• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I actually think he's about as bland and one-note as ol' Kit. His performance is my biggest issue with the show, although to be fair the script hasn't given him much to work with yet on the character front.

Agreed, then again Holden's character is also bland and one note. I also just finally realized that the dude playing Amos is that same dude from The Unit, he beefed up.

EDIT:

Oh and I just realized that the corporate spy in the recent episode is Adamn Jensen.

is it just me or does holden look a lot like jon snow

It's Game of Thrones... in space!!!

Can someone explain what exactly the OPA represents? I get they were an organization created to protect the rights of Belters and other off-world colonies. At what point did they get so corrupt?

The complexities and relationships between the two major planets and other factions fascinating but at times I do find myself getting a bit lost when it comes to the OPA's intentions.

Moff

Can someone explain what exactly the OPA represents? I get they were an organization created to protect the rights of Belters and other off-world colonies. At what point did they get so corrupt?

The complexities and relationships between the two major planets and other factions fascinating but at times I do find myself getting a bit lost when it comes to the OPA's intentions.

the novels were marketed as game of thrones in space, because of their POV structure and because one of the writers is one of GRRM's assistants. that's also the reason why there is usually a quote from him praising the books on their covers.
needlees to say, it's something completely different.

I think you are spot on on the OPA, there isn't really that much more to know.
is it really that important to know at what point they became corrupt? they are just a very loose organization.

the novels were marketed as game of thrones in space, because of their POV structure and because one of the writers is one of GRRM's assistants. that's also the reason why there is usually a quote from him praising the books on their covers.
needlees to say, it's something completely different.

I think you are spot on on the OPA, there isn't really that much more to know.
is it really that important to know at what point they became corrupt? they are just a very loose organization.

I was just making a joke about Holden's look being compared to Jon Snow. It is interesting to hear about the POV structure of the books though. I am considering picking them up after Season 1 is done.

The Expanse the show feels quite different than GoT the show or the series of books. I did find the comparison used in marketing odd in that context.

Also, good to know that I seem to have the OPA figured out. I was worried that I was missing something. I thought there was more structure to the organization I guess. I assumed they were meant to be official representation for the Belters when dealing with the Earth or Mars.

RS4-

Lol at the asteroid miner bit. Interested to see where they'll take that. I think I know what they're doing, but could be wrong.

Nor did I expect the Roci to look like that with the modifications.

Sucks about Hair Time and his boss doing him in like that. Why couldn't these eps be an hour long :(

suzu

It was just to show how desperate and frustrated many belters are or can get. The uncle felt like enough was enough. His nephew felt differently, but well.. that's that.

Kinda like the story with Anderson and his sister. Not aware there was any other point to that whole uncle/nephew stuff.

It was just to show how desperate and frustrated many belters are or can get. The uncle felt like enough was enough. His nephew felt differently, but well.. that's that.

Kinda like the story with Anderson and his sister. Not aware there was any other point to that whole uncle/nephew stuff.

No, I got that. But there are other posters saying things along the lines of, "Ooooh, I see where they're going with that..."

This makes me think they're alluding to something bigger at play that I didn't catch at first glance.

lt519

"Alex" and "Fred" having fun on twitter:

ZJIZEfr.png

U0ODriz.png

https://twitter.com/ChadLColeman/status/687113564885090304

Cas Anvar's feed is actually a pretty funny read.

Jackpot

Banned
I think I missed the broader significance of the asteroid miner and his nephew.

Can someone elaborate?

It was a (somewhat rushed) look at the rising background conflict between Belters and the inner planets due to events. The cops mentioned the Donager being destroyed as their motivation for being extra dickish and then the guy did a suicide run as an even bigger escalation.

RS4-

I think I missed the broader significance of the asteroid miner and his nephew.

Can someone elaborate?

Speculation, but it's a book spoiler, so I don't think you should really click it unless you've read them. And I mean all of them.

Remember when Naomi asked Fred to find someone for her?

If you're caught up in the books, you'll probably get it. At least that's where I think they're going. Weird change, I know.

Moff

Speculation, but it's a book spoiler, so I don't think you should really click it unless you've read them. And I mean all of them.

Remember when Naomi asked Fred to find someone for her?

If you're caught up in the books, you'll probably get it. At least that's where I think they're going. Weird change, I know.

Nemesis games
yeah they definitely introduce that, in an earlier episode in the donnager interrgotation they said she was ex-OPA, that was not in the books at that point, at least I remember reading that for the first time in nemesis games. and the request for fred is most definitely her son.
so you think that's her son drifting in space there?
I wonder there they are going with this, maybe the speed up everything, maybe there won't be that whole venus thins and they turn eros straight into the ring

lt519

Just caught up. Good episode as always and I feel like they actually got to spend some time with the crew when they weren't scrambling or in danger which was nice. Great recap by Miller at the end pulling it altogether but only to get shut down hard. About to get exciting!

Ledhead

Man I REALLY like this show. Definitely more a 'mature' sci fi...something that is really difficult to find nowadays. I didn't catch his name, but the OPA boss Miller keeps dealing with has a really neat accent. Makes me think of British english mixed with a Chinese accent.

Their intentions are exactly as stated, but they've been denied legitimate status by the UN and Mars, and so turn to violence to resist oppression. Remember these are people dealing with government and corporate powers who can limit the oxygen supply if Belter labor doesn't comply.

Imagine working in a factory with no safety precautions, and when you turn to the government for aid they tell you to suck it up, then turn a blind eye when the factory owners send in a goon squad to rough you up for speaking out.

Now imagine that's your life all the time.

The OPA mimics many real life organizations who have tried to resist corrupt oppression through violence. It's not a new idea. So it's not corruption, just that they can only operate outside the law or where sympathizers give them aid. Hell, there's been armed conflict between labor and government in the US, and they weren't even in space!

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
I didn't catch his name, but the OPA boss Miller keeps dealing with has a really neat accent. Makes me think of British english mixed with a Chinese accent.

Anderson Dawes (played by Jared Harris, who is killing it). I get more of a quasi-South African feel from the accent, though. I wonder if it's something they worked up for the show specifically.

lt519

Man I REALLY like this show. Definitely more a 'mature' sci fi...something that is really difficult to find nowadays. I didn't catch his name, but the OPA boss Miller keeps dealing with has a really neat accent. Makes me think of British english mixed with a Chinese accent.

Yeah, Anderson Dawes I believe, I love his character. Story about his sister was great stuff. The bar scene he had with Miller a couple episodes was good stuff too.

They heard some researchers found something seriously awesome and were moving it, they decided to steal it for themselves.

The rest is mystery!

So he sent Julie on that mission to steal the tech but The Scopuli got wrecked by that mystery group with the warships with the stealth tech?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

The OPA is angry people at how Mars and Earth treat belters\spacers, and how they don't have a voice in saying how the system is ran.

The rest is really consequence.

Gahhhh, so good! I'm nearly halfway done with the 4th book and the show keeps getting better and better. I love Miller so much. And yeah, Jared Harris is killing it as Dawes. His performance and accent are on point. I'm so glad they captured the Belter patois.

GAF.

Banned
The nephew is the kid that got busted by Miller for stealing water. :p lol

is that who it was lol

I was wondering where the pay off of the story.

really liking the Detective story. I used to hate it, but becomes my favorite

Zoe

Anderson Dawes (played by Jared Harris, who is killing it). I get more of a quasi-South African feel from the accent, though. I wonder if it's something they worked up for the show specifically.

I'm not all that familiar with SA accents, but that's immediately what I thought of as well.

RS4-

I knew that I was growing my hair for a reason.

And I did not realize that asteroid kid was the waterboy.

Ledhead

Just finished ep.6. You might be right on the SA accent. It certainly sounds close but I hadn't thought of it. My ex-gf was Chinese and I was around her family a decent amount and got used to their English pronunciation. Dawes pronounced certain syllables in a similar way, hence me thinking of that hahaha.

foxtrot3d

Banned

I'm guessing it's supposed to be more of a Dutch accent like the books stipulate but who knows.

Yeah, he did a great job.

Miller's detective storyline has been pretty awesome.

Is that Adam Jensen as the spy?

Haha, nice.

Just caught up. Good episode as always and I feel like they actually got to spend some time with the crew when they weren't scrambling or in danger which was nice. Great recap by Miller at the end pulling it altogether but only to get shut down hard. About to get exciting!

Yeah, can't wait for next week.

Oh, really? LOL
I didn't realize it either, thanks.

Yeah, Jared Harris and Aghdashloo (Avasarala) are totally killing it, I could just watch hours and hours of them on screen playing their characters. Fred Johnson isn't quite matching up to what I expected, I was thinking an older guy and, well, skinnier (lol) but I loved the actor on the Wire so I'll wait and see.

Man I wish this was on Netflix, I want to marathon through the entire season and watch it again so bad. I CAN'T WAIT ANOTHER WEEK, DAMMIT

So glad its got a season 2, I would be seriously bummed if this was only a one season show. Now the work begins to beat the drums and get everyone into the show so season 2 starts off super strong.

Wanted to legitimately catch up on The Expanse, but Syfy ol punk ass don't even have an Android app for Syfy Now. But they have a Windows Phone app. Makes no sense.

GavinUK86

Oh yeah, I had no idea it was the same kid. Good eye!

1ifqje.jpg
2wdrcz.jpg

Another great episode. I LOVE Anderson Dawes and Jared Harris' accent. He seamlessly switches from South African(?) to cockney in the same sentence, lol, amazing.

Paganmoon

I believe the uncle even mentioned "going back to stealing water on Ceres" or something.

And I see a lot of people comparing this to BSG, and I think that's doing the show a disservice, this is way better than BSG.

That kid Diogo is actually a character in the book.

In Leviathan Wakes
Miller crashes with him after Eros, he was the "Oi Pawpaw" guy.

It's interesting they're introducing him and using his screentime to show us the Belter's struggle. The writers are doing some real intelligent things with the characters, especially with Dawes and Holden, I like it a lot.

Top Bottom