• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

Books are awesome. They are light to read [that's not a bad thing], but they have so much more detail than show. Dismissing them based on few random comments would be a waste.

This. The show is good and arguably better overall due to a number of little inclusions, like backstories and it presents the characters better IMO [Personally, the show makes Holden's crewmates feel more like main characters], but the story is better presented in the books.

lt519

Thanks for the negative words on the books. Was thinking of reading because the show is so good but I guess I'll just hope the show keeps going.

Yeah don't skip the books. I don't think they are as good as Old Man's War, Forever War, or Frontlines, which are more militaristic, and some of the classics (Arthur C Clarke, et al), but they are still great. The books are more political/mystery which is a nice change of pace from typical Pop-Sci and can be very interesting. Books 3 and 4 are a lull, but they aren't bad, just average. They write the books in pairs, so you could read 1 and 2 and be satisfied stopping too.

I have to admit I watched this on DVR last night while also ploughing through the Twitter responses to Trump showing off his all caps best temperament, so while I got the overall gist of what was going on I didn't spend a yuuuuuuge amount of time focused.

Dammit. Fine. I'll check out Book 1.

So does season 1 correlate to Book 1 or is it organized differently?

Listen, I thought the first book was mostly trash but you should read and decide on your own. It was just odd coming from such rich language and wonderful world-building in ASOIAF to whatever The Expanse series is. What struck me as weird about the books is how poor a job it does actually explaining the "lore" of the world to you. It just starts throwing around words like OPA, Mars, Belters without ever telling you what they really are or why you should care.

Then there are things that make me scratch my head like the language. As we know Belters speak a hog podge of I think English, Portuguese, German, and some other stuff. But, the books make a deal about how non-Belters have trouble understand them. Why? What I mean is that the books never establish that there is any sort of universal solar language, like say English, in fact Mars was colonized heavily by Russina irrc. So why would they be surprised that Belters speak a different language? I'd be like going to China and then getting weird and upset that everyone was speaking Chinese, what did you expect?

But, like I said, you should check out for yourself and decide on your own if it's something you're interested in. I just know that the further the show strays from the books the happier I'll be, and maybe, just maybe they can give Holden an actual personality.

suzu

It might not be to your liking, but Holden does have a personality. :p

There's good stuff in the books and the show is a fine adaptation so far. The authors are pretty deep into the show's writing too.

But anyway, to anyone on the fence about the books, just give them a try if you're at all interested in the show.

Listen, I thought the first book was mostly trash but you should read and decide on your own. It was just odd coming from such rich language and wonderful world-building in ASOIAF to whatever The Expanse series is. What struck me as weird about the books is how poor a job it does actually explaining the "lore" of the world to you. It just starts throwing around words like OPA, Mars, Belters without ever telling you what they really are or why you should care.
Well that's why I was ready to walk away--the last series I read was ASOIAF and it kept me on board because it was well written and so descriptive, down to all the details of what comprised the food on the table. I read all day at work and for the most part don't feel like reading on my free time.

But if the writing is simple I will also speed through it and I do want to know more background so I'll give book 1 a shot. Not buying a set though.

The Expanse books are better than ASOIAF precisely because they don't get bogged down in all the unnecessary world-building that Martin feels compelled to vomit onto the page.

The worst of the Expanse novels shits all over whatever the hell A Dance With Dragons was.

I loved ADWD, lol. And AFFC before it, even though the friend who told me to read that series didn't even like that book herself. Ah well, we'll see. Sounds like it's not a very comparable series even though people keep calling this GOT in space.

suzu

I loved ADWD, lol. And AFFC before it, even though the friend who told me to read that series didn't even like that book herself. Ah well, we'll see. Sounds like it's not a very comparable series even though people keep calling this GOT in space.

Yeeeeah... ASOIAF in space it is not. lol

For what it's worth, GRRM also likes The Expanse series. :p

Paganmoon

Yeeeeah... ASOIAF in space it is not. lol

For what it's worth, GRRM also likes The Expanse series. :p

For what it's worth, Ty Franck used to be GRRM's assistant (and still was for a bit after the first book was released iirc), so his endorsement on the cover of Leviathan Wakes could very well be biased :)

DieH@rd

Banned
Expanse is space opera, and thus, it has totally appropriate level of readability. It's flows fast and nice. It is not, and has never aimed to be high-end science fiction. It's fun adventures in semi-realistic space setting that was written in a cooperation of professional writer and a total novice.

Well, I can't say which else, but I don't hear any Afrikaans / Dutch accent. Maybe I'm biased as a native speaker of Dutch, but the tone sounds more Creole or Portuguese -or perhaps random overlap of languages- to me than Germanic-base.

It's a creole language, a blending of multiple languages. Inspired by various creole languages that have cropped up in various multi-lingual environments.

Expanse is space opera, and thus, it has totally appropriate level of readability. It's flows fast and nice. It is not, and has never aimed to be high-end science fiction. It's fun adventures in semi-realistic space setting that was written in a cooperation of professional writer and a total novice.

Being a space opera doesn't excuse lack luster writing and characterizations. Mass Effect is a space opera so is Star Wars (OT). Both were well written.

Same. They are the best books in the series next to ASOS.

Crispy75

Hey guys, saw this show popping up on Netflix here in Germany.
What is this show like? Any other series to compare it to?

Battlestar Galactica (modern version), due to the gritty and grounded sets/setting and quality SFX/production design. Also Game of Thrones cos there's a load of morally grey characters doing right and wrong things for wrong and right reasons, and an existential threat that nobody's paying enough attention to.

It's the best space sci-fi on TV since BSG, which it surpasses in some ways (for one: the authors know exactlyl how The Expanse is going to end)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I can't get over how perfect the casting on Amos is, he absolutely nails that character.

Yuuuup.

YGal79l.jpg

Hey guys, saw this show popping up on Netflix here in Germany.
What is this show like? Any other series to compare it to?

I get people to watch it by just calling it "Space Game of Thrones".

Multiple factions on the verge of war with a greater threat looming in the distance.

DBT85

Does anyone know when Dark Matter S3 is premiering?

Likely June or July same as S1 and S2.

Actually I was really pleasantly surprised with S2.

I binge watched Dark Matter and Killjoys S1 over a couple of days at work. I liked both, but I preferred Killjoys. Season 2, however, I loved Dark Matter and still haven't even finished Killjoys.

RS4-

Likely June or July same as S1 and S2.

Actually I was really pleasantly surprised with S2.

I binge watched Dark Matter and Killjoys S1 over a couple of days at work. I liked both, but I preferred Killjoys. Season 2, however, I loved Dark Matter and still haven't even finished Killjoys.

Not a fan of KJs. The main 3 just aren't that interesting to me. DM on the other hand, hell of a lot of fun.

ShaneB

Wanted to love Bobbi from what I read in the books, but just feels like a miss for me on the show. She needs to be bigger.

Spoilers..

Guess I'll just wait and see how she interacts with Avasarala

RS4-

Jesus, was looking up Chatham's IMDB, I only remembered him from Hunger Games, then I looked down the list and noticed The Unit and Barbershop lol.

Completely forgot that he was in it.

Hyun Sai

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be as hooked without Wes Chatham and Thomas Jane. They irradiate such a presence compared to the other actors...

I wish for more Jared Harris too.

Ernest

Banned
Wanted to love Bobbi from what I read in the books, but just feels like a miss for me on the show. She needs to be bigger.

Spoilers..

I can't quite put my finger on it, but the actress playing Bobbie Draper really bugs the crap out of me.
Besides not being whatsoever convincing as some sort of badass, she has a really annoyingly mopey look on her face at most times. She's probably trying to look stern, but she can't seem to pull it off.

Regardless, I'm digging where the story's been going. Nice to have some sold sci-fi back on TV.

That scientist character they were interrogating was great. Loved his almost childlike exuberance when talking about his project. More solid casting.

Jag

Spoilers..

I pictured more of a Gwendoline Christie/Brienne type for Bobbie. Amos acts his part perfectly, but I also pictured Amos looking more like how Drax is played by Bautista in Guardians. Just menacing and unhinged.

As far as the books, I absolutely love them. Just fun pulpy, space fantasy.

ValfarHL

I can't quite put my finger on it, but the actress playing Bobbie Draper really bugs the crap out of me.
Besides not being whatsoever convincing as some sort of badass, she has a really annoyingly mopey look on her face at most times. She's probably trying to look stern, but she can't seem to pull it off.

Regardless, I'm digging where the story's been going. Nice to have some sold sci-fi back on TV.

Yep, she's mostly annoying and cringey, and is honestly almost ruining that part of the story for me..

I pictured more of a Gwendoline Christie/Brienne type for Bobbie. Amos acts his part perfectly, but I also pictured Amos looking more like how Drax is played by Bautista in Guardians. Just menacing and unhinged.

As far as the books, I absolutely love them. Just fun pulpy, space fantasy.

The amount of times I've heard this suggested... I think people only say it because it's pretty much the only woman of that kind of size they've seen.

suzu

Well, they haven't really shown us much of Bobbie in action yet. She's coming off kinda like an overzealous and naive rookie (all of her crew too).. which is understandable at this point. So we'll see.

I never understood the Brienne comments. Bobbie is suppose to be tall and attractive, which the actress fits. I guess it doesn't help that a lot of the Mars/Belter actors aren't towering over Earthers like they are in the books. :p

Also, from io9:

- Last Night's Expanse Was More Proof That It's the Best Scifi Show on TV

They focus on the Holden / Amos conversation about Cortázar and interview Chatham and Strait about how they played it. Some spoilers for The Churn, though it's just some Amos back story.

Loved Amos in this episode~ Chatham fits him to a T, despite not looking anything like the character.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't want to be one of those guys...and this has happened plenty of times before where I had to warm up to a show.

Is this show a slow burn? I just started s1 and thought the pilot was freaking boring. How many episodes should i give it? I'm definitely not one to give up on a show on the pilot alone. Still trying to get into The Man in the High Tower after like 5 episodes lol

I've seen some Battlestar Galactica comparisons (but that could just be b/c of sci-fi genre?) but that show grabbed me from the start. Albeit I think that show's first two episodes were considered a TV movie iirc? So the plot moved a bit more quickly there.

I don't want to be one of those guys...and this has happened plenty of times before where I had to warm up to a show.

Is this show a slow burn? I just started s1 and thought the pilot was freaking boring. How many episodes should i give it? I'm definitely not one to give up on a show on the pilot alone. Still trying to get into The Man in the High Tower after like 5 episodes lol

I've seen some Battlestar Galactica comparisons (but that could just be b/c of sci-fi genre?) but that show grabbed me from the start. Albeit I think that show's first two episodes were considered a TV movie iirc? So the plot moved a bit more quickly there.

Considering that it didn't cover the whole first book in a single season I say it could have moved faster, but it is because it is introducing plots and characters from book 2 that would make sense to have since the start. That said, the fist book is mystery fiction so it will raise big questions early on, I think those were already there by episode 2-3.

I gave up on the show last year after episode two, but after the buzz I binged it last weekend. I agree the first few are dreadfully slow but the first season is definitely paced like a novel. It picks up in 3 and 4 and has a good pace from then on. I'm pretty sure you'll find it worth your time.

One of the things I love about the books is that they truly give the reader good examples of just how large our solar system is and how long it takes to travel / communicate between places. In the books I could understand the time delay when someone on Mars sending transmissions to Eros. The picture being painted of a week long journey between planets or moons was clear. From what I can tell in the show, this magic seems to be missing.

I just finished episode 1 of season 2. I watched all of season 1 last year, so I'm a bit foggy on small details, so I'm hoping someone can correct me. I still love the show and want many more seasons. I just hope that the show is able to convey the sense of scale to the general viewer that might not understand how vast our solar system is.

DrSlek

One of the things I love about the books is that they truly give the reader good examples of just how large our solar system is and how long it takes to travel / communicate between places. In the books I could understand the time delay when someone on Mars sending transmissions to Eros. The picture being painted of a week long journey between planets or moons was clear. From what I can tell in the show, this magic seems to be missing.

I just finished episode 1 of season 2. I watched all of season 1 last year, so I'm a bit foggy on small details, so I'm hoping someone can correct me. I still love the show and want many more seasons. I just hope that the show is able to convey the sense of scale to the general viewer that might not understand how vast our solar system is.

In the first episode they explicitly state that they'd need to flip and hard burn for 2 days in order to get within 50k kilometres of the Scopuli....and they were the closest ship that could respond.

I imagine once the ring appears, they'll begin talking a lot more about how long it takes to travel in space.

suzu

Be careful with book spoilers. /o\

Yeah, it's a slow burn. If it doesn't hook you by episode 4, then it's probably not your kinda show.

Top Bottom