perfect sense, you can even buy the strongest gem from some mage ina random town. Soul Gems aren't hard to come by and the basic mechanic of a larger gem being able to contain any soul that size and below has been around a long time, not to mention makes sense in context.

If you don't have anything but grand gems, why are you trying to soultrap foxes anyway?

But why did the Justicars come to Skyrim? Because the Stormcloaks rebelled.

Or because there are heathen humans to exterminate and they have free political pass to do so? Hm.

I have no doubt Hammerfell's receiving plenty of Imperial support behind the scenes. The Empire doesn't fully declare for them yet because they feel they're not ready to wage full-scale war again.

If you think the Empire's going to remain like this because the Emperor "likes power", think again. They're preparing for war. (An end Questline spoiler follows)
The Emperor is dead.
All this talk of "retaining power" is rendered moot in the grand scheme of things.

Regardless of spoiler (is this canon?), there will be many of similar power with well vested interests that have no concern whether people on the bottom have their freedom or lives. I think it is unfair to dismiss yet another relevant topic. Allowing the slaughter of your civilians on their home soil has no place in a temporary " peace treaty".
I don't. Fighting alone against the Dominion is, however. It's not just the Altmer: it's the combined forces of Elsweyr, Valenwood and the Summerset Isle. Hammerfell alone won't withstand them. Skyrim alone won't withstand them. Cyrodiil alone won't withstand them. You know what follows next.

The Empire's in chaos, and preparing for war. The Thalmor will, under no circumstance, allow the Empire to exist for much longer. The next "concession" you're so afraid of will be decided on the battlefield, and it'll be the death of one power and the rise of another.

The Empire's definitely not perfect, but it's nowhere near the corrupt mess you make it out to be. In comparison to the xenophobic and short-sighted Stormcloaks, for me it's an easy choice.
Way to paint with a broad brush! The Empire lost any chance it had of a "united Tamriel" with the sacrificing of Hammerfell and Talos.

Geez, I did not know this. So if I fill my Grand Soul Gem with a petty soul, it becomes a petty soul gem permanently? It's not a Grand Soul Gem (petty)?

If I have one empty Grand and one empty Petty SG in my inventory, and I use Soul Trap on a creature with a petty soul, will it automatically go into the empty Petty Soul Gem?

Edit: wait, I see what you are saying. It's "permanent" only if you use it to enchant something, in which case you lose the gem. Yeah I would empty the gem first by refilling an enchanted item, then fill it back up with the best soul I can before using it to enchant.

I thought you meant once you filled it, you could never refill it with a better soul, even if you used it to refill an item.

Geez, I did not know this. So if I fill my Grand Soul Gem with a petty soul, it becomes a petty soul gem permanently? It's not a Grand Soul Gem (petty)?

If I have one empty Grand and one empty Petty SG in my inventory, and I use Soul Trap on a creature with a petty soul, will it automatically go into the empty Petty Soul Gem?

It automatically goes to the smallest possible soul gem that can hold the soul. So if you only have commons, it will upscale and enter a common, etc all the way to black soul gem, though the "petty" value of the soul will not alter.

Once it's grand soul gem (petty) it can no longer contain any other soul, you can only use it as if it were a petty soul gem. It does not however become a petty soul gem (petty).

Edit: wait, I see what you are saying. It's "permanent" only if you use it to enchant something, in which case you lose the gem. Yeah I would empty the gem first by refilling an enchanted item, then fill it back up with the best soul I can before using it to enchant.

I thought you meant once you filled it, you could never refill it with a better soul, even if you used it to refill an item.

It should stay a Grand Soul Gem it''ll just have a (petty) soul in it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm worried i'm going to level up health or magicka or stamina too much aonly to find out later on that i didn't need to because of some item or equipment that makes it unnecessary. Any advice on stat distribution in that regard?

I've never honestly cared for the soul gem system in these games.

Totally unrelated: What happens if you marry someone rich like that Black-Briar woman? Also, what happens if you marry one of the street bums?

GhaleonEB

Forsworn quest is completely broken for me. Can't do it. :(

Tried everything but
The guards refuse to take me in and frame me. They always attack me and I end up having to kill every guard in Markath or leave the town, never to return. Motherfuckers even sent a decked out bounty hunter after me I had such a high bounty on my head.
I've since saved just before the breaking point and hope I don't accidentally run back into that area, lest the whole game become fucked again.

I'm hilariously late to this reply, but did you try taking out your weapon, and then sheathing it again? On two occasions I've been attacked by guards with no prompt, and doing that triggered the dialog options. One of them was quest-related, though not that quest.

Thanks for the clarification, though I did realize this. I was being a bit sloppy in my terminology.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting to see how other people feel about stuff like this. Beth really turned Tamriel from the relatively "simple" world in Morrowind and Oblivion into this huge, convoluted mess where everyone's fighting everyone. I hope TES VI brings back that feeling of "stability", because that's one thing I really liked in Oblivion over Skyrim. An united world facing this large evil is more interesting to me than a bunch of people fighting amongst eachother.

I'm the opposite, I find this infighting much more interesting than Oblivion's unified good guys versus the fiery bad guys.

I'm siding with the Imperials on my first character just because a united Empire is the best chance of beating the Thalmor, who are the real bad guys.

I do have some questions about the allegiances of the various provinces right now though. I know Morrowind was blown up by Red Mountain, but how much of it is left and what side are they on (if any?). Also, what role do Elswyr and Black Marsh play in the conflict? And am I correct that High Rock remains part of the Empire, while Hammerfell was given up to the Dominion?

Morrowind is neutral, as is Blackmarsh. Elsweyr was taken in by the Dominion, alongside Valenwood. Highrock (and ostensibly Orsinium) remain part of the Empire. Hammerfell was left to fend for itself in the Great War, a move that left a lot of Redguards bitter towards the Empire for abndoning them. For now, they've managed to resist Dominion rule, due to the Dominion being weakened after their route at the Imperial City, and a few left-over "discharges" from the Legion who are stationed in Hammerfell, indefinitely.

Am I the only one who thinks Hammerfell is the next most likely location for a mainline TES game?

Morrowind is neutral, as is Blackmarsh. Elsweyr was taken in by the Dominion, alongside Valenwood. Highrock (and ostensibly Orsinium) remain part of the Empire. Hammerfell was left to fend for itself in the Great War, a move that left a lot of Redguards bitter towards the Empire for abndoning them. For now, they've managed to resist Dominion rule, due to the Dominion being weakened after their route at the Imperial City, and a few left-over "discharges" from the Legion who are stationed in Hammerfell, indefinitely.

Am I the only one who thinks Hammerfell is the next most likely location for a mainline TES game?
Would LOVE for the next game to take place in Hammerfell, regardless of time period.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I was attakced by guards unprovoked in riverwood once. A dragon attacked the town and after I and the guards defeated it they started attacking me. My guess is that one of my arrows missed the dragon and hit a guard.

Or because there are heathen humans to exterminate and they have free political pass to do so? Hm.
The thing we can agree on here is that the Thalmor are scum. I won't try and justify the decision to allow the Justiciars to roam free: it's bullshit, and everyone knows it. At this point, though, there's little the Empire can do: they're effectively being bullied by the Dominion while fighting a war with the Stormcloaks at the same time. If they wouldn't be so weakened by the constant fighting, all this wouldn't have happened.

Regardless of spoiler (is this canon?), there will be many of similar power with well vested interests that have no concern whether people on the bottom have their freedom or lives. I think it is unfair to dismiss yet another relevant topic. Allowing the slaughter of your civilians on their home soil has no place in a temporary " peace treaty".
I assume it's canon, since it's part of the
Dark Brotherhood questline
. And I'm not dismissing anything. The peace treaty is a sham. The Thalmor are despicable thugs and the Empire should've started fighting them again long ago. However, it's hard enough to fight one war, let alone two.

Way to paint with a broad brush! The Empire lost any chance it had of a "united Tamriel" with the sacrificing of Hammerfell and Talos.
I'm only "painting with a broad brush" the same way you're writing off the Empire. ;) But, let's face it, most Stormcloaks are fighting either because of the Talos ban or because they just want to get rid of all the non-Nords in Skyrim. And at this point, an "united Tamriel" may be a pipe dream, but Hammerfell/Cyrodiil/High Rock and Skyrim would need to stand united, imo. If they're too busy slaughtering each other, the Elves would win.

It was concede to the Concordat terms, or die. They made a tough, but necessary decision. A decision anyone would have made, perhaps excepting Ulfric Stormcloak, who'd rather see himself and his people slaughtered in the name of maintaining pride and honor.

Hammerfell is complicated. The Empire officially withdrew from Hammerfell, true, but they left behind enough legionaries "under the radar" to help them fend off the next Dominion offensive. They're by no means dead in the water, even if they (the Redguards) perceive it to be so.
Aye. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors involved in the concordat.

And now I'm done discussing for today. Let's talk about something more light-hearted, shall we? Like the various uses for dragon skulls.

Either Hammefell or Valenwood/Summerset Isle, I think.

And I almost forgot about the Imperial force still being stationed in Hammerfell.

I'm worried i'm going to level up health or magicka or stamina too much aonly to find out later on that i didn't need to because of some item or equipment that makes it unnecessary. Any advice on stat distribution in that regard?

This might not be the best advice if you are min/maxing, but I'm sticking to a relatively balanced approach, slightly favouring health and stamina on my warrior/thief characters and magika/health on my mage.

I started by leveling everything to 150 by which point I felt I had a grasp of which stats I should favour for my build.

It makes perfect sense, you can even buy the strongest gem from some mage ina random town. Soul Gems aren't hard to come by and the basic mechanic of a larger gem being able to contain any soul that size and below has been around a long time, not to mention makes sense in context.

If you don't have anything but grand gems, why are you trying to soultrap foxes anyway?

I carry all kinds of soul gems with me. Petty/Lesser ones are good for recharging enchanted weapons. I shouldn't have to count how many of each are filled before my better soul gems start being wasted. And I don't know about you, but I also don't know what type of soul each and every enemy in the game has, and I shouldn't be forced to check.

I should be able to use Soul Trap on everything I see without having to worry about it biting me in the ass. The current system is badly designed, as it's a waste of time and a waste of money.

There's absolutely no reason why using Soul Trap on an enemy with a grand soul shouldn't fill a grand soul gem even if it's already got a weaker soul in it. Or at the very least, let us empty soul gems without destroying them.

Oh, and let's not forget that there's a weapon enchantment that automatically uses Soul Trap when it strikes an enemy. The current system means this enchantment is a hindrance/useless at best, because god forbid a wolf starts attacking you.

It was concede to the Concordat terms, or die. They made a tough, but necessary decision. A decision anyone would have made, perhaps excepting Ulfric Stormcloak, who'd rather see himself and his people slaughtered in the name of maintaining pride and honor.

Hammerfell is complicated. The Empire officially withdrew from Hammerfell, true, but they left behind enough legionaries "under the radar" to help them fend off the next Dominion offensive. They're by no means dead in the water, even if they (the Redguards) perceive it to be so.

eso76

guys, need advice.

Forelhost.

wow, an amazing dungeon but after hours of killing druagrs i've come to a door that requires a glass claw, which i don't have and can't find around

now, before i get crazy looking for it inside the dungeon...i guess Forelhost is part of a quest and i can't proceed because i randomly entered there, right ? the key is not there right ?
i don't have any lockpick with me and there are a couple locked chests and doors where i am, but the game never required lockpicking to proceed...

unrelated: not being able to arrange items by value, weight and even sorted by date (when you acquired them) is very annoying.

guys, need advice.

Forelhost.

wow, an amazing dungeon but after hours of killing druagrs i've come to a door that requires a glass claw, which i don't have and can't find around

now, before i get crazy looking for it inside the dungeon...i guess Forelhost is part of a quest and i can't proceed because i randomly entered there, right ? the key is not there right ?
i don't have any lockpick with me and there are a couple locked chests and doors where i am, but the game never required lockpicking to proceed...

I just finished that dungeon an hour ago after randomly stumbling into it.
You dont need to lockpick to proceed. A claw is the key to the final room. The claw sits on a pedestal a few rooms away from the door. I stumbled upon it using Nighteye actually. I'm not sure if the spot is well lit but I didnt notice the glass claw until I had nighteye on and turned at a certain angle. I overlooked it previously myself. The door combo is fox, owl, snake.

Sianos

So i am doing Silenced Tongues quest. but cant kill the boss at the end kevenel?
i am level 13 i think yet he kills me in 3 4 hits :(

Yeah, you should wait and tackle him a bit later. He has a companion Dragur Scrouge who can summon frost atronatch. I took him on again at 19 and didn't have as much trouble. Still a fun, challenging fight, but managable.

Can I sell all dragon skulls/bones? Is there any other use for them

You can craft dragonbone/dragonscale armor with the appropriate perk, or you can (MQ SPOILERS)
sell them to Esbern after you've killed Paarthurnax, should you decide to do that
. Otherwise, yeah, you can sell 'em.

Random question; how do I mount weapons on the racks in my Whiterun house? I want to display them like you see then hung on random racks throughout Skyrim.

Random question; how do I mount weapons on the racks in my Whiterun house? I want to display them like you see then hung on random racks throughout Skyrim.

In my experience, that rack is always bugged. In a working rack, all you need to do is equip the weapon you want to display, then interact with the rack and it'll show up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh, and let's not forget that there's a weapon enchantment that automatically uses Soul Trap when it strikes an enemy. The current system means this enchantment is a hindrance/useless at best, because god forbid a wolf starts attacking you.

I'm not sure I share any of your complaints, but... that enchantment seems to me to be quite useful in the sense of having a specific weapon you switch to when you want to hunt souls. If that's the enchantment you have on your main weapon when you get attacked by a wolf it seems like it's being misused.

eso76

I just finished that dungeon an hour ago after randomly stumbling into it.
You dont need to lockpick to proceed. A claw is the key to the final room. The claw sits on a pedestal a few rooms away from the door. I stumbled upon it using Nighteye actually. I'm not sure if the spot is well lit but I didnt notice the glass claw until I had nighteye on and turned at a certain angle. I overlooked it previously myself. The door combo is fox, owl, snake.

son of a bitch, it fell on the ground and was lying there with tons of other garbage items.
thank you, would have never found it.
one of those druagr must have fus ro dah-ed it off the pedestal. only thing hinting at something being there was the pedestal top would react to pressure and weight...in fact i was putting books on it to see if it unlocked anything.
heading to the final room prepared to be mauled to death.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well, I can get companions now, thankfully.

But now I've lost Meeko. I can't find him anywhere and he's not at his shack.

Dresden

I carry all kinds of soul gems with me. Petty/Lesser ones are good for recharging enchanted weapons. I shouldn't have to count how many of each are filled before my better soul gems start being wasted. And I don't know about you, but I also don't know what type of soul each and every enemy in the game has, and I shouldn't be forced to check.

I should be able to use Soul Trap on everything I see without having to worry about it biting me in the ass. The current system is badly designed, as it's a waste of time and a waste of money.

There's absolutely no reason why using Soul Trap on an enemy with a grand soul shouldn't fill a grand soul gem even if it's already got a weaker soul in it. Or at the very least, let us empty soul gems without destroying them.

Then just carry two weapons. Soul gems are so cheap and later on you don't have anything to buy, anyways.

brentech

In my experience, that rack is always bugged. In a working rack, all you need to do is equip the weapon you want to display, then interact with the rack and it'll show up.

It's worked for me. What hasn't worked is trying to place a stolen weapon on a rack or in a display case. Games just throws it on the floor.

Thanks! I hope I do find him though, I don't want him to die. I think Wulf will be pleased that Odin after much deliberation has joined the legion. For the empire!

qvrzpmdhe.gif

From now until the end of time, you and I are bro's.

Wulf needs to watch out for his property, though, before Sul comes around and steals it all. And then there's Rolf, the Talos-worshipping Altmer. There are troubled times in the land of Skyrim.

I'm loving Mercurio. I'm not sure I want to give him up unless there is someone better out there. I've given him a staff that summons deadra, a zombie staff, a fireball staff and a shocking staff. He slings spell effects all over the place.

Lingxor

Who else ordered the physical soundtrack from DirectSong? I still haven't received mine and can't get a response from them.

Top Bottom